Guide of the Year Awards 2018 - Nominations Thread

Platisfaction

1 minute ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Lol, definitely :lol: . Maybe next year we should add "Read the first post before nominating" to the thread title :hmm: .

Mate the OP is really clear and well detailed. I've read it four times since it was posted. People are just "d-u-m stupid" sometimes. As someone who both works with members of the public and who made the above mistake, I can attest to the dependability of human errors. Common sense isn't common haha

@Dragon-Archon Ill add the Payday 2 - Gage russian dlc as my DLC guide of the year then, the information in the dlc is straight forward while giving enough information that even new players would know what to so, it is also well formatted so you do not get lost that easily. That should bring me to 4 nominations =)

Hello ?.                                            I would like to nominate:                   Guide of the year: Final Fantasy 9.   The guide describe every trophy very detailed with a great solution how to achieve it the fastest and best way.                                                         Dlc guide: uncharted 4 survivor.       During the updates and weapons nerfing and making it more challenging through naughty dog. The Autor of the Guide has put Tipps and strategies how to get through it really in depths. He has put personal experience plus visual videos in it.                           Walkthrough guide: la noire 5 star cases.                                             The guide is nice to follow and points out exactly what to do to get the cases with highest rank in short time to get it done.                          Original content:marvels spider man guide.                    The guide has a great structure from step by step guide to the detailed trophy guide with videos linked to collectibles and other side missions.                             At this point I want to thank everyone who put so much effort in guides to help other gamers out !!! Cheers ?✌️

Edited by DENNIS330bmw

3 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

@snakebit10 @TurtlePM @STARLOVE @Tootherella @Erkawest @Gerikst00f @Lava_Yuki @JNSpradlin @Bahamut3104 @M-C83 @Wuthg21 @PerryToxteth Just a heads up: you all have less than 4 nominations. The deadline is coming up, so be sure to nominate at least 1 guide of the year and 3 categories, as it might not count otherwise.

Ok. 

DLC - FFXV Royal Pack

This guide is well written and the videos for the datalogs helped out tremendously.

3 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

@snakebit10 @TurtlePM @STARLOVE @Tootherella @Erkawest @Gerikst00f @Lava_Yuki @JNSpradlin @Bahamut3104 @M-C83 @Wuthg21 @PerryToxteth Just a heads up: you all have less than 4 nominations. The deadline is coming up, so be sure to nominate at least 1 guide of the year and 3 categories, as it might not count otherwise.

I have updated my post, on page 3 near the bottom.

5 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Updated my post to include a 4th nomination. It's on the 3rd page.

• Guide of the Year - 英雄伝説 閃の軌跡III Trophy Guide

- A very well written guide that covers almost everything about the game. The guide provide detailed info for each trophies obtained in the game, including missable ones, plus some extra info and also comes with the translated Japanese texts which help players (especially English speakers) to understand more as they go through the game.

• Exceptional Walkthrough Guide - 英雄伝説 閃の軌跡III - Overall Walkthrough

- A very "exceptional" supplement guide for the trophy guide above. A well-structured walkthrough from start to finish. Other things included in the guide are checklist. CHECKLIST (that's rare in many RPG guides), lots of maps but not a simple one, but with treasure location and other stuff. And yes, also comes with the translated Japanese text.

• Exceptional Quality Upkeep - Girls und Panzer: Dream Tank Match Trophy Guide

- The guide writer has done fantastic job on keeping this guide updated, especially in regard to the glitch trophy. And yes, just like the other guide, this one is very detailed as well. Just look at those tables (and pictures). Oh my god. ? ?

• Exceptional Use of Original Content - Mary Skelter: Nightmares Trophy Guide 

- The maps included in the guide are very helpful when navigating through the dungeons. Formatting in this guide are done very well too.

• Exceptional Gameplay Guide - Red Dead Redemption 2 - Gold Medals, Challenges, and 100% Completion Guide 

- All the tips, walkthrough and videos included in this guide are very helpful to achieve the 100% completion. It even stated which missions are easy or hard for the Gold Medals.

TROPHY GUIDE OF THE YEAR: God of War Trophy Guide: This is a very informative guide, I found getting the platinum very easy following this guide for the trophies.

EXCEPTIONAL USE OF ORIGINAL CONTENT Burly Men At Sea Trophy Guide: A very clear trophy guide that helped me get the platinum in around an hour. 

