Damn you, Winter 2018-19.

RadiantFlamberge

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/7-reasons-hate-winter-cold

I can think of only 2 good things about winter.  One is the lack of bugs, but that's little consolation for all the shit you have to put up with.  The cold, the snow & ice (especially when it's on your car windows & you gotta scrape them), dressing in 3+ layers, early sunsets (meaning it's dark around 4:30-5:00 PM), bad driving conditions & longer travel time, etc.   You also just don't feel like getting out of bed in the morning because of the cold temps. The second?  Winter ends, but it's not like that comes soon enough.  This time it started a bit too early... like the end of October.

Having 4 seasons is overrated.  Meanwhile in Finland? It's actually a little warmer there than it is in the Northeast USA.   Hearing anyone gripe about it being hot next summer may send me into tsundere mode.  While the heat can be a bit rough when it's over 92 F, come on.  That's good weather to hit the pool or a water park. Summer's never that bad.  Winter can just go to hell.

xD

One of the many reasons why I love living in Arizona (high of 75F, low of 50F today). The only things on that list which apply:

#2 - Everything takes longer, but it's only because all the snowbirds are coming in from the North. Not only are they mostly older folks (who tend to be slower in general), but the population increases, crowding everything.

#4 - People who love the winter are generally people who love the holidays... and they're super vocal and cheery about it. I'm not against people being happy and cheerful, but there's something so artificial about these types of people, which is what I don't like. We also get the types who actually love winter weather and complain that Arizona doesn't have it.... GO BACK TO MINNESOTA!

Edited by eigen-space

The only good thing about winter here in the northeast, USA, that I can say with absolute certainty...is that it keeps the neighborhood fuckwads inside. (I am of course talking about the packs of children that act like every day is a day in GTA San Andreas.) Everything else can fuck off.

Much prefer Florida's climate and lack of drastic seasonal change.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Feral said:

I'll swap you, Winter is a million times better than bloody Summer.

I agree, not a huge fan of Summer, makes it difficult to sleep at night, while I have no problem sleeping at night in Winter.

Only problem is with the topic title... it's actually almost summer over here (I believe in a few days... though the weather has been all over the place the last few weeks).

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DrakeHellsing said:

I agree, not a huge fan of Summer, makes it difficult to sleep at night, while I have no problem sleeping at night in Winter.

Only problem is with the topic title... it's actually almost summer over here (I believe in a few days... though the weather has been all over the place the last few weeks).

Same, lack of sleep is the biggest pain. 

Yeah Saturday is the 1st so there's Summer. Weather has been mental over here too, can't decide if it wants to be hot or cold then bloody storms start up.

29 minutes ago, Masamune said:

& things like hot chocolate & ramen just taste better when it's cold out. soAM827.gif

But why have a hot chocolate when you can have a Sprite Cranberry instead?

Now you too can have this jingle stuck in your head!

Edit: Oh no, I didn't even mean to rhyme that!

Edited by Redgrave

I HATE the heat. It makes everything 10X as worse. While you COULD go to the pool or the water park, you sort of have to be near one for that to work. The heat makes it so hard to anything outside, and while you can say the something about the cold, you can put on a bunch of layers and get the work done. You really can only take so much off before your neighbors start looking at you funny. Lastly, I love sleeping with a warm blanket to help me fall asleep faster. The heat will make me stay up for hours trying to find a cool place to sleep. Because of that, I can't get out of bed in the summer because I'm tired from the night before.

The only downside to the cold is 1. The snow. I hate snow. Snow has no use unlike rain. 2. No crops, which means I can't grow my own vegetables.

That being said, I would love it to be like 60 F. Just warm enough to sit on the porch swing and read a book and cold enough not to make you sweat. 

• Like 1

This is my problem with the Pacific Northwest.

Starting in October the weather quickly turns to clouds, rain, and the ever increasing chance of sleet and snow.

Due to Global Warming we don't get as cold of winters as we used to, but there is that 3 - 4 month period where there is usually a lot of rain. The days turn dark quick, today as a matter of fact it was dark at only 4:30 pm.

Then of course there is bad driving conditions, the fact that I don't like to get out of bed at 6 - 8 AM in the morning because of the dark, and so on.

If I was a rich man I would move to a city like San Diego, California or Miami, Florida. Plenty of sunshine and warm weather to go out and have a nice jog and bike ride. I grew up going to California, Nevada and Arizona so I'm pretty much used to the heat and the sun beating down.

The trip I took to Mexico back when I was in high school was a breath of fresh air compared to the cold, gritty mornings people in the Pacific Northwest and Atlantic Northeast have to deal with every winter.

As much as I want to go to Norway, Finland and Scotland, I wouldn't want to live in any of those countries due to the weather.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Redgrave said:

But why have a hot chocolate when you can have a Sprite Cranberry instead?

Now you too can have this jingle stuck in your head!

Edit: Oh no, I didn't even mean to rhyme that!

Haha, I already seen that commercial enough this season to the point where I started muting it when it comes on. xD 

I'm more of a ginger soda person anyway (although that stuff can be bought year-round, not just during winter). :P 

See the source image

I live the UK Northwest and in general we get a very mild temperate climate, never too cold (lowest would be 0-1 degrees Celcius (32F)), and in summer are highest is around 30C (86F).

Lots of wind and rain, rain and more rain. I used to live in Ireland before where it rained almost every day, but I think the two things I hate about winter in the British isles is all the rain we get and the darkness.

Snow just becomes sleet and hail, so no snowmans or skiing for us. Winter is is pretty much a grey and miserable season over here. It also gets dark super early, sun rises at like 8am and its pitch dark by 4pm, with sunset being literally half 3 in the afternoon. 

