PSNP 2018 Year End Awards

30 minutes ago, Jens said:

t's Like Dark Souls: Yakuza Kiwami

Bad Ass Award: Yakuza Kiwami

But it's gotta be my main man Kiryu. If you would play Majima it would be close though.

Best Plat of the Year: Yakuza Kiwami once more.

I see that you're a man of culture :D

You should definitely, 101.5% play yakuza 0 if you enjoyed all of these! And Guess what? Majima is playable in 0 for a laaarge portion :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jens said:

You know how it is. Once you go Goromi you never go back.

It will always be an option, definitely, but with all the other entries on the horizon I'm fine with doing them one after the other for now :P IF they happen to be all done I'm almost forced to get back to it, that's true.

Hahha can never unsee goromi.  

Ahh I see. Well once you do get around to playing 0, you'll see why it is my favourite among the other two that I've played so far! It is considered to be one of the top entries. Like how can you not love this man :lol:

Spoiler

SecretMessyCurassow-small.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I like the new additions to the Year End Rewards, especially that image from Mr. Bean's Ultimate Disaster Movie is hilarious :lol: . I'll post mine on December 31st or January 1st.

Yay someone knows Mr. Bean :D

Also the Female/Male ones I meant to add last year and only remember like halfway through the month :P

• Like 1

I'll give it a go!

Piece of Cake Award:

Finished some easy and straightforward stuff this year but I had so much fun relaxing and finishing Donut County.

It's Like Dark Souls:

Nothing too incredible and I have some hard games I've played but haven't completed yet, but Bioshock Infinite and it's 1999 mode tested me a decent amount and was a great challenge that I really enjoyed.

Badass Award:

There have been a couple great moments but I'd have to go between Celeste and Yakuza 6. Getting through a particularly tough section in Celeste felt incredible, either getting it first time or getting past a spot where you die 50+ times, and Yakuza 6 because there are just so many great moments and combat scenarios as with every Yakuza game.

Grind of the Year:

I'd probably just say Fifa 18 because I left it for quite a while before coming back to finish it earlier this year, and getting through all the modes trophies and stuff can be quite tedious. I also don't play many very long winded games as I'm pretty busy most of the time and tend to drop off long games and never return to them, which is why I don't have a finished game this year with a very big grind.

King of the Internet:

Either Tekken 7 or soon to be plat Battlefield V. I'm not great and never have been at fighting games but i found myself playing Tekken 7 online long after getting the online trophies and had a blast with it, even in heavy defeats to people I had a good time. And then Battlefield V because I'm a big fan of the series and the multiplayer fits my style a lot better than a cod or faster paced shooter, I also like the larger scale and how different class play can be.

Worst Online:

Fifa 19 cause getting to division 4 in rivals was a slog and I sat just under the required rank for over a week could not string together the wins for a while, but I got it eventually.

Sleeper Hit:

Not necessarily a small game but definitely deserves more recognition, me and my best mate had an amazing time with A Way Out earlier in the year. So much fun and it is hilarious fucking around in it with a friend, I would definitely recommend this if you have a friend or partner to play with.

Biggest Bomb:

I didn't plat much crap this year so I guess I'd say The Walking Dead S3. I thought the story was weak and boring, and I found myself not caring in the slightest if something happened or someone died or whatever, was bored from start to finish.

Best Plat Image:

Tie between Tekken 7 and Yakuza 6 for me, I really like the look and style of both platinum images.

Worst Plat Image:

For sure Infamous Second Son, just has a boring and bleak trophy on it.

Best Female Character:

I love Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite but I had played that in the past on ps3 so the obvious choice for me is 2B from Nier Automata, I really had an amazing time with Nier and 2B was a great character who had a very interesting arc with the themes at play through the story.

Best Male Character:

Has to be Kratos in God of War, don't think I need to say much for people to understand why he is the best choice.

Best Plat of the Year:

Either God of War or Yakuza 6, for obvious reasons I had a great time with both from start to finish (as you can tell my answers are getting shorter as I get more bored with typing).

Worst Plat of the Year:

Fifa 19. I've always been decent at Fifa and I am a huge football fan which is most of the reason I bought it every year, but even that can't make me want to buy it anymore. I always bought it out of habit but there's no way I'll continue with that any further, just not enjoyable anymore whatsoever. It's ultra rare but they dont exactly garner the same acknowledgement when it is a sports game in question so oh well.

Most Anticipated Game of 2019:

If it is for a game I want to plat next year that I have started I'll say The Last of Us Remastered, I was really loving it and went straight into a grounded new game + after my first playthrough but I dropped off a while back around chapter 6. Keen to get back and finish it off.

As for a new release next year, I would like to try my hand at getting the platinum in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. I also want to get back to Bloodborne all I have remaining are the Chalice dungeons, but having a From Software plat would be great, so Sekiro for that reason.

