Do you like Jim Sterling?

Wavergray

Do you Like Jim Sterling  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Like Jim Sterling

Abso-fucking-lutely. He is an incredibly important advocate for consumers in the gaming industry. I may not agree with every review he gives, but he has exposed me to so many hidden gems in gaming. He is also one of the only people in the industry to be critical of Triple-A games and how they become formulaic. And some people think he is beating a dead horse some times, but that is because he loves gaming so much and if he didn't do that, no one would be aware of as many issues in the gaming industry as they are, ranging from the mass distribution of shovelware on Steam to the rampant labor violations at Rockstar with Red Dead Redemption 2.

I need a third option, "Eh".

I used to watch some of Yahtzee's stuff on ZP a few years back and then they did that crossover show together and I checked it out and I didn't mind it. I watched a couple of Jim's things and before long, yeah, I was watching his stuff for a while. But after a while, I don't know, something about an overweight middle aged man yelling about video games and agendas and shit, it lost it's charm. I still watch the main show, the only thing I ever watched actually, here and there when it's in my recommended, but I would never seek him out. Anyone can yell about anything, and I'm not saying he's done anything I necessarily disagree with (though I'm not, not saying that either), but like, there's a billion other pundits out there who do a better job and don't come across as a whiny brat.

He has what I call Greg Miller Syndrome. Which is to say, he's a fucking baby in an adult's skin suit. But if you asked me who I'd prefer to watch, I'd rather watch 10 hours of Jim a day than have to sit through an hour of that turncoat Miller. Which is actually funny in itself, because as ZP turned me on to Jim, that Beyond show on IGN is what put me onto both Miller and Moriarty and tbh I watched like 2 videos of Kinda Funny when they started before I stopped caring, they didn't grab me, but seeing Colin go off to do his own shit, I love it. Colin is one of my like 6 YouTube subscriptions. I only mention it because behind every loud mouth, annoying, over weight, games YouTuber, there seems to be a relatively level headed skinny guy who isn't afraid to just say what they think and could care less about the partnerships.

Plus all that wrestling bullshit and pogs and that can fuck off. I get that it's part of the show, but it's a tired joke more than comedic gold. It's the same shit every fucking time with this guy, and once the costumes and cheesy dialogue wear off, all you've got is a cool theme song, and a lucky, but undeserving, loud mouth thinking he's better than he is.

I miss AlphaOmegaSin.

• Like 2

I like him in terms of his consumer advocacy in gaming which is genuinely needed. But at the same time, his negativity gets old and it's hard to see him actively liking anything in the video game medium.

His reviews are all over the place as far as what he thinks works best or deserves his praise though.

• Like 1

no. i agree with what he stands for but his whole channel is just being negative and it gets tiring fast as he repeats stuff weekly. it would be better if he actually did content that helped consumers find these pro consumer games that actually respect the players rather than just harp on about loot boxes or other crap he harps on about weekly. 

I mean, you should maybe be a tad more specific then just yes or no..

I think the most common census is that people think most of the stuff he do is pretty good, well spoken ect but there is also things he do that is just awful.

That does not mean I dislike or like the guy in that kind of way, I hate his "reviews" or "Jimpressions" because all of them are the same thing; should've called it "comparessions" because all he can do is compare mechanics and story elements and nitpick in that environment.

Also 20+ articles on the same topic is not really needed either.

Most stuff he does I disagree with him but that doesn't mean I dislike the guy.

He makes good points, I just can't stand listening to his actual voice. If he makes a video about something I'm interested in, sometimes I'll read the subtitles. I don't feel the need to watch every rant he concocts, because there is a lot of repetition, but I agree with a lot of what he says. He has a good sense of perspective on some things.

He's good when he speaks about gaming, in fact I typically watch Jimquisition each week. Though he's definitely had his faults where he's said things or made arguments that have made me roll my eyes. Sometimes he'll regurgitate a line or two that your average low rent games journalist would say about the industry or gamers, but it is what it is.

Mostly he's a good entertainer that rants about crappy games or industry practices, basically you won't find an in-depth analysis video from his channel

I really want to like him, because the whole sarcastic, narcissistic persona thing is my cup of tea, but I feel like he overuses it. He's done a lot for the gaming industry, and I'm glad he exists, but he has a tendency to go too far.

Not totally convinced that the narcissism is a ploy, honestly. He's obviously playing it up for comedic effect but it feels like more of a way to undermine those who would criticise him than any actual desire to be funny. His non-Jimquisition content is garbage. He has no charisma when recording unscripted.

Tough question. I watch his videos frequently and agree with most of his opinions. His persona is way over the top, yet I prefer his delivery to someone like Yongyea that basically reads text off of a  screen like a new reporter. I guess I'd say I like him but wish his humor wasn't so juvenile. 

• Like 1

don't know him well but his story is kind of interesting...curious to see where his patreon-only salary leads him as it's quite a unique business decision for a vlogger...on the flip side, not much interest in his content...i like numbers and facts...the few vids I watched about microtransactions which were recommended as "you gotta watch this" had lots of strong opinions and numbers but very few actual facts...disappointed and not that naive...i guess I'll have to vote "no" since there is no "indifferent" option...any chance that the people who love him have never actually been involved in big business?...

Edited by ProfBambam55