Keen for a game of gwent?

Burgins

Sure, it is nice to see a platinum trophy in a free game, but I worry how many of these trophies will be HUGE grinds because of the F2P model implemented.  I don't know how they have chosen to handle it, but I am a bit cynical given the gaming industries history.  That said, CD Projekt earns some respect for what they did with Witcher 3, so I do have a little bit of hope.  I just added it to my list and will be checking it out for sure.

• Like 2

Most of them are straight forward, but there are quite a few that seem pretty difficult if not boostable, such as, win without any gold cards in your deck. I've sunk a few hundred hours in the beta, so I wonder if anything from that will automatically unlock some trophies for me. I do know that cards will be fully millable for a limited time since the Homecoming update makes some significant changes. 

2 minutes ago, Gefro-On-Defro said:

What’s the difference between this and thronebreaker? I was well confused thought they were the same game. Like why release two Witcher card games at the same time?

Thronebreaker is a story DLC for Gwent with cutscenes whereas the actual Gwent game is just the card game that you play against other people or AI. Gwent is also F2P while Thronebreaker costs $40.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gefro-On-Defro said:

What’s the difference between this and thronebreaker? I was well confused thought they were the same game. Like why release two Witcher card games at the same time?

Not to be too simplistic, but they're just different games.  Throne breaker is a single-player adventure, with mobility and loot and things, that uses cards as a battle system (from what I understand), and this Gwent game is a straight-up card game, with no other gaming elements, as it was in the Witcher 3.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

Thronebreaker is a story DLC for Gwent with cutscenes whereas the actual Gwent game is just the card game that you play against other people or AI. Gwent is also F2P while Thronebreaker costs $40.

That's not true anymore and hasn't been for a while, at least since August this year.

It stopped being an intended piece of story-campaign DLC during it's development cycle and rapidly turned into an actual full 30 hour standalone RPG set in the Witcher universe which mixes top down traversal gameplay and Gwent mechanics and with a dedicated development and art team.

To clarify your comparison, as it seems to have been made at the detriment of Thronebreaker:

• Gwent is F2P intentionally by design because it supports itself with a microtransaction system. It was built with this in mind.
  • Thronebreaker costs money intentionally by design because it required a development team, cycle and resources akin to a full standalone title. It's price point is also not that of what you'd call a AAA game, even though the quality of it is on par.

29 minutes ago, Gefro-On-Defro said:

Neither games detract from each other by being what they are. But to say Gwent is the same as Thronebreaker, is to say that Gwent is the same as The Witcher 3. It doesn't work.

They are all different games with some commonalities specific to the universe they are set in.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

That's not true anymore and hasn't been for a while, at least since August this year.

It stopped being an intended piece of story-campaign DLC during it's development cycle and rapidly turned into an actual full 30 hour standalone RPG set in the Witcher universe which mixes top down traversal gameplay and Gwent mechanics and with a dedicated development and art team.

To clarify your comparison, as it seems to have been made at the detriment of Thronebreaker:

• Gwent is F2P intentionally by design because it supports itself with a microtransaction system. It was built with this in mind.
  • Thronebreaker costs money intentionally by design because it required a development team, cycle and resources akin to a full standalone title. It's price point is also not that of what you'd call a AAA game, even though the quality of it is on par.

Neither games detract from each other by being what they are. But to say Gwent is the same as Thronebreaker, is to say that Gwent is the same as The Witcher 3. It doesn't work.

They are all different games with some commonalities specific to the universe they are set in.

How is a card collection amassed in Gwent?  Are micro payments required to get a good stack, or are there other ways to earn top cards?

14 minutes ago, IntroPhenom said:

How is a card collection amassed in Gwent?  Are micro payments required to get a good stack, or are there other ways to earn top cards?

You earn kegs (random cards) and scraps (used for crafting cards). It's pretty f2p friendly, I've been playing for a long time now but I've also had enough resources for a full collection for a long time too. Only ever bought a £4 starter pack way back when. 

4 minutes ago, BENJAM1N_LINUS said:

So is gwent out of beta then? Or has it already been? The f2p fwent you can download right now can start earning trophies now?

Yes this marks the end of beta (Homecoming release) for all platforms. I just popped the trophy for completing the tutorial.

• Like 1

Word of warning if you're a newcomer considering picking it up: Everyone and their mother coming from the beta has a full collection. Moreover the starter decks are a barely coherent mess of random cards, and matchmaking preferences are basically non-existent after a few matches. Also you can't dust your starter cards to make a semi-decent deck to start off with, and you'll be cross-playing with PC players who have had an 1,5 month long head start to figure out the meta. You'll get your face stomped into the ground a lot before you manage to scrounge up a few cards and things get better.

Seems all my cards from the beta have been automatically scrapped, leaving me with 143,200 scraps. Golds seem a lot easier to earn in kegs now, although not as powerful as they used to be. Trophies didn't auto pop for me after completing the tutorial (ex. I'm level 48, but didn't get the trophy for hitting level 15). 

Also, I recommend GwentDB for anyone new to the game because it can give you a good idea about the meta and strategies. However, be careful not to become overly reliant on netdecking.

Edit: GwentDB no longer provides the information I mentioned. I'll provide another viable site if I ever come across one.

Edited by ObliviousSenpai
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NamoPh said:

Word of warning if you're a newcomer considering picking it up: Everyone and their mother coming from the beta has a full collection. Moreover the starter decks are a barely coherent mess of random cards, and matchmaking preferences are basically non-existent after a few matches. Also you can't dust your starter cards to make a semi-decent deck to start off with, and you'll be cross-playing with PC players who have had an 1,5 month long head start to figure out the meta. You'll get your face stomped into the ground a lot before you manage to scrounge up a few cards and things get better.

Is this MP only?

Can someone confirm that the "deal with the devil"- Trophy (play an arena game) unlocks after my arena run is finished?

Cause im 6-0 currently, enough to allready unlock the last gold trophy for a 6 wins arena run, but im a bit scared that the trophy mentioned first

is not unlocking properly and that could be the case for the gold trophy too. Can someone test it out quickly?

1 hour ago, Cleggworth said:

Is this MP only?

Yes, it just came out of a 2 year old beta, after a total scrapping of its old mechanics and complete redesign.

47 minutes ago, Ryumoau said:

Is it possible to get all the trophies for Gwent just playing single player against the AI?

By my count there are 25 trophies that are impossible to unlock against the AI, assuming even the rest unlock from that. The game only has a single match practice mode that does not award you experience or resources that you'd need for several of the trophies. Boosting in private matches would not award any resources either.

I think there are bugged trophies at this point. I finished my arena run with 9-1 and got the bronze-trophy for the finished run and the golden one for a run with at least 6 wins.

So far so good. But the bronze-trophy for playing an arena match is still locked. Same goes for a 3-win streak in "any multiplayer mode" (There are only 2, arena is one of them).

I lost my first game after 6 straight wins and should have unlocked it at this point, or am i reading something wrong?

even more:

-Trophy for changing the leader skin, avatar, border and title did not unlock yet, while i did the things a few times allready.

-play an online match, much like the arena trophy.

- destroy 4 units with a single card also did not pop up

more to come i guess =(

- Got a draw recently and the goldtrophy did not pop up too... Hopefully they are gona fix this really quick..

Edited by OWALegend

14 minutes ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

Yeah, I earned the All In trophy (fully deplete your deck) after playing my first card in a match.

Also, I can confirm that the level trophies will pop for beta players that have reached the required levels after levelling up one more time.

Is it possible to do the invite feature and get trophies? I was told no, but just wanted to confirm with another who seems to know his stuff with this game.