List of Games You Should Play Unpatched

I've got a rare and obscure game for you to put on your list, the Vita only Japanese version of Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3.
I have platinum on both Japanese and EU releases.

Outside the main mode of the game is a castle mode, you start with 5 minutes on a map, there are 3 castles in total and have various quests and rooms to explore.
Successfully killing enemies and completing quests gave you points and time bonuses.
There is a panel mission for completing 80% of the castle quests, you have to do well on all 3 castles which is required to unlock this trophy

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/3226-戦国無双-chronicle-3/37-年末の大掃除

During this mode, you could also get a 5 second and 500 point boost (Chaos difficulty ) for every 500 hit combo you performed.
500, 1000, 1500 etc. Up to a maximum of 9500pts. Max combo being 9999.
With a LV5 lightning weapon on Chaos setting you could rack up combos and points very quickly, enemies closely packed together gave splash damage and extra hits, which could result in 500-1000 combo hits for just a few weapon swings.
If you used Fuma Kotaro's LV1 skill at the right time you could get a further x2 on all your hits. It is possible to get 13500 points within 3 minutes which when exiting the castle could be used in the shop.
The 40ish character in the game have a rare LV2 weapon which can ONLY be acquired by buying them in this mode, 40x20000 was a lot of grinding but you need more than that to buy other things as well.

This is where we get to the meat of the issue.

Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 (JAP) V1.0 allowed you to get to 9500 points and then reset the combo and start again from 0 again all the way up to 9500 which is a lot of score if you do it over and over again.
The V1.1 patch only allowed you to get to 9500 points ONCE. Thus making a hard mode even harder and grinding longer should you have the patch installed.

Even using a non Japanese PSN account on a cartridge version of the game, you can download the patch, the only way to revert back is to upload your data to the cloud and delete the game and redownload it and cancel the patch.
Or if you have a cartridge version (like I did) delete the game the same way and just refuse the download or pause it when it starts.

Unfortunately the EU and USA digital only releases of the game have the V1.1 patch pre installed so you can't use the glitch, those versions are harder by default. The trade off of the v1.1 patch is that you get a training ground added where 4 characters can level up even when you are not using them. This is a nice feature but buying EXP using 5000 points at the shop using the glitch is better. Otherwise you have to look forward to doing around about 100-150 3 minute grinds to get 13000 or so points in Osaka Castle.

So to summarise, something like this perhaps?

Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 (JAP)  |  The V1.1 patch added a training ground but removed the ability to grind points in the castle modes which could be achieved easily with a LV5 lightning weapon on Osaka castle. 5 second and point boosts were achievable every time you achieve a 500 hit combo, but the patch changed this to the first time you achieve a particular number, thus making grinding longer and increased the difficult of unlocking panel 5

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/3226-戦国無双-chronicle-3/37-年末の大掃除

Edited by enaysoft

Bloodborne has one that only works on a physical copy called the 'pebble duplication exploit.' Patches and the digital version have it removed (not sure about later pressings of the game coming with v1.02 already installed). It makes the game slightly easier and makes earning the Platinum/100% slightly faster. When you do it, you can easily go quite a few levels away from the bosses and kill them in a few hits. 

Copied from a Shacknews article:

The first thing you’ll need to do is create an alternate character and progress them through the game far enough so they gain access to the first lantern in Central Yharnam. Once you do, transport yourself to the Hunter’s Dream and then log back into your main character. Once there, you’ll want to empty out your storage chest.

With your storage chest emptied with your main character, go to your alternate character and buy a pebble. Store the pebble you just purchased into your alternate’s chest, making sure that’s the only thing in there. Now go back to your main character and decide what it is you want to duplicate, noting that only items you can have multiples of are the only ones that can be duped. That means no duping of weapons.

Once you have in mind what you want to duplicate, put one of that item in your storage chest as your main character. Now go and purchase a lot of pebbles, making sure to reach the limit you can carry, which is 20. Once you reach the limit of pebbles you can carry, the extra pebbles will show up in your chest as duplicates of the item you currently have in there. For example: if you purchase 5 extra pebbles that you can’t carry, those pebbles will be transferred to your chest and will show up as 5 of whatever item is in there.

Edited by POEman553

1 hour ago, POEman553 said:

Bloodborne has one that only works on a physical copy called the 'pebble duplication exploit.' Patches and the digital version have it removed (not sure about later pressings of the game coming with v1.02 already installed).

Nice, i had no idea. I just abused online co-op to get carried thru most bosses :lol: added to OP

But why do you say the digital version removed it? It wasn't released late or anything, and I read a GameFAQs thread about a user that apparently did do this glitch digitally by deleting the patch

16 minutes ago, Trope Hore said:

Nice, i had no idea. I just abused online co-op to get carried thru most bosses :lol: added to OP

But why do you say the digital version removed it? It wasn't released late or anything, and I read a GameFAQs thread about a user that apparently did do this glitch digitally by deleting the patch

I think it downloads the full game and v1.02+ included, but if someone was able to download the game and cancelled out of the patch, then it works. I just thought that digital games autoupdate in the download. 

Also, Resistance 2 has one where if you delete the patch, completed the game, and the last checkpoint on the hardest difficulty, OMGWTFBBQ trophy unlocks. 

In Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 you take 4 characters into battle and the EXP at the end is shared between the 4 characters you chose, with you gaining more exp on harder difficulty settings, the 4 characters you didn't take into training get a similar amount of experience too. So it's not based on the system clock sadly, only on battles you undertake on the main game.

50 minutes ago, S_y_n_e_IR_g_Y said:

there was also a debug menu in the 1.0 version of salt and sanctuary, right?

