New Dragon Age!!

Dantes_994

1 minute ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

It's about time! Although, it looks like it's not going to be with us for a few years. https://www.usgamer.net/articles/dragon-age-4-bioware-ea-release

I hope that's not the case, announcing something so early can often tire the hype out. FF7 Remake and Kingdom Hearts 3 are good examples.

Most products get announcements a year or more ahead. "Hype" is what you should feel when you want a product that is coming out. That's how marketing works.

The people that claim to be tired of waiting for KH3 and FF7 will just hype again when the games release.  Hype and people are funny like that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spyro said:

PS5 launch title maybe. Also, I worry that, despite what they say here, it'll still be ruined. They did confirm games as service type elements some time ago for it. :( That shit has no place in Dragon Age. I hope they prove me wrong.

You were proven wrong with Inquisition. It had some services that were limited to the MP but the sp story was handle quite well. It tied in overarching plots from other Origins, DA2, and even the expansions. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Most products get announcements a year or more ahead. "Hype" is what you should feel when you want a product that is coming out. That's how marketing works.

The people that claim to be tired of waiting for KH3 and FF7 will just hype again when the games release.  Hype and people are funny like that.

Hype is a marketing strategy, primarily associated with sellable products and services and designed to make you feel that you need/want the thing that is being sold. I'm referring to - announcing a product which has an existing fanbase to build that hype, then going dark for months and years with no updates. Hype inherently is something that can only exist for prolonged periods of time provided the approach is organic - as in - providing a steady trickle of information and updates between announcement and launch - to preserve and maintain prospective customer backing. That's how marketing works. The latter didn't happen with KH3 or FF7. So I hope that Bioware will keep the communication going between now and when it eventually launches.

I'm sure that there will be some people who said they were tired of waiting who will 'hype again' and more power to them - but to say everyone will is a bit of a generalization. I was super psyched about KH3 when it was announced but I honestly don't really care about it now, i'm sure i'll pick it up somewhere down the line, but i have some indifference towards it. Same with FF7 which is almost completely silent, and has been, bar one of the lead staff members publicly stating that they announced it too soon.

Well, ignoring the fascinating discussion on "hype", I am personally, ummm, hyped about this. That being said, Bioware still feels like a studio in flux after the whole ME fiasco, so I'm tempering that hype. 

But come on - Solas!

20 minutes ago, Helmet_time said:

Hard to get hyped for something years down the road, but I hope, really hope they finally manage to live up to Origins. 

I know I certainly hope that they bring back that absurdly boring fight engine from Origins!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Hype is a marketing strategy, primarily associated with sellable products and services and designed to make you feel that you need/want the thing that is being sold. I'm referring to - announcing a product which has an existing fanbase to build that hype, then going dark for months and years with no updates. Hype inherently is something that can only exist for prolonged periods of time provided the approach is organic - as in - providing a steady trickle of information and updates between announcement and launch - to preserve and maintain prospective customer backing. That's how marketing works. The latter didn't happen with KH3 or FF7. So I hope that Bioware will keep the communication going between now and when it eventually launches.

I'm sure that there will be some people who said they were tired of waiting who will 'hype again' and more power to them - but to say everyone will is a bit of a generalization. I was super psyched about KH3 when it was announced but I honestly don't really care about it now, i'm sure i'll pick it up somewhere down the line, but i have some indifference towards it. Same with FF7 which is almost completely silent, and has been, bar one of the lead staff members publicly stating that they announced it too soon.

Actually, marketing can come into play before a product is up for sale. It is good idea to market your products before they hit stores...

This is why we have tradeshows for computer hardware, cars, video games, toys, etc etc

Turn on the TV(or Youtube) and see thousands of trailers for movies that aren't even out yet.

So save the "theory" and personal preference for a world that abides by what you want.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

You were proven wrong with Inquisition. It had some services that were limited to the MP but the sp story was handle quite well. It tied in overarching plots from other Origins, DA2, and even the expansions. 

Maybe, but things have changed at BioWare and EA since then.

I used to be a fan of Dragon Age and Bioware (DAO is still one of my favourite western RPG's) but I just don't give a damn about either of them anymore. Too many disappointments... People always point to Andromeda as the start of Bioware's downfall, but DA2 and Inquisition were bad games too.

And what's with them teasing games that are still years away from release? If you have nothing to share about the game then don't bother. Andromeda certainly wasn't worth the wait and I don't see this new Dragon Age game being worth it either... I do find it funny that they feel the need to assure whatever fans they have left remaining that games they actually care about are on the way. It reminds me of how Bethesda handled Fallout 76. The writing is on the wall for Anthem - I would be very surprised if it didn't bomb hard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spyro said:

Maybe, but things have changed at BioWare and EA since then.

Not much has changed since Inquisition. DA's misstep was with DA2. They corrected a lot of the complaints and DAI feels like Origns but a little bigger and shinier.  Andromeda has nothing to do with the DA team and the cause was easy to identify. 

