Suggestion: Add comments to trophies

Didn't know that there was a similar feature at some point. Still, I don't think that guides should have completely replaced the 'Tips' feature. A LOT of games on PSNProfiles don't have guides, and a lot of them won't ever have guides. And for the games that have guides: what if you want to add some information that the creator didn't include or if you simply just want to update the status of that trophy (buggy, unobtainable, requirements changed)?

Edited by gameoncomrade
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gameoncomrade said:

Didn't know that there was a similar feature at some point. Still, I don't think that guides should have completely replaced the 'Tips' feature. A LOT of games on PSNProfiles don't have guides, and a lot of them won't ever have guides. And for the games that have guides: what if you want to add some information that the creator didn't include or if you simply just want to update the status of that trophy?

There are comments on guides you can use to add more info. Even if the guide creator doesn't add them, I know I look over them whenever I check out a guide. If it's something major (trophy not available anymore), the guide team will go in and edit the guides to reflect that.

If that game doesn't have a guide, you can always make a thread to discuss that trophy. I've done that in the past and even non-members of the site usually look at the trophy list and see the list of topics about it.  

6 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

If that game doesn't have a guide, you can always make a thread to discuss that trophy. I've done that in the past and even non-members of the site usually look at the trophy list and see the list of topics about it.  

And it's exactly this that I think should be changed, so that you can simply just click on a trophy and get information immediately about that particular trophy instead of browsing through the thread overview for a game to find a thread about that trophy (if you're lucky to find one).

Edited by gameoncomrade
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Isn't that thing available on another website?

Yep, and it used to be available here. Then it was locked to promote the guide feature and when the website was rehauled, all the tips were finally deleted. 

1 minute ago, gameoncomrade said:

And it's exactly this that I think should be changed, so that you can simply just click on a trophy and get information immediately about that particular trophy instead of browsing through all the threads for a game to find one about that trophy (if you're lucky to find one).

In my experience, tips aren't usually too up-to-date. A forum post can have more discussion on the trophy and would be updated if the situation changes and it can also show how many people have a similar experience/issue/workaround. More people are also more likely to chime in on a forum post then on a random tip, especially if it's an older game. A guide comment can leave a message to the guide creator who hopefully fixes it in the guide. 

I use to be in the camp of trophy tips because I wanted to contribute more. However, I now realize that I usually don't even utilize them on the other site and I just look at 1) trophy guide, 2) guide comments, 3) forum posts. Trophy tips are also usually flooded when a game is first released and a guide hasn't been created yet, so many times they are useless or completely wrong when the guide does come out

11 minutes ago, gameoncomrade said:

And it's exactly this that I think should be changed, so that you can simply just click on a trophy and get information immediately about that particular trophy instead of browsing through the thread overview for a game to find a thread about that trophy (if you're lucky to find one).

Usually people will refer to what trophy they're after in the topic title, and if not, they usually do in the thread itself so you could easily use the search function to find what you're after. I've had excellent luck with the forums here for tips, either with browsing and finding the info quickly or by asking questions via forum and having them answered pretty quickly.

Not opposed to what you're suggesting, just don't think it's necessary where the forums are as active as they are.

33 minutes ago, gameoncomrade said:

Didn't know that there was a similar feature at some point. Still, I don't think that guides should have completely replaced the 'Tips' feature. A LOT of games on PSNProfiles don't have guides, and a lot of them won't ever have guides. And for the games that have guides: what if you want to add some information that the creator didn't include or if you simply just want to update the status of that trophy (buggy, unobtainable, requirements changed)?

Why not make a guide from the game which doesn't have a guide? =)

55 minutes ago, gameoncomrade said:

As stated by @Kittet3, you can always put something in the comments section of a guide. I've done this for Under Night: In birth and have actually received some PMs thanking me (which was really nice to know SOMEONE thought it was useful). The only potential issue with the comments is that the guide writers moderate the comments, not the guide team. Therefore, it's possible useful tips could be deleted and NOT ADDED to the guides. I don't think most guide writers are jerks about it, but I have heard of it happening.

With that being said, this is why I think tips should come back. Not everyone has the time and resources to write entire guides. They take a lot of effort to write and can take a long time to finish. I was kinda shocked they got rid of them in the first place.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

As stated by @Kittet3, you can always put something in the comments section of a guide. I've done this for Under Night: In birth and have actually received some PMs thanking me (which was really nice to know SOMEONE thought it was useful). The only potential issue with the comments is that the guide writers moderate the comments, not the guide team. Therefore, it's possible useful tips could be deleted and NOT ADDED to the guides. I don't think most guide writers are jerks about it, but I have heard of it happening.