Edited by Bailey97
  • Like 3

I'll give this a shot.

Piece of cake award - There's a couple of contenders for me, while they're not on the level of some others (I don't trophy hunt so I don't have any of those 'whore' platinums to put here, sorry). I'm tied between either all 3 Spyro games since I grew up with the games as a kid and they're easy enough without prior experience anyways so given that I had played them as a kid too, I found these a breeze but an incredibly enjoyable experience! The other one I'm tied between is Bloodborne which I took a no-death blind run through (though I did die on Ebrietas, sadly, oh well...). Soulsborne games I find rather relaxed games though Bloodbornes faster pace does spice things up a tad. I'm 50/50 on those options but I would probably rank Spyro easier just due to each game being shorter than I remembered, while Bloodborne has all those Chalice dungeons to go through post-game.

It's like Dark Souls - Urrr, awkward title given what I just said in the last category... I do wish everything wasn't compared to Dark Souls because it's actually a rather chilled game to be fair, just doesn't hold your hand. Though, what I would put in this category... I'm not sure, I haven't really tackled anything tough this year in all honesty, I think I would go with Trackmania Turbo just because driving games are probably one of my weakest genres, so, whilst not objectively that hard I suppose it has some decent personal difficulty. Maybe next year I can play something hard eh? I just have fun with whatever I spontaneously decide to play.

Bad ass award - First things first, I like the award image haha! I don't know what to put here, I want to be smart and think outside the box but I'm going to be lazy and give it to the same thing as the last award, Trackmania Turbos completion. I probably have some great moments in Battlefield 1 or Rainbow 6 that I just can't recall that made me feel badass, maybe I'll edit this if I take a look at my video clips lol.

Grind of the year - I was tempted to say Ys Origin because of reaching max level but then I remember just how much Digimon World Next Order required for collecting all the cards, training up every unique kind of Digimon (not all are required I don't think, but I did that for myself because I loved the game!) so I think it would be that one. Not all grinds are a bad thing, I was glad I still had more to do in Digimon World. Lately I've been grinding in a game I haven't played for a while (Alienation) to get myself better loot and I've been loving it. If you specifically want a bad type of grind, then Ys Origin would win it though because XP from enemies do cap out, those last couple levels are tedious but not all that long, I don't tend to do any bad grinds, if I don't enjoy something I don't do it.

King of the Internet - Rainbow 6 Siege, I've been hooked and enjoying myself even when playing alone but I've had 2 primary friend groups I've played with on a regular basis and we've had a hell of a lot fun. Even when we've had embarrassing lose-streaks we've had a blast, but sometimes we go on some great killer win-streaks. I've since kinda lost touch with some and partially moved on from the game, but it's my go-to multiplayer experience. However, I didn't platinum it during this year, so if it has to be something I obtained a platinum in specifically, then, Battlefield 1 I suppose.

Worst online experience - I made a thread about it actually, I don't blame the game or the games community (though I did at first). It's probably a swarm of players from PlayStation Plus that caused the issues a reckon. It's Absolver, just a lot of sore loser hate mail, toxic behaviour in free roam. I've revisited the game since its PlayStation Plus spotlight and it's actually a really nice friendly but competitive community. The new coop update is great fun too, I recommend it.

Sleeper hit of the year - I played a game called I Want To Be Human that was on sale for about £0.70 if I recall. I bought it on a whim because I only had maybe £1 sitting in my PSN wallet and the trailer reminded me of a flash game from my late high school days and you know what, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Sitting at under 500 tracked players, I'd say that's pretty niche :D.

Biggest bomb - Fallout 76, next. Okay, I can't actually vote this, but I have nothing else to say for this so just take this extra dump on FO76 please.

Best trophy image - Oh, hard one because I don't take too much note, I think the Spyro ones are quite gorgeous and Ys Origin has a nice platinum trophy from my quick glance through my list, so is Absolver too a bit.

Worst trophy image - Haha, nice picture. I'm going to go with Bound and Aarus Awakening just because the former, while fitting, just looks a bit crap and the latter is super bland.

Best female character - Can't say there has been any standout one in what I've played, I don't want to cop out and just put Elora from Spyro but that'll have to be my choice.

Best male character - Kratos, BOY! But seriously, the new God of War was a phenomenal game and Kratos was great.

Best plat of the year - So, this doesn't specifically have to be my GOTY? In that case I'm not going to pick God of War just because it's too obvious as an awesome game and there's stuff I enjoyed doing that wasn't required for trophies (like the hardest difficulty). To specifically judge on trophy completion stuff, there's 2 choices, the Spyro games (obviously) but, I might actually go with Digimon World Next Order because it asks for you to do literally everything and doing all the game to offer was great fun, really squeezing out all I could get out of it. You could do all 3 Spyro games multiple times before being close to finishing Digimon, so I'll give it this on quantity.

