Better PlayStation Series Uncharted or God of War?

JonAutomates

3 hours ago, OneSkillPoint said:

You bring up a lot of points that we were having in the conversation. One thing that everyone could pretty much agree one is the feeling of bad@ssery that Kratos give you. That's something that is hard to deny, especially if you are good at the game. However, as I mentioned in another answer, there's something about the character of Nathan Drake that I feel draws people. There are articles about how Drake seems like a character you could just grab a beer with or something and a lot of people like that. So main character is almost always going to be a toss-up, as well as gameplay (hack and slash vs run/cover and gun) and setting (what you enjoy more). 

Something I realized, which is interesting and was brought up in the conversation as well, is for God of War, a lot of people turn to the 3rd game as their frame of reference. For Uncharted, a lot of people turn to the 2nd game. I know those are two of the more critically acclaimed games in each of their respective series but I also think it's telling of what moments people remember the most. 

I didn't really get that badass feeling because I didn't like Kratos. Hearing his voice gets on my nerves so any cinematic scene didn't capture me like others. Everything else about the games was ok. As for the story? It's not the first I've seen about challenging the gods and becoming one through deicide. So that wasn't as big an impact on me.

As for the games? I liked the first Uncharted game the most with its setting and lore. 

I know I won't like GoW4 as much as 3 so I don't need to play it to consider it for this particular area of discussion. 

To me uncharted is solid because of the characters personalities and the visuals. Besides that the gameplay itself is very uninteresting to me. Just not engaging, shootout, walk to the next spot. The story is just okay in all of them. Still fun games to play through as they feel like an adeventure. But GOW blows Uncharted away as a game in my book. The combat is just so much more diverse, and the story feels much deeper. 

God of War without a doubt for me.

Personally Uncharted didn't really do it for me, though I respect the games quality (because ND do deliver!)

My reasons are totally personal, I just much prefer the action/hack&slash genre (DMC, MGR, GOW being standouts) and I really adore Greek mythos, I was rather obsessed with it before the concept for the first game was even conceived so that's a strong advantage, even an 'average' hack&slash set in Greek mythos would rank high for me, so a high quality one certainly would.

I was super skeptical about the new GoW simply because I had little to no interest in Norse but it won me over, I still much prefer Greek of course but I can safely say the new GoW ranks reasonably highly to me.

The highs and lows of each series are pretty comparable:

Uncharted:

1 - 3/5

2 - 4/5

3 - 3/5

4 - 5/5

LL - 4/5

PSP1 - 2/5

PSP2 - 2/5

Total: 23/35

Gameplay loop: stealth, combat, puzzle/climbing, repeat.

God of War:

1 - 5/5

2 - 4/5

3 - 4/5

A - 2/5

2018 - 5/5

PSP1 - 2/5

PSP2 - 2/5

Total: 24/35

Gameplay loop: combat, boss, puzzle, repeat.

The platinum difficulty for all of them is reasonably interchangeable too.

I prefer Kratos over Drake and I am a sucker for Greek Mythology. GoW games have fantastic level design as well. But the Uncharted series' gunplay is superior to other similar games, whereas GoW's hack and slash does not innovate within that aspect of it's gameplay...

This is so hard! I can't decide, I play each of them for different reasons. I think... maybe... GoW.... maybe.... aaaargh!

Edited by GonzoWARgasm
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

God of War without a doubt for me.

Personally Uncharted didn't really do it for me, though I respect the games quality (because ND do deliver!)

My reasons are totally personal, I just much prefer the action/hack&slash genre (DMC, MGR, GOW being standouts) and I really adore Greek mythos, I was rather obsessed with it before the concept for the first game was even conceived so that's a strong advantage, even an 'average' hack&slash set in Greek mythos would rank high for me, so a high quality one certainly would.

I was super skeptical about the new GoW simply because I had little to no interest in Norse but it won me over, I still much prefer Greek of course but I can safely say the new GoW ranks reasonably highly to me.

Hard to deny that. As a huge DMC fan, I can totally understand the preference for that type of combat. I've mentioned already, it's very hard to defend gameplay being pretty much the same in the Uncharted series. Personally, I like the narrative of Uncharted a bit more, but I'd give combat to God of War every time. 

1 hour ago, entonces55 said:

To me uncharted is solid because of the characters personalities and the visuals. Besides that the gameplay itself is very uninteresting to me. Just not engaging, shootout, walk to the next spot. The story is just okay in all of them. Still fun games to play through as they feel like an adeventure. But GOW blows Uncharted away as a game in my book. The combat is just so much more diverse, and the story feels much deeper. 

I think that's really where it becomes interesting. I've seen people (even on this forum topic here) claim Uncharted is deeper or God of War is deeper. That, I believe, is the biggest debate. Like I said, no right or wrong here, your experience is your experience. I may not have realized how highly people hold God of War (hell including me!). I'm just surrounded by more Uncharted fans in day to day life, which plays a part perhaps.  

