Where to go from here...

AJ_Radio

Despite my issues with mobile games in general I am starting to get into Fallout Shelter.

I have 62 dwellers currently in my vault (Vault 187) with around 10k bottle caps and 100 nuka colas.

I only just discovered that crafting rooms (Weapon Crafting, Outfit Crafting and Theme Crafting) level up your dwellers faster, while rooms that focus on stats don't give you any XP and other rooms only give the standard rate of XP. I have a level 28 dweller that I got from scratch when I started, can anyone tell me is it worth putting that dweller in a crafting room to get to level 50?

I haven't come across any Deathclaw encounters but I figure they are the worst, with Scorpions being rather annoying. One strategy that may prove effective is to place two high level dwellers in the Vault Room and rooms adjacent with legendary weapons and outfits. I haven't tested this against Raiders or Feral Ghouls but I usually do okay in killing them.

The rooms I have to build left are the higher tier rooms that give a higher outfit of power, food and water. Building all the rooms is required for a trophy and to get that I need 100 dwellers. Right now I think babies are the best way to increase the dweller count but with that increase comes the increased risk of having Deathclaw encounters. When the children grow into adults after a few hours they usually have all very low stats, and dwellers at level 1 do not last long against enemy encounters. Should I focus on giving birth to more babies or try my luck in the radio station to get potential dwellers?

The few times I managed to get a dweller from the wasteland to the vault I have found that they have better stats. Lunchboxes are a complete crapshoot and are a waste of money in my opinion, although a few that I bought have given me legendary dwellers who are maxed out in some stats.

Quests are in my view the best thing about Fallout Shelter, and I have slowly been increasing my nuka cola count by completing quests. Bottle and Cappy rarely give out nuka cola bottles and therefore I don't think they're worth the effort. For the past few days I have sent out my best dwellers on quests that usually take a few hours to reach their destinations, and I go AFK and do something else. Quests with higher level requirements give out better rewards, and quests that have a continuing storyline are usually good towards the end with the amount of loot.

At the rate I'm going however I feel it's going to take me 100+ hours before I get the platinum in this game. I can cut off a lot of that time by time skipping but I am not comfortable with encountering future problems that the game might have. Fallout Shelter is a very slow monotone game, which is the price you pay for a mobile game that is free.

One potential issue I might have is getting 50 Raider encounters. I have 28 encounters so far but it's probably better that I save that trophy for last.

What do you guys think? Should I just spend the next month or two gradually building my vault or use time skip/microtransactions?

I'm not done yet, but this is what I suggest:

-upgrade the quest room and always have max quests going. 

-don't get any more people in your vault until you get the raider attacks. I think this means keeping your vault down to 30 people. I don't recommend waiting for the end for this trophy. 

-keep your guys in the stats rooms as they give the most money.

-Hoard the nuka-cola. Don't worry about crafting anything.

What I did was, after the raider attacks, I kept everyone that wasn't in a necessary room to the SPECIAL rooms and I started having a ton of babies while still doing quests and achievements. You shouldn't be having trouble killing the attackers, but if you are I would scale back the population growth and make sure everyone has the best gear. Once you can start getting the best rooms, start replacing the electricity room for the highest tier and the water/food rooms for the nuka-cola plants. 

What I'm doing is having everyone train as I slowly build out my vault, but I'm not going for speed necessarily. After you get 100 dwellers, you can basically get to be self-sustaining and let the nuka-cola people slowly level up as you finish the other requirements. The radio station isn't worth getting dwellers until you have two level 10 charisma people there. I don't find the crafting rooms to be too useful at this point or moving forward. My trouble is that I have a lot of low level but high stat people, but I'm also not struggling to kill anything so I wouldn't let that deter you.

58 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I only just discovered that crafting rooms (Weapon Crafting, Outfit Crafting and Theme Crafting) level up your dwellers faster, while rooms that focus on stats don't give you any XP and other rooms only give the standard rate of XP. I have a level 28 dweller that I got from scratch when I started, can anyone tell me is it worth putting that dweller in a crafting room to get to level 50?

Sending dwellers out into the wasteland is probably the easiest and fastest way to level them up since they'll gain levels even when you're not playing.  It's slower than the regular rooms, so not the best option if you're actively playing, but a good choice when you're not.  I also read that the crafting rooms level up faster than other rooms, but personally, I could never notice any difference.

I haven't come across any Deathclaw encounters but I figure they are the worst, with Scorpions being rather annoying. One strategy that may prove effective is to place two high level dwellers in the Vault Room and rooms adjacent with legendary weapons and outfits. I haven't tested this against Raiders or Feral Ghouls but I usually do okay in killing them.

Deathlclaws aren't that bad.  Personally, I think the radscorpions are more annoying, since they can appear anywhere (like in a two person training room with two poorly equipped lvl 1s in it) and steal power until killed.  The deathclaws always enter through the door, so just make sure you have some good weapons on your dwellers near the top of your shelter (the first 2-3 levels).  And be ready to use stimpaks, especially if you have some lower lvl people up there, as they have fewer HP.

What do you guys think? Should I just spend the next month or two gradually building my vault or use time skip/microtransactions?

It's up to you.  I did the game without using either.  I think the microtransactions aren't really worth it.  And waiting works fine for the long quests and crafting legendary weapons and armor.

