Kaer Morhen trained?? (10 counter attacks)

Karmikazee

Have they changed enemy mechanics for the Complete Edition or just in some patch along the way?

In all the info and videos I can find on this they show a red bar flashing below the enemy health bar and it's obvious as hell. They also recommend doing this at the beginning tutorial. 

But in my game there is no red flash nor is there a place for it. Below the teacher's health bar is a stamina bar and there's no room for that red bar to flash! Can always counter his first 2 or 3 swings, which he does from his right, but then he'll do a round house from his left and try as I might, can not counter it. 

Not a good introductory to this game, getting very frustrated. Have gone through options repeatedly but can find nothing to turn on or off related to it. (Enemy health bars are on)

Edited by Karmikazee

23 minutes ago, Karmikazee said:

Have they changed enemy mechanics for the Complete Edition or just in some patch along the way?

In all the info and videos I can find on this they show a red bar flashing below the enemy health bar and it's obvious as hell. They also recommend doing this at the beginning tutorial. 

But in my game there is no red flash nor is there a place for it. Below the teacher's health bar is a stamina bar and there's no room for that red bar to flash! Can always counter his first 2 or 3 swings, which he does from his right, but then he'll do a round house from his left and try as I might, can not counter it. 

Not a good introductory to this game, getting very frustrated. Have gone through options repeatedly but can find nothing to turn on or off related to it. (Enemy health bars are on)

What difficulty are you on for starters? And yeah it can be a challenge but the tutorial is the quickest just gotta practice I lowered mine to the lowest difficulty and it was alot easier

there wasnt never red flash bar -_-. not in day 1 premiere or now. you must learn when to parry thats it. and if you have problems with parrying now... then you gonna be MUCH more frustrated later when facing Bosess...

try this vid:

or this:

try have fun. dont push easy trophies from begining or its gonna be job not fun.

• Like 1

First, thanks for the replies.

@A_KIR_A  You say there never was a red flashing bar but in the second video you posted it most certainly does have a flashing bar below the guard's health bar. You can't miss it.

@Taliesin_2943 & @PermaFox  Does the difficulty level determine whether or not the red flashing bar shows up? Because that's my problem here. Have watched numerous vid's and read tips and they all talk about the red flash you can see. (If you watch that second video it's plain as day) 

Will add if you watch the first video, which is the actual counter attack tutorial, he only does that swing from his right which is easy to judge. But if you don't sheath your sword at the end (so you can do it 10 times in a row) he will do that 2 to 3 times then do a roundhouse swing. That's the one can't seem to counter. 

10 minutes ago, Karmikazee said:

First, thanks for the replies.

@A_KIR_A  You say there never was a red flashing bar but in the second video you posted it most certainly does have a flashing bar below the guard's health bar. You can't miss it.

@Taliesin_2943 & @PermaFox  Does the difficulty level determine whether or not the red flashing bar shows up? Because that's my problem here. Have watched numerous vid's and read tips and they all talk about the red flash you can see. (If you watch that second video it's plain as day) 

Will add if you watch the first video, which is the actual counter attack tutorial, he only does that swing from his right which is easy to judge. But if you don't sheath your sword at the end (so you can do it 10 times in a row) he will do that 2 to 3 times then do a roundhouse swing. That's the one can't seem to counter. 

I don't remember a red flash it's possible it's there for regular enemies on easy I'm not sure I only ever played on death March except when getting this in the tutorial and when I had to farm in that 1 camp for the arrow dodging or whatever and the use 2 abilities simultaneously type stuff that or I'm just blind and never noticed. If I remember tho there's a way to push vesimire into a corner or something so all he does is normal swings and not just roundhouse thing it's been awhile but I remember having to msnuver him and Dodge Abit to avoid things.  But really I'd suggest not relying on that red flashy thing cause in the game stuffs Gunnar be get hectic ur not Gunnar be looking there for it when ur being mobed and trying to survive u gotta learn to anticipate and be patient :)

Edited by Taliesin_2943

24 minutes ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

I don't remember a red flash it's possible it's there for regular enemies on easy I'm not sure I only ever played on death March except when getting this in the tutorial and when I had to farm in that 1 camp for the arrow dodging or whatever and the use 2 abilities simultaneously type stuff that or I'm just blind and never noticed. If I remember tho there's a way to push vesimire into a corner or something so all he does is normal swings and not just roundhouse thing it's been awhile but I remember having to msnuver him and Dodge Abit to avoid things.  But really I'd suggest not relying on that red flashy thing cause in the game stuffs Gunnar be get hectic ur not Gunnar be looking there for it when ur being mobed and trying to survive u gotta learn to anticipate and be patient :)

Yeah just re-started on easy and it made no difference. Will try the maneuver thing cause am coming to believe that one move of his is unblockable. 