I beg to differ @TJ_Solo, Origins was a much better game then Inquisition. The later was mostly an wanna-be open world rpg that simply lacked diversity. All the side quests were ridiculous because they basically happened in your quest log, or as a text popping up. Hardly any of them had a proper or interesting story but worst of all was the combat. It was fun to fight enemies but not to do it over and over and over again because of this idiotic spawn system that dropped a bear on you in the middle of an ongoing fight. But I admit it had a few good things, for one I actually liked the world although it felt empty for most of the time and the story was at least interesting.

Origin on the other hand had a great story and it didn't obscure itself with pointless activities and silly side quests. Ok, those board quests where sometimes really idiotic but at least you didn't have to do tons of them. But the game is far better when it comes to the combat. It had more depth and it was much more strategic, while Inquisition was a much simpler version of it. And it still sucks when you compare the combat cameras.

I agree with @Undead Wolf that this teaser is pointless. We don't even know if they'll ever finish this game! I don't see a future for BioWare if Anthem fails, but even if it doesn't I couldn't care less for a game that is years away.

• Like 1

I'll be happy with a new DA game if it gives you the time to realize who your character is.  Origins was the only game to do that.  I'm bothered by having my first one or two abilities assigned for me, and I need a healthy amount of backstory to click with who I'm controlling.

Oh, and for sanity's sake can melee characters please use ranged weapons again??  

Edited by IntroPhenom

Origins was a much better game then Inquisition.

I didn't make a claim to quality or subjective appeal.  I said DA:I was more like DAO than DA2, only bigger and shinier. For example you go to Redcliffe Village in Origins. It's a small area with a few house, cliffs, and castle/dungeon to romp around in. Inquisition has that too but Redcliffe Village is now surrounded about the entire Hinterlands to explore. It's not even open world. It's the same design as DA:O the areas are sectioned off places that you visit and re-visit, just bigger.

The combat was only lacking in the tactics department. There weren't a lot of ways to program how your team acted or responded without your direct input. Other than AI presets the combat in Inquisition is back to the basics of Origins.

Most side quests played out in-game and some having closure in Skyhold under the player's judgment. Perhaps you're confusing side quests with material requisitions. 

We don't even know if they'll ever finish this game!

This is the same fear you can have about any game announced at the VGAs, E3, PAX, or PGW. They are making something and expect to be able to complete it barring any unforeseen problems that would prevent them completely their tasks.

14 hours ago, Badkat18 said:

Everyone's over here arguing about hype, and which is a better game, and I'm over here sad that Solas has a different voice actor :'( Please Bioware, don't ruin Solas.... Not my Solas!!!!! 1f62d.png1f602.png

What?? No. :( 

Edit: Not sure where you got that from, but I checked his Twitter and he confirmed he will be voicing him.

Edited by Charizarzar

Yes you didn't make the claim but it still sounds to me that for you the game is on par with Origins, which in my opinion is not! Yes it is not an open world game but it tries to be one. I actually liked the smaller areas in Origins because they weren't so dull and empty as most of the areas in Inquisition. I agree that the Hinterlands is quite nice and interesting but the later locations aren't. That is the main issue I had when I played the game, apart from the combat. And no I didn't confuse the side quests with the material requests. I remember a lot of quests had a simple text popping up and then you go to a new location and you find another text, then some enemies popped up you fight them and it was over. No characters no, dialogues, no nothing. Yes there were quests that told a good story with dialogue and everything but the game does have too many of those meaningless side quests.

That the combat lacked only in tactic department is a bit of an understatement. It is still a simplified version and I don't mean the AI presets and the behavior. It may be similar to Origins but as you said it is only at the basic level. I played Origins six times and I never got bored with the combat because it had more options or depth then Inquisition but more importantly it had far less meaningless encounters with the same group of enemies like the one in Inquisition. I realise that this due to the horrible spawn system. Another thing that Origins did better is that you weren't restricted to only 8 skills. Yes I know you could change them at any time outside of combat but it felt unnecessary to me to restrict it. Having access to all your skill allowed for a much better combat experience. But one of the biggest and annoying thing for me was that a character rather often ignored my orders and attacked the wrong enemy or simply ran to another character. And I do turn of any AI in these kind of games.

This is the same fear you can have about any game announced at the VGAs, E3, PAX, or PGW. They are making something and expect to be able to complete it barring any unforeseen problems that would prevent them completely their tasks.

I again agree but there is a lot of pressure on BioWare from EA now since the Andromeda disaster, in terms of profit. So it is quite possible that EA shuts down the studio in case Anthem fails. And this is not my claim it is an open secret and many so called journalists made that claim in the past. But I sincerely hope that EA won't do that! I like BioWare and will always do. I just wish that they had the same creative freedom they had when they were not an EA studio.

And I actually enjoyed most of my time I had during my 300+ hours Inquisition session, believe it or not. ;) Don't let my profile fool you, I played the original version back in 2014 on my PC.

Edited by Durandal