Wurst plat ov teh yeer - I wish it was worst game, I'd give that to We Are Doomed. But it doesn't have a platinum. I don't tend to really play bad games I'm not enjoying as I eluded to earlier on so... I don't know, should I just pick Ys Origin for the max level grind? Eh, why not...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

I do wish everything wasn't compared to Dark Souls because it's actually a rather chilled game to be fair, just doesn't hold your hand.

Thanks for the list :)

Also the reason for the name of the award came about last year because gaming magazines were saying "crash bandicoot is the dark souls of platformers" and I thought it was funny that if anything is remotely difficult it is instantly the "dark souls of blah blah blah" :P

So it is meant to be a joke

• Like 1

It's that time of the year again eh? Well, I guess I'll put down my list of "winners". I still plan on platting a few more games before this year comes to an end, but I don't think any of them will replace the current picks.

Piece of Cake Award

L78ca45.png

Couldn't be anything else than a Telltale game. It was an alright game, that's about it really.

It's like Dark Souls

Le20f26.png

This one is completely down to luck. There are patterns that are literally impossible to do, so you got to keep trying until a reasonably pattern shows up. This might actually not be like Dark Souls, as Dark Souls never feels unfair, this one fucking does.

Bad Ass Award

L5a7de5.png

In one of the dungeons almost the whole party wiped at a boss, except me (playing a caster) and one other person who was also playing a ranged class. We managed to take down the final 40% of the bosses health by kiting him between us by balancing the aggro when he would start to damage one of us. Not sure how we managed to pull that off without communication, but we did.

Grind of the Year

L5a7de5.png

This was one boring and long grind. The world bosses are completely down to luck and have set spawn times from when they were last killed. If I remember correctly I ended up waiting for 8 hours (could've been more) for just one for the bosses to spawn. All of them took me a good 30 hours to get.

King of the Internet

L5a7de5.png

Well, that's 3 in a row. Was the most fun I had in an online game in a while. Then again I don't play a lot of online games, so yeah...

Worst online experience

L68f242.png

While boosting the online portion, we would get booted of the servers every 2 races or so.

Sleeper Hit of the Year

Lec3386.png

Beholder: Complete Edition, was one of the biggest surprises this year. I didn't expect much from it, but after having played it I've got to say that it's phenomenal.

Biggest Bomb of the Year

Lfe23d0.png

Everyone has been praising this to the high heavens, and it turns out it's barely mediocre. Visually it looks appalling, the story is a fucking mess and the only thing that saved it were the puzzles.

Best Trophy Image

10L74f6e6.png

E.T. Phone Home (The Solus Project)

Worst Trophy Image

5L58a21f.png

Every single trophy in Black Mirror. As they just were lazy and used the same image for all of them.

Best female character

Spoiler

545.png

Best male character

Spoiler

yoshifumi-hattori-seb-damage.jpg?1513740

Best Plat of the Year

Ld87fc9.png

It's Nier Automata. Pretty much everything about this game is fantastic From the soundtrack, story, characters right to the smoothest combat you'll ever experience in a game.

Worst Plat of the Year

L7ceea0.png

The Count Lucanor is broken mess that should  be removed from the store. It crashes more often than any Bethesda game ever will, it deletes your saves when it crashes and corrupts the save files you got in the cloud.

Best Soundtrack (bonus)

Spoiler

Most anticipated plat of 2019

L0091ff.png

Did my first blind playthrough last week and want to get back to it next year.

Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 4

PIECE OF CAKE AWARD: Phobos Vector Prime -The First Ring

xYkGfKI.pngL028ca7.png

I think this game/platinum is even easier than Burly men at Sea. You don't need a guide or whatsoever.

IT'S LIKE DARK SOULS: Sound Shapes

gl2oT0D.pngL2941d1.png

I hate you Death Mode and your randomness!...holy sh** i died A LOT in this game...

BAD ASS AWARD: Uncharted Drake's Fortune

bs6ooqn.pngLf4c14b.png

Finished the game on Brutal Difficulty, digital version without any cheats and stuff...i think that's pretty bad ass right?

GRIND OF THE YEAR: Monster Hunter World

ZFFpcSC.png Ld1f75b.png

Those Crowns...?

KING OF THE INTERNET: Monster Hunter World

9Qcj0Sn.png Ld1f75b.png

On the other hand, this is the perfect multiplayer game. Ihad so much fun with this one!.

WORSE ONLINE EXPERIENCE: Final Fantasy XV- Multiplayer Expansion: Comrades

cBvB66k.png L2802e6.png

Not a standalone game per se...yet, but as you know, Comrades is pretty dead.

