Greatest Disappointment of the Year 2018!

ARIXANDRE

Oh yeah, totally forgot about this, don't even know why it happens or who is responsible (sony or the publishers), if it is a thing from before 2018 or not, but since I just got a ps4 this year and did not own a console for a long time, it was definitely disappointing to see that in EU, many games that cost 60 in the US cost 70 euros here, which is about 80 $...sigh

29 minutes ago, itachi-destroyer said:

I'd say Playstation's censorship policy. I'm really worried about Catherine : Full Body being censored/self-censored. Even the developpers said that they had to play around to not get the ban hammer by Playstation. The game is fine and is centered about adult's stories and problems so let it be uncensored and let mature players enjoy their game. 

Are you serious? You really think that Sony are going to shoot themselves in the leg by banning the sequel to Catherine? You think Sony hate money? Are you ok? Did you forget to take your meds? The most they are going to do is ask the devs to cut on some nudity.

50 minutes ago, itachi-destroyer said:

Second thing I'm disappointed is how this site turned. At the beginning of the year I had 0 members on my ignored users list and now I have more than 10 people on it. You can't even comment on a topic without being told that you're a troll, that your opinion is shit or without being insulted. This site is becoming like gamefaqs sometimes and I really wonder why people can't talk without being aggressive immediately, sure people can get worked up sometimes but I've never seen as much aggresivity on this site than in 2018. The welcoming aspect this site had when I first discovered it doesn't seem to be here anymore. Fortunately there are still some friendly people that I enjoy talking with but I wouldn't mind seeing a strictier moderation if people can't stop acting like keyboard warriors. 

Thank you! Someone actually says it! Not that i have an extensive history with it, though. Just what I noticed through browsing and seeing the comments made here in the last 24 hours.

1 hour ago, itachi-destroyer said:

Second thing I'm disappointed is how this site turned. At the beginning of the year I had 0 members on my ignored users list and now I have more than 10 people on it. You can't even comment on a topic without being told that you're a troll, that your opinion is shit or without being insulted.

<sigh>

Someone lobbing personal insults at you is wrong. It should be reported. Further, if the mods don't agree with your assessment, you can put them on ignore. 

Someone saying that your opinion is bullshit is not wrong. After all, you've put your opinion on a public site. Did you think it would escape scrutiny? But again, if you don't like the scrutiny from a particular poster, you can put them on ignore.

You have a bunch of people on your ignore list. I have a lot of people on my ignore list as well. This happens when a site grows, or when a poster attracts attention. Not everyone is your friend, and the more people you interact with, the more likely it is to engage someone you'd rather not. That's what the ignore list is for. 

But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Someone questioning, or even denigrating, your opinion is in no way equivalent to someone attacking your person. 

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Someone saying that your opinion is bullshit is not wrong. After all, you've put your opinion on a public site. Did you think it would escape scrutiny? 

I doubt he is worried about the fact that people disagree with him, rather about the manner people tend to disagree with you on this site. I have a bit of a rougher tone myself from time to time, but this forum does have some advanced manner problems that go beyond a simple occasional insult. On the last 2 sites alone we had people telling other users that they should take their medication, implying that they are nutcases, and don't get me started on that old goat that basically labeled someone who disagreed with him as a pedophile, that scumbag is now a permanent resident on my ignore list. The climate here is sometimes needlessly hostile is all i am saying, and it is understandable that some users are getting annoyed with it because it isn't only on the controversial topics either.

Regarding the censorship, it pissed me off too this year and people should do some research before they shoot the topic down. There aren't only the anime games affected by it, many games with brutal content are affected and also some with sexual content. Just yesterday I read an article about two censored games, one game was Agony, a game that is supposed to be a simulation of hell, being heavily censored and therefore leading to a lot of problems between the devs and the community. The other game was Conan Exiles, here they censored some of the nudity and took away the character creating sliders for several body parts. I am willing to claim that none of those could be called anime games.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nighcisama said:

I doubt he is worried about the fact that people disagree with him, rather about the manner people tend to disagree with you on this site. I have a bit of a rougher tone myself from time to time, but this forum does have some advanced manner problems that go beyond a simple occasional insult. On the last 2 sites alone we had people telling other users that they should take their medication, implying that they are nutcases, and don't get me started on that old goat that basically labeled someone who disagreed with him as a pedophile, that scumbag is now a permanent resident on my ignore list. The climate here is sometimes needlessly hostile is all i am saying, and it is understandable that some users are getting annoyed with it because it isn't only on the controversial topics either.

I can't argue with this. I've certainly had my share of weirdos follow me from thread to thread (one extreme case lobbed insults at me, across multiple threads, while claiming that in fact the toxicity of the entire site was my fault, a sort of, "The devil made me do it!" guy).