If theres even a spec of snow, the whole country kind of shuts down- motorways get clogged, schools close, flights cancel, the hospitals go into what we call the "NHS Winter Crisis" (nhs is the name of our health system)... we aren't trained to deal with snow here. It's also all that gets broadcasted on the news all day.

The best thing is Christmas! I don't have a religion so I don't celebrate Christmas like christians do, but I love all the Christmas markets, decorations, atmosphere etc. and of course the big sales that come afterwards. 

6 hours ago, Masamune said:

Haha, I already seen that commercial enough this season to the point where I started muting it when it comes on. xD 

I'm more of a ginger soda person anyway (although that stuff can be bought year-round, not just during winter). :P 

Initially I didn't like it but I think I've heard it so much I enjoy it in a way :P

I really should get to trying more flavors. Although they are usually in like peach from what I've seen. I remember there was a time there was raspberry and I really liked it but then I never saw it again at the store I go to. It was like I bought the only available flavor.

Unpopular opinion: I love winter. I don't particularly like driving in the snow, but the roads are kept very clean where I live so it isn't an issue most of the time. It's one of my favorite seasons. I can't really stand the heat so the cooler months are where it's at for me. 

Hot chocolate tastes more than a little too sweet for me.  It's like liquid candy... for my chocolate fix I'd rather break off a couple blocks of a Lindt Excellence 70% or 85% dark chocolate bar. I could have a Starbucks Cappuccino any day, any season.  But what I love most is their iced teas, especially in the summer.  I wish they had a Quaranta (40) size... it is that good, Trenta leaves me wanting a little more.

On 11/28/2018 at 10:29 AM, Masamune said:

I'm more of a ginger soda person anyway (although that stuff can be bought year-round, not just during winter).

If I ever find a bottle of that somewhere, I'm trying it.  How is it compared to Vernors?

8 hours ago, Spyro said:

They're saying this winter will be bad. On Sunday, had blizzard conditions for the first time in seven years. And it's pretty early for that here. It doesn't bode very well.

Oh shit... not good at all.  Blizzard conditions are the absolute worst.  I'm praying for no damned -40 F wind chills this year.  I remember how that was from a few years ago.  OMG really lousy.

The perfect day for me is somewhere from 67-87 F.

Oh, you want to do this? You want a Winter off...against a Winnipegger?

I present to you FACTS that we were colder than the North Pole AND Mars...FUCKING MARS.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/mars-and-the-north-pole-are-warmer-than-winnipeg-a-guide-to-how-damned-cold-it-is

Everyone made such a big deal about NASA landing on Mars...WE WERE FUCKING LIVING IT AT ONE POINT.

STuQLFM.png

• Like 2

Hate winter in general.

This ugly landscape with dead everything in pure white. In the same time it looks cool on pictures and other stuff, but in reality - dead land, the same as desert.

Overwhelming dirt everywhere.

Traffic jams and accidents are so heavy in this season, that roads barely moving all around the city, I can't stand this tempo.

And 'course the cold, that goddamn, non stop, no mercy, constant freezing. When it's for a week or two, I can stand it aight, but when it's for 6 months plus... uck it!

Plus for a picture above, I've been at very near the north pole, and I can tell that those 9 month of winter are no joke, just a total winter wonderland hell and complete let down. After this time I have no reasons left to like a winter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bloodytears1666 said:

snip

I have long wondered why the Russians I’ve encountered seem to have such charm/grace/humility... and wanted to ask. Maybe this is it - you guys suffer... a lot. It looks like your typical high is our freezing temp.

From your perspective does it seem like your people are more refined? Also, Is moving a possibility? Or are there tradeoffs that make the weather bearable or make you want to stay?

Anyway, if this thread were a winter contest, sounds like you win. ?

20 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Oh, you want to do this? You want a Winter off...against a Winnipegger?

I present to you FACTS that we were colder than the North Pole AND Mars...FUCKING MARS.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/mars-and-the-north-pole-are-warmer-than-winnipeg-a-guide-to-how-damned-cold-it-is

Everyone made such a big deal about NASA landing on Mars...WE WERE FUCKING LIVING IT AT ONE POINT.

OK... -22 C (-30 F)?  Now THAT is some nasty stuff, especially if it's temperature before the wind is factored in.  Your wind chill probably went lower than -40 F!

9 hours ago, Bloodytears1666 said:

This ugly landscape with dead everything in pure white. In the same time it looks cool on pictures and other stuff, but in reality - dead land, the same as desert.

Overwhelming dirt everywhere.

Traffic jams and accidents are so heavy in this season, that roads barely moving all around the city, I can't stand this tempo.

And 'course the cold, that goddamn, non stop, no mercy, constant freezing. When it's for a week or two, I can stand it aight, but when it's for 6 months plus... uck it!

I feel the same.  Freezing temperatures first hit me in the 2nd half of October & have continued on through most of November.  Should winter last through March, that'll mean 5 1/2 months. Winter is not even half as beautiful as artists can make it look in paintings.  The air just smells so bland without the scent of flowers.  Freezing rain is simply the worst.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gameoverDude189 said:

OK... -22 C (-30 F)?  Now THAT is some nasty stuff, especially if it's temperature before the wind is factored in.  Your wind chill probably went lower than -40 F!

I feel the same.  Freezing temperatures first hit me in the 2nd half of October & have continued on through most of November.  Should winter last through March, that'll mean 5 1/2 months. Winter is not even half as beautiful as artists can make it look in paintings.  The air just smells so bland without the scent of flowers.  Freezing rain is simply the worst.

Yeah that doesn't include Windchill. We have hit well below 40 with the windchill :(

Nothing like working at 7am (like I used to) going outside, scraping your car and braving -44 weather knowing that you are among the few stupid enough not to call in sick that day :P