SLEEPER HIT OF THE YEAR: Spy Chameleon

1sBtckq.png Lbb4510.png

Cheap and challenging...i found this little game extremely fun!

BEST TROPHY IMAGE: Infamous First Light (Noble achievement trophy)

u5CcmMD.png 1L5e96f1.png

I love it!!

WORST TROPHY IMAGE: WRC 5 (WRC 2015 Trophy)

He3pFwi.png 1L07622a.png

Boooriiing!!

BEST FEMALE CHARACTER: Jodie Holmes (Ellen Page)- Beyond: Two Souls

1mfQCVV.png Resultado de imagen para beyond two souls actores

She was great!! I love Ellen Page.

BEST MALE CHARACTER: William Joseph "BJ" Blazkovicz (Wolfenstein The New Order/The New Blood)

z8JZgsh.png Imagen relacionada

BEST PLAT OF THE YEAR: Uncharted Drake's Fortune

gnHxJFF.png Lf4c14b.png

WURST PLAT OV TEH YEER: Albedo: Eyes from outher space

REO5sp8.png L484e3d.png

This game is awful...

MOST ANTICIPATED PLATINUM OF 2019: Persona Endless Night Collection (ps4)

dhVbe0e.png Resultado de imagen para persona endless night collection ps4

Yeah i know, these are 3 games, but this collection will be so cool!

Edited by fabiansc83
  • Like 3

Piece of Cake Award - Guardians of the Galaxy

As this is a TellTale game, all the trophies are unlocked when you complete episodes of the story.  Can't get much easier than that :P

It's Like Dark Souls - Omega Quintet

Weeby dark souls?  It's not like Dark Souls at all but I just wanted to have a little cry here about how unfair the mechanics are in the game, where bosses can constantly break your attack order until you're dead and there isn't a whole lot you can do about it beside from getting lucky with the enemy setup when you enter battle

Bad Ass Award - Hollow Knight

I've not got the platinum for this and being realistic, I don't think I ever will because I'm too scrubby :giggle: That being said, you do feel like a total bad ass when you tear through a challenging boss.

Grind of the Year - Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart

This has the worst Lily Rank Grind ever -_-  You need to set your party up in a formation and use support skills until lily rank has reached 100 with each character - there are 22 characters so that took a while.  Also, my Vita memory card died whilst playing this and whilst I thankfully had all my saves on the cloud, I blame this game for the death of my memory card.

King of the Internet - Final Fantasy XV Comrades

I actually had a pretty good time with this game, found some good weapon builds, joined up with some friends and had some great chats within the FFXV community.  I enjoyed it so much I've played for around 40 additional hours after finishing all the trophies

Worst Online Experience - Final Fantasy XV Comrades

This is also the worst online experience just due to the amount of people who are not willing to do anything for themselves.  The people who offer $50 for you do to the trophies for them, the people on Discord begging to be carried through 5 versions of the game...it made me really think about the way some trophy hunters behave.  Also...the RNG sucks :P

Sleeper Hit of the Year - Reverie

I feel like some people have written this game off due to mistakenly thinking it's ezpz trophy trash, but this game is so thoroughly enjoyable and charming.  It's a Zelda/Earthbound clone that is fun to play and has a good amount of humor in it.

Biggest Bomb of the Year - Infamous Second Son

My opinion here is probably an unpopular one, but I was thoroughly disappointed with Infamous Second Son.  It was nowhere near as good as the original games, I felt that Delsin was really unlikeable and that the story was bland.

Best Trophy Image - Okami HD Platinum

1Lc0b30d.png

Worst Trophy Image - Dying Reborn Platinum

1L843657.png

Best Female Character - Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn

220px-Aloy_(Horizon_Zero_Dawn).png

Best Male Character - Ignis Scientia from Final Fantasy XV

Ignis_stupeo_scientia.jpg

Best Plat of the Year - Final Fantasy XV

I'm one of the few people who absolutely adored this game :P

Worst Plat of the Year - Dying Reborn

I thought this was terrible, probably the worst game I've played this year

Most Anticipated Plat of 2019 - Kingdom Hearts 3 

No further explanation needed

• Like 3

Piece of Cake Award - Spyro Trilogy

It was great to replay this series from my childhood and its really straight forward. 

It's Like Dark Souls - GTA V Online Heist

Criminal Mastermind trophy... its not that its hard gameplay wise... its more thats it can take up to 10 hours to complete one run, you need to try and get THE SAME players online at the same time from different countries and different work schedules etc, its buggy and then once you finish one run you still have to do another 2 more ? really fun huh Rockstar, we all love it (still trying to complete it btw)

Bad Ass Award - Uncharted 2

Finally completing this on Brutal mode after around a week of raging and then realising you could use an exploit to give you one shot kills all along ? I didn't make that mistake for Uncharted 3

Grind of the Year - GTA V Online Heist

See above ?

