Proximity-Based Chat Concern

bigrake1

Is there no way to mute the proximity-based chat? Or to mute select players? I ask because, were I to purchase this game at a later date in a patched state, I couldn’t have possible filth broadcast in my home (kids). 

Case in point:

I see where Bethesda issued perma-bans to a group of players brazenly hounding others with homophobic slurs and threats. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-11-30-bethesda-bans-fallout-76-player-for-life-following-shocking-homophobic-attack

I won’t mention the gamer’s tag here, but he stands by his behavior as it’s been reported. He’s on this site.

In an interview responding to the situation, he states, “I do not regret the incident. I will not apologise given the opportunity.” 

Situations like these, and milder but still offensive chat, have me concerned about proximity-based chat. This works largley in an idealized, romanticized vision of humankind, I think. I acknowledge there are many who play Fallout 76 who wouldn’t engage in this activity. Thoughts?

Edited by bigrake1

The ringleader’s behavior is so unapologetically offensive, that I also think he should be removed from this site, viewing PSNProfiles as a community in the broadest sense. 

If they do add a system to report players, I hope it’s actually manned and monitored. For instance, in Destiny 2, there is a reporting system, but there’s no sense that anyone is actually held accountable for offenses. 

Edited by bigrake1

3 hours ago, bigrake1 said:

The ringleader’s behavior is so unapologetically offensive, that I also think he should be removed from this site, viewing PSNProfiles as a community in the broadest sense. 

If it was done in a gaming session, maybe. In the forums, yeah, probably. I don't think a blanket ban for something someone did on a random game would be the solution. It's not like he had a PSNP clan tag or anything. The only way someone would know he had an account here is if they were curious and looked.  He has been permabanned from the game the conduct took place on. I think that is enough.

Start a party, make it private. In Party Settings make sure Chat Audio is set to "Prioritize Party Chat", which will lock out all voice chat except your party (which is empty and no one can join it unless you invite them). That's the only way to mute in-game chats for games without the option.

Edited by Caesar Clown

The article is essentially a toned down version of your average Call of Duty lobby back in 2010, and they made an article out of it? Lol love it or hate it this is an average public open gaming lobby, most games have relegated people into their private parties for the past 5 years people forgot how online gaming chat actually is.

Still even Call of Duty had mute options, surprised this one doesn't?

1 hour ago, skateak said:

I think that is enough

A bit torn. I agree with you to a certain extent. However, he has acknowledged and accepted Bethesda’s punishment yet remains unrepentant. A tossing from PSNProfiles would be a tiny gesture of joining hands with Bethesda and other media outlets to show that this behavior isn’t to be tolerated. I agree with you that little in such a move would be “solved”: However, PSNProfiles would be making a small but significant statement that such behavior isn’t acceptable in the gaming community. 

I understand there are many chats that, if their content would be exposed to the public, a similar condemnation might result. The author said he was “shocked.” As a long-time gamer, I wasn’t “shocked”...I think that language is melodramatic...Sadly I know this behavior occurs daily in many chats. However, it’s rarely exposed to public light. What is surprising, to a certain extent, is how unremorseful the responsible person is. Losing access to one game obviously failed to shake him into a moral awakening. 

Edited by bigrake1