A Warning

Murasakyoru

Subnautica  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Have you played it on Steam?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes and I have finished it
  2. 2. Have you encounterd many bugs playing it on PS4?

• Yes
    • No, not yet
    • Yes! Sooo many bugs!
  3. 3. Are you planing on getting the Platinum now? Or wait until they fix the bugs?

• Yes! Of course! Ffff to the bugs!
    • My goal was to get the Platinum, but I am waiting for now
    • No, I don't care about trohpies
    • I am just swimming in the pretty water

First, let me just say this: I love Subnautica, it's one of my favorite games of all time, I have spent many hours playing it on Steam. I was super eager and excited to play it on PS4.

But as things are now, I would almost not recommend playing this on PS4. It's very buggy, sometimes laggy and constantly crashing. The worst part, it often crashed when I was saving... so many hours of gameplay got lost that way. Thankfully didn't that make the save file corrupted, but it made me nervous each time I wanted to save.

As of 2018, I would wait with playing this game on PS4, as the whole thing was more a frustrated experience than anything else. I had times when I fell through the world or got stuck in a wall. Had to destroy my first Prawn Suit since it got stuck in a Giant Coral Tube when falling down from the Moonpool. Forcefields I had removed suddenly came back after my game crashed.

Just... so much frustration. I hope they will fix everything in time.

Edited by Murasakyoru
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

I was really looking forward to playing this but because it's a technical disaster, I won't be getting it until they've nuked all the gamebreaking issues.

Yeah, it's a pain. Let's hope the nuke comes soon. Subnautica deserved a better start on PS4.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 14.12.2018 at 7:37 PM, Hokupe said:

Not sure whether 1.05 patched every crash, but I played a lot today and no single crash so far. Graphical bugs and some frame rate issues remain though, but honestly I don't care at all as long as I'm able to save ;)

Really?! ? Niice, I am very happy to hear that. ?

On 12/9/2018 at 5:32 AM, Murasakyoru said:

First, let me just say this: I love Subnautica, it's one of my favorite games of all time, I have spent many hours playing it on Steam. I was super eager and excited to play it on PS4.

But as things are now, I would almost not recommend playing this on PS4. It's very buggy, sometimes laggy and constantly crashing. The worst part, it often crashed when I was saving... so many hours of gameplay got lost that way. Thankfully didn't that make the save file corrupted, but it made me nervous each time I wanted to save.

As of 2018, I would wait with playing this game on PS4, as the whole thing was more a frustrated experience than anything else. I had times when I fell through the world or got stuck in a wall. Had to destroy my first Prawn Suit since it got stuck in a Giant Coral Tube when falling down from the Moonpool. Forcefields I had removed suddenly came back after my game crashed.

Just... so much frustration. I hope they will fix everything in time.

Do you have a PS4 Pro? That might be messing with your performance if you don't

On 3.1.2019 at 8:19 AM, FrostyMcNugs said:

Do you have a PS4 Pro? That might be messing with your performance if you don't

Yeeeah, my PS4 is the first original one. I had thought that might be part of the problem, but still, if the game doesn't perform well and acceptably on both the PS4 and PS4 Pro push back the release date. At least that's what I think.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know this is old but this should of been know. On Xbox one the game is a complete mess, I accessed the console commands which can show frame rate and the frame rate was like 20 on average. It even dipped to around 15 and 10 if I was close to certain islands and areas. Even on the X the game runs poorly. I'm not sure if the PS4 version fairs better or if they have both been patched but this game has been known to be poorly optimized and extremely buggy. 

• Like 1

Its pretty much the same on Ps4 pro.

Textures pop in, low framerate, etc.

Its like they optimized the very beginning areas so reviewers will say that the game is running well.

But if you go a little further, thats awful.

Even on pc, i think this game is one of the most overhyped of this generation.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was hesitant at first too, but now after 40 hours of game time I can say... it’s one of the best survival games for PS4 (and I believe i’ve played almost all the games of the genre). The way it handles inventory management and crafting is so much less clunky and about twice as more convenient than the average survival game. So much less time micro managing in inventory/crafting menus. Thank god! Also OP stated having come from the PC version first, which is undoubtedly the best most polished version. If you’ve played the PC version of any game, the console version will seem as a disappointment. 

That said, the issues and bugs they’ve all listed above are true actually even today still. BUT, it’s not as often or gamebreaking as you may be led to believe. And in a lot of cases can be avoided*. Just look at the trophy completion percentages and that will give you an idea just how playable and fun the game is. It’s a high percentage given that the game is easily over 50 hours to even 100 plus if your anything like me lol.

Just a few things to note

1 - the game doesn’t auto save, so time to relearn old habits! (I know, it’s crazy for 2019 but it’s got it’s plus sides as you can safety experiment and reload without repercussions)

*2 - the game remembers EVERYTHING, like every resource you drop, every fish you cooked that went bad, etc. and it will still be there days later when you return. With that in mind, this contributes to why a lot of people experience frame rate problems later on toward end game. There may be a ton of items you can’t see floating around hitching up your game. The game literally has no boundaries to how many items and stuff you can add to your base, so just be mindful. Like Don’t add 100’s of lights to your base!

