PSN NA Game Awards Sale

majob

12 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

It is this new generation of gamers. Seriously look at how games were done even 10 years ago and it is shocking how far we have fallen.

You know 3 days before release date used to be called "release date" more and more games are coming out on Friday with a "play it 3 days before' but games used to come out on Tuesday so now you are just playing it on time instead of late.  And even if it is actually 3 days earlier...is that really worth the price you could have saved if you bought it a few weeks later?

That is another thing that is being taken away from us...just like costumes, bonus modes, the entire game available at once. Now we pay for the privilege for all those things and with the invention of loot boxes we are now paying for the privilege of maybe obtaining all of those things...or maybe not.

I miss costume side quests and unlockable bonus modes so much. That's one of the biggest reasons I've been so against the Tales of series from Xillia onwards. They took out all the fun little post game costumes and side quests, and instead you just pay for all the costumes and have none of those fun extra character interactions. It also makes the games significantly shorter and light on content. That's just one example too. There are so many more. I find myself playing more and more older games lately, because they're complete, dont have issues, and have a ton of stuff to do.

4 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

I miss costume side quests and unlockable bonus modes so much. That's one of the biggest reasons I've been so against the Tales of series from Xillia onwards. They took out all the fun little post game costumes and side quests, and instead you just pay for all the costumes and have none of those fun extra character interactions. It also makes the games significantly shorter and light on content. That's just one example too. There are so many more. I find myself playing more and more older games lately, because they're complete, dont have issues, and have a ton of stuff to do.

Right. 

One of the best parts of Goldeneye was getting better and better at levels to unlock the cheats. I still remember when my brother finally unlocked invincibility it was one of the best moments in gaming. 

I did the same with Invisibility where I actually skipped the afternoon of school because I was trying for it at lunch and was on such a roll getting my time down I didn't want to break my concentration. Actually funny story about that day. I ended up earning Invisibility and the phone rang. Thinking nothing of it I picked it up only to find myself talking with my teacher who told me to get back to school and he wouldn't tell my parents ^_^ 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/7/2018 at 5:31 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

Right. 

One of the best parts of Goldeneye was getting better and better at levels to unlock the cheats. I still remember when my brother finally unlocked invincibility it was one of the best moments in gaming. 

I did the same with Invisibility where I actually skipped the afternoon of school because I was trying for it at lunch and was on such a roll getting my time down I didn't want to break my concentration. Actually funny story about that day. I ended up earning Invisibility and the phone rang. Thinking nothing of it I picked it up only to find myself talking with my teacher who told me to get back to school and he wouldn't tell my parents ^_^ 

I'm sorry for bringing an old topic up like this but I can't help but agree with you on this.

I'm guessing you played Goldeneye 007 on the N64.

I tried the same thing. What killed me was on 007 difficulty auto aiming was disabled, which made the train level a royal pain in the ass because in addition to enemies being tougher and having sniper like aiming skills there were more objectives you had to do.

Took ages to get past that level. Then there was the Jungle level that was a pain in itself, then the level afterwards where you had to protect Natalya from a bunch of bad guys that swarm her.

Those automated mounted turrets were a pain in the ass also. But fuck that game was fun. Me and my best friend spent hours and hours and hours trying to beat some of the levels, because we wanted the unlockables that came after beating them

Edited by Spaz

6 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I'm sorry for bringing an old topic up like this but I can't help but agree with you on this.

I'm guessing you played Goldeneye 007 on the N64.

I tried the same thing. What killed me was on 007 difficulty auto aiming was disabled, which made the train level a royal pain in the ass because in addition to enemies being tougher and having sniper like aiming skills there were more objectives you had to do.

Took ages to get past that level. Then there was the Jungle level that was a pain in itself, then the level afterwards where you had to protect Natalya from a bunch of bad guys that swarm her.