Only the Vita version, which you can just reject the patch on. It's also really only useful for leveling yourself as it's fairly limited in scope from what I remember and 1.0 version of the game on Vita runs pretty poor. 

Some other potential things, Dying Light you'd be better trying to find the patch that was released around when The Following came out. Assuming I'm remembering correct you could self dupe the care packages at one point, then you can turn in large amounts to increase legend level to max which pretty much breaks the game. Firearms at max basically makes Bozak Hoard a joke because you one shot tanks. I don't know if they reduced damage or anything in newer patches though. 

If I'm remembering correctly about the new version of Kerbal Space Progam on the 1.0 version you could earn trophies using creative or whatever the equivalent mode is for the game, which made it far easier. They patched it after so that you can't. I believe The Long Reach had something similar that got brought up elsewhere at one point, though that's on the patch after 1.0 so the patch url would need to be found for it. 

Death's Gambit you can get debug on base game version (iirc), makes the entire thing a joke, then just update to newest patch for doing the final trophy. Or if the patch number can be found they accidentally readded it in one of the patches after they fixed the bugged trophy. 

Edited by Gage
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, S_y_n_e_IR_g_Y said:

@Gage

In Dying Light, you can still dupe the Packages with the current Version of the Game..you could be Legend Level 250 in around 30-45 min. :)

Ah that I didn't know, thought they had fixed most of the exploits for it. I don't think there's really any reason not to play current then since max legend just breaks the game if they've not changed any of the balancing of it from when it was first introduced. 

You can add the PS4 version of Perils of Baking, because one of the first 2 patches (I'm not sure which) changed the final boss fight so it's now a hell of a lot harder that it was pre-patch :(. The Vita version comes pre-patched with the offending update as part of the game so can't be downgraded.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

Get another one for ya which I remembered about a few years ago. Glitched gold trophy by entering "FARTS" I kid you not. :)

On Letter Quest Remastered you could enter certain words and the game would freeze, if you left it for a few minutes the gold trophy would pop for you. Was patched out but could still be rolled back and done on Vita.

Read this thread

19 minutes ago, Trope Hore said:

thanks, i've added pretty much everything

let me know if y'all find a Dying Light dupe exploit video that currently works. I checked a few videos, but there's many complaints of game crashes  @S_y_n_e_IR_g_Y

I'd like to know too. The most recent exploit I read up on required joining a mp game, which I'd prefer to avoid if possible.

Back on topic, Divinity: Original Sin 2 apparently had a gold exploit that was patched out. See post below. Looks like v1.05 was the culprit.

56 minutes ago, Trope Hore said:

thanks, i've added pretty much everything

let me know if y'all find a Dying Light dupe exploit video that currently works. I checked a few videos, but there's many complaints of game crashes  @S_y_n_e_IR_g_Y

Flatout 4 total insanity  trophy Jay will be proud. Glitch new update. But works on lower  

Spoiler

@Trope Hore @RNumbers

Me and my Friends used this Method, it still works. It is Important that you just drop 99x Req. Packages at a time or your Game will crash.

But within 30-45 min you should be around Legend rank 200-250. Deliever your Packages at Night and with the hardest difficulty for more XP. :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, S_y_n_e_IR_g_Y said:
  Reveal hidden contents

@Trope Hore @RNumbers

Me and my Friends used this Method, it still works. It is Important that you just drop 99x Req. Packages at a time or your Game will crash.

But within 30-45 min you should be around Legend rank 200-250. Deliever your Packages at Night and with the hardest difficulty for more XP. :)

Awesome, thanks. I will check this out when I get home.

Aven Colony is another game that can go on the list, because one of the patches added extra objectives to a couple of missions - thus making the Plat take longer to get. Pre-v1.04, the game was a technical train wreck that crashed like crazy and suffered from an abysmal frame-rate that made the game borderline unplayable at times.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

thanks for the submissions. Any details or corrections are always appreciated. I should probably start posting the changes...

Aven Colony  |  An unknown patch (no later than v1.05) allegedly added extra objectives to some missions, making the platinum take longer. Note that v1.04 fixed major technical problems involving crashes & frame rate, so revert at your own risk.

Dead Island Definitive Collection  |  v1.02 accidentally added a debug menu to both games that let players do things like spawn items and teleport places to obtain story progression trophies quicker than normal [thread, video]. It was patched out later that day with "v1.00", indicating that they outright removed the patch from PSN servers.

Divinity: Original Sin 2  |  v1.05 patched this unlimited gold exploit. There isn't much info about how this affects the trophies, but it's an RPG, so buying the best gear will surely speed up all trophies. Every version prior to v1.05 should re-enable this exploit, including v1.00.

Dying Light  |  1) The Feb 2016 patch made 'Things That Go Ka-Boom' (DLC) harder to obtain because the Viral and Goon zombies seem to have more health (source). If you're having trouble, you may be able to revert to a prior patch if you can find its URL in this list. 2) This exploit lets players duplicate care packages to reach legend level ~250 in ~45 mins, trivializing the gameplay to make most trophies faster/easier. It works as of v1.15 (US, CUSA-00078).

FlatOut 4  |  v1.03 has reportedly made 'Jay will be Proud!' unobtainable. You can simply delete the patch to earn the trophy on v1.00.

The Long Dark  |  v1.07 removed a debug menu that let players instantly unlock all trophies [source]. v1.00 doesn't seem to have the debug menu, and the oldest recorded patch URL is for v1.21, so this seems irreversible for the time being.

edit:  I tested The Long Dark (NA) v1.00 and updated accordingly

Edited by Trope Hore
  • Like 1