King of the Internet - Rocket League

Its a pretty fun game to play with friends to get away from playing serious games or grinding out trophies.

Worst Online Experience - GTA V Online

You seeing a running theme here ?

Sleeper Hit of the Year - The Binding of Isaac/ Little Nightmares

I would probably say these two. Both really cool games that a lot more people should pick up

Biggest Bomb of the Year - Far Cry 5

It just felt like a lot of pointless missions and grinding just to progress to fight the main bad guys. I even forgot what the story was even about after a few days of not playing it. It feels like Far Cry as a series has become so lost and stagnated since Far Cry 3. 

Best Trophy Image - Spyro and RIME

1L891f42.png1Ld9bf75.png

Worst Trophy Image - The Uncharted series have the most bland trophy images of any game 

6Sc5b1fe.png 14S033e39.png1S6e0751.png

Best Female Character - Six from Little Nightmares, doesnt say anything but I like the concept 

Six.png

Best Male Character - Ezio from AC Brotherhood

Image result for Ezio Auditore

Best Plat of the Year - Detroit Become Human

Really great game, great story and plenty of different choices you can make that change the story.

Worst Plat of the Year - Just Cause 3 or Far Cry 5

Both games to me were incredibly boring... it felt like you were doing the same thing for 20 hours

Most Anticipated Plat of 2019 - Cyberpunk 2077 and Red Dead 2 (when I finally get round to playing it) 

• Like 3

@SirPigFace totally agree with you on JC3. I loved Just Cause 2 but I found the 3rd one to be so dull. It almost turned me off Open World games because I am so sick of games making these gigantic worlds...but forgetting to fill them with interesting things.  At least Saints Row came back into my life this year to remind me "oh year Open World games can be fun"

Piece of Cake Award: Burly Men At Sea

Just a couple of hours needed to see all facets of the story and get the platinum.

It's Like Dark Souls: Bloodborne

Well, it is, isn't it?

Bad Ass Award: God of War

I am yet to find a most bad ass character than Kratos, even through paternity.

Grind of the Year: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

Not many grindy platinums this year, so I have to go with MGSV, even though I enjoyed every moment of it. 

King of the Internet: Pro Evolution Soccer 2019

Even though the online is far from perfect, it is the only game that I played online (and even a lot) in 2018, so forced choice there.

Worst Online Experience: -

See above.

Sleeper Hit of the Year: Ratchet & Clank

Perhaps this game is in the wrong section, as it certainly is a mainstream game. However, if it hadn't been for the Plus, I would have never played it, and I would have missed out.

Best Trophy Image: Unravel Two

All the trophy images are really thought through in a creative way (but the platinum one).

Worst Trophy Image: Guardians of the Galaxy

They just changed the number on each trophy image (and the colour for each episode). Not that I care about it though.

Best Female Character: Chloe Fisher.

Best Male Character: Kratos.

Most Anticipated Platinum of 2019: Yakuza Kiwami

I'll start it soon and look forward to seeing what this franchise has to offer.

Edited by tanonero
  • Like 3

I'll throw my hat in the ring and list my choices :)

xYkGfKI.png

Piece of Cake Award: I actually had quite a few of these this year I could choose from, but I would have to say that Burly Men at Sea was by far the easiest. You don't really do anything and it only takes like 10-15 minutes to complete a cycle. Other than the platinum...I'm not sure I really got anything out of this game.

gl2oT0D.png

It's like Dark Souls Award: Well, for me the choice is easy...the game that was most like Dark Souls that I played this year would be Dark Souls. I plan to Platinum the entire series in 2019 back to back to back starting with the Remaster...but we'll see if I get distracted by new shiny things.

bs6ooqn.png

Bad Ass Award: For this award I select Catherine. Defeating the Babel stages was probably the hardest thing I did this year in gaming with Final Fantasy IX Jump Rope a close second. I'm going with the Babel stages though since the Jump Rope trophy was just about getting the timing. It took me a week of exclusively doing the jump rope...but it was the same thing every time and Babel was a true challenge where there is no walkthrough.

ZFFpcSC.png

Grind of the Year: This Award goes to, with no real competition, Space Hulk and its god damned 40,000 kills trophy. I have been working on this trophy since March. I have killed close to 60,000 aliens over the course of probably 30 hours and have still not had this trophy pop. I discovered after about 45,000 kills that I was probably resetting the total each time I saved and rebooted my Vita to cut down on the lag. That realization was a real kick in the nuts and I took a bit of a break from the grind. I started back up again a couple of weeks ago and according to the calculator on my phone, am at 2500 kills. I won't get this trophy this year but I will next year. Honorable mentions go to Final Fantasy IX and the 10,000 kill trophy and Final Fantasy XV and the 999,999 KW farming DLC trophy.

