Greatest Disappointment of the Year 2018!

ARIXANDRE

Telltale shutting down definitely, Tales from the Borderlands was one of the funniest games I ever played, I don't even care about the Borderlands series, so when they announced the tales game, I had no interest in it, but it turned out to be a huge surprise, loved that game. And I would have liked to see a 2nd season for Wolf among us.

Darksiders 3. I guess I should have seen it coming, still, it is a series I had fun with, so I had some hopes that they could pull it off.

Maybe also Bethesda, while I am not a fan of them, watching the fiasco with Fallout 76 and everything that followed was quite something, and it's still going ?

Well.

Here goes.

God of War.

I mean I kinda knew what I was going into, and I managed to push through the story, because... story, okay, cinematic presentation much camerawork so setpieces, but now going back to clean up the collectibles, it's painfully obvious how limiting and aggravating the whole thing is, backtracking is not fun, traversing is not fun, combat is absolutely hellish compared to... annnnything, really.

I don't say that I didn't expect the change of pace, but I'm far from impressed beyond the big budget spectacle. I'm disappointed by the media praising it as some kind of revolutionary game, I'm disappointed by the gamers who accept such a mediocre game just because there's a big budget emotional rollercoaster attached to it. I'm absolutely appalled, especially when compared to Spider-Man, which absolutely nails combat and pacing of gameplay.

Now for Fallout 76, that's not a disappointment, that was an inevitable train crash, extremely fun to watch how it unfolded in the media.

• Like 1

Games have pretty much been what I expected this year, and I haven't really played too many new releases. However, one game that I was really hyped for, but didn't quite deliver as I wanted, was Dragon Quest XI. It looks great. The story, localization, and the likes are fun. But when it gets down to it, this is the most primitive Dragon Quest game I've played since the Dragon Warrior II. No classes? Give me a break already. The minigames are a drag; that horse race is just abysmal, and the target shooting is less than stellar. Item creation is the worst it's ever been; all of that hammering stuff is for the birds, and it's particularly disappointing given how easy and fun the alchemy pot of DQVIII was. And the world seems mighty small, even in comparison with much earlier titles.

Compare this, e.g., with DQVII, which has oodles of classes, tons of extra content that was accessible prior to the postgame (the monster zoo remains one of my favorites), while still retaining the DQ charm. Or DQVIII, with its arena and its weapon perks. Or even DQIII, with its class change system.

I'll definitely finish the game, but I'm in no rush to do so. A good game, but hardly the great one that so many think it is.

Definitely Sony's idiotic censorship policy. Also, Fallout 76. What were they thinking??? Actually never mind... they were thinking cash grab. 

On 12/4/2018 at 8:47 AM, NanaCheese94 said:

I'm never really with the gaming trends, because I think games are way too expensive at launch. So the only preorder I did was Far Cry 5 which I was very exited for.

In the end, I wasn't terribly disappointed in the game itself, but it was sad that they didn't do much with the story and the characters, there was a lot of potential that went unused.
The DLC could've been so much more than just stories that felt unconnected to the main game

Are you talking the 59.99? Or all those extra packages that make it 79, 89, 99 and so on. Cause personally I think we're lucky that base games go for 60 bucks. Who knows how long that will last. Some games already lock sections that force you to get DLC if you want them. 

3 hours ago, fbdbh said:

Well.

Here goes.

God of War.

I mean I kinda knew what I was going into, and I managed to push through the story, because... story, okay, cinematic presentation much camerawork so setpieces, but now going back to clean up the collectibles, it's painfully obvious how limiting and aggravating the whole thing is, backtracking is not fun, traversing is not fun, combat is absolutely hellish compared to... annnnything, really.

I don't say that I didn't expect the change of pace, but I'm far from impressed beyond the big budget spectacle. I'm disappointed by the media praising it as some kind of revolutionary game, I'm disappointed by the gamers who accept such a mediocre game just because there's a big budget emotional rollercoaster attached to it. I'm absolutely appalled, especially when compared to Spider-Man, which absolutely nails combat and pacing of gameplay.

Now for Fallout 76, that's not a disappointment, that was an inevitable train crash, extremely fun to watch how it unfolded in the media.

To each his own, but i found the game one of the pleasant surprises this year, maybe GotY for me . Especially the way they told the story and the humor of the troublesome relationship between father and son. I sucked at history classes, but i gobled the scandanavian lore up and i asked for seconds :) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rolltideroll157 said:

Sad attempt at trolling. This is why the forums on this site have turned into garbage because everyone just tries to piss people off and if you actually think all these masterpieces are trash then you're an idiot but I know what you're trying to do just go on somewhere else with that shit.

What the hell  does that even mean?

