Will The Last of Us 2 be better than Red Dead Redemption 2?

ARH65512

I played both Red Dead Redemption and The Last Of Us.

I very much enjoyed the Single Player story in both games for different reasons, The Last of Us probably edged it.

Multiplayer wise the two don't even compare. Red Dead Redemption was a painful, hacked, broken mess of an experience that I absolutely loathed, god knows why I ever brought GTA V, doomsday trophies was one of the worst things I've done online. I won't make another mistake playing RDR2 because I know just how bad that will be. In fact from what I'm reading it's worse than GTA V and that's before we get to DLC.

The Last of Us multiplayer on the other hand I was able to do without ever having to boost, it wasn't difficult so I was able to almost enjoy it, which isn't bad considering I don't like multiplayer games.

As for RDR2 and TLOU2, well, I won't be playing RDR2, the hype was hilarious though, TLOU2 will depend on how they handle the multiplayer but I'm hopeful ND will do it right, if not, too many other great titles in my backlog to care.

• Like 1

Depends on if you like an open world or a more linear SP story. Never got far into MP on either of the original games but I enjoyed both fairly equally.

Haven't played RDR2 yet and I'd imagine TLOU2 won't stray far from the first in most aspects.

Can't judge two games I've not played so all I can say is play both when the time comes and decide for yourself .

I think the Last of Us 2 is going to have steep footsteps to follow after the first one's story. A large part of the Last of Us' success was also that it was a really beautiful game on the PS3 when it came out and blew many games out of the water. For that reason alone, I think that RDR2 will probably go down as the better game. 

9 hours ago, Phil said:

I disagree with those saying that you cannot compare the two. How, you ask? Glad you asked.

If part 2 is anything like part 1, The Snore of Us 2 may be the cause of yet another outbreak of spontaneous comas. The Bore of Us isn't original. The Snooze of Us doesn't have the feels. Hell, I cried at the end of Brothers, Journey, and Valiant Hearts. At the end of The Coma of Us, all I said was, "fucking dumb bitch. I'll never get that time of my life back." This will probably be the one game I never finish. I wish I had double jointed knees and hips so I could kick myself in the balls for even putting that unoriginal POS on my profile.

So, in conclusion, I'd rather play roshambo. I'd rather stare at moss growing on a rock. I'd rather do anything than play another The Dull of Us game.

You can take what I highlighted bold in your post and apply this to every other AAA game that has come out in the past couple years.

Am I the only person on this website who doesn't like a lot of these modern games becoming more and more like movies?

• Like 1

Red dead redemption 2 raises the bar high for open world games and it's definitely a masterpiece but so is last of us when it comes to story telling and compelling characters so they're both great for different reasons, I guess it just comes down to personal preference. Only thing that Naughty dog will need to improve In the last of us 2 is the gameplay and they seem to be doing exactly that based off what was shown so far, looked very dynamic I couldn't even believe it wasn't scripted.

Edited by NaseemJohn

I think Rockstar sets the bar in a lot of ways, I’ll probably always have higher expectations for their games.

That said, I couldn’t get into Revolver or Redemption but that’s more to do with not having that much interest in Western settings, and TLOU is one of my all time favourites (both SP and MP) so I’ve been much more hyped about that sequel. It looks like it might be quite a bit different from the first though so I’m also open to the idea of being disappointed with it.

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

That's because you're getting old.

That's one thing. But so is everyone else.

The games you listed apart from The Last of Us were all done on a lower budget and I can consider them to be indies. I can understand why people love the new God of War, Spider-Man, Detroit: Become Human and the such but they're just not my style. One of the reasons I got into gaming was because it was a lot different from your average movie. Now it just feels to me that today's AAA games are more about the graphics and the WOW factor than the gameplay.

