Removing Inactive players

Hello, Long time visitor first time poster (I think),

I pay very close attention to the national and world rankings. One thing I did notice was a terrible amount of inactive players. Meaning the last trophy they earned was over 6 years ago. Now I respect their push and their ranking (especially around me) however, it does seem that there are more inactive leaderboards than active. I vote that there should be a limit on inactivity, lets say 3 years. If you have not earned atrophy in 3 years, chances are you gave up on gaming or changed platforms etc. 

I understand that they are inactive, so as long as I keep chugging, I'll pass them with no competition, but it does fatten up the rank system with misleading information. 

The reason why I bring this up is that I do study the ranks and take a look at what plats my opponents have and what I can work on next, kinda sucks when a guy Im trying to beat has not logged on to his system in 6 years. Why should he hold a higher rank when he quit the game? I respect his rank, so maybe move them to a "inactive" tab? When they log back on and move up, then he can rejoin the game. Every other game would kick a inactive player, so it is not a radical or new idea.

23 minutes ago, AWPertunity49 said:Hello, Long time visitor first time poster (I think),

I understand that they are inactive, so as long as I keep chugging, I'll pass them with no competition, but it does fatten up the rank system with misleading information. 

I won't lie, when I first joined PSN Profiles for real, I felt the same, in fact, it was one of the first things I noticed. But having started a new profile after having a pretty robust one, even as an inactive, I wouldn't want my work to just be discarded. I look at the leaderboard like I would look at competition or sports records. Some people haven't taken part in a particular competition or sports for years if not decades but their work isn't discounted just cause they don't play. Instead, it's looked at as a measuring stick. 

• Like 4

I remember there being a thread suggesting something very similar a while ago. Back then the general consensus was that activity shouldn’t be a prerequisite for staying on the leaderboard. Just because you haven’t been playing much lately doesn’t mean your trophies don’t count anymore. A leaderboard encompassing all players also holds more legitimacy than one limited to only recently active ones.

I however wouldn’t be opposed to the inclusion of a new leaderboard meant to encourage recent activity, something along the lines of a “most trophies gained last week”.

Edited by Happy
  • Like 2

Terrible idea.

You can't just remove people because they haven't earned any trophies recently, they've still earned every single one they do have and they've earned their place on the leaderboard. If you want to be above them on the leaderboard then you should stop complaining and actually earn it!

This could work depending on how it was implemented.

The players that are inactive still put all of that work and effort into the trophy system to get to there well deserved spots. But I can understand why some players might want them to be took of the leaderboards. When I was in the 80-100 plats range I dubbed it the dead zone because it was full of inactive players. I generally dont care what others have been playing but as I was closing in on 100 I got curious as to what games others had got in the road to 100 and checked a few out. Almost all of them for nearly 3 pages both above and below me were inactive players.

I believe that the system is perfectly fine as it is though, but if there was to be a change here's how I think would be best:

Have 3 "modes" for the leaderboards similar to how we currently have the non cheaters and cheaters leaderboards. the 3 modes would be:
Standard - the leaderboard as it is now
Active mode - a leaderboard purely for players that have been active within the last year. ("legacy" players removed leaving only the current competitors for a more heated and competitive leaderboard)
Legacy mode - A leaderboard for all inactive players that i've dubbed as "legacy players". This leaderboard will be almost like a hall of fame keeping the records of past gamers/competitors in full view for all to see.

Personally im happy with the leaderboards as they are but if there was to be a change this is how I would try to go about it. I know nothing about coding or how any of this works though so this might not even be possible, but still an interesting concept/idea none the less.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSVilleneuve said:

Which game are u talking about?

The ranking system 

1 hour ago, Happy said:

I remember there being a thread suggesting something very similar a while ago. Back then the general consensus was that activity shouldn’t be a prerequisite for staying on the leaderboard. Just because you haven’t been playing much lately doesn’t mean your trophies don’t count anymore. A leaderboard encompassing all players also holds more legitimacy than one limited to only recently active ones.

I however wouldn’t be opposed to the inclusion of a new leaderboard meant to encourage recent activity, something along the lines of a “most trophies gained last week”.

I remember a site for xbox achievements that put players against each other, "ok, you 10, whoever gets the most trophies in a week wins a prize." Most of prizes were digital, but it put another spin on it and encouraged constant activity.

1 hour ago, Squirlruler said:

Do you think WR holders should lose their spot because they die or retire from their sport?

Yes. Games change and 1000 yards 20 years ago is not the same as 1000 yards now. The same way trophies from yester-year games were MUCH easier to obtain than games now.  

