Guide of the Year Awards 2018 - Nominations Thread

Platisfaction

11 minutes ago, Phoenixgaming1 said:

My brother explained to me what happened just now, I apologize for this misunderstanding. If you feel like I should be banned from the competition feel free to do so. I gave him my second account to play fortnite since I had stopped playing it and he loves the game, he wants to try and trophy hunt since he has winter break from school and decided to vote for my guides since he'll be using them to trophy hunt in the games I help him buy. I don't really care for this whole "Guide of the year" stuff I didn't even know it existed before today. Again sorry the misunderstanding, don't take his comment into consideration. 

You must understand our perspective. Someone with a freshly made account is voting for your guides, and his name is almost the same as yours. This can cause confusion. It is nothing personal =)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noahez92 said:

How does one submit a guide in the Guide section? Do I have to be premium member?

Nope, just go to the trophy page of the game you want to create a guide for and you can start creating by clicking on 'create a gameplay or a trophy guide'. It's recommended to check out the guide forum resources to make sure it's up to the right quality that's wanted for publication. 

EDIT:

9 hours ago, knoef_NL said:

People who cheat should be banned from the awards......

Why? Cheating gives them no advantage in creating a guide and we advertise that flagged users can use this site as normal if they keep the flag. I strongly disagree with this statement. 

Edited by Kittet3

40 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

EDIT:

Why? Cheating gives them no advantage in creating a guide and we advertise that flagged users can use this site as normal if they keep the flag. I strongly disagree with this statement. 

I think he meant people who vote for their own guide using an alt account in order to get some nominations, which would be cheating the voting system because actual people didn't vote for their guide. 

• Like 1

On 2018-12-03 at 0:48 PM, Erkawest said:

Definitely Guide of the year - monster hunter world

I'm not sure if my vote counted or not since I didn't vote for a minimum of 3, but here goes:

Guide of the year - Monster Hunter World: Can't say that I had much use of it since I was close to finishing the platinum myself when the guide came out, but when I checked the guide afterwards everything was spot-on correct and well written. Every detail and trick I learned on my own could be found in their guide.

Exceptional walkthrough guide - Detroit: Become Human: This game has multiple choices which will lead to several playthroughs. Following this guide made me sure not to miss any collectibles or trophies, was 100% accurate and explained the most effective route to platinum. I was somewhat confused on how to tackle the game before coming across this guide.

Exceptional gameplay guide - Farcry 5: Helpful and detailed guide for getting all those nasty collectibles

Exceptional quality upkeep - Red Dead Redemption 2: It's a big game and people keep finding better/easier methods on how to completing certain things. Even today people are discovering new stuff. I've seen many giving feedback in the comment section in this guide and the authors make sure to edit their guides accordingly to make sure it is updated.

• Like 1

Exceptional walkthrough: Tomb raider Exhaustive, well structured , clear, helpful, complete

Exceptional Gameplay RDR2 Exhaustive, well structured , clear, helpful, complete. A great guide for a great game.

Trophy guide Far cry 5. Essential at the time of side quests. Very well structured and clear.

DLC Guide Uncharted 4. I plat U4 but still need the 100% via the MP mode. Very clear and well structured. Most exhaustive and complete guide ever made. Getting some MP will appear now less challenging thanks this 5* guide. A must have. 

Edited by BeetleBobBailey
  • Like 2

On 10-12-2018 at 4:55 AM, noahez92 said:

How does one submit a guide in the Guide section? Do I have to be premium member?

On 10-12-2018 at 6:10 AM, Kittet3 said:

Nope, just go to the trophy page of the game you want to create a guide for and you can start creating by clicking on 'create a gameplay or a trophy guide'. It's recommended to check out the guide forum resources to make sure it's up to the right quality that's wanted for publication. 

Basically what Kittet3 said. Once you have the game on your profile on this site, you can create a guide for it. If you're considering writing an official guide, please take a look at the Guide Manual for some useful information to help you get started.

Edited by Dragon-Archon

9 hours ago, Erkawest said:

IExceptional walkthrough guide - Detroit: Become Human: This game has multiple choices which will lead to several playthroughs. Following this guide made me sure not to miss any collectibles or trophies, was 100% accurate and explained the most effective route to platinum. I was somewhat confused on how to tackle the game before coming across this guide.

Exceptional gameplay guide - Farcry 5: Helpful and detailed guide for getting all those nasty collectibles

I didn't tally those, because technically they are not walkthrough/gameplay guides but simply trophy guides.