Can we please stop spamming the word trolling   whenever we  see something we don't like?  To you, they may be "masterpieces", to me no. The thread itself asks  for subjective opinions, where  have I stated something false? Fallout 76 and Battlefield 5 (yeah I missclicked, that surely means I'm a troll right? Go take your medications) are a commercial failure, rdr2 online betas have exaggerated prices, I didn't like  how in DQ11 you could not form a monster party  like in DQ8 and preferred DQ8's characters and consider it a stepback from DQ' 9's classes,   I preferred the previous God Of War's combat   and yeah I stand from what I said about the new Spiderman and the let's go games shits on the competitive side of the game. Let's hear it,  what's my plan? What am I trying to do?  I'm some Microsoft employee  shitting on Nintendo and Sony's exclusives so that people who visit this forum will go  to Xbox next gen? Lmao, you're delusional.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh
  • Like 2

1. Sony's censorship policy. And, it really hurts because ps4 is more or less my new favorite platform.

2. The price on the Atelier Arland games that dropped yesterday, them being ports of the games from ps3. $40 separately and $90 with the bundle? Koei, if you wanted to tell us to go fuck ourselves, you could have just came out and said it. Or included a middle finger in one of the screenshots. No sense beating around the bush.

3. PlayStation classic. I vehemently hate any and all mini-consoles. It's the reason a lot of older games never get ported. The companies see people are stupid enough to buy into this crap. Plus, the library didn't even look that good compared to some of the other mini consoles.

Other than that, I'd say I've been pretty satisfied.

Edited by Hero_of_Time_507

4 minutes ago, Hero_of_Time_507 said:

2. The price on the Atelier Arland games that dropped yesterday, them being ports of the games from ps3. $40 separately and $90 with the bundle? Koei, if you wanted to tell us to go fuck ourselves, you could have just came out and said it. Or included a middle finger in one of the screenshots. No sense beating around the bush.

Wow. I didn't see that. That's really, really expensive.

Just now, starcrunch061 said:

Yeah, I've been tracking them pretty much constantly (or yesterday I was. They didn't even post the collection until later on in the day, yet the individual games were each posted when I had woken up that morning), and that's just unacceptable. I mean, the only difference is they come with all previous dlc. That's not $90 or $120 worth. I hope they either get so few purchases that they lower the prices or they go on sale for the holidays. Knowing how it goes, probably the former and probably after a couple of months at the earliest...

Just now, Hero_of_Time_507 said:

Yeah, I've been tracking them pretty much constantly (or yesterday I was. They didn't even post the collection until later on in the day, yet the individual games were each posted when I had woken up that morning), and that's just unacceptable. I mean, the only difference is they come with all previous dlc. That's not $90 or $120 worth. I hope they either get so few purchases that they lower the prices or they go on sale for the holidays. Knowing how it goes, probably the former and probably after a couple of months at the earliest...

Well, I won't be buying them one way or the other. I do hope you get your wish, though Koei is notoriously bad for discounts (at least when it comes to their Warriors titles). 

19 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

The other guy calls them ports but the combat has been altered, endings changed, and they added most costumes/items. 

If I were you I'd read about the actual games from a non-biased source for the correct information before blindly latching on to someone that's upset.

1. Konami putting the Metal Gear franchise in stilletto pumps and a miniskirt, making it work the streetcorner (Metal Gear Survive)

2. No more free PS3/Vita games announced in Plus in 2019

3. All the server closings!!!

4. Battlefield,  one of my favorite franchises, goes SJW

5. Diablo, one of the most storied franchises in video games, announces after 6 years the new Diablo entry. FOR CELL PHONES?

6. Fallout 76 (nuff said)

7.  Conan Exiles becomes the absolute worst game I have ever preordered the collector's edition for.

Yeah, not the best year  for video games . . .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Compare this, e.g., with DQVII, which has oodles of classes, tons of extra content that was accessible prior to the postgame (the monster zoo remains one of my favorites), while still retaining the DQ charm. Or DQVIII, with its arena and its weapon perks. Or even DQIII, with its class change system.

Sounds a lot like Valkyria Chronicles 4 is to me. Game is possibly great for those who just came in after the first or were soured by Revolution. However every single added class and most of their customization from the portable games are nowhere to be found. I'm still interested in DQ XI when it launches for the Switch, but also glad I didn't jump in hyped only to find it streamlined. I don't expect every game to surpass the last, but it sure feels awesome when I can honestly say it does. Otherwise it just ends up as another game in the pile.

On topic: *joins Sony is the greatest disappointment crew*

The only disappointment of 2018 is the people who are upset about the Sony Censorship Policy. I'm neutral about this, but the Sony Censorship Policy isn't a big deal. All I see in this Sony Censorship policy is fear mongering and claims of not buying PlayStation games because of a fricken policy. Those who are against censorship should know that they're a small group of people and lots and lots of people will still buy Sony's games (I still support Sony and buy their games, even if they're from Japan). But getting their knickers in a twist because of a censorship policy is downright embarrassing.

• Like 3