Better PlayStation Series Uncharted or God of War?

JonAutomates

I'm curious, I got into a pretty heated (fun but with strong opinions) discussion about Uncharted as a series vs God of War. In the room, were 6 people. 3 of them were very light/casual gamers, 1 was a bit middle of the road, and the last person, as well as myself, are pretty active gamers. 

In short, only me and the middle of the road gamer thought Uncharted as an entire series was better than God of War. The rest of the group swore up and down that God of War wasn't just better, but "LEAGUES" ahead, which to me is ridiculous. But after the conversation, the middle of the road gamer who agreed with me said God of War favors casual gamers because of it's over the top production. But Uncharted does the exact same thing just in a more human way, err sort of. 

I'm curious as to what people think on here. Both franchises, to me, are some of the best overall series ever made. I just think Uncharted as a whole edges God of War as an experience (for me). Does anyone agree/disagree? Is God of War better as an experience for you? 

Note: This isn't a right/wrong or one game is better than the other question. I'm just curious about what people think, in terms of their personal experience. I like looking at things in a different way, as sometimes that can help me appreciate or see something I wouldn't have noticed before.   

Edited by OneSkillPoint

I only fully played the first Uncharted game, currently playing the second (and knowing the plot of the 3rd) so I can't speak for the entire series. What I have seen so far for me is not even close to God of War. Both series are very light material (at least until the latest game each), they have almost no noteworthy story and are pretty much mindless killing sprees for your main character, God of War in gory faction with old weapons and Uncharted with guns. Whatever shred of story is there only serves that purpose. God of War 1-3 does not hide that fact, everything is just to fuel the rage of Kratos and get you in on his murderous journey, while Uncharted builds a generic skeletton plot around Nathan. Personally I like God of Wars approach more because it goes all the way with it, at least until the new God of War that actually builds a great story with great characters around a solid nordic lore foundation, while also referencing the past games in a meaningful way. Uncharteds story is of little consequence, nothing you do seems to have lasting impact on the world or its characters. It also is seemingly trying to be like Tomb Raider but fails miserably, creating no really memorable characters and cruising the grounded story into somewhat absurd supernatural territory in the end. They are not going all the way with anything though, it feels like someone just merged several franchises together into one blob that has a bit of everything, but lacks all things that made each individual francise great to begin with.

Therefore to me Uncharted is a series that wants to expand in every direction but kinda ends up falling on its face with it, while God of war 1-3 successfully commits in one direction and then makes a full turn to check a new box for the newest game, using the past games well to justify the change in tone. Maybe my view on Uncharted will change after I finish the series, but so far it is underwhelming. Perhaps the best way to show the difference between them is how memorable they are. I could make you a top 20 list of epic and memorable scenes from the God of War series, moch of which will stay with me for the rest of my life because they were awesome, memorable moments, while I struggle to come up with as much as 5 epic moments from Uncharted 1-3. That is just how I see it, I am however interested to hear what reasons someone could have to prefer Uncharted over God of War.

Personally I like both series about the same, but would give God of War the edge because I'm fascinated by ancient mythology.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into another opinion bashing thread like similar ones lately.

• Like 1

There is an old French saying that goes: "Les goûts et les couleurs ne se discutent pas." Which means: "Tastes and colours aren't to be discussed." Ones opinions don't come from rational criteria.That's why it's useless to try to convince someone that his/her opinions are bad. Nobody can actually be right. Even though debating over such things with friends does can be fun, you shouldn't get heated over this.

• Like 1

Uncharted, it's generally has got better with each installment. I know it's an unpopular opinion and he often gets slated for it but I agree with @madbuk in thinking the latest God of War is actually a poor game. It's such a radical change from what came before it it's almost unrecognisable. I actually quite like the story but it's completely lost in the pseudo open world the game was going for and the combat was very very slow. I'd say it was my biggest disappointment this year, and this is from someone who is playing fallout 76!

Edited by Cleggworth
  • Like 2

Overall for me GoW wins. There wasn't an entry in the series that I thought was weak and i thought that the last one that was released was incredibly well made. 

On the other hand, uncharted for me was an okay experience. 

1 was meh but at least it introduced me to the characters that I'll be spending time with. 2 blew me away. The best one in the series for me. 3 felt a little bit unnecessary because I didn't learn much about Nate but overall I enjoyed the locations that I got to visit which made it decent.  4 wasn't that great imo just because of the dragged forest section with the jeep which was literally the second half of the game. So 2>3>4>1 for me

Because of the inconsistency as you can see above in terms of how I ranked them( based on my opinion) I put GoW above which imo more or less improved upon the gameplay and story in every iteration. 

