Flag Rules - Meaning of "a different save state"

Sevens2-

"Do not use one of your save files from another console, a different PSN account, or from a different save state in the past to unlock trophy timestamps in an impossible way!"

What does "different save state" refer to? I'd particularly appreciate an example. I can't differentiate it from this, which is allowed:

"Reloading from a previous save slot - Backing up your own save file and re-loading it in order to earn missable or "choice" trophies (e.g., to quickly get trophies for 2 different endings in a game) or to make games easier (e.g., to save yourself in games with permadeath)."

Edited by Sevens2-
Changed "It" to "I"

I think the different save state refers to a situation where you'd play a game, then upload the save on USB, then delete your profile before syncing your trophies on PSN. In that case it would still be your save, but there'd be a discrepancy between your game progress and trophy progress.

Playing a particular game and backing up saves and loading them should be completely fine as long as you don't get rid of earned trophies in between.

5 minutes ago, Sevens2- said:

"Do not use one of your save files from another console, a different PSN account, or from a different save state in the past to unlock trophy timestamps in an impossible way!"

What does "different save state" refer to? I'd particularly appreciate an example. I can't differentiate it from this, which is allowed:

"Reloading from a previous save slot - Backing up your own save file and re-loading it in order to earn missable or "choice" trophies (e.g., to quickly get trophies for 2 different endings in a game) or to make games easier (e.g., to save yourself in games with permadeath)."

Things that aren't allowed with save files is using someone else's or using a save file from your own (be it from another account or the same) which causes trophies to pop out of order. For example: Dark Souls has a trophy that requires players to obtain all Miracles. Miracles can't be dropped by other players and you need to defeat the final boss first to trade its soul for a miracle. If you'd use a save file from another account that already platted the game, it would auto-pop the trophy for obtaining all miracles before defeating the final boss, thus popping them out of order.

For things that are allowed, it means making a save before you need to make a choice in a game that leads to a different outcome, such as an ending. That way you can reload the game after obtaining ending A, then make the other choice to reach ending B instead of playing the entire game again just to reach that choice. Another way that is allowed is to back up save files regularly during no death runs, which enables you to reload upon dying and continue.

I hope this clears it up.

7 minutes ago, IDiivil said:

I think the different save state refers to a situation where you'd play a game, then upload the save on USB, then delete your profile before syncing your trophies on PSN. In that case it would still be your save, but there'd be a discrepancy between your game progress and trophy progress.

Playing a particular game and backing up saves and loading them should be completely fine as long as you don't get rid of earned trophies in between.

Not using someone else's save data is a given. This sounds trickier. 

Is the following absolutely safe, or is there still room for error?

1) Only use your own save data.

2) Always sync your profile (upload your latest trophy data to the PSN) before overwriting your current save data with any of your earlier save data. 

Thanks, Diivil and Dragon.

@Sevens2- What you stated is safe. 

Whats not wanted is :

Playing a game and earning progress, earning trophies, and then transferring your saved data to another Playstation without ever syncing on the original. Or, saving your data and formatting your PlayStation and resuming progress without ever syncing.  Both methods listed could cause a situation where you could hypothetically earn say: Beating Chapter 5 trophy before beating Chapter 1.  

This isnt wanted because sometimes this causes the total time to earn everything impossibly fast, ruining people’s records who played it properly. 

General rule of thumb is:  if trophies were to automatically sync the second you earned them, and the ordering is impossible following that rule, then it’s considered against the rules.

Edited by B1rvine

• 2 weeks later...