Any tips for the challenges?

Milkyray

I just cleared the entire island and picked up all the collectables. Any tips on the challenges? Do I just unlock all mods first with less than 5 cogs and go for 5 cogs later? Or are 5 cogs possible without mods? I think these challenges are way more difficult than the rest of the game. I'm still having fun though.

• 1 month later...

The PSNprofiles trophy guide just links to the gear challenge youtube playlist, but the Playstationtrophies.org one has a forum post with a little more of a primer for the videos.

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/just-cause-3-a/279684-just-cause-3-challenge-guide-5-gears-all-challenges.html

I'd say 75% of the land races you can 5 cog with access to just the first level of boost. I would recommend turning off boost jump so you don't accidentally trigger it when doing a short boost. Motorcycle races are the pits, so select change vehicle and try the races with ATVs instead, they are a little more stable. That's a good practice in general, to go to change vehicle when you start the challenge to see if there are any better vehicle options then the one they give you by default. Some of the default choices are rather silly.

Plane / helicopter races you are not going to be able to 5 cog until you get specific vehicles and boost lvl 2, so just shoot for 3 or 4 cogs on a couple of attempts and then move on. Since you turn the plane with :square: and :circle:, boost and thrust are both mapped to R2. If you squeeze R2 at about 45% it will trigger a little extra speed without using boost. That way you can eek out a little extra speed while waiting for your lvl 1 boost to recharge. Once you get lvl 2 boost, it's more convenient to just completely release the trigger, since it recharges so fast you don't miss much by skipping going to 45% pull and then back to 100%.

The lack of ability to 5 cog at the start is the same with boats, a few you can 5 cog with boost lvl 1 in the default boat, but you will need boost lvl 2 to 5 cog them all. So shoot for 3 or 4 and then move on. Like in the land races, disable boost jump unless that course specifically requires it to jump over an obstacle. There are a few where it is required.

For destruction challenges remember that the timer starts when the first chaos object is destroyed, not damaged. For items like the transformers and the giant satellite dish that can take a lot of punishment I softened them up ahead of time with rockets / grenades. This is especially useful for the destruction challenges with excavators as you can destroy the crane and 7 of 8 of the engines ahead of time. Vehicle destructions add / refresh your multiplier, but do not have their value multiplied by it. So if there are a lot of vehicles around, use them to up your multiplier at the start, or keep it going when you have to travel a long distance to the next target. Completing scrapyard challenges to up the amount of tethers and tether strength will also help a lot for destruction challenges in which you don't have access to a helicopter as you can pre-place them on chaos objects at the start to get your multiplier up immediately. You could also save them for use if you are about to lose 8X multiplier, or to keep the multiplier refreshed if traveling a long distance to the next chaos object (such as in shotgun frenzy I).

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

For the air races I am using the last chopper where possible. A few will require the jet. Once you have lvl 2 nitro you can just hold it down and it will keep the speed at pretty close to max which is enough to finish the races with 5 cogs.

You can use the F1 car for most of the land races.

The boat races aren't too bad with the fastest stock boat and nitro II. The black boat control isn't great imo and the extra speed isnt required. Loochador kicks but you need DLC.

Try to find a heli or tank for the harder to do destruction frenzies. You can also prep everything ahead of time, drive a bunch of vehicles in a pile and start the challenge by blowing them up to get the 8x and then start on the chaos objects. You can also pull the doors off of some of the harder to explode items like the transformers etc. Then set up your 6 tethers to take down the easy stuff. Massive excavators can be damaged to 90%, just leave behind one of the 8 motor things.

Wingsuit challenges mostly just need practice. I found it helpful to unlock the wingsuit reel-in III and used it a few times to get past the finish ring.   I put a bunch of them off while I was doing the DLCs hoping to use the better wingsuit but I guess I'm not allowed to use it on the challenges in the base game. WTF, seriously, total BS. I digress. 

Shooting Range challenges can be made easier with precision aim unlock. It also helps to take several steps back from the spawn location to increase your FOV so you do not have to move your aim as far left to right! Its also more important to not break your combo multiplier than to hit every target and bullseyes are pretty much necessary to get the 5 gears.

Edited by audiopile
  • Like 1

You mean where you drive the vehicle around and collect the Bavarium?  

Use the hummer thing and tether the box very close to the rear of the vehicle, not far back where it spawns. I had it almost strapped to the bumper. This will give you better control of the magnet. Plan a route and drive around slowly (try to ignore the enemies, so annoying) and gather as much ore as possible before returning it. If you return a large quantity at once you will get a time bonus.  There is also the rare ore which gives bonus points.  Hope it helps. Also its best to do this one early to give you more tethers for other challenges. 

Edited by audiopile
  • Like 1

On 29-6-2019 at 5:33 PM, audiopile said:

You mean where you drive the vehicle around and collect the Bavarium?  

Use the hummer thing and tether the box very close to the rear of the vehicle, not far back where it spawns. I had it almost strapped to the bumper. This will give you better control of the magnet. Plan a route and drive around slowly (try to ignore the enemies, so annoying) and gather as much ore as possible before returning it. If you return a large quantity at once you will get a time bonus.  There is also the rare ore which gives bonus points.  Hope it helps. Also its best to do this one early to give you more tethers for other challenges. 

Thanks. I was about to throw in the towel on these ones. Useful stuff!