21 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

Your current country ranking is in the mid-17,000's.  Jumping up to 11,000 would really make your life that much better? 

Yes

Edited by AWPertunity49

If jumping an artificial 6000 ranking (artificial only because you aren't 11,000, but rather mid 17,000s, those 6000 players between you and the 11k have their rightful place) would actually make your life that much better, is beyond sad. I don't know what your life story is, but I am sorry.

• Like 1

I can think of only one good thing coming from this. Ultra rare trophies would have some more "weight" around here. At 2011 when i started visiting this website Vanquish plat was at 10% rarity. I guess that was because gamers here were more "hardcore" xD trophy hunters so completion was higher. However line would probably have to be drawn lot closer. I'm not sure if 3 year limit would make big impact on rarity. Other than that i don't see plus. Getting yourself in top 100 doesn't mean anything if there's 110 people on leaderboard. We would lose some  fastest achievers from speed runs on secondary accounts, retired trophy hunters and so on.  

Personally i don't care even if this change was ever made. If i'm not here for 3 years feel free to remove me. 

I think the leaderboards are attached to the fastest achievers and first achievers list. Therefore, taking them off the leaderboards could hurt this as well. Taking them off just doesn't seem right to me, IMO. They put in the work, why take them off?

7 minutes ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

Oh you're just trolling. Okay.

Agreed.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, fastflowdaman said:

Made even clearer by the following quote:

To be fair, he's talking about NFL stats here and not actual measurements.  20 years ago there were more running backs that got 1000 yards in a season than there are now, because there's more passing now and less running.  So, running for 1000 yards in a season is now considered to be a more impressive milestone than it used to be.

I don't think this actually helps his argument though, since if anything there's been more easy games being released over time.  There's a larger catalog of games you can earn trophies in right now than 6 years ago (even if you remove games with server closures or de-listings).  If you want to put up as many trophy points as quickly as you can, it's easier right now than it was in the past.  Quite the reverse of the NFL situation.

I don't think enough people care about this to even make an option to sort of the leaderboards by players who have been active within a certain amount of time frame. Anyway, it's kind of selfish to want people removed from the leaderboard for any reason (other than cheating) just so your rank can be higher.

You're complaining about people who are inactive on the leader boards that are higher than you but I haven't once seen you mention the inactive people you've already passed or the inactive people in the lower spectrum of the leader boards. They've earned more trophies than you & therefore have more points than you, why should they be discredited because they don't play anymore?

1 hour ago, AWPertunity49 said:
2 hours ago, Squirlruler said:

Do you think WR holders should lose their spot because they die or retire from their sport?

Yes. Games change and 1000 yards 20 years ago is not the same as 1000 yards now. The same way trophies from yester-year games were MUCH easier to obtain than games now.  

1 hour ago, PerryToxteth said:

Your current country ranking is in the mid-17,000's.  Jumping up to 11,000 would really make your life that much better? 

1 hour ago, AWPertunity49 said:

Yes

These 2 things right here are really dumb to me. Why should someone's hard work be discredited because they retired or died? Oh shit Leonardo da Vinci let's get rid of his status as an amazing painter & trash all his paintings because he's dead it just about the same logic you're using for taking away someone's WR status or place on the leader boards because they died or retired. Should Stan Lee lose his legacy & his spot as the greatest comic writer of all time because he's dead? No because that's just plain dumb. Also to mention that the trophies from the PS3 genre are way easier is just really funny to me because if anything PS4 has so many easier platinum's to earn now & trophies are way easier to get now because developer's will literally just sell you platinum's on a silver platter now.

& the second one saying you're life would be better because you jumped from 17,000 to 11,000 with no effort is a spit in the face to every trophy hunter who worked hard to jump up & crawl up on the leader board. Especially when you say last gen had so many easier trophies but in actual fact were harder since you couldn't just buy platinum's, atleast not as many as you can today.

So instead of trying to get PSNP to do the work for you & artificially boost you rankings, do what the rest of us did to get our rankings & start buckling down & earning some more platinums, if they're inactive what does it matter anyway you'll still end up passing them with little effort since they're not earning anything. I took a scroll through your profile & you have so many unfinished quick & painless plat's unfinished so go work on those & you'll get to 11,000 in no time.

As someone who worked hard to get to where I am on the leader boards (1100 in my country in 3 years of hunting) I'd hate to lose my spot on the leader boards because I retired from gaming or I couldn't game anymore & I bet any trophy hunter  who worked really hard to earn their spots would agree with me

• Like 3