The problem with this is that everyone can claim that the site is toxic is we allow for toxicity to include the insult of opinions. That's why I really like the ignore list, rather than merely making more moderation rules. Yes, the site is, ummm, livelier than it's been in the past. But I still think the site is better than most, particularly for the low level of moderation given here. And I would hate for this site to devolve into the sort of insider elitist place that many other sites have, where long-time posters/contributors/etc. are given much more leeway to be "lively" than the rank-and-file poster.

But enough about this. I think my greatest disappointment now in 2018 is the fact that I pre-ordered Persona Dancing collection in August, and yet won't get my copy of it for another week because I forgot to update my card info after a breach. 

I have to go with Red Dead Redemption 2... I love realism in games, but they just went to far with it, and everything just moves soooo sloooowly.... I loved the first Redemption, and played it constantly back in the day, so I knew what I was going in to, but....it seems like they forgot that it was supposed to be entertaining in one way or the other...

Other than that, I might say God of War... Did NOT like the combat, it felt to repetetive, and most enemies were reskins, and it got old really fast, and found myself lowering the difficulty just to get through the fights a little faster....

7 hours ago, thefourfoldroot said:

It's also about why a game was the most disappointing, so the discussion is fair enough. You are right that I didn't specify a specific game though, so let's say omega labyrinth, given it wasn't even released in the west due to Sony's new censorship policy. 

I only visit the forums occasionally and I'm already burnt out on seeing the same 10 people complaining that they don't have their nipple bumps on PlayStation so I can only imagine how forum regulars feel who don't care about the topic. That said, you're basically the only person who actually even mentioned a game (even if it was after the fact to justify the post) so I'll give you credit there. Most of the others didn't even do this when the post specifically asks what the most disappointing game of 2018 was. xD Not surprising that somebody would give 'em grief.

OT: My pick would probably be Red Dead Redemption 2. It's worth noting that I didn't play a ton of the game but from the little bit I did play I could immediately tell it wouldn't be for me. It's definitely an impressive game between the visuals and the sheer amount of stuff within the game but the way it feels rubbed me the wrong way which is a bummer as I was hoping this would be the first R* game I'd get in to since San Andreas.

3 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I'm with you there, bro, although Square would probably find a way to charge $39.99 for it, which will likely make it the greatest disappointment of 20XX.

To tide you over, here is the greatest overworld music in an RPG ever:

I'd like to give you more than 1 like bro this moment.

I add Eyes on me on that Laguna dream as well <3 

Edited by X_Wizi_X
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

You seemed angry in your original post, Most of us who bought Battlefield 5 where aware that it was incomplete before buying it. I don't think people would think this about Spider-man at all, Not everyone liked it and I am one of those people. Anyway the post was sure to get some backlash and it's not the end of the world. Let's all take medication.

I don't require medications.  This thread asks for subjective opinions, if one cannot check his/her victim complex  and resorts to call others troll or even going as far as saying I have some kind of agenda for not liking these "masterpieces" like him/herself then yeah, you need to be checked, no amount of fishing for easy likes  or liking every game that gets released can heal you from that 

Edited by scemopagliaccioh
  • Like 3

One of the lowest points was when people made a petition to change the Mein Leben trophy for a much easier platinum. Was also kinda disappointed in FF9 jump rope trophy cheaters. As for disappointing game, probably Agony. Didn't even buy it. It just came out looking overwhelmingly shit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

But enough about this. I think my greatest disappointment now in 2018 is the fact that I pre-ordered Persona Dancing collection in August, and yet won't get my copy of it for another week because I forgot to update my card info after a breach. 

I have been lurking on this topic since the beginning, and I kept trying to think of a 2018 game that disappointed me. I couldn't think of any, because I mostly played older games, and I also tend to not get massively disappointed by the games I play. But your mention of Persona Dancing collection reminded me that I did consider that a disappointment. I don't prefer physical games, but Persona is one of the rare series where I take the plunge on physical collector's editions. I was disappointed that I don't have a good option for that. I am not comfortable importing games, and if a game like this exists on Vita, there is no way I'd ever play it on PS4 (and of course the Vita version is cheaper). So I'm stuck with the digital versions. I haven't convinced myself to pull the trigger on them yet. To be fair, the digital collection on Vita does come with two (count 'em, TWO) of the dozens of DLC packs. So it has a minimal bonus with it, which is more than no bonus. So yeah, I'll call that my disappointment of the year I guess. I unfortunately missed the Collector's Edition of Persona 4 Golden (that game was my entry point to the series), but I did get the P5, P4D, P4A:U, and Persona Q Collector's Editions. If there was a Switch or Vita remaster of P3, I'd probably get a Collector's Edition of that even if I'd probably never replay that game.

I am surprised to see several people mention RDR2 though. I should note that I don't care about RDR Online at all, so that doesn't factor into my opinion, but the singleplayer game? It's everything I wanted and expected it to be, and then some. I certainly don't like every popular game though - I have no interest in God of War for example. But to me, RDR2 was definitely worth the wait.

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 2