Except for that, all votes up to this point have been tallied. Updating the OP now...

Edit: Done. The links are working properly again, too. ;)

Edited by Platisfaction

Guide of the Year:
Pyre

The guide is extremely complete, detailed, and provided the perfect companion to a truly amazing game.

Niche:
Seasons After Fall

Not that Pyre isn't niche, but in order to spice things up, I picked another helpful guide.

Formatting:
Papers, Please

Papers, Please is the epitome of a visual game: you need to remember sigils, forms, faces, etc. I used the chart and pictures in that guide extensively, and it gets my vote.

DLC:
Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag: Freedom Cry

Short guide which details exactly what needs to be done.

Gameplay:
2064: Read Only Memories

I had given up on that game because of the frustration (and the crashes) but following the guide lead me to a painless platinum (on a game that was so promising, but ended up disappointingly in-your-face)

Original Content:
Kona

I have to admit I did not use the videos, but the maps were definitely extremely useful for yet another fun game!

No no kuni II: guide of the year, hands down. This guide is better than an old school strategy guide! You can tell that the author(s) took a lot of time and care into writing this wonderful guide. I’m not even gonna throw any other votes out there, because let’s be honest: if you actually read this guide and looked through it’s contents, it’s not contest. Ni no kuni guide should be a staple and all other guides should strive to be measurable in comparison.

I have to nominate the Tales of Innocence R guide for guide of the year. If some of these other guides beat it out because of the game's popularity, it will be a travesty.

I want to also nominate it for exceptional use of original content, exceptional niche game guide, and exceptional walkthrough if that's possible. It simply has to win something. It is BY FAR the best guide I've seen on PSNP for any year.

11 hours ago, xxdmcgee2288xx said:

No no kuni II: guide of the year, hands down. This guide is better than an old school strategy guide! You can tell that the author(s) took a lot of time and care into writing this wonderful guide. I’m not even gonna throw any other votes out there, because let’s be honest: if you actually read this guide and looked through it’s contents, it’s not contest. Ni no kuni guide should be a staple and all other guides should strive to be measurable in comparison.

Could you elaborate on that? I'm seeing lots of text stating it's the best guide, but nothing that goes into detail as to why that is. So, basically what did you think is so good about it? Btw, you have to nominate one overall guide and at least 3 categories.

10 hours ago, BeautifulTorment said:

I have to nominate the Tales of Innocence R guide for guide of the year. If some of these other guides beat it out because of the game's popularity, it will be a travesty.

I want to also nominate it for exceptional use of original content, exceptional niche game guide, and exceptional walkthrough if that's possible. It simply has to win something. It is BY FAR the best guide I've seen on PSNP for any year.

Sadly, the author requested his guide to be removed from the list of eligible guides, so Tales of Innocence R doesn't count.

First time being part of this, and it's a cool idea to recognize the work of others when it's due. Here are my votes:

Trophy Guide of the Year: Monster Hunter World Trophy Guide. The amount of content and detail that had to be put in the guide is insane.

Exceptional Niche Game Guide: Reverie Trophy Guide. Very well put and extremely helpful.

Exceptional Use of Formatting: Shadow of the Colossus: Time Trials & Items Guide. A perfect complement to the SoTC guide I wrote. The creator of that guide definitely put a lot of effort into it.

Exceptional use of Original Content: Stardew Valley Trophy Guide. I didn't use it specifically for the PS4 or Vita versions of the game, but was very useful when playing on another platform.

Edited by Necroadr
minor typos
  • Like 1

@snakebit10 @TurtlePM @STARLOVE @Tootherella @Erkawest @Gerikst00f @Lava_Yuki @JNSpradlin @Bahamut3104 @M-C83 @Wuthg21 @PerryToxteth Just a heads up: you all have less than 4 nominations. The deadline is coming up, so be sure to nominate at least 1 guide of the year and 3 categories, as it might not count otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

@snakebit10 @TurtlePM @STARLOVE @Tootherella @Erkawest @Gerikst00f @Lava_Yuki @JNSpradlin @Bahamut3104 @M-C83 @Wuthg21 @PerryToxteth Just a heads up: you all have less than 4 nominations. The deadline is coming up, so be sure to nominate at least 1 guide of the year and 3 categories, as it might not count otherwise.

Might? So there is a possibility they will count and a possibility that they wont count?