Get what you're saying about not relying on the flash but honestly don't normally have trouble with this sort of timing. But have read that some moves enemies do are unblockable and really think that one move is just that. Will keep trying and appreciate the help. 

PS: One thing find interesting, everyone says the tutorial is the best place to do this but every, and I do mean every, vid for this challenge is done else where with guards and such. And the moves they do are way easier to read then what he does not to mention there's that red flashing bar to make it even easier.

Edited by Karmikazee

33 minutes ago, Karmikazee said:

Yeah just re-started on easy and it made no difference. Will try the maneuver thing cause am coming to believe that one move of his is unblockable. 

Get what you're saying about not relying on the flash but honestly don't normally have trouble with this sort of timing. But have read that some moves enemies do are unblockable and really think that one move is just that. Will keep trying and appreciate the help. 

PS: One thing find interesting, everyone says the tutorial is the best place to do this but every, and I do mean every, vid for this challenge is done else where with guards and such. And the moves they do are way easier to read then what he does not to mention there's that red flashing bar to make it even easier.

Here try this method 

They use magic trap which slows vesimire down it might help I believe this is the part I was forgetting about manuvering him I forgot I was manuvering him into the trap lemme know how this works out. If all else fails try making a save before vesimire then proceed and try on a guard I think the above video posted by that other person is actually right after this flashback/tutorial so won't take long anyways

But I think vesimire is deemed easiest cause u can't accidentally kill him or get "friends" angry and get mobbed. 

We Gunnar figure out how to get u this trophy if it kills us lol

But yeah this isn't ur average game it starts out super hard but it becomes easier throughout then if u like come back for a replay later u'll be like why was this do hard it's easy now lol it's how it was for me haha once u get a certain 2 spells and master your swords and such u'll blast through most things with just enough challenge to keep it interesting

Edited by Taliesin_2943
  • Like 1

If you are going for the plat, then death march is going to be loads of trouble if you're having difficulties here. 

Though once you nail down the timing (and the chicken dance to dodge :P ) you're good to go.

Oh and the ghouls that you'll face, the very first enemy on death march, is arguably the hardest enemy you'll meet lol. After that it just gets progressively easier as you lvl up

1 hour ago, Xannic said:

I wonder if maybe the attack warning is a game setting? I'm running Death March right now and it's there.

Looked at all settings and couldn’t see anything obvious to change. Are you still in the tutorial or further into the game? Thinking maybe it shows up in the normal game like it does in the above videos?

@Taliesin_2943  One thing I noticed about your vid is that he doesn't have it set so the camera stays behind him like I'm used to in most games. Do you think that works better in this game?

Edited by Karmikazee

14 minutes ago, Karmikazee said:

Looked at all settings and couldn’t see anything obvious to change. Are you still in the tutorial or further into the game? Thinking maybe it shows up in the normal game like it does in the above videos?

@Taliesin_2943  One thing I noticed about your vid is that he doesn't have it set so the camera stays behind him like I'm used to in most games. Do you think that works better in this game?

Yeah you definitely want to have a view of your surroundings as apposed to just over the shoulder like I mentioned before this game has mobs at times and being stuck looking in 1 direction might get you killed or hurt but it's really up to your preference the games not to bad on the hardest setting but you really do have to master a play style that works for how u play this isn't a souls game but u need to get good with the magical and fighting style to survive and thrive there's I think 2 magics that help break the game one that lets you kinda mind control enemies or at least stun them and 1 is a sheild of sorts but u need to learn to dodge Perry counter etc it's hard but not really once u get it down u'll wonder why u ever had trouble. 

Hopefully the trap magic trick will help u get this trophy though

Sometime in the near future I'm going to go for my 3rd trophy set for Witcher lol it's that good 

@Taliesin_2943  So have a friend with which we often play games at the same time and will shareplay now and then. She moved on in the game to the point with the lv15 archer guard on the docks. Was having a bit of trouble with the counter attacks so asked if I could try.

