how do i do online missions

melodicmizery

new to this and completely lost, i start a side mission or main mission and have no clue what im suppose to do. for example i go into the mail office this guy asks me to steal a wagon coming by.  nothing is marked anywhere of where it is so i go in the area he says its in and nothing shows up. no marker, nothing.

and if you try to move a inch people who are a higher level then you repeatedly kill you. you try to gather animals to sell them to a butcher, get shot in the head, try to pick herbs, get shot in the head. i have to start a free roam and go to the complete opposite side of the map just to be left alone. why dont they have private free roam

Yeah, that's a stranger mission which are side missions. Main quests are marked as the yellow circles on the map. I'm not sure why the one you tried didn't have anything marked unless it was a glitch but I didn't come across that happening. But for those side missions the game does tell you that other players can interfere. You also can but I'm pretty sure you have to be in a posse to do it.

As far as random players killing you, it's pretty much a gamble joining any free roam session. Some sessions people will leave you alone, others they will constantly kill you just because. Such is life in the Old West. The only safe spots from other players are inside the stores so if you are willing to coward it out you can just run inside a store where they can't bother you. Usually they run off and go after someone else if you do this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

Yeah, that's a stranger mission which are side missions. Main quests are marked as the yellow circles on the map. I'm not sure why the one you tried didn't have anything marked unless it was a glitch but I didn't come across that happening. But for those side missions the game does tell you that other players can interfere. You also can but I'm pretty sure you have to be in a posse to do it.

As far as random players killing you, it's pretty much a gamble joining any free roam session. Some sessions people will leave you alone, others they will constantly kill you just because. Such is life in the Old West. The only safe spots from other players are inside the stores so if you are willing to coward it out you can just run inside a store where they can't bother you. Usually they run off and go after someone else if you do this.

i think it must be a glitch, the main mission isnt telling me what to do after i go to it in blackwater. and then i tried that side mission and it didnt tell me where to go and it finally cancelled itself out, so i started it again and again nothing happened and i couldnt really do much. as i was trying to figure out what to do 2 guys decided to travel all the way across the map just to constantly kill me over and over. ugh. i read on reddit people are having issues getting missions to start correctly so maybe im just having bad luck. ill try some other ones and see if its any different.

6 minutes ago, melodicmizery said:

i think it must be a glitch, the main mission isnt telling me what to do after i go to it in blackwater. and then i tried that side mission and it didnt tell me where to go and it finally cancelled itself out, so i started it again and again nothing happened and i couldnt really do much. as i was trying to figure out what to do 2 guys decided to travel all the way across the map just to constantly kill me over and over. ugh. i read on reddit people are having issues getting missions to start correctly so maybe im just having bad luck. ill try some other ones and see if its any different.

Apparently your Honor rating also affects the way you get missions. So you might want to try replaying a main mission and pick whichever Honor choice you want to make while doing it. Or if that doesn't work then yeah, apparently leaving and going back into the game fixes it. I had a similar issue and for some reason the missions would appear again after I came back on.

13 hours ago, melodicmizery said:

and if you try to move a inch people who are a higher level then you repeatedly kill you. you try to gather animals to sell them to a butcher, get shot in the head, try to pick herbs, get shot in the head. i have to start a free roam and go to the complete opposite side of the map just to be left alone. why dont they have private free roam

The game gets better when you increase rank a little bit, and when you are able to buy some better guns.
The thing you describe I also still have that, but I try to avoid other players, and roam around the places where not many players are. But I am still hopng they implement a PvE or private sessions later on. It is a beta at the moment. And I am also kinda hooked to the horses races, they are so much fun. You can also earn money/xp with that one of you a more of an explorer (like me).

Got a mission to track down a wolf and the marker disappeared after I found the second clue. And it doesn't always start. Kind of annoying. :P Hopefully they fix it in a future update. I usually have to restart the game once I can't get them anymore and that isn't always a given. At least they're simple enough when they do work...assuming some idiot doesn't blow your head off. xD

Edited by Spyro
  • Like 1

Hunting and mail delivery seem to usually work, though I did have the hunting mission drop once. I did two more after that without a problem. So if you see delivery or on the hunt, take those. I didn't do many dishonorable missions, so not sure on those. If it quits working, restart the game.