Could you explain please.

"Try to nominate at least 3 categories (Though you can nominate 7 categories!) and briefly say why you like those." 

i'm pretty sure they tried to nominate at least 4. 

words like " try"  and "might"  make the rules not very specific. 

Edited by knoef_NL

1 minute ago, knoef_NL said:

Might? So there is a possibility they will count and a possibility that they wont count?

Could you explain please.

We're still discussing it and we'll let you know as soon as we've reached a consensus. Just in case it's better to reach at least the minimum. However, since you haven't nominated anything, It doesn't affect you, so there's no need to worry about it.

4 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

We're still discussing it and we'll let you know as soon as we've reached a consensus. Just in case it's better to reach at least the minimum. However, since you haven't nominated anything, It doesn't affect you, so there's no need to worry about it.

True, but it does affect my guides who got nominated, so i'll be watching you closely sir Archon ?

Trophy Guide @AshestoAshes28
https://psnprofiles.com/guide/6590-kona-trophy-guide
The guide is very engaging and nice to read. The text with the occasional images make it a fine guide to read.

DLC @NCSFan001
https://psnprofiles.com/guide/7704-far-cry-5-dead-living-zombies-dlc-trophy-guide
I like the videos and images a lot. The guide is very thorough for a dlc, but not too long and straight to the point.

Gameplay @optimusmart
https://psnprofiles.com/guide/7630-alien-isolation-trophy-walkthrough
Author really wanted to show off with this one. lots of tricks and tips regarding the game.
This guide make this game beatable, and perhaps a little less scary.

Original content @TugaSonic
https://psnprofiles.com/guide/7074-tearaway-unfolded-completist-trophy-guide
In my opinion, original content is something you make yourself, and not some screenshots ingame. However, one could argue that real life photos are the same thing as ingame screenshots.
With this in mind, i would like to nominate Tearaway. This guide has a lot of images and videos, which help you understand the guide and make it a nice (long) read!

Guide of the Year @Jelloycat
https://psnprofiles.com/guide/7708-stardew-valley-trophy-guide
This guide has lot's of table's, images and is a good read. I especially like the table with the ingame characters.
I think that this guide covered 99% of the game, which is written with compelling passion for the game, which they obviously loved. 

So much drama! Juicy ?

For real though...

GUIDE OF THE YEAR:

Monster Hunter: World

This is the gold standard in guide writing. It's comprehensive with impression attention to detail. No other supplementary guides are necessary to complete this game. Further, it is a fantastic example of formatting and contains original content. I fully expect this guide to take out one of the many categories this year.

FORMATTING:

God of War 2018

A comprehensive guide with clear and thought out formatting. It is easy to read and contains multiple styles to display the required information in an accessible manner.

ORIGINAL CONTENT: 

Stardew Valley

Similar to MH: World, this guide also sets the gold standard for guide writing. It is clear that significant research has been undertaken to deliver a one-stop shop for any information on Stardew Valley. If it does not win in this category, I expect that it will be due to winning GOTY, Exceptional Guide or Exceptional Formatting. I was very impressed!

DLC:

Uncharted 4: Survival DLC

I did a bit of research for my nomination in this category as I hadn't utilised any (new) DLC guides this year, and I wanted to find a guide that held up to the standards of my other nominations. This is the most well-thought out, well-formatted, researched, comprehensive DLC guide that I found amongst the eligible competition. While I haven't used the guide, a browse was all that I needed to recommend it here.

For the record, it's really hard to pick one guide for some of these categories... Monster Hunter, God of War and Stardew Valley all qualify in my mind for Guide of the Year, Exceptional Guide, Formatting and Original Content... it was awkward picking the appropriate category to nominate them... good luck choosing amongst yourselves; it's going to be tough!

Congrats and good effort to all nominees :)

Edited by GonzoWARgasm
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

So much drama! Juicy 1f37f.png

For real though...

GUIDE OF THE YEAR:

Monster Hunter: World

FORMATTING:

God of War 2018

ORIGINAL CONTENT: 

Stardew Valley

DLC:

Uncharted 4: Survival DLC

For the record, it's really hard to pick one guide for some of these categories... Monster Hunter, God of War and Stardew Valley all qualify in my mind for Guide of the Year, Exceptional Guide, Formatting and Original Content. 

Good luck picking the winners! 

Congrats and good effort to all nominees :)

You're supposed to give solid reasons for your nominations.