• Like 1

Hmm interesting pairing of titles.  I'd have to say God Of War.   While I think the gameplay of Uncharted is deeper (I haven't played the newest God Of War so forgive me on not really knowing how much gameplay that adds) but I think the story is more cohesive and better grounded.

While I think the story is much simpler in the God Of War games, I feel like I can follow the general arc and things aren't just happening.  Where as in Uncharted, I don't really remember the story in any of them (I haven't finished 2, 4 or the Lost Legacy, so I can't vouch for those) or really caring for that matter.  In fact, a lot of the time it felt like I was just being drug from set piece to set piece.  I also find the Treasure collectibles kind of boring and just slapped in to no real benefit of the game.  I can see why someone would like them, but I've never been super into them.

God of War is better because it's single player (Ascension gets a pass, barely, because you don't have to actually play the multiplayer). The series isn't great, but it's something decent enough to turn on while you turn off your brain.

Naughty Dog used to be good during PS1&2, but after leaving Crash and Jak, they lost that spark.

3 hours ago, OneSkillPoint said:

Will you not try any of the later ones? Or did the game just not suit what you like to play?

Probably not, the game just kinda irritated me. At this point would rather play the games in my backlog that I'm more likely to enjoy than a series that's left a bad taste in my mouth for 11+ years. 

6 minutes ago, Feral said:

Probably not, the game just kinda irritated me. At this point would rather play the games in my backlog that I'm more likely to enjoy than a series that's left a bad taste in my mouth for 11+ years. 

Lol, that's fair. No point in continuing if it's not your thing. 

• Like 1

I'm an Uncharted guy through and through. It's one of my favorite game series of all time...Uncharted 2 is easily in my Top 5 favorite games ever. It's enough that if this conversation was Uncharted vs. The Last of Us....TLoU wouldn't even have a chance. Uncharted is Naughty Dogs true Masterpiece. 

Everything from the characters, to the lore, to the stories, to the adventure, to the gameplay...right down to the games having some of the best voice acting I've ever heard. It was always a near perfect series for me. I still have the Remastered versions of Uncharted 2 and 3 waiting to be played for a "rainy day" so to speak.

That's not to say I don't enjoy God of War...especially this years Sequel-boot, it gave me a new found respect for the series (I prefer the new style to the old). But GOW was always a series I felt content with once I finished it. I do hate the Challenge Modes though, Challenge of the Gods or whatever each game called them...I loathed those. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Viper said:

I'm an Uncharted guy through and through. It's one of my favorite game series of all time...Uncharted 2 is easily in my Top 5 favorite games ever. It's enough that if this conversation was Uncharted vs. The Last of Us....TLoU wouldn't even have a chance. Uncharted is Naughty Dogs true Masterpiece. 

Everything from the characters, to the lore, to the stories, to the adventure, to the gameplay...right down to the games having some of the best voice acting I've ever heard. It was always a near perfect series for me. I still have the Remastered versions of Uncharted 2 and 3 waiting to be played for a "rainy day" so to speak.

That's not to say I don't enjoy God of War...especially this years Sequel-boot, it gave me a new found respect for the series (I prefer the new style to the old). But GOW was always a series I felt content with once I finished it. I do hate the Challenge Modes though, Challenge of the Gods or whatever each game called them...I loathed those. 

I pretty much feel the same about Uncharted 2. I love RPG's more than anything and in my personal top 5, 4 are RPG's, the other is Uncharted 2. 

Playing through the game number 2 right now, I have an even better answer why I vastly prefer God of War. Uncharted 1 had some shitty mechanics, but at least it did have the decency to only have 1 absolutely atrocious bossfight with those shitty mechanics. Not number 2 though. Several shitty fights and I am currently on the train boss on crushing difficulty, and thats gotta be the fucking worst shit in terms of design I have ever encountered, probably in all my gaming life. I estimate that I am currently halfway through this piece of shit game and I did ragequit like 3 times by now, which is a new record for a single run in any game. Even the first one only managed to make me rage quit once in chapter 7 (brutal difficulty) and 95% of games don't manage to do it even once because getting me just upset is quite an accomplishment, and getting me so angry that I throw my controller into the corner and turn off the console means whoever sat there and designed that should be fired, because difficulty alone can't do that to me.

The first game had its ups and downs, crushing difficulty was rather fun, brutal was bullshit enough to turn the entire experience into a slight negative. The second game is already much worse in pretty much every single way except having better characters and more fleshed out story. I already have the desire to throw the collection off of my system entirely and I have not even begun the brutal difficulty run yet. I can't remember ever getting this pissed off in any God of War game. Sure God of War had some bad levels and boss fight stinkers as well, but nothing comes even close to what I am experiencing right now. How anyone can enjoy playing this second game is beyond me, I would have been better off watching a let's play, which is probably what I am doing with game number 3 because if that one ends up being even worse somehow I won't even bother playing it. I also have yet to experience a single awe moment in the second game, something the first game managed to do for me twice and something every God of War game does with ease. Someone please tell me that there are no more of these utter shit bossfights after the nameless immortal grunt in the train.

