Post your really good game ideas

ObsiEez

Like the title says, post an idea you have that you think would make a really fun game.

Mine is a VR game set around 40-60's where you play a detective & solve cases but instead of getting little hints of which items are useful or not you just go into the crime scenes & you can look at every little item there & you have to figure out yourself if it's useful or not & if you deem it useful take a picture/put it in your notebook. You can accuse anyone involved in the case with or without the evidence so you have to piece everything you find to try & figure out who actually did it & it'll move onto the next case no matter if you're right or wrote & it'll effect the story & the overall outcome of what happens. I think this would make a really fun VR game, kind of like L.A Noire VR on PC but way more open ended

Edited by ObsiEez
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

I would like to see a game that rewards trophies for the correct use of you're and your :)

My bad lol, I ended up typing real fast & wasn't paying attention lol

5 minutes ago, HaserPL said:

Zombie survival game set in the 28 Days Later universe which is a mix of Legend Of Zelda, The Last Of Us and Left 4 Dead. Here's a little video made by NakeyJakey

That sounds like fun. There are so many bland zombie games now adays, would be a nice change of pace to play a zombie game like that

• 1 year later...

Who do you work for? :ninja:

Jokes aside. My idea would be a game in which you play a detective in the 20's-40's era. A lot is very similar to what @ObsiEez describes, but I would have it that at the start of each game a 'dice' is rolled to determine who the killer is (or thief, depending on circumstance), the victim, the murder weapon, location, motive for the murder/theft, etc. This would give theoretically infinite replayability. It seems to be heavily inspired by Cluedo (it is to an extent), but to be fair I did have this idea in my head before I'd even played Cluedo.

Edited by SpaghettiGrabsy
  • Like 2

@Alderriz I think you'd be interested in playing Just Cause 2, and Mercenaries 2: Playground of Destruction.

Your second idea immediately makes me think of the oil rig missions. I'm linking a few YouTube videos that illustrate.

Hopefully they will allow you to indulge your own imagination some more ?.

A really fun guide for the Mercs 2 rig

Time-specific Link BTW
(Underwater-observing-climbing rig)

Not the cleanest gameplay, so I'd only watch until 6:45

Clean & to the point gameplay.

(Aerial assault + Daytime raid)

A better video; I just think the previous link is immediately evocative of the picture you were painting.

Clean & to the point gameplay.

(Sea Assault + Nighttime Raid)

Edited by VI_underGROUND
Spoiler tags were non-'revealable'. Didn't want to make an eyesore, but I've got no choice.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, VI_underGROUND said:

I think you'd be interested in playing Just Cause 2, and Mercenaries 2: Playground of Destruction.

Your second idea immediately makes me think of the oil rig missions. I'm linking a few YouTube videos that illustrate.

I'll check them out. I'm just having trouble opening the spoiler boxes in your post. On both PC browser and my phone. Don't know why it happens sometimes. Can you send me the links in a PM? ? 

Edit: I watched the videos. Yeah, I imagined something similar to that, but with less explosions and more indoors stealth gameplay. Nevertheless, those are probably the two closest examples. Thanks! ??

In an unrelated note, I just remembered that Mercenaries 2 also came out on PS2. That's so crazy. What a weird decision.

Edited by Alderriz
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 8:32 AM, ObsiEez said:

Mine is a VR game set around 40-60's where you play a detective & solve cases but instead of getting little hints of which items are useful or not you just go into the crime scenes & you can look at every little item there & you have to figure out yourself if it's useful or not & if you deem it useful take a picture/put it in your notebook. You can accuse anyone involved in the case with or without the evidence so you have to piece everything you find to try & figure out who actually did it & it'll move onto the next case no matter if you're right or wrote & it'll effect the story & the overall outcome of what happens. I think this would make a really fun VR game, kind of like L.A Noire VR on PC but way more open ended

I have very bad motion sickness so VR might not an option for me.

This already sounds a lot like LA Noire so this will have to be a bit different. I was thinking of a game where you work undercover and your job is to get involved with a gang (likely the Mafia). In Sleeping Dogs you play an undercover cop who has to make contact with members of the Chinese Triads, this would be the same sort of idea.

The 1940s - 1960s were a time when the American Mafia had complete control over Las Vegas, and they also set up people and associates to work in Los Angeles/Hollywood and New York City/New Jersey. Having a game set in that time period where you play a detective and solve cases in those cities would be quite fascinating. It was a real turning point in American History. LA Noire, Mafia II and Mafia III were all set in that period which made them stand out a bit.

