Don't let the Platinum rarity fool you

Long-Ryde

Well, platinum rarity often isn't very objective about its difficulty. Games like Dark/Demon's Souls are common but they aren't easy. Games like Entwined aren't difficult. They are just in PS Plus so many players turn them on and never finishes. I remember I had bigger problems with Motorstorm RC on some races than in COD World At War on veteran. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, HaserPL said:

Well, platinum rarity often isn't very objective about its difficulty. Games like Dark/Demon's Souls are common but they aren't easy. Games like Entwined aren't difficult. They are just in PS Plus so many players turn them on and never finishes. I remember I had bigger problems with Motorstorm RC on some races than in COD World At War on veteran. 

Interesting. My experience hasn't been that way apart from multiplayer games where the trophies are really rare sometimes for no reason. Generally the platinum rarity has very well demonstrated the difficulty of a game. It's how I base whether or not I'll play a game sometimes. Also, other than the remastered Dark Souls (which probably has veterans coming to revisit it, etc.) is the only souls game that isn't considered rare or under 20% IIRC which from my experience, matches well to how difficult it is. It's defintiely not a blanket statement saying that rarity = difficulty, but it does apply more often than not in my experience.

5 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

The only thing that I found hard personally is the one race that you don't get any weapons due to your vehicle being sabotaged. 

IMO, there's little luck involved in this game. After a few matches you can predict where the artifacts will spawn. I'll admit that the driving mechanics aren't sharp, but it's a kart racer, you can't expect them to be. 

My suggestion for the OP would be to try a different vehicle and upgrade your vehicles. Time trials are a joke with a fully upgraded vehicle and some cars flip due to them being lightweight. Both of these will solve your problems... Even for the death races.

That's so funny because that race was the one that tilted me enought o even write this post. I was glad that the sabotage was only for one race but upgrading my speed on a car really helped. The controls kind of drive me crazy (lol) but only when my cart goes horizontal after boosting in a straight line for so long. I'll definitely try more upgrades though. Thank you.

• Like 1

The upgrades have made my car uncontrollable lol. Turning is literally impossible even with attempting to drift, my car just turns sideways and flips 6 times before slowly reorienting itself backwards and requiring me to hold reverse for another 4 seconds until I'm then allowed to accelerate forward finally. I think I'm just going to leave this one unfinished haha. Definitely not worth the annoyances.

Especially unfortunate since the beginning of the game was so fun! I had a blast when all of my opponents didn't require me to have a maxed out uncontrollable mess.

Edited by Long-Ryde

1 hour ago, Long-Ryde said:

Interesting. My experience hasn't been that way apart from multiplayer games where the trophies are really rare sometimes for no reason. Generally the platinum rarity has very well demonstrated the difficulty of a game. It's how I base whether or not I'll play a game sometimes. Also, other than the remastered Dark Souls (which probably has veterans coming to revisit it, etc.) is the only souls game that isn't considered rare or under 20% IIRC which from my experience, matches well to how difficult it is. It's defintiely not a blanket statement saying that rarity = difficulty, but it does apply more often than not in my experience.

That's so funny because that race was the one that tilted me enought o even write this post. I was glad that the sabotage was only for one race but upgrading my speed on a car really helped. The controls kind of drive me crazy (lol) but only when my cart goes horizontal after boosting in a straight line for so long. I'll definitely try more upgrades though. Thank you.

I actually didn't upgrade anything until this point and then fully upgraded one vehicle and realized how much faster I go with upgrades. I didn't run into any issues after this, but I did have to make some adjustments driving and actually use the brakes! :P

Never judge a games difficulty on rarity, you'll find common %s being harder than expected and rare %s being bloody easy. Rarity is just purely how many people got it out of the playerbase, it's nothing more, it's not a difficulty rating.

Some of the easiest games I've played in the last few years have platinums around the 1% region and some more difficult ones have been around the 10-20% region.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 12/10/2018 at 0:46 PM, JohnCenaSong- said:

Never judge a games difficulty on rarity, you'll find common %s being harder than expected and rare %s being bloody easy. Rarity is just purely how many people got it out of the playerbase, it's nothing more, it's not a difficulty rating.

Some of the easiest games I've played in the last few years have platinums around the 1% region and some more difficult ones have been around the 10-20% region.

Case in point, Bloodborne.

Bloodborne is probably the hardest game I have played where the platinum is still an uncommon. It is a difficult game for that high of a percentage.

On the flip side, games like Dust: An Elysian Tail are much easier than their sub 10 percent platinum may suggest. A lot of people probably only played it for a couple hours at most then dropped it for something else. It's no more than a 3/10 or 4/10 in difficulty.

Dead Space 2 was more difficult for me than most of the ultra rare platinums I have, and that may have to do with it being a fantastic game back when it came out and people stuck with it.

Marvel's Spider-Man and Horizon Zero Dawn both have rather high trophy percentages even though you have to spend a good 25 - 40 hours to get those platinum trophies. Likewise a number of Playstation Plus titles that are indies have very low trophy percentages, yet I've heard from many that some of those games are rather easy than what their rarity might suggest otherwise.

Also take note of how many game owners there are. A game that only has 1000 - 2000 game owners with an ultra rare platinum can very well be extremely difficult.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Bloodborne is probably the hardest game I have played where the platinum is still an uncommon. It is a difficult game for that high of a percentage.