9Qcj0Sn.png

King of the Internet Award: I don't play much multiplayer. In fact I only played a few games with a MP component and none of them involved meeting people for more than a few minutes. I guess that Middle-earth: Shadow of War would be the MP I liked best? It's not even really that good, but it was a neat wrinkle to attack other peoples strongholds. I used mostly AI for Final Fantasy XV except for a couple of areas and I only played one online game in MLB the Show. I didn't utilize the MP portion of Demon's Souls and only did one time in Dark Souls to help with the NG+ version of Ornstein & Smough. Honestly these forums gave me the most opportunity to hang out on the interwebs and meet other people via events and such...so I change my award to PSN Profiles:)

cBvB66k.png

Worst Online Experience Award: Goes to Final Fantasy XV for lack of a better option. The DLC was billed as an online experience and you really do not ever need to go online to complete it. Everything can be done with AI. Granted, some missions are much harder that way...but it could be done. I also was really disappointed that none of the boss battles even allow you to fight with other people. You have to use the AI there. It could really set you up to fail if you were used to playing with PC's and all of a sudden you have to fight the boss basically solo with useless NPC's. Fortunately for me, I played almost AI exclusive so was ok prepared for the boss fights. They were really challenging, but I think it was a weird choice for them to exclude co-op play for those fights.

1sBtckq.png

Sleeper Hit of the Year Award: I have a lot of good choices here (fortunately!) It's a tough choice between A Hat in Time (5000 players), Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (5000 players), The Banner Saga (12,000 players) and Valkyria Chronicles Remastered (26,000 players). While I think I liked Valkyria Chronicles Remastered the most out of those games (I pre-ordered VC4 as soon as a finished VCR) I think 26,000 players is a pretty decent amount to experience it...plus it's a remaster. I think my award here goes to The Banner Saga. I really liked the Oregon Trail feel of the game and I also liked the turn-based grid layout of the battles. The game isn't perfect by any stretch, but it was my diamond in the rough this year.

cRmi7oS.png

Biggest Bomb of the Year Award: I really didn't play a bad AAA game this year. I'm really enjoying Marvel's Spiderman right now and loved God of War. Technically, Final Fantasy XV didn't come out this year and I played it on release...but it seems to be the game that won't die as they keep releasing stuff for it and I continued playing it into 2018. While overall I did enjoy playing the game, it didn't live up to the hype nearly enough. I waited 10 years to play this game and I just felt the story fell kind of flat. Watching the movie helped fill in some of the gaps, but I don't think people should need to watch a movie to fully understand the story in a game. Final Fantasy XV unfortunately just did not live up to the hype for me and overall was a disappointment because of that and is my winner of the Biggest Bomb.

u5CcmMD.png

Best Trophy Image Award: Here are some of my favorite platinum images with The Wolf Among Us being my favorite:

Valkyria Chronicles Remastered: 1Lca7734.png

The Banner Saga:                           1Lfbf81f.png

The Dwarves:                                  1L64d919.png

Shantae and the Pirates Curse:    1Lfd789f.png

The Wolf Among Us:                       1Lca3c1e.png

He3pFwi.png

Worst Trophy Image Award: This award goes to The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker....every single trophy image is the same and it is the cover art...talk about lazy...1L009e9e.png

1mfQCVV.png

Best Female Character: I really wanted to choose Aloy since she was awesome...but sadly I 100% HZD in November of 2017. I would have to say Alicia from Valkyria Chronicles Remastered. She is a really likable character who becomes really OP later in the game. Honorable mentions go out to: Shantae, Little Girl from Yomawari: Night Alone and Snow from The Wolf Among Us.

z8JZgsh.png

Best Male Character: I really enjoyed playing as Kratos in God of War and I loved Bigby Wolf from The Wolf Among Us...but I think my favorite character this year, and maybe it's because I'm playing it right now, is not even a playable character. Dr. Octavius from Marvel's Spiderman has been such a good character in this game. I've really enjoyed his story arc. If it has to be a playable character then I choose Blazkowicz from Wolfenstein: The New Order. I'd pick him because I really wasn't expecting any kind of story really at all with that game. I was very pleasantly surprised by the depth of the story in that game and about how well they actually developed Blazkowicz.

gnHxJFF.png

Best Plat of the Year Award: God of War was my favorite game of the year probably, however it doesn't win this award. Even though I loved that game and everything about it...there were a couple of grindy spots that felt a little like a chore. Until Dawn wins the award for best Platinum of the Year. I've never really played a horror game before and I'd never played a game that felt like a movie really before. This game was awesome from beginning to end and the 'Choose Your Own Adventure' style made the replays not feel like a chore since the story was different each time. I can't recommend that game enough.