• Like 1

For sure, I have to say God of War. Been playing it since the PS2 era (and it’s one of the best series in PS history IMHO). I’ve heard more people speak about God of War and some haven’t even played it. A few friends of mine picked up a PS3 just to play it. Uncharted is a damn good series in all honesty, but the story of God of War caught my attention day 1, and still has it (got all PS3 games downloaded). 

6 minutes ago, PooPooBlast said:

LOL he is talking about that macho rambo dude that doesn't die from bullets or grenades but has to be meleed :lol:. Such a trolly part by the devs.

Yeah, but he can only be meleed when you hit him with around 60 bullets before he runs to you and kills you. Then you have a bastardised version of a quick time event that tends to bug out half the time. As many people in other boards already stated, this fight is massively dependent on luck so the moment I was sure I was pressing the right numbers of square and triangle at the right times (often the triangle will be invisible, so you have to hit it on instinct) I just had to do it over and over and over again until it finally worked after doing the exact same shit like 20 times in a row. If I ever play this shit on brutal I will cut every corner and abuse every glitch, this game does not deserve to be played honestly, I shall have no shame stealing that gold trophy.

Thankfully the boss in the cave was easy, another boss like the one in the train and I might burst a testicle.

On 12/6/2018 at 10:20 AM, madbuk said:

God of War was great fun until the newest one which had an awful story and rather bland gameplay.

Uncharted, on the other hand, I hate the second game and only found 1 and 3 just kinda ok, but I also really enjoy 4 (apart from the balancing issues on Crushing) and Golden Abyss (and Fight for Fortune if we're counting that) and Lost Legacy had some of the best puzzles in the series (though I disliked that large open chapter and some of the vehicle combat), so Uncharted more or less ended on a strong note unlike GoW which degenerated into something unrecognizable.

Which means Uncharted wins for me unless God of War redeems itself with the next two games.

Madbuk, at this point I think that you make statements because you like being a contrarian instead of having actual conversations, your opinions have always clashed with mine but this is ludicrous to say though, you’re entitled to your wrong opinions though. 

I hope you step down and take a look at what you say because most of the time I feel like it’s either trolling or just purposefully trying to ignite hot debates. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Soufwar said:

Madbuk, at this point I think that you make statements because you like being a contrarian instead of having actual conversations, your opinions have always clashed with mine but this is ludicrous to say though, you’re entitled to your wrong opinions though. 

I hope you step down and take a look at what you say because most of the time I feel like it’s either trolling or just purposefully trying to ignite hot debates. 

Hey, if God of War 2 and 3 (since it'll be a trilogy) retroactively fix the many problems with the first game, I'll be more accepting of it as a sequel. As it stands though, it's just a narrative mess that clashes with the original saga multiple times, causing it to fall apart. I hear the novelization tries to remedy a lot of the holes, but in doing so it just raises even more questions, because the novel explanation doesn't make much sense either.

The gameplay is ok I guess, especially when you unlock the second weapon, but the puzzles are always a joke, the climbing is slower and somehow even more obvious than it is in Uncharted (thankfully, unlike Uncharted, there's a lore explanation for why all climbable ledges are painted so brightly), and the removal of jump is a huge letdown since that means there's no longer any platforming involved.

Really though, despite my issues with the gameplay, they're minor at best compared to how utterly disappointed and disgusted I was by the main story and how it treats the original saga like trash.

Uncharted tries so hard to get me to like witty everyman Nathan Drake, while also making me kill hundreds of people.

God of War tries so hard to ensure I despise angsty edgelord Kratos, while also making me kill hundreds of creatures.

The kudos have to go to God of War for tonal consistency I guess, but I’m not really a fan of either. Third person cover shooters aren’t my bag, and I played Ninja Gaiden Black and Devil May Cry 3 before God of War, so I was used to better combat. I’ve still only played GoW 1 on PS2 and UC 1&2 on PS3, though.

6 hours ago, madbuk said:

Hey, if God of War 2 and 3 (since it'll be a trilogy) retroactively fix the many problems with the first game, I'll be more accepting of it as a sequel. As it stands though, it's just a narrative mess that clashes with the original saga multiple times, causing it to fall apart. I hear the novelization tries to remedy a lot of the holes, but in doing so it just raises even more questions, because the novel explanation doesn't make much sense either.

The gameplay is ok I guess, especially when you unlock the second weapon, but the puzzles are always a joke, the climbing is slower and somehow even more obvious than it is in Uncharted (thankfully, unlike Uncharted, there's a lore explanation for why all climbable ledges are painted so brightly), and the removal of jump is a huge letdown since that means there's no longer any platforming involved.

Really though, despite my issues with the gameplay, they're minor at best compared to how utterly disappointed and disgusted I was by the main story and how it treats the original saga like trash.

I honestly don’t know how you can think that, we have completely different views on everything, 180. Both and south, left and right. I really never agreed with anything you ever said and it bugs me because I quite literally never met someone with a gaming taste like yours. Ugh, I still think this God Of War is the second best GoW after GoW 2.