With that being said, this is why I think tips should come back. Not everyone has the time and resources to write entire guides. They take a lot of effort to write and can take a long time to finish. I was kinda shocked they got rid of them in the first place.

I remember the tips, but i also remember that not every trophy has a tip, which i think is the same as not having a guide. Guides bring the community more helpful tips overal than for a specific trophy. For example if a trophy has other trophies, or a specific action that only unlocks after a certain thing is done, then the tip can be non helpful for players that are not experienced in the game. 

There is a reason why they removed it after implementing the guide system.

Edited by Wuthg21
  • Like 1

This is one of the only aspects of the site that I think the other sites do better. I would love for it to be implemented here too. It doesn't have to be a matter of having either guides or trophy comments. Look how TrueAchievements does it. Perfect in my opinion.

To anyone suggesting using the forums to create a topic for that trophy - that's a terrible idea honestly. Sure, it's about the best you can do at the moment, but it's not a legitimate alternative to the feature proposed here. If I needed to find those trophy tips that are hidden somewhere in a forum topic, at that point I'm just going to Google and I'll end up on one of the other sites.

Adding a comment to the guide itself and hoping the guide writer sees it and bothers to add it in? Not a great way to share that information. I would say only useful for offering corrections, not for adding alternative methods. Especially when the guide writer was lazy to begin with... "Simply beat the game on Hard mode and the trophy is yours" - yeah thanks I would never have guessed that.

And "just write the whole guide"... Are you serious? I think you're missing the point of how useful having many different perspectives can be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wuthg21 said:

I remember the tips, but i also remember that not every trophy has a tip, which i think is the same as not having a guide. Guides bring the community more helpful tips overal than for a specific trophy. For example if a trophy has other trophies, or a specific action that only unlocks after a certain thing is done, then the tip can be non helpful for players that are not experienced in the game. 

Whether the game has a guide or not, every single trophy does not need a tip or comment, especially if the trophy is story related or th he description is clear cut.

What if there's no guide?

What if the forum is dead?

2 hours ago, Wuthg21 said:

I guess I should specify. I think tips would be okay to have if no guide is published for the game. Otherwise, they'd be practically worthless if a guide already walks you through it.

I'm in no way shape or form saying that tips should replace guides or be heavily relied on. Just as a quick reference to how to earn a trophy in a game if someone else found an exploit for a particular trophy that doesn't have a guide.

Obviously, every trophy won't have a tip, otherwise, there would be a guide for it or people could start collaborating to write one. I think this would be particularly useful for new games that don't have a guide yet, older games with a small player base, or for niche games.

But I think what you said though is probably the exact reason why they took them out. The tips lacked the continuity guides have, and it's easy to take trophies out of context of the full picture.

I've always been on the side that more options isn't a bad thing, but I can see both sides of it. The good and the bad.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I guess I should specify. I think tips would be okay to have if no guide is published for the game. Otherwise, they'd be practically worthless if a guide already walks you through it.

That's not even close to true. No guide can cover the same amount of ground as tips from various other perspectives. Just look at the other sites to see how useful comments can be in addition to the guide. Alternative methods, more detailed methods, updated methods as exploits get patched etc. Plus you can get actual feedback on what works or doesn't work from other comments instead of having to blindly trust that the guide writer knew what they were talking about. Guides would only be enhanced by the addition of trophy comments/tips.

I'm 50/50 on this...why?...

the know-it-alls who don't know it all...what I've seen happen with tips is inaccurate ones in a very accurate guide...for example, in a gta iv guide that has all information with regards to earning the MP trophies...some dude earns all the trophies the hard way and is so proud of his accomplishment he drive-by posts that awp is not glitchy, that noose is the best method for wanted, and that you need to win both modes of cops 'n crooks, all for one and one for all...these are all inaccuracies but someone reading the tips might think "great, i'll just do what he did"...

boosting thread tips...i don't know how many times I've seen a tip that is basically "I need this guys...add me...psn id : xX_killer_geezus_Xx"...

i like the idea for games without guides and for lame guide writers' guides...i see that it would likely require site moderation though if we assume that not all guide writers could manage their own content...

usually I'll pm a guide author if I think I have a contribution...most are really easy-going and pleasant to work with...if no response or a "f**k off...it's my guide" type reply I'll contact a mod and incite a 3-way discussion...only happened once so far and not on this site...

again 50/50 for me...

Edited by ProfBambam55