Took 3 attempts, because of lag, till figured out had to react as soon as his shoulder started to move. (so the red flash was of no use at all) But piece of cake compared to the teacher!! So much easier it was silly.

Just reinforced that one move of his is almost un-counterable. Haven't tried using your method of the slow sign, maybe that makes the difference. But knew that shouldn't be having trouble with this as a rule and nice to know I was right.

Again thanks for your patience and your help, was really appreciated.

(Hope you hang around cause might (very likely!) have more questions!)   :))

Edited by Karmikazee

18 hours ago, Karmikazee said:

I just finished gathering all available quests in Velen, but I know for sure it was also in the tutorial, otherwise I guarantee I wouldn't have passed the riposte training part. My patience has been tried over and over on this difficulty.

I did this using a bandit camp - took out all the bandits except for 1 and just let him go to town on me.  I don't recall watching for a second red bar (Flash) but I did learn the timing.  I think someone posted this above, but if the bandit has a two-handed weapon - don't bother parrying as it doesn't work.  But if they have a sword (no shield) you should be golden.  Good luck!

On 12/2/2018 at 2:37 AM, PooPooBlast said:

If you are going for the plat, then death march is going to be loads of trouble if you're having difficulties here. 

Though once you nail down the timing (and the chicken dance to dodge :P ) you're good to go.

Oh and the ghouls that you'll face, the very first enemy on death march, is arguably the hardest enemy you'll meet lol. After that it just gets progressively easier as you lvl up

*insert Angryjoe Rant about Ghouls*

WHAT THE FUCK, WHO THE FUCK IS SPAWNING ALL THESE GODDAMN  GHOULS?! 

Other then that once you get past that, it's doable but certain areas are still a bitch... certainly not a cake walk in my opinion 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SanhRim said:

*insert Angryjoe Rant about Ghouls*

WHAT THE FUCK, WHO THE FUCK IS SPAWNING ALL THESE GODDAMN  GHOULS?! 

Other then that once you get past that, it's doable but certain areas are still a bitch... certainly not a cake walk in my opinion 

hahah. I mean it's exactly like bioshock on survival difficulty. The first splicer is a pain to beat, along with your first BD but then it gets easier.

I had a really solid build targeting strength and alchemy which boosted everything by large percentages along with feline gear. 

Can't really recall a roadblock in the game that was bigger than the ghouls section tbh haha. Perhaps the ghost by the well maybe(another beginner area). And possibly one of the dlc bosses in hearts of stone. 

2 minutes ago, PooPooBlast said:

hahah. I mean it's exactly like bioshock on survival difficulty. The first splicer is a pain to beat, along with your first BD but then it gets easier.

I had a really solid build targeting strength and alchemy which boosted everything by large percentages along with feline gear. 

Can't really recall a roadblock in the game that was bigger than the ghouls section tbh haha. Perhaps the ghost by the well maybe(another beginner area). And possibly one of the dlc bosses in hearts of stone. 

Pretty much the same here, i can't recall using a certain build other then spamming shield

My main roadblack after the ghouls was that crossbow trophy... god that was awefull and my only really negative complaint about the game

2 hours ago, SanhRim said:

Pretty much the same here, i can't recall using a certain build other then spamming shield

My main roadblack after the ghouls was that crossbow trophy... god that was awefull and my only really negative complaint about the game

Yea... Hated it as well.. I ended up going to the skellige isles and there was a spot on the mountains that literally spawned 2 enemies whenever you move a few meters away from that spot so it eliminated the need of fast travelling and waiting for loading screens. 

On 12/1/2018 at 6:36 PM, Karmikazee said:

Yeah, I don't think anyone actually uses the tutorial battle for this (at least not if they start on Death March). It's much easier to do later in the game, once you understand the mechanics.

Also, while I'm sure it's just a group misspeak, everyone keeps saying that you have to learn how to parry. But in fact, you don't parry for this trophy. It's right in the description.

And...it looks like this is pointless anyway, because you got the trophy already.

2 hours ago, SanhRim said:

Easily the worst trophy in the game. I was happy to find the video that led you to the big hideout.

Edited by starcrunch061