One thing I should add (edited in):  If you do plan to go with no time skips you'll really want to train up some teams of 6 to max in each stat (for example 6 people with 10 STR, 6 people with 10 PER, etc.) in order to craft the legendary stuff in a reasonable time.  By the end of it, I think I had a team like this for each stat except for Luck.  If you're going to time skip, then this doesn't matter.

Edited by dmland12

3 hours ago, Kittet3 said:

-upgrade the quest room and always have max quests going.

This is probably one of the best choices you can make. More quests means you can gain more loot in a given time.

3 hours ago, Kittet3 said:

-don't get any more people in your vault until you get the raider attacks. I think this means keeping your vault down to 30 people. I don't recommend waiting for the end for this trophy.

I'm not sure I follow you on this one.

I can evict everyone but the best dwellers so I can get more Raider attacks. However this means permanently kicking out anyone that you bothered to use to get them placed in training rooms and your power/food/water supply rooms. The only other way would be to make another vault.

I got too much invested to just kick most of my people out.

2 hours ago, dmland12 said:

Sending dwellers out into the wasteland is probably the easiest and fastest way to level them up since they'll gain levels even when you're not playing.  It's slower than the regular rooms, so not the best option if you're actively playing, but a good choice when you're not.  I also read that the crafting rooms level up faster than other rooms, but personally, I could never notice any difference.

I only just discovered this the other day because I thought that you could accidentally evict your dwellers.

Deathlclaws aren't that bad.  Personally, I think the radscorpions are more annoying, since they can appear anywhere (like in a two person training room with two poorly equipped lvl 1s in it) and steal power until killed.  The deathclaws always enter through the door, so just make sure you have some good weapons on your dwellers near the top of your shelter (the first 2-3 levels).  And be ready to use stimpaks, especially if you have some lower lvl people up there, as they have fewer HP.

Deathclaws drain a lot of health but Radscorpions have the nasty ability to poison your dwellers so you have to use RadAway.

Also just had my first Deathclaw encounter, which was easily dealt with thanks to some level 30 - 40 dwellers pitching in.

It's up to you.  I did the game without using either.  I think the microtransactions aren't really worth it.  And waiting works fine for the long quests and crafting legendary weapons and armor.

One thing I should add (edited in):  If you do plan to go with no time skips you'll really want to train up some teams of 6 to max in each stat (for example 6 people with 10 STR, 6 people with 10 PER, etc.) in order to craft the legendary stuff in a reasonable time.  By the end of it, I think I had a team like this for each stat except for Luck.  If you're going to time skip, then this doesn't matter.

Doing this legit without any time skips or microtransactions can take a number of weeks. A lot of mobile games I played you have to wait for things to happen and Fallout Shelter is no exception.

Someone who is financially rich and buys the x1000 Nuka Cola deal in the store can significantly cut down the time, by getting to quests immediately to crafting all the weapons, outfits and themes available. To me it's just a big waste of money, there are much better things you can buy for $100 than for something in this game that ultimately amounts to nothing.

I bought a few microtransactions only to realize it's not worth it. Lunchboxes are a crapshoot, this game's lootboxes which can contain resources to a slim chance of getting a legendary dweller.

I may test around with some things, but thanks for the response.

Edited by Spaz

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

Despite my issues with mobile games in general I am starting to get into Fallout Shelter.

I have 62 dwellers currently in my vault (Vault 187) with around 10k bottle caps and 100 nuka colas.

The rooms I have to build left are the higher tier rooms that give a higher outfit of power, food and water. Building all the rooms is required for a trophy and to get that I need 100 dwellers. Right now I think babies are the best way to increase the dweller count but with that increase comes the increased risk of having Deathclaw encounters. When the children grow into adults after a few hours they usually have all very low stats, and dwellers at level 1 do not last long against enemy encounters. Should I focus on giving birth to more babies or try my luck in the radio station to get potential dwellers?

The few times I managed to get a dweller from the wasteland to the vault I have found that they have better stats. Lunchboxes are a complete crapshoot and are a waste of money in my opinion, although a few that I bought have given me legendary dwellers who are maxed out in some stats.

Quests are in my view the best thing about Fallout Shelter, and I have slowly been increasing my nuka cola count by completing quests. Bottle and Cappy rarely give out nuka cola bottles and therefore I don't think they're worth the effort. For the past few days I have sent out my best dwellers on quests that usually take a few hours to reach their destinations, and I go AFK and do something else. Quests with higher level requirements give out better rewards, and quests that have a continuing storyline are usually good towards the end with the amount of loot.

At the rate I'm going however I feel it's going to take me 100+ hours before I get the platinum in this game. I can cut off a lot of that time by time skipping but I am not comfortable with encountering future problems that the game might have. Fallout Shelter is a very slow monotone game, which is the price you pay for a mobile game that is free.

One potential issue I might have is getting 50 Raider encounters. I have 28 encounters so far but it's probably better that I save that trophy for last.

Crafting rooms will give you double xp, but only if you're crafting something. Since most higher level things can take days to weeks, its generally worth loading the room up (6 people in a 3 segment room) while crafting, but make sure their dominant SPECIAL stat is the stat used for that particular craftable so they can take advantage of the xp boost.

Sending settlers out into the wasteland can risk killing them depending how long they're unattended.

As for raiders, I stayed at like 30 settlers until my raiders were done, but still had plenty more raider attacks after that as I grew my population 

Edited by AJ_-_808

• 2 weeks later...