Guide of the Year Awards 2018 - Nominations Thread

Platisfaction

I've used only 3 of the trophy guides written this year and I am limited on what to pick but here goes.

Trophy guide vote goes to Spyro the Dragon.

Trophy walkthrough guide vote goes to 

Knee Deep. I thought this was an exceptional guide.

Original Content Far Cry 3 Classic Edition.

Edited by snakebit10
Corrected my spelling
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, snakebit10 said:

I've use on 3 of the trophy guides written this year and I am limited on what to pick but here goes.

Sweet! Thanks for voting :yay: 

I'd say to try to scout out at least 2 more categories when you can later on even though you've only used a few guides, it'll give more writers a chance in the running after all :pimp:

Nice :D My Frantics guide is on this list, but it won’t be recognized when the game gets free released on PS+

There were few guides I used this year from the list. So my vote goes to Spyro The Dragon from  @F-o-D-Aurora: on the contrary of both other guides of the trilogy, the first one, yet an easy platinum, has explanation within each trophy and a proper video with the time for each level for 100% (this is important), making things easier. Thank you :) 

Edited by TurtlePM
  • Like 1

Walkthrough Guide: Claire:

I found it to be the best walkthrough out there for the game and it made it super easy to complete survivor mode. I liked that it didn't depend on videos and kept up to date with the differences between the vita version and the PS4 version. There were a few formatting fixes I wished were done to make it easy to come back to the guide, but overall I loved it and would use it again.

DLC Guide: Minecraft Expansion 4:
I haven't used this one yet, but I remember reading it when it popped up and actually feeling empowered that I could get the remaining Minecraft trophies. I found it helpful that it gave detailed explanations of how to get each trophy and not just a description. 

Am I allowed to nominate Alien Isolation for guide of the year, or does it not qualify as a walkthrough? This guide is such well-laid out and has such a massive collection of maps that it makes the game more approachable. They could have just relied on the videos, but the creators really took that extra step to break it down for even the worst of us players.

Edit:

Overall guide of the year: Alien Isolation, for the reasons stated above.

Edited by Kittet3
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

Am I allowed to nominate Alien Isolation for guide of the year, or does it not qualify as a walkthrough? This guide is such well-laid out and has such a massive collection of maps that it makes the game more approachable. They could have just relied on the videos, but the creators really took that extra step to break it down for even the worst of us players.

The Alien Isolation Trophy Walkthrough is eligible for guide of the year, every guide is! You'll want to pick it as either your guide of the year or your pick of exceptional walkthrough guide, but you can't do the same guide for more than one of your personal nominations :P 

• Like 1

Unfortunately I have not used a single guide from the website from the past year. However, I can select one guide that has greatly impressed me and it's the FFIX guide by ARB1992. Even though I disagree with the scripting option mentioned in the guide as it simplifies and diminishes the trophy, there is no doubt in my mind that this guide, written by one person must have taken a tremendous amount of time to not only write a guide that requires so much information, but to also package it in a coherent, helpful guide. Kudos to that guy and I hope his incredibly work does not get washes away to more popular, more recent gaming guides..

• Like 3

Exceptional use of formatting - Shadow of the Colossus items and trials. I thought this was going to be a lame trophy guide with just a bunch of descriptions, but it really impressed the hell out of me. Excellent formatting and great visuals to go along with it.

Best gameplay guide - Final Fantasy IX - collectables/missables guide. Talk about thorough. OMG. I love handholding in guides and this one literally holds your hand as you walk through the game. 

Niche guide: - https://psnprofiles.com/guide/6565-英雄伝説-閃の軌跡iii-trophy-guide

Seriously, have you've seen this guy's guides? What in the world!?!? Wow. He deserves something here because translating and getting screenshots for all of that is impressive as hell.

I'll leave these 3 nominations for now and may come back to add more. @BlindMango, does coming back and editing a post to add more nominations later okay?

英雄伝説 閃の軌跡III Trophy Guide

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Burgins said:

Exceptional Walkthrough Guide - Burnout Paradise Remastered guide

Exceptional Gameplay Guide - Dead by Daylight

Exceptional DLC Guide - DJMax Respect Clazziquai Edition DLC guide

Exceptional Niche Game Guide - Infernium Guide

Could you please elaborate on that? You are supposed to give a short justification for your nominations.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Burgins said:

Exceptional Walkthrough Guide - Burnout Paradise Remastered guide

Exceptional Gameplay Guide - Dead by Daylight

These two aren't gameplay or walkthrough guides, they're just regular trophy guides - you can use "Gameplay & Walkthrough Guides" list in the OP for help with finding some though!

