Dark Mystery is the best YFT game out there (review)

starcrunch061

I meant to write this up before, but here we go:

YashFutureTech studios have given us such dreck as Horse Racing 2016, Super Kids Racing and The Unknown City, episode 1 (a candidate for the single worst game I've ever played). So, I'm happy to say that they finally created a game that approaches the worth of the price I paid for it (which was $.79).

Dark Mystery actually has the rudimentary elements of a game at its disposal. The game is a simple platformer, where you control a black blob that tries to save his (or possibly her) queen (it's hard to tell the gender of the protagonist from either its appearance or the game's description). You are accosted by various environmental hazards and two separate enemies: a flying enemy and a walking enemy. Your goal is to traverse the 35 stages. Succeeding at this, the game resets, possibly with a higher difficulty, I don't know (I only played it for a few minutes to grind some trophy kills).

The hardest part of the game is the the control, which is abysmal. Movement from left to right is fine enough, but jumping is very random. The game has a double jump mechanic, but the timing of it is unlike any double-jump I've ever seen. I never really got it right. The game has intermittent puzzles, all of which are easy to solve theoretically, but some of which are a bear to put into practice. Simple tasks like moving blocks or flipping switches can have dire consequences. At one point, I needed to flip a switch above a door to open the door. To get to the switch, I needed to navigate floating platforms over spikes. However, when I flipped the switch, the screen changes orientation, and I could no longer see the floating platform. I ended up having to time the damn thing in order to get back to the door.

The game's graphics are simple, but appealing. The music switches between a dark-ish piece to light piano tunes. Stages don't have dedicated music - it simply changes each time you die, and will likely annoy the crap out of you. Speaking of dying, you will die a LOT in this game. There are actually some hard sections to deal with (which already puts it ahead of Super Kids Racing). But the fun of navigating this often fizzles, due to the innumerable deaths that you will incur simply because of the bad controls.

Still, I had a modicum of enjoyment while playing this game. Fleeting though it was, I can honestly give this my highest YFT grade to day: 2 out of 10

If you're looking for a time waster, there are lots of better games out there. But I could have at least put a single quarter into this, were it a machine back in the 80s.

• Like 4

On 11/30/2018 at 10:54 AM, Angus1343 said:

I've been playing games for almost 30 years and this is by far this biggest pile of shit I've ever seen. I paid 0.79 for it to but the time lost playing it was worth a fortune.

LOL. It's not good, but I stand by my statement.

By the way, I'm listening to Whole Lotta Rosie right now. Some of your best work, Angus!

4 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

LOL. It's not good, but I stand by my statement.

By the way, I'm listening to Whole Lotta Rosie right now. Some of your best work, Angus!

Thanks ?

For real though, this game made me want to snap my controller in half more than anything else I have ever played, and believe me I have played many both challenging games and horrendous games. I have a good temper playing things for the most part but this had me raging because of terrible design.

16 minutes ago, Angus1343 said:

Thanks 1f600.png

For real though, this game made me want to snap my controller in half more than anything else I have ever played, and believe me I have played many both challenging games and horrendous games. I have a good temper playing things for the most part but this had me raging because of terrible design.

Yep. I can't disagree with any of this. And yet, in the light of the others I've played, this is easily the best.

It's crazy, I know.

• Like 1