REO5sp8.png

Worst Plat of the Year: My worst Plat of the year is one I haven't gotten yet which is Space Hulk. The game sucks, the trophy list sucks...everything about it sucks...but I refuse to let that game beat me so I will get it eventually...but since I don't have it yet...it is disqualified for 2018. My choice for this game is a little strange...I didn't really like the story and it made me question my trophy hunting habit several times...but it was also my most satisfying platinum of the year and the one I'm most proud of this year. That distinction goes to Catherine. I truly hated all of the characters and really thought the story was dumb. The mechanics on some of the puzzles were really frustrating and the monotony of the 128 Rapunzel stages was brutal. Having said all that...I was really happy when I finally got the platinum and I'm really proud that I stuck with it despite my troubles and frustrations.

And finally

dhVbe0e.png

Most Anticipated Platinum of 2019: Final Fantasy VII Remake....lulz...I did just get an email today from Amazon saying that the release date from my pre-order of the FFVII Remake back in 2015 was moved to 12/31/19...but we all know that game isn't coming for like 5 years. My actual most anticipated platinum for 2019 that will be released and playable is probably Kingdom Hearts III. I missed the boat on that series the first time around due to playing an MMORPG...but I have bought the entire Remix set and plan to play the whole series in 2019. I have an ambitious goal of platinuming all of the Soulbourne games and the KH series since I'm sure I'll get distracted by an unexpected game here and there...but I'm going to give it a try.

Anyway...that took a lot longer than I planned lol luckily it is a slow day at work and I'm in an office with some privacy ;) 

Edited by Briste
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Briste said:

cRmi7oS.png

Biggest Bomb of the Year Award: I really didn't play a bad AAA game this year. I'm really enjoying Marvel's Spiderman right now and loved God of War. Technically, Final Fantasy XV didn't come out this year and I played it on release...but it seems to be the game that won't die as they keep releasing stuff for it and I continued playing it into 2018. While overall I did enjoy playing the game, it didn't live up to the hype nearly enough. I waited 10 years to play this game and I just felt the story fell kind of flat. Watching the movie helped fill in some of the gaps, but I don't think people should need to watch a movie to fully understand the story in a game. Final Fantasy XV unfortunately just did not live up to the hype for me and overall was a disappointment because of that and is my winner of the Biggest Bomb.

I was kind of reading this quickly at first and saw Spiderman as your Biggest Bomb and I was sad at first :P

Great choice of games and I am also really enjoying Valkyria Chronicles.

• Like 1

My first year participating in this thread, here is my list & I should also mention that I'm only using games I got the platinum for this year :)

xYkGfKI.png

Burly Men at Sea

I mean just about everyone has this plat now, stupid easy platinum aswell.

gl2oT0D.png

Dark Soul's 2

I mean it IS Dark Souls & the worst one at that, only reason I even raged at this game was because of how dead the online was.

bs6ooqn.png

Doom 2016

I mean come on, how can you not feel like a badass playing this game.

ZFFpcSC.png

Final Fantasy 12

This game was so much of a grind fest & really made me not want to get the platinum since I barely even liked the game to begin with. Finishing the 100 Trails, collecting all magic & technique's & espers. You'll never see me touching this game again.

9Qcj0Sn.png

Tekken 7

I'm not a big fan of fighting games but I really enjoyed playing this one, especially online, though I was called a spamming noob but hey, I suck at fighting games so oh well.

cBvB66k.png

Drawn to Death

No competition in my book, easily one of the worst online games I've ever played & the only reason I even got the platinum was because the servers shut down in March.

1sBtckq.png 

Beholder

One of my favorite games that came out on PC awhile back & recently got a PS4 release with the DLC & it's an extremely underplayed again & more people need to play it as it's such a brilliant game.

cRmi7oS.png

Lords of the Fallen

I know it didn't come out this year but I got the plat for it this year & it's a contender to the worst game I've ever platinumed. Clunky controls, boring bosses, bland character's & lore. This game is a perfect example of everything you shouldn't do in making a souls-like game.

u5CcmMD.png

I Can't really make up my mind between my top 3 so here's just my top 3 I guess.

3L49ad84.pngBeholder - I Did Nothing!

1Lb42902.pngNi no Kuni 2 Revenant Kingdom - One True King

1L472e3f.pngDragon Quest Builders - Perfectionist

He3pFwi.png

Every trophy from Until Dawn: Rush of Blood

They're all the exact same trophy, just a different color, I hate game's that do that with their trophies. Not to mention even their game banner is just all 4 trophy bullets fanned out.