But if not, a modern detective game that takes place during the time of The Sopranos and Breaking Bad would be quite nice too. There's an idea for AAA gaming studios, make a crime detective/police officer game set in the modern day. You use that laptop computer in your squad car to track down potential suspects, then you analyze them and determine if they are fit for trial. Playing as multiple characters like in Heavy Rain and Grand Theft Auto V would be preferable.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

On 5/20/2020 at 3:20 AM, Alderriz said:

2. The second one is an 3rd-person single-player action game with uncharted-style climbing, cover-based shooting and some stealth elements. This idea was inspired by MGSV FOB mode. You're in the Waterworld kind of open world. There are many forts and towers in the sea taken over by enemy fractions. You need to capture them all. 

Sort of like Wind Waker with Metal Gear Solid elements. Like it! :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

I have very bad motion sickness so VR might not an option for me.

This already sounds a lot like LA Noire so this will have to be a bit different. I was thinking of a game where you work undercover and your job is to get involved with a gang (likely the Mafia). In Sleeping Dogs you play an undercover cop who has to make contact with members of the Chinese Triads, this would be the same sort of idea.

The 1940s - 1960s were a time when the American Mafia had complete control over Las Vegas, and they also set up people and associates to work in Los Angeles/Hollywood and New York City/New Jersey. Having a game set in that time period where you play a detective and solve cases in those cities would be quite fascinating. It was a real turning point in American History. LA Noire, Mafia II and Mafia III were all set in that period which made them stand out a bit.

But if not, a modern detective game that takes place during the time of The Sopranos and Breaking Bad would be quite nice too. There's an idea for AAA gaming studios, make a crime detective/police officer game set in the modern day. You use that laptop computer in your squad car to track down potential suspects, then you analyze them and determine if they are fit for trial. Playing as multiple characters like in Heavy Rain and Grand Theft Auto V would be preferable.

That sounds like a great idea & yeah it does sound a lot like L.A Noire but what I was going for was more of a combo of Sherlock Holmes & L.A Noire since L.A Noire is kinda linear in terms of the cases & you'll always end up at the right target. I was more trying more a long the lines of you actually piece together the entire case yourself & with those clues you've collected try & figure out who it was. Yeah my brother also experiences motion sickness in VR so it could be like RE7 & have a choice between regular play & VR.

I just love a good detective game but a lot of them are linear & don't end up giving you the freedom of figuring out everything for yourself which is something I would love.

It's not exactly a specific idea, but what I really want to see become the reality if not become more common is seeing "kids" games reach the cinematic quality of games like Uncharted and The Last of Us. It could literally be a playable Pixar movie, but I want a future where games don't have to have realistic human models to be gaming masterpieces. There are many cartoon shows and animated films out there that have proven they can achieve emotional depth and occasionally have the guts to go darker while still being age appropriate, hell if it could make me cry then it did a fantastic job. I'm not exactly asking for a Crash Bandicoot game to make me cry. Games like Jak and Kingdom Hearts are probably the closest thing to what I'm describing, but I feel like we're only scratching the surface. So really I may be asking for two different things between a kids game that can make you cry like a Pixar movie does or kids games that make you feel like a badass like Kratos which Teen Titans is probably the first immediate example I can think of with that, but the point is, first of all there's not enough "kids" or cartoony games, but more so there's not enough risks being taken on the story end while still not quite hitting the M rating I feel.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ObsiEez said:

That sounds like a great idea & yeah it does sound a lot like L.A Noire but what I was going for was more of a combo of Sherlock Holmes & L.A Noire since L.A Noire is kinda linear in terms of the cases & you'll always end up at the right target. I was more trying more a long the lines of you actually piece together the entire case yourself & with those clues you've collected try & figure out who it was. Yeah my brother also experiences motion sickness in VR so it could be like RE7 & have a choice between regular play & VR.

I just love a good detective game but a lot of them are linear & don't end up giving you the freedom of figuring out everything for yourself which is something I would love.

Oh I enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes games. Frogwares needs to make more of them. Doesn't bother me at all if they use the same format. The only real issue is those games are on a budget, meaning they weren't really Hollywood like visually appealing as LA Noire or Sleeping Dogs.

I think a good detective game would be set in modern times, 2000s or 2010s, doesn't matter which decade. Preferably I want the game to take place in America since I'm a lot more familiar with how the police department conducts their work as opposed to Europe. I'm only knowledgeable with how the police force operates in the UK, and even then I barely know much of anything about them.

