Be careful gaming on an OLED.

RadiantFlamberge

https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-oled-tv-suffers-burn-in-from-4000-hour-test/

An LG OLED TV suffered some burn-in after 4000 hours.  Rtings has tested some 2017 LG C7 OLED TVs with a cycle of 5 hours on & 1 off, 4 times daily.  This kind of shoots down LG's claims that one of their OLEDs can last 30000 hours, or roughly 10 years worth of use, without burn-in. 

What a bummer.  One commenter on the video page had the problem within about 10 months on a TV that cost $3000, & swore off buying another OLED.

• Like 1

Why would someone leave an OLED open on the same screen for 4000 hours?
if you switch every hour or so this wil last 15~20k hours atleast...

i have 4300 hours ( 1 year 6 months since purchase ) on my OLED B6 and i got no burn in and you know how much i spend time on games lol

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hakoom said:

Why would someone leave an OLED open on the same screen for 4000 hours?
if you switch every hour or so this wil last 15~20k hours atleast...

What about gamers who use HUD? If they are expected to switch the TV over every hour to stop burn in that kind of negates the niceness of owning one.

Lol As an LG TV owner I'd rather advise people to stay away from that brand as far as TVs goes. They are not exactly made to last. Have an LED TV myself that has had numerous issues in the past now and I'm pretty sure that, whenever I upgrade my TV, it is not going to be an LG one. That's for sure. ?

2 hours ago, Haysi_Fantaysee said:

What about gamers who use HUD? If they are expected to switch the TV over every hour to stop burn in that kind of negates the niceness of owning one.

you wont leave a hud more than 3~5h on correct?

sometimes you have to cut down on things you do with the tv like switch the chanel or game

Just for the record, all types of screens can get burn-in including LCD screens however OLED TVs are more susceptible to it.

I’ve had a 2017 LG E7 since July last year and I use it for 35 to 40 hours a week for gaming. I’ve never had any issues with ghosting or burn-in. When I was looking for an OLED TV to buy I didn’t read anything about ghosting/ burn-in in any review. I don’t remember where I heard about it first but when I did I had a read up on it there were a few people who got burnt in images on their TV however this was most commonly because they left their TV on all day long particularly on news channels with scrolling headlines at the bottom of the screen which are always there. It did make me think twice about getting an OLED TV but in the end I still got it and I am very glad that I did.

Doing research before buying a TV will always be a good idea but personally I wouldn’t concern yourself with ghosting/ burn-in issues as the people who have this happen are few and far between compared to people who don’t have it happen. And the people who do have it happen weren’t treating their TV properly anyway.

Also don’t go thinkng that this is solely an LG problem as LG supplies OLED panels for every brand of TV including Sony and Panasonic. LG OLED TVs come with software built into them to minimise the chance of image retention like pixel shift which preiodically shifts the image on a screen by one pixel so an image is not in exactly the same place the entire time that a TV is switched on.

The last thing I’ll say is that if you want an opinion on whether or not to buy an OLED TV you are better off talking to someone who owns one and regularly uses it for gaming than going by someone who is testing one by using it in a way that you wouldn’t normally use it at home. I have my OLED TV on all day for gaming on weekends and I haven’t had any issues with it since I got it about 18 months ago.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

Here's another test from Rtings with some uniformity photos.  Set it to week 44 & you can really see the burn-in on CNN Live, especially at max brightness.

This one is a little more realistic than their other test, & suggests that OLEDs can burn in after about 4000-5000 hrs. of use.

I had a 42" plasma TV by Zenith, another LG brand.  It wasn't bad, but it was only 720p.  It was fine for PS3 or Xbox 360, but not too great with PS4.  I switched to an LG LED 1080p/43" one.

My original PS Vita with an OLED screen has not shown any issues, but I play it for 2 hours or less at a time & not every day.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Quote from the stream (2:45):

"This is a really extreme test that doesn't really represent real life usage."

I was hoping for real, extreme torture tests at that point. Slightly disappointed.

Conclusion: So burn-in isn't a concern unless you watch static images for thousands of hours. Same advice as plasma for however many years, got it. Again.

Edited by DaivRules
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 9:01 AM, Hakoom said:

you wont leave a hud more than 3~5h on correct?

sometimes you have to cut down on things you do with the tv like switch the chanel or game

That can happen easily in games with trophies to play X amount of hours that is beyond the amount of playtime you'd need to finish everything or doesn't carry playtime over multiple playthroughs.  Very often people just leave the game sitting to idle the remaining time.  I had one game that required to be idled for 50+ hours because they thought a play 100 hours trophy was a great idea in an about 40-50 hour long game that doesn't carry over playtime across playthroughs.  While it may not always be the HUD being left on, usually when idling its left on one screen or the in game menu.

Edited by ladynadiad

37 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

That can happen easily in games with trophies to play X amount of hours that is beyond the amount of playtime you'd need to finish everything or doesn't carry playtime over multiple playthroughs.  Very often people just leave the game sitting to idle the remaining time.  I had one game that required to be idled for 50+ hours because they thought a play 100 hours trophy was a great idea in an about 40-50 hour long game that doesn't carry over playtime across playthroughs.  While it may not always be the HUD being left on, usually when idling its left on one screen or the in game menu.

Idle? You can turn the tv display off