Should I use a guide or play blind?

Grample_Gust

EDIT: I've completed the game with this wonderful 100% trophy guide in-hand. I definitely recommend this route.

Heard this game is fantastic and decided to pick it up, and during my research I found a trophy guide which specifically stated to "play with a guide" from start to finish as it's the "most fun." 

Since then I've been conflicted. What do you think? Should I go in solo or use a guide for this game? Keep in mind I've never played it before. Thanks in advance for the tips!

Edited by shananiganyo

Well, using a guide you can plat this game in roughly three hours, so I'd recommend playing blind and clean up any trophies you might have missed on the second run. If you like point and click adventures and dark humour you'll really enjoy this game; it's much more fun without a trophy guide spoiling everything.

Maybe two tips: Turn on 'Tank Controls' before starting to play to get one of the most annoying trophies out of the way on the first run and exhaust all dialogues in order to obtain the vast majority of all missable trophies. Have fun. :)

• Like 3

Playing blind will be difficult. 

Some mates and I played it when it was first released on PC back in the day and maybe got half through. This was way before Google so there was no chance of easily searching for a guide.

This is a great game and it will still be enjoyable using a guide.

• Like 1

The one game I would recommend not playing blind.  Puzzles will drive you to psychotic delirium and having to play the entire game again for wrong decisions or missed trophies/conversations will make you swear off gaming in general.  Well, maybe not that extreme, but definitely a challenging game (without the guide!). :P

• Like 1

Personally, the gameplay isn't what I enjoy about these games. It usually just consists of you going around each area using every item with each other/things in the environment. I mean sometimes the puzzles make sense, but many other times the solutions are so nonsensical that I would have never figured it out by myself. I really do enjoy the story/writing from these old LucasArts games, though, and a guide just cuts out all of the frustrating parts. So yeah, I would definitely recommend using a guide unless you enjoy puzzle solving in these kinds of games.

• Like 2

As someone who almost always loves blind playthroughs and grew up in the era of point-and-clicks, DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME WITHOUT A GUIDE. The puzzles are stupid and ruin an otherwise great game.

This is the only game on the PS4 that I know of where you're actually doing yourself a disservice by going in blind.

• Like 4

Blind, games like this are typically pointless with a guide. The real fun of this kind of game is working things out etc.

Playing most games with a guide right away usually takes away from the experience anyway, but games like this even more so...

Blind or not at all. Unless you just want easy trophies, then go for it, knock yourself out.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I’d say play with a guide but that’s just me. I played the original release, I had to quit because I couldn’t progress anymore. Completely stuck and no internet to help out back then. I am now replaying the game right now with a guide, mostly because I enjoy the story. I finally want to see how it goes ?

If you do play blind just know (and be okay with) that you will miss most trophies. In fact you’ll lock yourself out of the first one the moment you start playing as you wouldn’t think to turn on the stupid tank controls. 

EDIT given the age of this thread obviously OP doesn’t care about my reply but perhaps anyone else reading this later will ?

Edited by Sifferino

• 3 months later...

Of course you should play it blind. Playing poin't and click adventure games with a guide is pointless. Whole purpose of this genre is solving puzzles, by using a guide you take it all away. If you are smart, you should be able to complete a game by yourself. Of course, when you are stuck for 2 hours, it can be frustrating, but the greatest magic about experiencing this king of games it trying to solve puzzles for hours. Sometimes the best solutions appear in your mind when you are away from game - for example, when you are in a bus, school, work etc. :)  And when you solve a puzzle by yourself, you feel like the smartest man on earth :) But that is just my opinion   :)

And if you get stuck and need a hint, use this tips instead - they don't spoil fun:

http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/grimfand.php

Edited by Kristmas2
  • Like 3