On the flip side, games like Dust: An Elysian Tail are much easier than their sub 10 percent platinum may suggest. A lot of people probably only played it for a couple hours at most then dropped it for something else. It's no more than a 3/10 or 4/10 in difficulty.

Dead Space 2 was more difficult for me than most of the ultra rare platinums I have, and that may have to do with it being a fantastic game back when it came out and people stuck with it.

Marvel's Spider-Man and Horizon Zero Dawn both have rather high trophy percentages even though you have to spend a good 25 - 40 hours to get those platinum trophies. Likewise a number of Playstation Plus titles that are indies have very low trophy percentages, yet I've heard from many that some of those games are rather easy than what their rarity might suggest otherwise.

Also take note of how many game owners there are. A game that only has 1000 - 2000 game owners with an ultra rare platinum can very well be extremely difficult.

Spider-Man is very easy, i did it in 15 hours without any guide...

7 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Spider-Man is very easy, i did it in 15 hours without any guide...

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2019-10-31 at 1:53 AM, Spaz said:

Since I posted before, I finally got a chance to try this game and I mostly have one thing to say.

Avoid this game. 

The buttery controls, the cheap AI, the rubber banding, the sheer frustration on some of the tracks, this game will likely piss you off. 

All I have to say.

Amen to this. Wish I saw this post before I started lol.

From what I’ve experienced so far, I certainly wouldn’t call this game “hard.” But it’s just so full of bullshit that I can tell already I’m going to really have to kick my own ass to actually commit to finishing it. It’s already getting on my nerves, especially the requirements for earning gold medals in every race as I find myself having to redo each race 2-3 times in order to secure gold most of the time, and it’s already making it feel like this game is going to be one long, painful ride.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Vice versa. Don't let these threads fool you. If I would avoid every game where people are complaining I would never experience some hidden gems or great games like Mafia 1 -.-

For me personally I enjoyed this game and got my 100% adventure mode in 10 hours. Of course you fail 1 or 2 races but that's why there is a RETRY button.

There is only one race which really sucks and that's where your car is sabotaged (which is the reason why OP started the thread which is totally fine) but having a fast car solves this problem.

Btw: You don't need any upgrades in this game. I did the first 3 cups with standard cars which I have unlocked through progressing the story and in the yellow cup I only played with the Daxtermobile.

Here is how you unlock the Daxtermobile which is explained by Skotafactor in another thread:

"The car is available once you select “scan for secret characters” in the secrets menu, as long as you have a save file for the Nathan Drake collection on your console."

The story was nice. The controls were ok. Can't wait to play Jak 2 and 3.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I just started the Yellow Eco Trials, the last section.

I was a little worried based off of this post but glad I started it.

The first two groups were easy as pie but the larger classes on Blue Eco Cup will spin out on you. Fall back and use rockets when you have them, tap your breaks before using your handbrake around turns and gas and turbo out of the turn, and finally, watch the way the vehicles weight is shifting - if you oversteer or give it too much gas you’ll shift into a wall instead of bumper caring around it.

Best of luck precursor bros. 

Edited by Wagszilla

• 3 months later...

Just finished this one. Was a bit afraid, for some reason thought all the circuit races on Yellow Eco would be without weapons but it's just the one, so although really annoying, it's still manageable (and glad they kept all races to just 2 laps, in the end it's gonna happen).

Didn't upgrade anything, just armour on one of them (to be honest didn't see any difference).

- For Death Race just get the quickest car available, the ones from the last category you could easily reach and kill them with your car, sometimes was easier done like this than with weapons (looking at you useless grenades...)

- And for Rush Hour, the heaviest with most armour are godlike for those, they can just plow through endlessly.

In the end was not that bad, had quite some fun (had my moments as well) but it's like any 'kart' race game, sometimes it sucks to be first and get recked on last corner, sometimes it's amazing to get first on the last corner.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/11/2023 at 3:26 PM, bikeman223 said:

Hm, now I'm not sure what to think. I'd be more disappointed to have an uncommon platinum that I couldn't earn than a rare one. 

I've learned to sit with incompletions if my enjoyment is entirely gone. Especially if enjoyment is lost due to jank or BS in games.

ALSO--

It's weird that even reminiscing about this game gives me annoying BS feelings in my gut, which I have even less tolerance for than I did 4-5 years ago.

I think about revisiting this game from time to time, but I just remember some of the trophies giving me a ton of trouble for silly reasons. Like killing 100 enemies in a death race to get gold, but the game doesn't spawn 100 enemies across my race. Like WTF? You're wasting my time now, come on. That kind of shit in games makes my dick soft dude and I refuse to spend my time on games that don't present me the resources to win -- as dramatic as that might sound.

--Side note--

I had a similar thing in GOW3 which I haven't finished to this day -- One of the challenges was like "Kill 60 enemies" or some shit, and they'd only spawn like 50ish in the timespan given. I'd have like full-on 5 second periods where I'd be doing nothing, no enemies spawning, NOTHING then I'd fail the challenge. Keep it lol I'll play something else.

• 11 months later...

I was a little worried seeing this post before starting the game. But it really wasn't that bad. A few races in the Yellow Cup were a little frustrating but pretty much everything else only took one or two attempts. I could see how the platinum percentage is a little higher than expected since I wouldn't be surprised by many being turned off early on by the controls. I wonder how many who got the platinum had played the original back in the day.