THE LAST REMNANT Remastered Trophy Thoughts

The list just seems like a "grind this, grind that, do this, complete that" type of list, but I'm a bit skeptical about it; however, I have heard it is a good/hard game due to how the game's mechanics work. From what I have read and or seen, BR (battle rank, I guess??) bases the enemies you fight and how strong they are. So, the longer you grind levels, the higher your BR increases, thus the stronger enemies you encounter from battle to battle. That is at least what I got from reading up on it - could be wrong of course, as I never got the chance to try it, originally. It looks fun though. 

While it makes sense to increase your BR to make your party stronger - it is also a bad thing since even the normal enemies (or just a single enemy from a group) can outright slaughter your entire team if it is too high. It just seems counterproductive for an  RPG to insinuate grinding to get stronger and make your team more powerful as you normally would, but instead to actually punish you for doing it too much or too often. In retrospect, it seems the type of game that provides a unique "take" and or challenge on how to handle the grinding and ultimately makes you change the pace of a, well, typical RPG, and how you can make either your life easier or ultimately a living Hell, depending on how you handle your "BR" or whatever. 

Yes, you can be punished HARD if you level up your groups early. I 1000’d it on 360. Follow the guides or you will hit multiple playthroughs. The last boss is practically impossible if you didn’t research (at least from what I remember). I didn’t see a trophy for all quests, but there is a quest about halfway through that was thought to be optional originally, IT ISNT.  Also, prepare to grind for the monster dismantler. That one was my last achievement and it took quite a while. 

That being said, the story is lack luster but once you start unlocking ultimate techniques you’ll never feel more powerful in a jrpg in my opinion. They are really satisfying attacks. The combat is different and very fun. Good luck to everyone. 

Edited by DanTheManGum

22 minutes ago, TheLakota said:

It's not meant to punish but to challenge. 

I don’t know if you played it originally, but this isn’t simple scaling. Your total BR can sky rocket without much effort. You have to plan to make the game even beatable because teams have individual BR which can mess with their stat growth. If i remember correctly, and it’s been quite a few years, but you could actually make the last boss unbeatable because of poor stat growth and not being able to unlock ultimate attacks. It was an experimental system that wasn’t presented well and could screw you over for not being well read on the subject. That isn’t challenge, it’s punishment. 

EDIT: I looked it up again to see what was the issue with their system. It was chaining. The game promotes you chaining enemy groups. This was the WORST idea in the 360 edition as if didn’t give you effective stat growth. Again, the game had tutorial info explaining how chaining helped you, but it really just ruined your stat gains and inflated your level. 

Edited by DanTheManGum

This version is based on the PC version so a lot of things from the 360 version were adjusted. BR Rank doesn't beef up enemies the way it used to so grinding isn't counterintuitive anymore and it's a lot easier to grind out skills since leveling them up in the 360 version happened at random and was extremely grating

Edited by majob
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, xAaron91 said:

Can't seem to find this to pre order on the PS store?

It doesn't release until tomorrow. No pre order option available

11 hours ago, DanTheManGum said:

I don’t know if you played it originally, but this isn’t simple scaling. Your total BR can sky rocket without much effort. You have to plan to make the game even beatable because teams have individual BR which can mess with their stat growth. If i remember correctly, and it’s been quite a few years, but you could actually make the last boss unbeatable because of poor stat growth and not being able to unlock ultimate attacks. It was an experimental system that wasn’t presented well and could screw you over for not being well read on the subject. That isn’t challenge, it’s punishment. 

EDIT: I looked it up again to see what was the issue with their system. It was chaining. The game promotes you chaining enemy groups. This was the WORST idea in the 360 edition as if didn’t give you effective stat growth. Again, the game had tutorial info explaining how chaining helped you, but it really just ruined your stat gains and inflated your level. 

The game was less about your rank and more about your skill set up and unit deployment. There were skills in the game that were utterly broken no matter what your BR Rank was but were a pain to grind and captains like Emma were extremely strong.

Trophies are the same as the 360 version so it's an easy platinum if you're willing to spend time grinding

Edited by majob

12 hours ago, DanTheManGum said:

Yes, you can be punished HARD if you level up your groups early. I 1000’d it on 360. Follow the guides or you will hit multiple playthroughs. The last boss is practically impossible if you didn’t research (at least from what I remember).

Sounds like poor game design to me. I think I'll pass.

EDIT: I think Square is shaping up to be the next Konami. As a developer, they've done so little lately (gussied up FF Versus to make FF XV, and re-re-re-released past Kingdom Hearts games to yawns).

They need just to move to mobile at this point. It's clearly where their interest lies.

Edited by starcrunch061

On 12/5/2018 at 8:50 AM, majob said:

The remastered is based on the PC version which balanced enemy strength when it scaled and slowed BR growth but as I said before Last Remnant revolved more around your skill, item, and unit captain setups than your levels. People bemoaning enemy strength in the 360 version most likely put minimal attention to those three because I never really found the game hard. PC version was even easier with the adjustments

The game wasn’t hard, it was counter intuitive. This is why I stated you must be well read on the game. It has a tutorial about chaining and how that was a good thing for you to try to chain as much as possible. In the 360 version it’s the exact opposite of what you wanted to do as it could make the game beyond difficult. If you read up on the game, it becomes trivial. But you had to start by knowing these things which wasn’t a good design. 

I got the 1000/1000 GS back in the day with the Xbox version and I also played the PC version. Today I bought the game and played quite a bit because I enjoy it a lot and I can confirm that it's based on the PC version. It was mentioned that grinding isn't punished like in the Xbox version, which is partially true. It's totally possible to beat the game by just playing it normally without a worry in the world, but if one plans to get the Plat it's necessary to properly build your characters because the one trophy requires you to beat the true form of the final boss, which can't be beaten without a proper team. This game is ridiculously complex, how your char develops depends on which weapons you use, which skills you use, when you use them and how often you use them, how you combine those things together and most importantly, who you use it against. Character growth is still based on which enemies you fight, that's why it's recommended not to fight most enemies early on, because you don't gain the stat growth you want. Stat growth is the most important thing in the game, there is a huge difference between facing a boss with a unit with 9999 HP or just 5000, it also makes a difference if a character hits for 500k or 50k. My recommendation is to follow a guide, because not only is the game extremly complex, some side quests are easily missable but completing all is required for the true final boss. I recommend using this guide (not mine) and just enjoy the game: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=531214170

• Like 1