Edited by PooPooBlast

11 minutes ago, Sofa King said:

Personally I like both series about the same, but would give God of War the edge because I'm fascinated by ancient mythology.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into another opinion bashing thread like similar ones lately.

It shouldn't. Even the conversation I was having with the people was a fun and non-trolling. I love both series, so I don't fault anyone for picking one over the other. I'm just more curious to see what others think. What's funny about what you said is, I enjoy ancient mythology myself, but I'm absolutely enthralled by ancient civilizations and the myths that come with them. So I can see why we would (as well as others) favor one over the other, especially when it comes to what people are interested in. 

13 minutes ago, HellcoreFire said:

There is an old French saying that goes: "Les goûts et les couleurs ne se discutent pas." Which means: "Tastes and colours aren't to be discussed." Ones opinions don't come from rational criteria.That's why it's useless to try to convince someone that his/her opinions are bad. Nobody can actually be right. Even though debating over such things with friends does can be fun, you shouldn't get heated over this.

I understand your rationale, but honestly, no one was bashing anyone's opinion in that conversation nor do I see anyone doing it here. Perhaps I phrased my question wrong but I'm curious about peoples experience. I expect some to agree as well as some to disagree. There's no right or wrong here, just interest in what others perceptions are.  

For some reason, both of them are very well received and praised by the gamers. There is no point in comparing them because they are very different. I prefer the gameplay from God Of War but I love the characters and adventure that comes with playing Uncharted.

I'm just comparing the first 3 games of each series since the 4th main entry for both are different. (and I haven't played the latest GoW game anyways)

I go with Uncharted. 

Main Character: Uncharted's Nathan Drake. Kratos is just too damn annoying. 

Setting: Uncharted. I liked GoW's a lot for bringing us to mythical locations, but I just liked Uncharted's settings more.

Lore: Love me some Greek mythology, although I never can remember most of what I read <_<. It just barely loses to Uncharted because it was different lore in each game.

Gameplay: Here I would give it to the GoW games. I prefer hack n slash. (Idk how the latest GoW game plays

Difficulties: As I'm thinking about it I'd give it a tie I think. On the easiest Uncharted probably wins because there's no real boss battles just tougher situations and Uncharted 2 probably had the most difficult ones. On the hardest difficulty, excluding Brutal, then GoW wins because the AI doesn't act as retarded as Uncharted's.

Progression: GoW got better with each game. Uncharted fell a bit short for me with the 3rd entry whereas GoW's 3rd game is its best.

As for side games...I probably still give it to Uncharted even though I've only played Lost Legacy. The side games for GoW were pretty...meh.

Personally, I don't think I will like GoW4 due to how different it is much like I wasn't a huge fan of how Uncharted was changed. Without being biased GoW4 would probably win this actually by a very small margin. 

2 minutes ago, HaserPL said:

For some reason, both of them are very well received and praised by the gamers. There is no point in comparing them because they are very different. I prefer the gameplay from God Of War but I love the characters and adventure that comes with playing Uncharted.

You're right. However, I'm not trying to compare, just curious about experiences. Both are known for giving people a thrill unlike most games this generation so I understand both sides and would like to understand even more if I can. 

22 minutes ago, Rafinha_Mikinha said:

Good luck with that 1f602.png

I've edited my question a bit for some clarity. Trust me, this is not a topic meant to cause a ruckus. So I'm hoping it doesn't break down into that either. 

Uncharted is a linear shooter with less gameplay depth than a Call of Duty game. God of War is interesting and unique with tons of depth to the combat system. Pretty sure I know which one I lean towards lol.

Not saying I don't enjoy Uncharted. There's just absolutely nothing special about them. They don't bring anything to the table, gameplay-wise, that I can't get better versions of in a hundred other games.

I couldn't care less about story in video games so Uncharted's one move has no effect on me.

• Like 1

Always liked God of War better, and that's despite not having played the latest one. The only Uncharted I bothered playing was Uncharted 2. I'm not a huge fan of 3rd person shooters in general, and there's not much to it. At least Mass Effect games had its RPG elements, as well as its builds.

One thing that does bother me with Uncharted is how much I have to suspend reality when transitioning between Nathan Drake, the happy-go-lucky treasure hunter, and Nathan Drake the Super Joe of his generation. Seriously - how many trained mercenaries does he push through in a single game?

Uncharted had its various weapons, I suppose.