Those automated mounted turrets were a pain in the ass also. But fuck that game was fun. Me and my best friend spent hours and hours and hours trying to beat some of the levels, because we wanted the unlockables that came after beating them

the one where you had to protect Natalia I believe was the 10 minute cheat level and that was another one where you felt badass after unlocking it.

Also the grave yard cheat was fun to unlock has every thing had to be so perfectly timed to do it.

See kids today won't know the fun of that. You don't just buy your varying costumes and cheats...you had to master a game and when you earned it it was something you bragged about at school to your friends.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

See kids today won't know the fun of that. You don't just buy your varying costumes and cheats...you had to master a game and when you earned it it was something you bragged about at school to your friends.

That's because back then we didn't have smartphones with some random idiot texting us crap or news apps giving us a constant deluge of news feed. We had to sit there and play for hours upon hours to get good, especially that Train level because that was difficult.

Kids were kids. Today, not so much.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

That's because back then we didn't have smartphones with some random idiot texting us crap or news apps giving us a constant deluge of news feed. We had to sit there and play for hours upon hours to get good, especially that Train level because that was difficult.

Kids were kids. Today, not so much.

the saddest I got was when COD MW2 came out and 4 friends came in and each bought a copy and were talking about when each were going to be on to play.

I remember a new game came out, you went to a buddy's house and order a pizza and hung out with your friends while playing the new game...now we go home alone and play with them over the Internet :(

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I remember a new game came out, you went to a buddy's house and order a pizza and hung out with your friends while playing the new game...now we go home alone and play with them over the Internet :(

The same friend had sleep ins at my house. We woke up at 7 - 8 AM in morning, eat breakfast, then around 12 PM or so we would sit together and play a game like Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. 

The game was single player only but we took turns playing. We played for hours upon hours upon hours. We borrowed games from each other, sometimes for a couple months at a time while my friend held on to a game I was giving him.

We played a lot on the PC too. Starcraft was fucking phenomenal, we awed at how good the graphics and gameplay were.

That kind of bonding experience is gone today. Kids these days hide behind their smartphones posting shit on Facebook and Twitter. That’s a great way to grow up as a kid. 

They have no clue what a NERF gun is, what it meant to spray each other with Super Soakers, or jump on the trampoline with others. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Spaz said:

The same friend had sleep ins at my house. We woke up at 7 - 8 AM in morning, eat breakfast, then around 12 PM or so we would sit together and play a game like Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. 

The game was single player only but we took turns playing. We played for hours upon hours upon hours. We borrowed games from each other, sometimes for a couple months at a time while my friend held on to a game I was giving him.

We played a lot on the PC too. Starcraft was fucking phenomenal, we awed at how good the graphics and gameplay were.

That kind of bonding experience is gone today. Kids these days hide behind their smartphones posting shit on Facebook and Twitter. That’s a great way to grow up as a kid. 

They have no clue what a NERF gun is, what it meant to spray each other with Super Soakers, or jump on the trampoline with others. 

Not just super soakers...but knowing you were close enough to grab the hose and take down those fuckers :D

Yeah it is sad. I have posted before about going out with coworkers for lunch and instantly everyone is grabbing their phones. We have a 0 phone policy in our office and just last week we had a meeting where our manager laid down the law again about NO PHONES IN THE OFFICE and not an hour later people were back on their phones. 

Seriously what is so damn important that you can't wait for your break. 

• Like 1

On 07/12/2018 at 5:27 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

It is this new generation of gamers. Seriously look at how games were done even 10 years ago and it is shocking how far we have fallen.

You know 3 days before release date used to be called "release date" more and more games are coming out on Friday with a "play it 3 days before' but games used to come out on Tuesday so now you are just playing it on time instead of late.  And even if it is actually 3 days earlier...is that really worth the price you could have saved if you bought it a few weeks later?

That is another thing that is being taken away from us...just like costumes, bonus modes, the entire game available at once. Now we pay for the privilege for all those things and with the invention of loot boxes we are now paying for the privilege of maybe obtaining all of those things...or maybe not.

7aeQIge.jpg

• Like 3