Will The Last of Us 2 be better than Red Dead Redemption 2?

ARH65512

I apologize if it's against forum rules, but with the hype around RDR 2 and now it's released, we're still waiting for the sequel to The Last of Us. Now, as you probably guess, The Last of Us is my favorite game (hence the avatar) and it seems to be trophy hunters' favorites as well. However, I also love both RDRs and that's also in my top 10. 

So in a way, yes, I do think it'll be slightly better, but not much. 

Any other thoughts?

• Like 3

I played TLOU several times through because i love the zombi like world and the main characters and the dialogues between them. I even played the mp partially without boosting since it not about winning and grinding can be skipped a bit.

RDR on the other hand didn't feel that way to me. I hardly played the sp and boosted every mp trophy but i don't think i'll return to it soon. I even played RDR2 for an afternoon but it didn't grab either.

So for me decision is easy: TLOU2 has already made a good impression thx to the info shared so far and seems close enough to the first game to become my GOTY of the PS4 games :)

• Like 1

From what I have heard most people who are not Rockstar fanboys agree that RDR2 is impressive, but also that it has it's fair share of problems with the world, the balance and the story so many would not even consider it to be game of the year this year. The first TLOU is one of the all time great games, no one can really deny that even if the game is not to his liking, I am not sure RDR2 will reach the same status.

With TLOU2 it is a different story though. The game has the potential to be widely regarded as the single best game ever made if it delivers on the hype, but it could just as easily disappoint people. I was hyped to the max until I saw the first footage of gameplay and story, and now I am wary and abandoned my plan to preorder it. I want this game to be as great as it can be, but I am in this industry long enough so the warning signs that this game is going to have problems are clear for me to see.

Edited by Nighcisama

I don't even know if you can actually compare them to work out which is the best (bar their production values) to be honest. I think they will offer very different gameplay experiences and stories, but share the same cinematic quality. It would be like comparing Spider-Man to Horizon:Zero Dawn.

I guess the only way you could apply a 'which one is better?' modifier is based on personal preference around the story theme and setting etc. Personally I think both will be different enough and have potential to be equally good so i'm holding my judgement off until i've finished TLOU 2.

I will say though, TLOU 2 is gonna have to pull out all the stops for me to generate the same level of emotional investment I had in the RDR2 characters by the time the story is up.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop

Probably, RDR2 has despite it's grand scale and attentio  to detail, many glaring missteps regarding gameplay. It's good, it's really good but it's not that good.

Unless ND makes the same mistakes with TLU2 but those should be easy to avoid as long as you're not to full of your own artistery.

20 minutes ago, Sundr0wn said:

Probably, RDR2 has despite it's grand scale and attentio  to detail, many glaring missteps regarding gameplay. It's good, it's really good but it's not that good.

Unless ND makes the same mistakes with TLU2 but those should be easy to avoid as long as you're not to full of your own artistery.

What a crazy time we live in. Attention to detail is now a bad thing.
Also, saying something has faults is not revelation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LucianaRosethorn said:

There's no way to say which game is better since it's all down to the person playing it. I think Red Dead Redemption is terrible and The Last of Us has an unoriginal story but I love Dragon Quest XI and personally think it's better then both of them in a lot of ways, it just comes down to preference.

You have an unpopular opinion

• Like 1

I disagree with those saying that you cannot compare the two. How, you ask? Glad you asked.

If part 2 is anything like part 1, The Snore of Us 2 may be the cause of yet another outbreak of spontaneous comas. The Bore of Us isn't original. The Snooze of Us doesn't have the feels. Hell, I cried at the end of Brothers, Journey, and Valiant Hearts. At the end of The Coma of Us, all I said was, "fucking dumb bitch. I'll never get that time of my life back." This will probably be the one game I never finish. I wish I had double jointed knees and hips so I could kick myself in the balls for even putting that unoriginal POS on my profile.

So, in conclusion, I'd rather play roshambo. I'd rather stare at moss growing on a rock. I'd rather do anything than play another The Dull of Us game.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ARH65512 said:

I apologize if it's against forum rules, but with the hype around RDR 2 and now it's released, we're still waiting for the sequel to The Last of Us. Now, as you probably guess, The Last of Us is my favorite game (hence the avatar) and it seems to be trophy hunters' favorites as well. However, I also love both RDRs and that's also in my top 10. 

So in a way, yes, I do think it'll be slightly better, but not much. 

Any other thoughts?

Overhyped myself on RDR2 which is my fault and didn't enjoy it. Found the game boring(just my opinion). Actually having more fun with Far Cry 5 and had more fun with Yakuza. Then again it's each to his own. Gamers will disagree with my post just like I would disagree with someone else. 

Yest I enjoyed LOU and RDR but not going to ride that HYPE TRAIN again. Will buy it once I've seen a few non spoiler videos online. 

Edited by DF007gamer

18 minutes ago, Phil said:

I disagree with those saying that you cannot compare the two. How, you ask? Glad you asked.

If part 2 is anything like part 1, The Snore of Us 2 may be the cause of yet another outbreak of spontaneous comas. The Bore of Us isn't original. The Snooze of Us doesn't have the feels. Hell, I cried at the end of Brothers, Journey, and Valiant Hearts. At the end of The Coma of Us, all I said was, "fucking dumb bitch. I'll never get that time of my life back." This will probably be the one game I never finish. I wish I had double jointed knees and hips so I could kick myself in the balls for even putting that unoriginal POS on my profile.

So, in conclusion, I'd rather play roshambo. I'd rather stare at moss growing on a rock. I'd rather do anything than play another The Dull of Us game.

It took a lot of effort to get through the first one with just how boring I found it to be.

Part 2 probably won't be any better, especially with you playing as ellie who I hated in the first game

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil said:

I dare you to play Rambo: the videogame over TLOU2.

Made me cry of laughing, about that fucking dumb bitch part ?

• Like 1

Silly argument that you can't compare games of different genres.  Of course you can.  Video Game of the Year, Best Picture of the Year, etc. always compare regardless of genre. 

I think TLOU2 will edge RDR2.  But hard to say since it isn't released!

Well it depends on what you want to compare? Presentation? Performance? Story? Characters? Gameplay? Trophies? Overall fun?

A game is a sum of many moving parts, just comparing 2 games overall (one of which hasn't even come out yet) is a bit of a difficult task, OP.

Having said that, I personally am so much more excited for TLOU II. Hope we get a game award announcement.