What was BAD about the PS3? (Plat Cast Topic)

Bushido7745785

Online passes were so dumb and extremely anti-consumer. Hated buying a used game for single player to find out they put one measly little multiplayer trophy in the game so I'd then have to pay another £10-£15 just to essentially log in or play one match to pop the trophy. So glad they died out fairly quickly.

• Like 2

The xmb loading times. Looking at my 200+ title trophy log is a chore

No voice chat open regardless of game activity

Downloading takes a lot of time but installing the game afterwards is really the big issue

No search and filter in the download menu. And the games aren't in order of last bought or in alphabetical order

Having to manually install background downloads that also required double the HDD space, and how they’d take forever if you were trying to download and install at the same time. It was always annoying, but when my original HDD failed it was excruciating refilling up my replacement all at once.

Edited by aprinaut

The chat system. It became pointless over time, and having to switch from playing your game to typing messages to your friends during a party was garbage. That's why people now go on discord.

Most games became copyright protected, and that you couldn't back up any saves to the cloud if you didn't have a USB lying around the house somewhere.

How they changed the PSN store from having to type the game's name (much easier), to this scroll-down-highlight-the-letter-and-press-the-x-button-to select-the-letter bullshit.

2 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I can pull up an alphabetical listing of all of my games on the PS4. I can't do it on the PS3. It's absolutely a problem on the PS3.

Yes, but my point is that you didn't consider it an issue until it was a feature on a newer product. 

I may be misreading the OP's intention but I thought they wanted topics about issues with the PS3, and not "whats better on the PS4".

1 minute ago, audiopile said:

Yes, but my point is that you didn't consider it an issue until it was a feature on a newer product. 

That is incorrect. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I can't tell you the number of times, as I sorted through my downloads, that I wondered why PS3 didn't bother to give some way of ordering these things. It made PS+ titles such a bear to find.

Now, if you want to say that the Vita did the same thing, so this isn't relegated exclusively to the PS3, well, that's true. But this was absolutely a problem that I diagnosed (and railed against) long before the PS4 was a gleam in Sony's eye. 

Got my PS3 a bit late on its life cycle so most of the initial complaints didn't affect me much. I'd say my main issues with it now are:

- How excruciatingly slow it is to do anything due to the low amount of RAM on the system. The XMB is great, style-wise but the machine itself is pretty slow on any task you set it out to do, whether it is copying games, files, syncing trophies, loading the XMB within a game, anything that requires the system to allocate memory moves way too slow.

- The PSN store interface. Admittedly, I don't use it that much but out of the few times I have entered there, navigating and sorting content out is just a pain. I remember one of the earlier version of the store being better but they honestly crapped it out at one point with an update.

Other than that, I'm pretty satisfied with my console. Also, it didn't affect me at first since I wasn't an early buyer but it is something that needs to be mentioned. Its initial launch cost was just ridiculous.

ps3-pricing.jpg

Never do that again Sony, like seriously >.>

Thanks gang! This is easily my favorite part of each episode, which is just sitting down and discussing what you all have posted! 

Really good answers this time around, LOTS of stuff I didn't know about the system since I jumped in about half-way through the PS3's life cycle.

You guys are the best! Keep doing what you're doing! :) 

• Like 1

Only two things stand out. 

1) only one account log in meant that games like Resi5 were ruined, plus it meant rarely could the second player get trophies! 

2) less seriously, the inability to save "inverted Y Axis" to system settings like I could on 360. 

Edit: woops, guess I'm too late! 

Edited by thefourfoldroot