EXCEPTIONAL USE OF FORMATTING: Shadow of the Colossus - Time Trials & Items Guide: A very detailed guide for a classic game, I remember playing this on the ps2 and I want to play it now on the ps4, I heard a lot of bad things about the time trials and I was worried it would be a platinum blocker but after reading through this guide I am confident when I do end up getting around to playing and platinuming this game I'll be able to complete it with ease.

EXCEPTIONAL NICHE GAME GUIDE Call of Duty: Black Ops III Trophy Guide: This guide is helpful for a few of the harder trophies of the game, it has a lot of detail for the game and multiplayer trophies which are a pain to get achieve.

These are my picks for the Guide of the year awards.

• Like 1

I didn't use much guides this year apart from 3 or 4 but I'll have to vote for Monster Hunter World, not only is a majestic game and my game of the year but the guide team did a fantastic job with it, in the end my participation wasn't even needed, @Undead Wolfcan attest to that, congratulation to all involved with that one. My guide of the year. 

Walkthrough guide goes to Shadow of the tomb raider and exceptional gameplay for Final Fantasy IX missable trophy guide, all well written .

• Like 2

• Exceptional Gameplay Guide Red Dead Redemption 2 Gold Medals, Challenges, and 100% Completion Guide. I know Read Dead Redemption 2 pretty good and comparing my information with the guides information it seems everythings accurate. Its well structured and everthings missable is pointed out, the author also implements a video for all missions and trophies.

• Exceptional DLC Guide Prey - Mooncrash DLC Trophy Guide. I havent really used any DLC guide this year but to fill this nomination i just went through the guides list and checked this one with a star besides. Turns out its really well made, lots of information and the author made his own videos.

• Exceptional Walkthrough Guide L.A. Noire - Five Star Case GuideIm about to start L.A. Noire in a few days, i checked this guide and even without playing the game it looks clear and its easy to understand. I will definitely use this guide and im sure i wont be disapptointed.

Edited by KingTom95
  • Like 2

Guide of the Year: Stardew Valley - Chock full of important and essential information, while staying easily accessible for the average player, I personally used this guide when playing the game on PC and I wouldn't have it any other way. Reading other guides on other websites, they don't really compare to this one when it comes to Stardew Valley. Excellent on pretty much all grounds, easily one of the best guides to release this year.

Exceptional Niche Game Guideねこあつめ VR - Perfect guide for a game like this. Unfortunately, both the game and guide will be overlooked because of the language barrier, VR requirement, and just lack of popularity. I think the guide is exactly right for the game, as it has everything you need, with great hand-holding for people who don't understand or know how to navigate the Japanese language.

Exceptional Use of Formatting Guide: Shadow of the Colossus Time Trials & Items Guide - Was thoroughly impressed with this guide when it came out, instantly became one of my favourites this year. I really love the general presentation of just all the information, it really perfectly displays what you need to know, when you need to know it, without being either an eye sore or a slog to read through. It is intoxicating in its simplicity.

Exceptional Use of Original Content: Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise - (There are two very well done guides for this game, but I'm writing this based off the first one published). I wanted to nominate this for both great use of original content and great formatting, but I should limit it to one at a time. Lots of original content, whether it be videos made by the author or just hand-made bricks of usefulness with their own screenshots, tables, etc. Very solid guide that is both very charming and informative without sacrificing one or the other.

Exceptional Walkthrough Guide: Alien: Isolation - Another game I used this guide on PC for. This is definitely one of the most well rounded guides I've seen on the website this year. I don't have much else to say other than just how good it accomplishes exactly what it set out to do. The guide practically holds your hand and guides you through the game with ease, what more could you ask for in this case? Excellent information presented and formatted, all the information you need on even some of the smaller details. I don't necessarily think you need a guide like this to glide through the game, but it sure as hell increases the quality-of-life ten fold.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, knoef_NL said:

"Try to nominate at least 3 categories (Though you can nominate 7 categories!) and briefly say why you like those." 

i'm pretty sure they tried to nominate at least 4. 

words like " try"  and "might"  make the rules not very specific. 

Just noticed this edit, the OP also states the following:

On 2-12-2018 at 5:00 PM, Platisfaction said:

The Categories

Keep in mind that this year you are allowed to vote for more than one guide. Apart from Guide of the Year, which is of course still the main category, you are finally allowed to give other guides the recognition they certainly deserve.

