What was GOOD about the PS3? (Plat Cast Topic)

Bushido7745785

Hey gang! 

@ChernobylNinja and I run a podcast titled, "Plat Cast", where we ask community questions here and read your answers on the show! 

This week we'd like to ask:

"What was GOOD about the PS3?"

Was it the library of games? Did you like the fact that it played Blu-rays? Did you enjoy the wireless controllers? The ability to play online with each other for free? What about the PS3 did you just LOVE? 

(Save any negative memories or thoughts for the next week, we're starting with the good first! ;) ) 

Thanks all! Looking forward to your answers. We appreciate your support and passion! ?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I liked the wireless controllers, the improved R2 and L2 buttons on the controller, and it added the trophy system. Usually, I'd explore/collect everything in games and now I'd trophies for it, which added something new to gaming.

And Blu-rays. Woop woop

First, rechargeable, wireless controllers. Probably saved me hundreds of dollars on new batteries. 

Secondly, the library is also awesome, and I loved the ability to buy some of my favorite PS classics on it. I never thought I'd be able to play Tomba again, but jumped up and down when I saw it hit the store. I think that alone will make me never get rid of my PS3 (until it dies), unless Sony releases them on the PS4 with trophies.

I kinda like the question and thought I'll leave my 2 cents here.

There were actually many things I liked about the PS3, will start with small things and finish with the biggest one.

- wireless controllers for the first time

- trophy system introduction to show off what your skill level was (at least that was the purpose at the beginning, now it's a dick measurement who can buy more japanese novels)

- free multiplayer which back then wasn't special since I didn't know it the other way like it is right now on ps4

- my first Resident Evil 5 and MGS4 experience, those 2 games were the reason I bought a PS3, loved both of them and wasn't disappointed with the ps3

- games I`ve learned about through the ps3 (games like Spelunker HD, Battle Fantasia, Payday The Heist) - those wouldn't be titles i buy a console for but I've fallen in love with them at first sight

- thanks to the trophy system I discovered my love for fighting games! I never liked them before ps3 but then I saw people complaining about Street Fighter 4 being super difficult to get platinum in and I wanted to try it out myself. After playing the game with a buddy on the couch for a few hours I started to like fighting games, which turned into love and passion :D

The most important thing i liked about ps3 though:

- People I met through the PSN. It was my first online experience, playing with other people and communicating with them. I met sooo many fantastic people, I keep contact with them since 2009! Foreigners from Portugal, Canada and other countries. I also met some awesome people from Germany, where I live. Although we live far away from each other, it didn't stop us to meet at my place or other places multiple times. People I met were just as cool in person as they were online and we had a blast having a trip through bars or having a party for my birthday a few years back :D That is the one thing I liked ps3 for the most :P

Firstly was the ability to game in HD, it was the PS3 that prompted me to buy my first HD TV.

wireless controllers were a big step forward from the PS2.

The ability to purchase digital content from a dedicated store was very convenient and over time my digital library has outgrown my physical one.

The evolution of online play. I remember my laugh PS3 and being able to play motorstorm against other human players, having some amazing times on Rainbow 6 Vegas and COD4 without having the network adapter the PS2 used.

The actual games saw a jump up in quality for me. I invested more time into single player games such as Uncharted, Last of Us and Sleeping Dogs rather than sticking to my ‘go to’ sports games.

Trophy support was the final thing that means I try to complete as much of a game as possible now rather than just the main story 

I think the fact it had such a diverse range of games to cater to all audiences more so towards the middle/end of its life cycle. Does not matter what your genre was you would have something there for you especially niche games! Also them lifting the region lock on games unlike the PS2 was a bonus too. 

Shame a lot of titles like Folklore and Mini Ninjas did not see more of a lease of life on the PS4 

If it wouldn't for the fact of the closed arquitecture and the minimum internal memory I'd say it was a BEAST.

I liked it, supported super audio cd, many storage ports, backwards compatibility, the blu ray that in many aspects is ultra better than DVD.

Beautiful, beautiful entertainment system.

So alot of things people skipped over these...

It made my tv smart before smartTVs were really a thing. (Netflix, vudu, wwe, etc)

Memory cards died as a console thing (remember managing saves on ps1 and ps2)

Free to play games (Like PS Home bowling alley or dcu online). It gave uou something to do right out of the box.

UPGRADABLILITY!!!! (pause for amens)... You could upgrade your HDD with anything off the shelf and Sony not only didn't mind, they basically walked you though it (I still have my original 160gb hdd as an external drive).

Media free gaming. No needing a cartridge or disc.

Better interface than vita or ps4 (they are sloppy)

Better controllers than ps4 (no worthless light or "was a fad" touchpad).

But for me the best feature, which I still use, which PS4 still doesn't have, is the ability to store media locally on the system. My favorite movies, wallpaper, and music instantly. No bandwidth wasting downloading/streaming, no need a usb drive plugged in, no need to subscribe to this monthly service. PS4 just got custom wallpaper this year...

Edited by MySenkai
  • Like 1

I will always maintain that the PS3 XMB was a great interface. It was simple and clear, yet powerful enough that it never needed a major redesign, unlike the Xbox 360, which got at least 2 AFAIK. Many people like to bash it for being slow, but the reality is that it was only slow because of the lack of RAM. The interface itself was just the best.

The exclusive games were awesome. Sometimes I wish Sony would get kicked around a bit by Microsoft, because the PlayStation division fighting for relevance can produce some incredible results.

First and foremost, it got me hooked with the girl I love. What more can you ask of a console, really? ? Or rather, that's the angle I like to look at it. It's a funny story that I have already shared a number of times on this site here and there. I was originally most of a Nintendo and PC gamer back then but the girl I knew at college was this huge Sony fangirl. Of course, I needed something to get her impressed, especially because she was still playing with her PS2 and had little to no knowledge about what a PS3 could pull off. So, I went out of my way to get a PS3 near the mid of its life cycle. More than 7 years later and, even if we are going through some tough times right now, I always say the PS3 helped me in hooking up with her. Ridiculous? I know! But again, that's how it went for me ;) My first Platinum, Resident Evil 5 was the first game we went through together and a very fitting first Platinum for me. I guess you could say I scored big time on that one :awesome:

Second, the jump to HD visuals. It was such a major turning point for me. As a matter of fact, I actually began playing with my PS3 on a 21'' CRT TV I still have around because, well, I couldn't afford an HDTV at the time nor I was initially interested in one. After hooking the console with an HDMI cable to a 32'' flat-screen inch my father had in his room, I knew things had to change >.< Everything looked so crisp and clear, and the colors were so vibrant that I knew I was missing big time on picture quality.

Third, trophies or just having an achievement system in general. I know is minor things for some and a major for others but for me, it's just a nice convenient feature to have. I love having a checklist of goals and things to do in video games and the fact that it can be shared, commented and talked about with others online for fun, makes it a worthwhile feature for me.

I have never been too much of a fan of online gaming but having free online on PS3, even if it wasn't the absolute greatest, was a nice feature. Actually, still is ^^

Sooooo, yeah, those are the good things of PS3 for me. :)