1L450996.png

19L99decb.png

18L3fa4b4.png

21L908970.png

1mfQCVV.png

Horizon Zero Dawn - Aloy

Probably my favorite female character in any game honestly. She's just such a good character & she's just so loveable. I'd love to see a sequel with my babe Aloy returning.

z8JZgsh.png

L.A Noire - Cole Phelps

Cole Phelps is just one of those character's that is so interesting & awesome that you just can't help but love him, especially all the back story you get on him as the game progresses.

gnHxJFF.png

Ni no Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom

I loved this game so much & I'm so happy I got it was my 100th platinum. This game was so much fun from start to finish & even getting the extremely grindy trophies were fun because of just how good the game was unlike the next game....

REO5sp8.png

Lords of the Fallen

Hated every goddamn second of getting the platinum for this game & the fact I had to finish the game 3 times really wanted to make me just give up one it. From the garbage "story" & bosses to the extremely broken controls & mechanic's getting the platinum for this game was as fun as getting my prostate checked. Never again.

dhVbe0e.png

Kingdom Hearts 3

Easily the platinum I'm most excited to go for in 2019 aswell as the game I'm most excited for in 2019. I'm going to save it for my 125th platinum but I just can't wait to be able to get the platinum for the game & then have the entire series platinumed again. 

That was extremely fun to look back on everything I did this year, both the good & the bad. I can't wait to read everyone elses aswell!

On 12/3/2018 at 1:54 PM, voodoo_eyes said:

Sleeper Hit of the Year

Lec3386.png

Beholder: Complete Edition, was one of the biggest surprises this year. I didn't expect much from it, but after having played it I've got to say that it's phenomenal.

I'm glad I found someone who feels the same way I do about the game! I played it on release on PC & LOVED it. I'm thinking about writing a guide for it here on PSNP since to my knowledge there isn't a guide yet

Edited by ObsiEez
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, ObsiEez said:

I'm glad I found someone who feels the same way I do about the game! I played it on release on PC & LOVED it. I'm thinking about writing a guide for it here on PSNP since to my knowledge there isn't a guide yet

It's a great game, albeit a bit clunky control-wise. It has a certain charm to it, despite the fairly dire thematic.

There is a text walkthrough on pstrophies.org, but it's a bit of a mess when it comes to event order.

• Like 1

Piece of Cake Award:

Lb7313e.png

Code: Realize - Guardian of Rebirth

Had to use a guide just to make sure I don't screw up the different story paths you can take. Besides that, the games platinum was in the bag the moment I loaded it up on Vita.

It's Like Dark Souls: 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngL69a045.png

Funny enough this one goes to the monster itself, in this case, Dark Souls II. I found Dark Souls III to be a lot easier probably because I did it right after I finished this one. Great game though but man was it a learning curve. It's not the hardest challenge I've ever faced but comparing it to only the things taking place this year, it takes the cake.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Grind of the Year: 

Lf47260.png

I mean, the grind wasn't down right HORRIBLE but it did make me rethink how I decide to spend my gaming time sometimes lol. I did know what I was getting into though. Still glad I decided to play the game and make it my 250th platinum.

Sleeper Hit of the Year: 

L971499.png

ICEY

Most of the games I platinumed in 2018 were very mainstreamed so really the only game I played and platinumed throughout the year that fits the parameter for this award is ICEY. The game has an easy platinum, was fun from beginning to end, and was different from the games I usually play. Highly recommend it!

Biggest Bomb of the Year: 

Lb3f7ed.png

I don't know if this game had a lot of hype prior to release to begin with but I felt the game was very underwhelming. I did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would and ultimately expected more from it.

Best Trophy Image:

L88f3a6.png

1L13ff8b.png

It's not an insanely awesome looking one but out of the ones I earned this year, it's one of the best looking ones.

Worst trophy image: 

Lb3f7ed.png

1L66b132.png

Sorry Far Cry 5 fans! The game gets this shitty award too in my opinion!

Best female character:

Lf47260.png

Velvet

Image result for velvet tales of berseria Related image Related image

I picked Velvet from Tales of Berseria. She's courageous, badass, and hardworking. Her determination is unimaginable. If she wants you dead, you bet your ass she'll get that done no matter the cost and no matter how long it takes. She also has a deep spot for compassion and sympathy, but you don't really see that part too often, and she will immediately deny it if someone was to point it out. I also chose her because I find her very attractive; you know, when she's not busy devouring daemons with her scary demon hand.

Best male character: 

L88f3a6.png

Kratos

Image result for God of War 2018 Kratos wallpapers Related image Related image

I picked Kratos from God of War. I prefer how he was portrayed in the newest installment compared to how he was in the older installments. In my opinion, he kept his total badassery and awe-inspiring presence but at the same time fleshing him out and making him someone more than just a guy who wants revenge. He's older (dig the beard), wiser, and fights with a more positive and clear purpose while still being that guy you absolutely do not want to start a fight with unless you have a death wish.

Edited by Shinobi
  • Like 2