There needs to be a system where you can actually fail at being a detective or just a regular police officer who chases down criminals. Your badge is revoked and you are ridiculed and criticized. Maybe even put on a criminal trial because you helped some notorious criminals. That would be fascinating especially in modern times.

Television shows like The Sopranos, The Wire, Big Love, Breaking Bad, Six Feet Under and various crime/paramedic drama shows have already showcased a lot of what I'm describing. Video games have yet to touch upon an angle where you can actually be ridiculed as a detective or police officer, instead of just having the game continue forward like in LA Noire and Sleeping Dogs. There needs to be branching paths. You can be a standup police officer whom all the younger people under you look up to, or you can be a corrupt cop who is demoted by the Chief of Police.

Shows that honor American History such as Boardwalk Empire and Mad Men are also possibilities. Many actors in LA Noire came from Mad Men, and I watched most of the episodes when it was still relevant.

There are many possibilities, but the AAA gaming industry isn't willing to take risks. I'm getting fed up with The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones side of things that AAA games have taken to full storm. A bunch of fantasy with zombies, supernatural and the apocalypse all combined into one steaming pile of shit. Ubisoft couldn't make a new and interesting IP to save their own lives. It's pretty sad.

3 hours ago, Potter13579 said:

It's not exactly a specific idea, but what I really want to see become the reality if not become more common is seeing "kids" games reach the cinematic quality of games like Uncharted and The Last of Us. It could literally be a playable Pixar movie, but I want a future where games don't have to have realistic human models to be gaming masterpieces. There are many cartoon shows and animated films out there that have proven they can achieve emotional depth and occasionally have the guts to go darker while still being age appropriate, hell if it could make me cry then it did a fantastic job. I'm not exactly asking for a Crash Bandicoot game to make me cry. Games like Jak and Kingdom Hearts are probably the closest thing to what I'm describing, but I feel like we're only scratching the surface. So really I may be asking for two different things between a kids game that can make you cry like a Pixar movie does or kids games that make you feel like a badass like Kratos which Teen Titans is probably the first immediate example I can think of with that, but the point is, first of all there's not enough "kids" or cartoony games, but more so there's not enough risks being taken on the story end while still not quite hitting the M rating I feel.

Walt Disney animated movies like Beauty & the Beast, The Lion King and Aladdin did this decades ago. The problem is Pixar and Dreamworks movies are too much just cheap comedy, with some drama sprinkled in to mix things up a bit. I wouldn't say Toy Story 4 was terrible or anything but it didn't take any risks. The animated shorts that they've made over the past few years have failed to impress me at all.

Animated films like the stuff Don Bluth made in the 1980s (An American Tail) can still be fully cinematic. That movie was an awesome animated film that takes notes on racism, xenophobia, corruption and poverty. It was cute and adorable in design but dark in it's undertones. I have not seen one Pixar or Dreamworks animated production in the past five years that matches An American Tail in it's usage of darker elements. Putting something like that in a video game would be great, because while An American Tail was largely aimed at "kids", many adults enjoyed the movie and it's narrative on racism and xenophobia.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Spaz said:

*snip*

Seems like you and others in this thread are interested in playing a detective game so I would recommend The Invisible Hours.  Gameplay is completely story-driven, but it has fun features like switching characters and the option to rewind and fast-forward time. 

Essentially what you do is follow characters along and piece together clues by listening to their conversations or watch their actions. The devs got creative by allowing you to rewind time, so you can see what's going on in different parts of the mansion at the same time. One conversation might lead you to think one way, but after listening to a different conversation, the mystery will flip. And most characters are of historical note. 

It is passive gaming - you are just following people around and listening (or reading subtitles), but it's one of the best whodunit mysteries I've played in a game. Basically, Clue in a video game. Don't fret about trophies, none are missable. 

And, it's often included in sales so you can get it for a good price. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Once again, not a particularly genius idea or anything, just thought of a concept for a puzzle game. You're a character that is going to die. Your task is to leave audio diaries for a hero who is going to appear in a predestined spot much later. You need to listen to the recordings, choose the right ones, set a right order, and pick the places you're going to drop them. Mission succeeds if the hero gets the full picture of what happened, solves his stuff with your help, and reaches the end point of the level.

Some examples: if there's a safe with a key inside, you need the hero to find an audio with the code. If there are deadly monsters in a room, you need to leave an audio saying "ugh, they bit me" nearby.

Edited by Slava
Added examples