Edited by starcrunch061

40 minutes ago, Nighcisama said:

I only fully played the first Uncharted game, currently playing the second (and knowing the plot of the 3rd) so I can't speak for the entire series. What I have seen so far for me is not even close to God of War. Both series are very light material (at least until the latest game each), they have almost no noteworthy story and are pretty much mindless killing sprees for your main character, God of War in gory faction with old weapons and Uncharted with guns. Whatever shred of story is there only serves that purpose. God of War 1-3 does not hide that fact, everything is just to fuel the rage of Kratos and get you in on his murderous journey, while Uncharted builds a generic skeletton plot around Nathan. Personally I like God of Wars approach more because it goes all the way with it, at least until the new God of War that actually builds a great story with great characters around a solid nordic lore foundation, while also referencing the past games in a meaningful way. Uncharteds story is of little consequence, nothing you do seems to have lasting impact on the world or its characters. It also is seemingly trying to be like Tomb Raider but fails miserably, creating no really memorable characters and cruising the grounded story into somewhat absurd supernatural territory in the end. They are not going all the way with anything though, it feels like someone just merged several franchises together into one blob that has a bit of everything, but lacks all things that made each individual francise great to begin with.

Therefore to me Uncharted is a series that wants to expand in every direction but kinda ends up falling on its face with it, while God of war 1-3 successfully commits in one direction and then makes a full turn to check a new box for the newest game, using the past games well to justify the change in tone. Maybe my view on Uncharted will change after I finish the series, but so far it is underwhelming. Perhaps the best way to show the difference between them is how memorable they are. I could make you a top 20 list of epic and memorable scenes from the God of War series, moch of which will stay with me for the rest of my life because they were awesome, memorable moments, while I struggle to come up with as much as 5 epic moments from Uncharted 1-3. That is just how I see it, I am however interested to hear what reasons someone could have to prefer Uncharted over God of War.

I think a major reason why Uncharted is beloved is the down to earth personality of Drake. This is something that's repeated over and over from people, especially after that fan film that was really well done came out. It's one of my reasons why as an experience, Uncharted edges God of War for me. Yes, Drake is as much of a killing machine as Kratos in some sense lol, but what really gets me is the relationships he has, especially with Sully, and how they expand. I will agree, Uncharted 3, while great, does suffer a bit in the epic moments, but I think that's more so because they were trying to tell a past/present story at the same time. But I do believe Nathan/Sully/Elena are memorable, but that's just me.  

But on the flip side, Kratos is amazing, a larger than life character going to battle against the Gods! And you're right, those epic scenes from God of War are incredible. I think the difference for me is, I actually prefer some of those smaller scenes that Uncharted is full of. 

6 minutes ago, OneSkillPoint said:

I've edited my question a bit for some clarity. Trust me, this is not a topic meant to cause a ruckus. So I'm hoping it doesn't break down into that either.

I know you didn't, but you know how people are ? . And I think this is a good topic and I have a lot of fun read some opinions ?

24 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

Uncharted is a linear shooter with less gameplay depth than a Call of Duty game. God of War is interesting and unique with tons of depth to the combat system. Pretty sure I know which one I lean towards lol.

Not saying I don't enjoy Uncharted. There's just absolutely nothing special about them. They don't bring anything to the table, gameplay-wise, that I can't get better versions of in a hundred other games.

I couldn't care less about story in video games so Uncharted's one move has no effect on me.

That's fair. Uncharted is linear. But I feel that could be argued for God of War too right? At least the earlier ones. Now one place I do have a hard time defending is the combat. Not that Uncharted is bad, I quite like it. But it's a standard issue cover and shoot game. That's true. But I think most people realize that going in. It's more so if you're ok with it or not I feel. God of War has movesets and additional powers, so from a gameplay perspective, I could see why someone would be more invested over a longer period of time. 

15 minutes ago, Rafinha_Mikinha said:

I know you didn't, but you know how people are ? . And I think this is a good topic and I have a lot of fun read some opinions ?

True, that can't be helped lol. 

27 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I'm just comparing the first 3 games of each series since the 4th main entry for both are different. (and I haven't played the latest GoW game anyways)

I go with Uncharted. 

Main Character: Uncharted's Nathan Drake. Kratos is just too damn annoying. 

Setting: Uncharted. I liked GoW's a lot for bringing us to mythical locations, but I just liked Uncharted's settings more.

Lore: Love me some Greek mythology, although I never can remember most of what I read <_<. It just barely loses to Uncharted because it was different lore in each game.

Gameplay: Here I would give it to the GoW games. I prefer hack n slash. (Idk how the latest GoW game plays

Difficulties: As I'm thinking about it I'd give it a tie I think. On the easiest Uncharted probably wins because there's no real boss battles just tougher situations and Uncharted 2 probably had the most difficult ones. On the hardest difficulty, excluding Brutal, then GoW wins because the AI doesn't act as retarded as Uncharted's.

