Do you like Jim Sterling?

Wavergray

Do you Like Jim Sterling  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Like Jim Sterling

Yes, I do. I respect him for abiding by his principles come what may. That he'd rather be out of a job than have to compromise his opinions for a corporate puppet website about says it all in that regard, really. He's up front about things, and is very apt to own up to mistakes. He's crude yet witty, and a majority of his targets deserve what they get from him, and infinitely more.

He's really helped me deprogram somewhat from subconscious loyalty to brands and corporations (though Microsoft can still stick a yeast-infected duck's dork in their ear) and I've grown somewhat more conscientious in this respect. I say somewhat because, honestly, the immense corruption of the video game industry is just emblematic of the problems underpinning modern capitalism and megacorporatism overall. They're skirting an insane amount of laws in pursuit of achieving the innately unobtainable goal of constant growth, and the whole system is consuming people and the planet in equal measure. The system is in need of massive new regulations. Well, enough of that rant.

That's mostly my opinion on Sterling, as a person. His megalomaniacal dramatis persona is usually not my cup of tea, but he's just about self-effacing enough to make it work. If you can't maintain a sense of humor and levity in his field of socially conscious punditry, it's gonna take a huge toll on you. It's a very understandable response, and I can assure you that Jim's big ego isn't a patch on suited rat people like Guillemot, Pitchford, and Android Wilson. People say his sarcastic takedowns are dehumanizing, well, there isn't much left to dehumanize.

And I really like his reviews, even when I don't at all agree or care about whatever he's sizing up. He's pretty fair and objective, and offers constructice criticism when he can, even when he's reviewing a game he doesn't much like. His out-of-character content is a far cry from his more more well-known bombastic soapboxing, and makes for some very well-rounded content. Which is important, because it's easy to end up making superficially "repetitive" content when faced with the crimes of an industry that, like war, never ever changes.

• Like 2

I like and respect Jim Sterling for having the audacity to do what he does and be persistent in how he does it. He repeats himself and harps on the same topics over and over because this is an industry that has the memory of a goldfish, and people need to be reminded of these sort of things constantly because otherwise, no one would ever do anything about it (like all the awful business practices of Ubisoft, EA, Blizzard and the like).

• Like 1

Not really. Preface to this reply: It's been some years since I've seen one of his videos. I like that he's a good consumer advocate but other than that his reviews are quite poor. I don't like the persona, someone who signs off 'thank god for me' should have more material than same old 'DLC/tripple ayy = bad' rants and formulaic metaphors.

To be honest... his latest videos haven't exactly been the best. He's derailing more and more from talking about issues in videogames and more about tearing down the industry itself, focusing more about what happens behind the scenes rather than any actual bad practices that affects the games themselves. It's just gradually becoming a naming-and-shaming channel that worries more about social issues in the game industry rather than the mini-essays he was known for.

Shame. I rather liked his ideas and arguments. Now there's barely any of it, it's mostly just Jim angry at video game executives in the name of "justice".

• Like 2

That's the guy  with  the sperm in his face, right?

I see no difference in his moral compass, politics and valors than someone like Pitchford. The only  difference being the positions they're in.

There's an hyperinflation of youtubers pointing the obvious regarding current videogame's hemisphere, you can definitely find one who's less of a clown.

That's the guy  with  the sperm in his face, right?

I see no difference in his moral compass, politics and valors than someone like Pitchford. The only  difference being the positions they're in.

There's an hyperinflation of youtubers pointing the obvious regarding current videogame's hemisphere, you can definitely find one who's less of a clown.