This was a lot longer than intended, I may come back to edit, but Im posting now since sometimes my iPad will erase a message before I can finish. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, FEARTRAIN said:

I was hesitant at first too, but now after 40 hours of game time I can say... it’s one of the best survival games for PS4 (and I believe i’ve played almost all the games of the genre). The way it handles inventory management and crafting is so much less clunky and about twice as more convenient than the average survival game. So much less time micro managing in inventory/crafting menus. Thank god! Also OP stated having come from the PC version first, which is undoubtedly the best most polished version. If you’ve played the PC version of any game, the console version will seem as a disappointment. 

That said, the issues and bugs they’ve all listed above are true actually even today still. BUT, it’s not as often or gamebreaking as you may be led to believe. And in a lot of cases can be avoided*. Just look at the trophy completion percentages and that will give you an idea just how playable and fun the game is. It’s a high percentage given that the game is easily over 50 hours to even 100 plus if your anything like me lol.

Just a few things to note

1 - the game doesn’t auto save, so time to relearn old habits! (I know, it’s crazy for 2019 but it’s got it’s plus sides as you can safety experiment and reload without repercussions)

*2 - the game remembers EVERYTHING, like every resource you drop, every fish you cooked that went bad, etc. and it will still be there days later when you return. With that in mind, this contributes to why a lot of people experience frame rate problems later on toward end game. There may be a ton of items you can’t see floating around hitching up your game. The game literally has no boundaries to how many items and stuff you can add to your base, so just be mindful. Like Don’t add 100’s of lights to your base!

This was a lot longer than intended, I may come back to edit, but Im posting now since sometimes my iPad will erase a message before I can finish. 

I checked the official forums and my takeaway is that the game won't be fixed. Some topics:

Bug: There is zero support here

Is there an update in the make at all for this game?

6 hours ago, wildkatb said:

Anybody know... Does using a base trashcan reduce game clutter?

Seems like it does.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, fadingtrails said:

I checked the official forums and my takeaway is that the game won't be fixed. Some topics:

Seems like it does.

It's a shame this game will forever remain a buggy mess, because I was really looking forward to playing it but I can't be bothered to micro-manage how I play so I don't run into a lot of issues :(. I went through that sort of BS with the Fallout games and can't be bothered to do it again.

On 7/15/2019 at 9:44 PM, wildkatb said:

Anybody know... Does using a base trashcan reduce game clutter?

Yes it does, i highly recommend if you plan on getting endgame, cause dropped items will always remain where they are...

Also in response to the following posters (I want to avoid quoting clutter, especially ones that quote others)

The game runs well 95% of the time with only minor unimportant bugs going on. Nothing game breaking for me so far, just save often and don't forget to upload to cloud if you can. The game in its current state is playable, and well worth the 30 dollar price tag (I would of happily bought it at 60). 20 percent platinum owners proves how solid and complete it is. Also how good as it's a 50-100 hour game. I'd only not recommend if you're coming from PC, but that applies to EVERY game lol

I read a post by UNKNOWN WORLDS regarding PSVR version, and they stated getting SUBNAUTICA on consoles was a monstrous task on it's own vanilla version. So while nothing is off the table or abandoned they are waiting for the dev kit tech for it's engine to get better and more proficient until they can actually improve the game (For VR specifically but i believe this still applies to the above concern.)

And to the last guy above, i 100% understand being tired of constant inventory management, me too actually. I was bummed when i found out FO4 didnt improve this aspect at all from previous Bethesda games. But SUBNAUTICA minimizes this better and is more streamlined and convenient than any i've ever tried. It's still there, but id say it's about 50-60 percent less time spent. 

Edited by FEARTRAIN

To add, I looked at these links

On 7/15/2019 at 4:02 AM, fadingtrails said:

Seems like it does.

...and I’m surprised of the overwhelming negativity, the devs should hire (or rehire) a community PR manager to help themselves become more transparent to explain to people their position and what they are doing. Silence just leads to false speculation, especially from the more vocal, negative audience. I wish I could link the PSVR page I read that explains why there hasn’t been any updates yet.

1st, ambitious open-world survival games are incredibly complicated beasts to develop. Especially when made with only PC in mind initially, we’re lucky we even got SUBNAUTICA at all. 

2nd, the majority of players who were happy with the game don’t tend to take the time to comment or even write anything about it, which misleads those on the fence when they see overwhelming criticism on threads. One of them being me actually when it first released. Which is why I’m taking the time to say what I feel needs to be said now.

I platinumed this game in a week. There's a lot of pop in and if you move quick enough in the deeper areas you can sometimes glitch through the cave ceilings (which I actually found helpful when I didn’t want navigate through the intricate environments) but there isn’t anything broken about the game. Just don’t drop a lot of items on the ground. Use them, or don’t pick up things you don’t need.

Very simple platinum and the performance issues WON’T get in the way of getting said platinum.

Is the game perfect, no. Was the game lots of fun, yes.

Edited by TragicTravesty
I don’t proof read at all...hahaha
  • Like 4