What was BAD about the PS3? (Plat Cast Topic)

Bushido7745785

Hey all! 

@ChernobylNinja and I run a PlayStation podcast titled, "Plat Cast", where we often read and reply to community answers to questions that we post here in the forums! 

This week we're asking, "What was BAD about the PS3 system?". 

It can be anything related to the system, how it ran, hardware, peripherals that weren't up to par, etc. 

Let us know and we might read your answers in the next episode! 

Thanks, and as always, we look forward to your replies! ?

• Like 1

• Load times and the slow XMB
  • Lack of memory
  • Launch PS3 had a tiny hard drive
  • Six Axis Motion Controls
  • No games until MGS4
  • Overpriced (but hey it included a blu ray player!)
  • YLOD and disk reading issues
  • Slow downloading off PSN
  • No party chat while it was a thing on Xbox
  • Long installs, GTAV took quite a while
  • PS Home wasn't great, they could have improved it but instead got rid of it
  • Custom firmware meant that people could hack multiplayer
  • Disabled Linux functionality which made people hack in the first place
  • Move controllers were more of a gimmick than the Wii
  • Multiplats were generally the worst unless the PS3 was the lead platform
  • Remote play didn't work with all the games
  • No way of taking screenshots outside of some games photo mode
  • That time PSN went down and credit card info was stored on a text file
  • Online passes for certain games
Edited by xh117
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, TheLakota said:

By far the worst thing about PS3 is the severely-aged, nigh-unnavigable PSN and atrocious DL times.

This was the biggest one for me as a fan.

Also, Sony's insistence on going with the Cell processor, effectively making the system a pain to develop for, did it no favors. 

The interface for the PlayStation store on PS3 has always been terrible. Its extremely slow and tries to run a full search after each individual letter you input using the search function. 

Also, while PS4 has some offenders, PS3 had some of the worst trophy lists for games especially during the infancy of the feature. This was the era where every game needed a multiplayer and every multiplayer required trophies. Many of these trophy sets are on now dead servers or vacant and antiquated servers rendering the trophies impossible to obtain.

• Like 1

• £425.99 Price tag on Release
  • Slow system overall with load-times crippling the experience 
  • Poorly optimised remoteplay 
  • Small hard drive options
  • THOSE DAMN INSTALL TIMES
  • crappy controller gives you damn cramps 
  • Games did not really take off for the first couple years due to poor selection
  • Games costing more on PlayStation 3 than Xbox 360 XB release was £44.99 and PS3 games cost between £49.99 - £54.99 pending on what you bought (exclusive vs non-exclusive)
  •  annoying architecture leading to slower releases on PS3 vs Xbox 360

• The install times.
  • Once you are in a game, most of the other settings are locked so you would have to quit game to access settings etc.
  • The amount of games with awful multiplayer with even worse online trophies.
  • The controller compared to DS4 is awful and very small in hands.
  • 100 friend limit.
  • The amount of hacked trophies.
  • Like 1

• The PS3's architecture, which was so hard to develop for, many games didn't look all that good on it, especially multiplats. The weaker RAM also didn't do it any favors.
  • The slow-ass PS Store.
  • The speed with which it lost backwards compatibility, which is still sorely missing to this day.

Slow and clunky. Everything moved...so...so...so...slowly there. Store was slow. Trophy synch was slow. Cloud saving was slow. 

Also, no game library. What a drag it is to search through your stupid download list. And as if that wasn't bad enough, every time your PS+ renewed, all of your PS+ games were assumed to have downloaded on the date of renewal.

In my experience the worst thing about the PS3 was the hardware of the initial versions (PS3 FAT), it was very expensive, too heavy, thristy for electric energy as nothing in the house at the time, overheated often, had a bug with the internal clock not present on the slim versions (error 8001050F) and finally the YLOD that eventually made me stop using it. The slim version was better than the original in every aspect for me.

Edited by eduardohrks

Two things off of the top of my head:

• Only one account could be used (on the Xbox 360 two players were able to have their progress saved)
  • I'm not sure whether another console did it first, but for me the PS3 was the first console that didn't allow users to change a game's language other than by changing to system language - which probably wouldn't have been too bad if language patches had been available
  • I would have liked the option to change the volume not for each game seperately but once and for all

That being said, I had a great time with the PS3 and apparently I can't think of any huge flaws (that affected me).

The thing that bugged me about the PS3 was how games sometimes ran worse on PS3 than they did on 360. The PS3 is obviously more powerful so you'd think games would perform better but I understand the cell processor was difficult for developers to make games for. I think that's why I'm so nit picky about framerate in games today because it was rare that a game would run at a constant 30 FPS on the PS3. I remember Mafia II had no grass or clothes physics because apparently the game would not run smoothly with them implemented so they took them out in the PS3 version. 

removing backwards compatibility, and not giving everyone the 4 USBs even though the hardware was always capable. overheating was another.

lots of these other issues mentioned are only hindsight when comparing to the PS4 and I wouldn't say they were bad things at the time.

5 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Also, no game library. What a drag it is to search through your stupid download list. And as if that wasn't bad enough, every time your PS+ renewed, all of your PS+ games were assumed to have downloaded on the date of renewal.

These things are still a problem, and not related to the PS3, just Sony's lack of appetite to fix or give us filtering on the webstore.

• Like 1

PS home going down permanently. (I miss that app, still haven't deleted it, though I do have 100% for it).

Controllers being plastic and a bit brittle (To be fair xbox controllers did need batteries) 

PS store being slow and prone to crashes

Browser being a tad bit slow.

YLOD (I have a slim from 2012 and it is still going stronk into 2019, proud of it) (to be fair Xbox did have the ring of death).

Removing backward compatibility with PS1 physical copies.

100 friends limit

Edited by wackt1