That's why I'm not at all hyped up for The Last of Us Part II. But I also feel that games like the Spyro Reignited trilogy (published by Activision sadly) and the modern Yakuza games for the PS4 are a breath of fresh air compared to all the crap that companies like Activision, EA and Ubisoft have put out. Even some of the Sony exclusives are starting to become more drawn out and dramatic. The whole dramatic and drama queen act has gotten incredibly old at this point, but people want that because they want a drama story with today's Hollywood actors to play the roles in the games.

Indie bullet hell shooters, platformers and some point and click/puzzle games give me a feeling of satisfaction and appreciation that no AAA game today will give me.

Edited by Spaz

To be honest, as a game, I never thought much of RDR2 to begin with. It's much more of a technical and detail achievement in my eyes than a great gameplay experience or in its world building/storytelling. It's become just 'another open world game' to me, much of the same in terms of gameplay, bland world, bland storytelling and direction. Open world games are not bad outright, but these days it's all too common to just make an open world filled with filler content for that boastful "this takes 'x' hours to beat!" claims. What's wrong with a well structured, high quality but shorter linear game where every second is enjoyable. Honestly, as much praise as RDR2 got the proof is really in the behaviours of players, was hyped up and people jumped on it with plenty of praise but... a few weeks later, they've moved on having not even finished the game, I don't even see that much talk about the game aside from the discussions around GOTY with The Game Awards coming up bringing it back into relevance and talk about the online rolling out. (Speaking of GOTY though, I reckon God of War might have a good chance there because people were still talking about it before, during and after RDR2s release while RDR2 quickly fell in the shadow of other games released during/after it's release window)

I can't really judge or predict a game that hasn't even come out because you just don't know really, and I was hesitant on a TLOU2 (I thought it did a great job as a standalone game, no need for any kind of series) but I would say I trust TLOU2 to deliver more on a quality game and to have that higher quality of storytelling.

I don't think it'll have the same impact though as what the first TLOU had, maybe it will mop up GOTY awards, or maybe it'll just be a contender. But the first TLOU had a huge impact, it's all everyone would talk about for years, it entered lists for best game of all time etc. and whilst I do think it's fairly overrated in that sense and put on some crazy high pedestal, it certainly still was a game that deserved a good part of that response. And remember, whether to your tastes or not, ND do deliver consistently with critics and consumers and quite often raise the bar.

40 minutes ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

To be honest, as a game, I never thought much of RDR2 to begin with. It's much more of a technical and detail achievement in my eyes than a great gameplay experience or in its world building/storytelling. It's become just 'another open world game' to me, much of the same in terms of gameplay, bland world, bland storytelling and direction. Open world games are not bad outright, but these days it's all too common to just make an open world filled with filler content for that boastful "this takes 'x' hours to beat!" claims. What's wrong with a well structured, high quality but shorter linear game where every second is enjoyable. Honestly, as much praise as RDR2 got the proof is really in the behaviours of players, was hyped up and people jumped on it with plenty of praise but... a few weeks later, they've moved on having not even finished the game, I don't even see that much talk about the game aside from the discussions around GOTY with The Game Awards coming up bringing it back into relevance and talk about the online rolling out. (Speaking of GOTY though, I reckon God of War might have a good chance there because people were still talking about it before, during and after RDR2s release while RDR2 quickly fell in the shadow of other games released during/after it's release window)

Have you even played it though or just watched others play it since it's not on your profile. People aren't talking about because they're likely still busy playing it and to also avoid spoilers. 

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

That's one thing. But so is everyone else.

The games you listed apart from The Last of Us were all done on a lower budget and I can consider them to be indies. I can understand why people love the new God of War, Spider-Man, Detroit: Become Human and the such but they're just not my style. One of the reasons I got into gaming was because it was a lot different from your average movie. Now it just feels to me that today's AAA games are more about the graphics and the WOW factor than the gameplay.

That's why I'm not at all hyped up for The Last of Us Part II. But I also feel that games like the Spyro Reignited trilogy (published by Activision sadly) and the modern Yakuza games for the PS4 are a breath of fresh air compared to all the crap that companies like Activision, EA and Ubisoft have put out. Even some of the Sony exclusives are starting to become more drawn out and dramatic. The whole dramatic and drama queen act has gotten incredibly old at this point, but people want that because they want a drama story with today's Hollywood actors to play the roles in the games.