Guide of the Year (nominate 1 guide you thought was the best): 

The new categories are (nominate at least 3 categories):

Here Are the Rules

• Starting on December 2nd, the community will be able to nominate guides for the overall top 3 and a guide in each category that are worthy to be considered for the GotY Award. When nominating, a minimum of 4 are required: at least 3 categories and a nomination for the overall top 3.

(I'm feeling a bit bummed right now, I had everything written out and was just finishing the last link when I accidentally clicked back on this tab and lost all my progress :(). 

Anyway, finally decided to get around to stop being lazy and start writing this out. There's been some great guides this year, though since I was focused so much on my backlog I haven't had much of a chance to use a lot of them yet unfortunately. Congrats to whoever wins!

Guide of the Year

Alien: Isolation - Trophy Walkthrough

Damn, this guide is simply fantastic. Makes me wish I'd waited a few years to play the game as this would've been a great help for my first couple of runs. No disrespect to the original guide, which is also superb, but you can really tell how much pride, time and effort was put into this. It's quite intensive, but definitely has an excuse to be given how lengthy this game is compared to your average campaign. I'm also a fan of text heavy guides as opposed to just embedded videos, so this really hit the mark for me. 

Exceptional Walkthrough Guide

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - Missable Trophy Walkthrough

This walkthrough would be a tremendous help to anybody looking to get into this game. This is especially the case given that almost every trophy is missable, but the way that this has been laid out makes that seem a lot less daunting. It's very helpful to see what you're getting into before starting each mission, and a walkthrough is (imo) the most useful type of guide for this series. I also like the fact it's not just a mountain of text and isn't spoiler-heavy.

Exceptional DLC Guide

Battlefield 4 - China Rising DLC Trophy Guide

Super useful even for a Battlefield noob like myself. Haven't quite finished with the assignments for the final trophy yet but this has been a great help so far. Really appreciate the table for the assignments and the tips for each one that come along with it, so that I don't have to keep going back to the Battlelog app. 

Exceptional Use of Original Content

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Trophy Walkthrough

Another really well-laid out, great looking guide. (Probably why I didn't nominate anything for the formatting category, cause I can't decide which is best). Really like the different use of text, tables, images and original gameplay walkthroughs, which isn't something you always see with larger games. Noticed while going through it that this was written by the same guys who made my nominated GOTY, so I'll be keeping an eye out for their future work.  

• Like 1

TROPHY GUIDE OF THE YEAR: Red Dead Redemption 2 Trophy Guide by NCSFan001 and ManaFear: A very clear and comprehensive guide for RDR2, including all of the gold medal missions and difficulty for each.  

EXCEPTIONAL USE OF ORIGINAL CONTENT Burly men at sea by Knoef_NL: A very clear trophy guide that helped me get the platinum in around an hour. 

EXCEPTIONAL DLC GUIDE OF THE YEAR: Battlefield 1 - Apocalypse DLC Trophy Guide by wuthg21: Very easy to read and clear overview of the requirements for the trophies. 

Exceptional Quality Upkeep Burly men at sea by Knoef_NL: Replies to all commets and engages with the players regarding questions and feedback.

These are my choices for the Guide of the year awards :)

23 minutes ago, simmity said:

EXCEPTIONAL USE OF ORIGINAL CONTENT Burly men at sea by Knoef_NL: A very clear trophy guide that helped me get the platinum in around an hour. 

So, where is your plat for this game? It's not even on your profile, nor do you have any hidden games. Besides that, it's an odd reason to provide for original content, to say the least.

Just now, Dragon-Archon said:

So, where is your plat for this game? It's not even on your profile, nor do you have any hidden games. Besides that, it's an odd reason to provide for original content, to say the least.

My playstation has yet to sync with the servers.

As i said to your fellow guide member, i'm not @Knoef_NL.
If you and your team are having problems with my nominations, please delete it. It's a user based contest. 

16 minutes ago, simmity said:

My playstation has yet to sync with the servers.

As i said to your fellow guide member, i'm not @Knoef_NL.
If you and your team are having problems with my nominations, please delete it. It's a user based contest. 

Then please do so.

I never said you're knoef and I didn't see anyone else from the guide team online. So, which member was it?

3 minutes ago, visighost said:

I just noticed my nominations weren’t included... was my rationale not sufficient?

Platisfaction has been ill, so the standings haven't been updated for a few days.

2 minutes ago, Cobby said:

I vote for the AMY guide.

You need to add solid reasons for your choices. Besides that, a minimum of 4 nominations are required. Check the first post for more information.