Also you'll need to give your personal pick for guide of the year when you're able to

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I'll leave these 3 nominations for now and may come back to add more. @BlindMango, does coming back and editing a post to add more nominations later okay?

18 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

Yep, that is okay to do! :) 

Actually, it would be better to use a new post once the nominations have been added to the main post. That makes it a lot easier for us to keep track of everything.

• Like 1

Exceptional Walkthrough Guide: Shadow of the Tomb Raider 
This guide has some nice details regarding the chapters from Tomb raider. It really helped me understanding certain missions and chapters.

Exceptional Use of Original Content: Burly men at Sea
Just like @eigen-space said, the writer made his own roadmap and images for this guide. 
The roadmap is extremely insightful regarding the trophies that can be earned at certain points within the game. 
I didn't play this game yet, but i certainly will thanks to this guide.

For guide of the year I would like to nominate "Burly men at Sea"

I really like the self-made images and more writers should put such effort into their guides

I also want to include battlefield 1 turning tides DLC trophy guide for the category DLC guides.

The guide has some great explanation on how to complete certain trophies regarding weapon kills.

I added some more nominations to my original post :)

Edited by Tootherella
  • Like 1

I'm a bit of a lurker on here after making a new PSN account, but I've used quite a lot of guides this year, so hopefully I can chime in a bit here.

Guide of the Year - Monster Hunter: World ( @Undead Wolf @Redgrave, @ManaFear, @Golden Devil Gamer) An all around pretty incredible guide that I'm honestly surprised hasn't been nominated yet. It has all the essential information you need to take with you while going into the game as both an expert level Monster Hunter player, or a total newbie. The amount of information and ground that needs to be covered for this game, and with the guide entirely matching that up to a considerable degree, is very impressive. I think it should be praised as one of, if not the best guide of the year. I would also vote for this guide in terms of Best Original Content Use as well, but I don't think you can nominate one guide for two different categories.

Exceptional Use of Formatting - Shadow of the Tomb Raider ( @ddracarys, @BlindMango) Definitely one of the most well organized guides to come out this year. While the information presented might not be too overwhelming by any means, such great formatting, organization skills, and writing still makes for a great read.

Exceptional Walkthrough Guide - Claire: Full Trophy Walkthrough ( @optimusmart, @Optinooby) I'm throwing this one in there because, while I didn't use many guides this year, this one definitely stood out to me for pure walkthrough skills. It accomplishes everything it needs to tell you from a guide's perspective, as well as from the players, it doesn't lack of any front. It's simple, concise, and thorough.

(I think I have enough nominations, if not, someone let me know! (: )

Edited by RayoCaliente
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Soufwar said:

My trophy guide vote goes to Battlefield 3.

DLC guide vote to Battlefield: End Game DLC.

Gameplay and Walkthrough vote goes to Claire.

Original Content goes to Dungeon Punks. 

Holy shit thank you dude! much love <3.

I will cast my votes later this week =3

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, RayoCaliente said:

Exceptional Use of Formatting - Shadow of the Tomb Raider ( @ddracarys, @BlindMango) Definitely one of the most well organized guides to come out this year. While the information presented might not be too overwhelming by any means, such great formatting, organization skills, and writing still makes for a great read.

(I think I have enough nominations, if not, someone let me know! (: )

That guide can't be nominated, because it's written solely by Guide Team members.

43 minutes ago, Soufwar said:

My trophy guide vote goes to Battlefield 3.

DLC guide vote to Battlefield: End Game DLC.

Gameplay and Walkthrough vote goes to Claire.

Original Content goes to Dungeon Punks. 

You're required to give solid reasons for the nominations.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sephiroth4424 said:

So, we can only choose from the 4 categories? I checked everything and the only thing i've played this year is the dlc Comrades for FF XV.

I am one year behind 

No, a minimum of 4 are required: the overall and at least 3 categories. You're allowed to nominate a guide for each category.

Edited by Dragon-Archon