Progression: GoW got better with each game. Uncharted fell a bit short for me with the 3rd entry whereas GoW's 3rd game is its best.

As for side games...I probably still give it to Uncharted even though I've only played Lost Legacy. The side games for GoW were pretty...meh.

Personally, I don't think I will like GoW4 due to how different it is much like I wasn't a huge fan of how Uncharted was changed. Without being biased GoW4 would probably win this actually by a very small margin. 

You bring up a lot of points that we were having in the conversation. One thing that everyone could pretty much agree one is the feeling of bad@ssery that Kratos give you. That's something that is hard to deny, especially if you are good at the game. However, as I mentioned in another answer, there's something about the character of Nathan Drake that I feel draws people. There are articles about how Drake seems like a character you could just grab a beer with or something and a lot of people like that. So main character is almost always going to be a toss-up, as well as gameplay (hack and slash vs run/cover and gun) and setting (what you enjoy more). 

Something I realized, which is interesting and was brought up in the conversation as well, is for God of War, a lot of people turn to the 3rd game as their frame of reference. For Uncharted, a lot of people turn to the 2nd game. I know those are two of the more critically acclaimed games in each of their respective series but I also think it's telling of what moments people remember the most. 

Edited by OneSkillPoint

GoW wins with a little margin. The gameplay is difficult but has lots of moves (counter the important). And they say right from the start that Kratos is not a nice guy. Greek mythology well implememted (different powers and enemies). I played only the ps3 games so far. Worst point: right stick used to evade (i'm happy they changed that now)

In Ucharted i like the relationship between Nathan and his friends and also the different stories and locations. But it is just a cover based shooter. And Nathan is shown as a nice guy who kills thousands of people (they're evil of course). The enemy waves you have to survive a too much. I played Uncharted 1 to 4. U4 is the best, felt like more non shooting was included

1 hour ago, Evil_Joker88 said:

GoW wins with a little margin. The gameplay is difficult but has lots of moves (counter the important). And they say right from the start that Kratos is not a nice guy. Greek mythology well implememted (different powers and enemies). I played only the ps3 games so far. Worst point: right stick used to evade (i'm happy they changed that now)

In Ucharted i like the relationship between Nathan and his friends and also the different stories and locations. But it is just a cover based shooter. And Nathan is shown as a nice guy who kills thousands of people (they're evil of course). The enemy waves you have to survive a too much. I played Uncharted 1 to 4. U4 is the best, felt like more non shooting was included

That's the thing that is kind of funny about Uncharted. Drake is cool, the relationships are personable, but he does straight up kill, what seems like, 500 people per game lol. I mean.... they are shooting at him though. But he's a human tank. 

1 hour ago, Feral said:

I've only played the first God of War and hated it so Uncharted.

Will you not try any of the later ones? Or did the game just not suit what you like to play?

From what I've played between the two, I believe God of War is overall, the more solid franchise. 

Story:

At first glance, the God of War story seems very simple with Kratos simply being on this warpath to destroy the Gods that wronged him, but I feel like it's much deeper than that especially with what the newest entry has done. I see it as the story of a man that serves the Gods rather than himself and he pays a great price for this. He continuously relies on the Gods (and later the Titans) and eventually kills them all, but all he needed to do was confront himself. He tried everything he could to do away with his guilt and rage except live with it. By the fourth game, he has nobody left to confront, but himself and that's why we see this more reserved version of Kratos. He is finally living with his guilt and has accepted what he has done. During this time he has also found a way to control the endless rage within himself. We also see Atreus begin to exhibit this same rage at points in the game and Kratos is trying to prevent his son from following the same path.

Uncharted stories on the other hand, deal with this group of adventurers venturing to lost cities in search of great treasures. It does this well, but it is far more shallow than God of War in this sense. I also find Drake to be a very underwhelming character without other characters like Elena or Sully to play off of.

Gameplay: 

Both series are very linear (aside from GoW4, have yet to play Uncharted 4), but God of War excels over Uncharted here because of its diverse combat. As you progress through these games, you acquire more tools that offer new ways to alter how you approach combat. There's also a good deal of variety with enemy types as well as bosses to keep gameplay interesting. Uncharted offers some variety with its enemies by using shields and snipers, but dealing with them still boils down to shooting them until they're dead. Combat for Uncharted essentially feels no different than a Call of Duty game - take cover and shoot enemies and then proceed. Where Uncharted excels is its puzzles, which offers a fair challenge without frustrating the player.

I don't want to make this post too long, so this is just some of the things I think when I compare these two series.

• Like 1