Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alternatewarning

P3/5D "Day One" Edition - worth it?

14 posts in this topic

I know I'll be picking up these games at some point, but typically I wait for things to go on sale.  I was wondering, though, is the Day One edition worth it?  I'd be getting them for vita and I was looking at the bundled day one.  If it's not worth it then I'll wait for a sale but that will probably be many, many months away

If it's the same length as Persona 4 Dancing All Night then no it isn't, being able to beat a game in 5-10 hours is not worth £80.

2 minutes ago, LucianaRosethorn said:

If it's the same length as Persona 4 Dancing All Night then no it isn't, being able to beat a game in 5-10 hours is not worth £80.

It's less than that for each game when doing the math for either bundle though. P4 DAN on Vita lasted me months regardless of how long the campaign officially was.

Have fun figuring out that universal fun/dollar ratio for others. 

You get Akechi for P5 and Aragaki for P3 as well as P4 Dancing All Night. Only you can decide if you think that's worth it.

Math stuff to help you better determine if it's worth it:

The "Day One Editions" for P3D and P5D on PSN are $40 individually. So the Day One Editions on PSN are already 33% cheaper than the standard editions ($60 each) on PSN, plus they have bonus content.

Further, we can use the Vita P4D to estimate pricing trends. Using this site for price trends, you can see that it took over a year for the original price of P4D to have a permanent price decrease from $50 to $40 (20% decrease), and then over another year to permanently drop to $25 (50% decrease), though it did have a few decent sales within the first year. So, if the same trend occurs for these games, you'd have to wait almost 2.5 years to see a constant lower price than what is currently offered through the Day One Editions; if you're really good at keeping up with sales, you might find them at better than a 33% discount earlier than that, but you'll be sacrificing the bonus content.

Edited by eigen-space

5 minutes ago, eigen-space said:

Math stuff to help you better determine if it's worth it:

The "Day One Editions" for P3D and P5D on PSN are $40 individually. So the Day One Editions on PSN are already 33% cheaper than the standard editions ($60 each) on PSN, plus they have bonus content.

Further, we can use the Vita P4D to estimate pricing trends. Using this site for price trends, you can see that it took over a year for the original price of P4D to have a permanent price decrease from $50 to $40 (20% decrease), and then over another year to permanently drop to $25 (50% decrease), though it did have a few decent sales within the first year. So, if the same trend occurs for these games, you'd have to wait almost 2.5 years to see a constant lower price than what is currently offered through the Day One Editions; if you're really good at keeping up with sales, you might find them at better than a 33% discount earlier than that, but you'll be sacrificing the bonus content.

That is an incredibly helpful answer.  I do tend to really keep track of sales however, I really don't want to wait that long.  Thank you a whole lot. 

Just now, Alternatewarning said:

That is an incredibly helpful answer.  I do tend to really keep track of sales however, I really don't want to wait that long.  Thank you a whole lot. 

No problem! I'd also like to point out that you're probably saving more with the Endless Night Collection as it includes P4D for PS4 and is only $20 more. They don't currently have prices for P4D on PS4 as a stand-alone, but I'm sure it'll be similar to the other two games. Not sure if the collection has the Day 1 Edition content though.

2 minutes ago, eigen-space said:

No problem! I'd also like to point out that you're probably saving more with the Endless Night Collection as it includes P4D for PS4 and is only $20 more. They don't currently have prices for P4D on PS4 as a stand-alone, but I'm sure it'll be similar to the other two games. Not sure if the collection has the Day 1 Edition content though.

Well, I don't have a PS4 so the point is moot, haha

There is no " DLC " included in the day one edition. If you are looking to buy day one I would look into the physical copy (PD4 will still be a digital code). Physical seems to be roughly the same price as digital. Of course physical would be no good for P3/5 vita. The only real incentive for buying it as a collection would be if you want to play P4D (again). If it is the same as the AS / JP release then P4D will not get a separate release option later. If you buy the physical you get a sweet art book. 

P3D is slightly longer than P5D but bother have around same amount of content. 10-12hrs each. 

Edited by Cjshai

2 minutes ago, Alternatewarning said:

Well, I don't have a PS4 so the point is moot, haha

Oh shoot... I didn't realize that the standard vs day one editions were for different systems :facepalm:

They don't have prices for any other Vita versions of those games as everything else is for PS4... so you probably won't actually be saving 33% once they release a standard Vita edition.

11 minutes ago, Cjshai said:

There is no " DLC " included in the day one edition. If you are looking to buy day one I would look into the physical copy (PD4 will still be a digital code). Physical seems to be roughly the same price as digital. Of course physical would be no good for P3/5 vita. The only real incentive for buying it as a collection would be if you want to play P4D (again). If it is the same as the AS / JP release then P4D will not get a separate release option later. If you buy the physical you get a sweet art book. 

P3D is slightly longer than P5D but bother have around same amount of content. 10-12hrs each. 

I can't buy physical since, as I mentioned, I have no PS4 and am only looking at the vita games.  There is no physical version of the vita release.

9 minutes ago, eigen-space said:

Oh shoot... I didn't realize that the standard vs day one editions were for different systems :facepalm:

They don't have prices for any other Vita versions of those games as everything else is for PS4... so you probably won't actually be saving 33% once they release a standard Vita edition.

Well I think the vita prices scale the same.  Regardless, though, it'll take ~2 years for the price to change.  And I did say it would be for vita in my opening post.

The original P4D released in Europe in November of 2015, and I'm pretty sure I bought it around Christmas of that year when it was on sale for 25 EUR. So I'm not sure a sale for these games is going to be all that far away.

You may have already noticed but, the P3/5D Day One Edition nor the standalone versions went on sale in the European PS Store.
However P4DAN did go on sale.

If it's any consolation I paid £110 for the Japanese versions. I may double dip at some point, just for the double platinums.