Indie bullet hell shooters, platformers and some point and click/puzzle games give me a feeling of satisfaction and appreciation that no AAA game today will give me.

I hate to be the "because opinions" guy... but it's very possible AAA games don't give you the satisfaction that certain popular indie genres do, well, because opinions.  Just like you'd have a hard time convincing me that any point and click puzzle games have objectively better gameplay than God of War or Spider-Man, despite their graphics and WOW factor.

Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean that it must be missing some integral piece of the formula.  Maybe a lot of these games aren't necessarily "more about graphics and the WOW factor than the gameplay"... but it's just a different kind of gameplay that you don't like as much.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

Maybe it's that I'm getting older (45 in a few months) and probably lazier, but I personally enjoy games like TLOU that focus on narrative more than gameplay. It's not like these games are a new thing. Remember Metal Gear Solid 4?  That said I do think and hope TLOU2  will even those elements out.

Games with the opposite focus just as well. Frantic, sweaty palm-inducing,call your controller racial slurs... it just depends on what I'm down for at the time.

There's more than enough room for both in my opinion .

Edited by Sofa King

1 hour ago, Phil said:

That's because you're getting old.

Might be an indicator of the opposite. Old gamers remember when the medium switched from carts to CD-ROM and how developers used the higher storage capacity and improved audio/visuals to make movie video games. Never mind, that some made movie video games on VHS and Laserdisc before CD-ROM. 

New gamers either ignore or aren't aware of the fact some developers have always wanted games to rival other media like movies and books. Complaining, or implying, that God of War, Spider-man, and TLOU are too movie like isn't the insult new gamers think it is. 

24 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Might be an indicator of the opposite. Old gamers remember when the medium switched from carts to CD-ROM and how developers used the higher storage capacity and improved audio/visuals to make movie video games. Never mind, that some made movie video games on VHS and Laserdisc before CD-ROM. 

New gamers either ignore or aren't aware of the fact some developers have always wanted games to rival other media like movies and books. Complaining, or implying, that God of War, Spider-man, and TLOU are too movie like isn't the insult new gamers think it is. 

If TLOU is like a movie, it's like a boring, shitty movie.

I don't mind cinematic games, they just have to be good. I have more than a couple movie-like games that I've completed, and enjoyed.

I only played The last of us once and that was only because it came with my ps4. I never had a ps3 only a ps2 so TLOU was my first PSN game. I did like the story but as you can tell from my trophies from TLOU, I only played it on normal and I only went through the game once. Now I have never played RDR 1 or 2 but from what I see from reviews and gameplay videos I see on youtube, the game has replayability for most people. TLOU is one of those games where you only play it once, maybe play online for an hour or 2 and never touch the game again. I'm not saying that the game is bad. The story was great! But in terms of gameplay, it is not for everyone.  I'm sure there are some people who replayed the game but I know for a fact that at least 80% of people played through the story once and never touched the game again. The game is not really replayable for most people. RDR however seems to have a lot of replayability. Like I said before I have never played RDR 1 or 2 before but I can see why everyone loves it so much. So I would have to say RDR2 will be better then TLOU2. Also RDR and TLOU is not really comparable. The only thing that they have in common is the fact that they are both 3rd person shooters.  

Edited by jamaicanchampion

1 hour ago, Phil said:

If TLOU is like a movie, it's like a boring, shitty movie.

I don't mind cinematic games, they just have to be good. I have more than a couple movie-like games that I've completed, and enjoyed.

No games needs to please you and nothing I've said hinges on your personal tastes.

Story wise, TLOU 2 may be better but everything else compared to RDR2 falls down the drain.

I am feed up with Louisiana KKK yokels and other inbreeds... it's boring theme, swamps and crocodiles we had in mafia 3, far cry 5, now even in rdr2...oh and outlast 2.... enough please.

• Like 1