Top 5 favorite & least favorite platinums in 2018

ObsiEez

It's that time of the year again where we look back on what we've accomplished this year & look back on all the fun platinums (& annoying ones) we've got this year. So I ask you guys, what is your top 5 favorite & least favorite platinums you've got this year? The game didn't have to come out this year, you just have to have platinumed it this year, with that done, here's mine.

Favorite:

1: Ni no Kuni 2

2. Horizon Zero Dawn

3: Dark Souls

4. Dragon Quest Builders

5. L.A Noire

Least Favorite

1. Lords of the Fallen

2. Final Fantasy 12

3. Drawn to Death

4.Assassin's Creed Origin's

5. Claire x2

• Like 1

Favorite:

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Assassin's Creed Rogue Remastered

Kingdom Hearts

Least Favorite:

Arcania

Star Trek

Samurai Warriors 4 Empires (game was fine...but some of the trophies...no.)

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep (Great game. Horrible plat.)

Red Faction (this mainly stems from the game just being so old and a pain in the nuts to play on the hardest difficulty)

• Like 4

Favourite: 

Spider-Man 

Spyro the Dragon 

God of War 

Persona 4 Dancing All Night (PS4) 

Cat Quest 

Least Favourite:

Detroit Become Human

- (loved the game but got a bit tired going

through it a third time) 

Chaos Child 

Energy Invasion (PS4) 

Monster Jam Crush It 

- (the sound effects were so bad, the controls were janky, very ‘meh’ game) 

SiegeCraft Commander

- (didn’t enjoy this one) 

• Like 1

Very Enjoyable Plats:

- Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

- Skyrim (PS4)

- Bloodborne

- Oxenfree

- Trine 2

Unpleasent Plats:

- Albedo: Eyes from Outer Space

- RocketsRocketsRockets

- Duke Nukem (PS4)

- Slyde

- Killzone 2

Choosing the 5th entry for the not enjoyable plat was the hardest part here :D ... it was a tie between Bleach, Killzone 2 and Fifa 17 in all cases for 1 or 2 very grindy trophies. Killzone 2 was chosen because of the high amount of time needed for Valor Grand Cross.. but Fifa took a huge amount of money to boost :gold:Trial of Power :( 

• Like 1

This year was fairly productive in completeing some of the backlog, I enjoyed most of the platinums I earned this year, but there are two that I could have done without. The only reason I played DTD was because of the servers closing down, and I only played Rapture since it was a “fast and easy” platinum.

Favorite:

-Salt and Sanctuary

-The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

-God of War (PS4)

-Red Dead Redemption

-Monster Hunter: World

Least Favorite:

-Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture

-Drawn to Death

• Like 1

Favorites:

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Probably my favorite game of this generation. The graphics, the setting, the characters, the voice acting, the gameplay, the atmosphere, everything I feel is top notch coming from a developer who cares about their audience.

2. Demon's Souls - One of the best games of the PS3 generation. The atmosphere is nearly unparalleled. Some of the game mechanics and graphics are dated, but this definitely goes to show where Dark Souls got it's inspiration from. 

3. Rogue Legacy - Fantastic indie rogue like platformer from Cellar Door Games. Very addictive gameplay with a sense of humor. 

4. Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics - My early childhood in a nutshell. Shame that Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Ecco the Dolphin weren't included in this collection. 

5. Downwell - The hardest platinum I achieved this year. Got frustrated with the game at certain intervals. Tough game with a steep learning curve, but extremely satisfying. 

Least Favorites:

1. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within - Very dated graphics and controls made worse by the fact you have to play through this game THREE times because difficulty related trophies don't stack. 

Awful gameplay mechanics. The heavy metal music doesn't fit. The bigger enemies in the game were a pain in the ass to beat. Sound was all over the place with how loud and quiet the enemies and the Prince were respectively. 

Lots of backtracking in one playthrough, made worse because you have to play this game three times. The dark, hardcore theme of this game didn't work. The only positives I can say were that I was fighting half naked sexy ladies in the game, and the Prince himself had a decent voice.

There is also an opportunity to completely fuck up your playthrough if you miss out on certain collectibles. A game breaking glitch resides at the last sand portal.

2. Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones - Was only half as bad as Warrior Within. Prince was back to his goofy self. Gameplay mechanics just like in it's predecessor were awful. The narrator you could barely hear through your speakers. And furthermore, three playthroughs you have to do to earn the platinum. Sound was bad, combat was cheap.

3. Ratchet and Clank: Full Frontal Assault - Basically a lower budget Ratchet game. This was specially designed with co-op in mind but thankfully I got all the trophies solo. Stupid story involving a narcissistic nerdy kid living in his mother's basement. Was a pain at times trying to maintain my base. Also the trophy for grinding X amount of miles is shit.

4. Broken Age - Ok to mediocre voice acting from a Kickstarter crowdfunded project.

Has a pointless speed run trophy and a ton of missables for a point and click game. Didn't give two shits about the guy or the girl. Overall a game that is forgettable soon after you finish it. 

5. Resistance: Burning Skies - First platinum I achieved in 2018. 

So so gameplay with so so acting. Requires a boosting partner for the multiplayer trophy. Easily the worst game in the Resistance series. The story was stupid involving a fireman bent on saving humanity. 

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

Hmm... Probably not going to be in any particular order, since I liked so many games.

Favorite

1. Celeste. Awesome soundtrack and gameplay. Assist Mode makes the platinum less frustrating than it could have been. (Also the understatement of the year.)
  2. A Hat in Time. This is what Yooka-Laylee should have been. Fun game, original levels, and a challenging (yet hassle-free) platinum.
  3. Yomawari: Midnight Shadows. Horror and cuteness shouldn't go together, but it somehow does here.
  4. Valkyria Chronicles 4. I can't stress enough how much I love this series. The platinum was a little tedious towards the end, but I'm to blame for that.
  5. Blackwood Crossing. This was the year of sad games for me, but Blackwood Crossing stands above the rest. I couldn't even get the platinum in one sitting because of that.

Least Favorite

1. Fill-a-Pix: Phil's Epic Adventure. Do yourself a favor and play Pic-a-Pix Color instead.
  2. Resident Evil Revelations. Raid Mode can shove it.
  3. Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life Special Edition. I LOVE the Harvest Moon series, but this broken game made me almost pull my hair out. Platinum took twice as long as it should have.
  4. Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles. Same as above, but this time by design. There isn't enough content here to warrant the time it takes to get the platinum.
  5. Foul Play. Not a good game. Quickly turns into button-mashing boredom.
Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 3

Favourite

Bloodborne

Horizon Zero Dawn

Yakuza Zero

Darkest Dungeon

Nier Automata (planned 150th)

Least Favourite

The Dwarves

Valley

101 Ways To Die (Alphabet pick)

Monster Jam Battlegrounds

Far Cry 3 (went back to it after years and was pretty disappointing)

I was really pleasantly surprised by DD and Yakuza 0, platinums are kind of difficult/time consuming but I really loved the games. Bloodborne, Horizon and Nier were as great as I was expecting. 

The Dwarves, Valley and Monster Jam were pretty disappointing games but easy atleast, 101 WTD was mostly meh with the occasional frustrating section but not so bad and FC3 despite being by far the best of the worst was not nearly as good as my memory of it from closer to release. Was pretty underwhelmed by FC4 this year too. 

Edited by UK-Danny-93
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Cassylvania said:
  1. A Hat in Time. This is what Yooka-Laylee should have been. Fun game, original levels, and a challenging (yet hassle-free) platinum.

I was hoping Yooka-Laylee would be like Super Mario 64 or Banjo Kazooie. Absolutely loved those games as a kid back in the day when Nintendo didn't quite suck.

I'll probably pick up A Hat in Time, though cutesy characters just isn't my style.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

Top 5:

1. Rogue Legacy

2. The Surge

3. Dark Souls Remastered 

4. Life is Strange: Before the Storm

5. Cosmic Star Heroine

*Special honour* - Hitman 2 

(no platinum, but the best game for sure)

Didn’t hate any game I played this year, so I’ll decline doing a worst list.

Top 5 Favorites:

Watchdogs 2

God of War 

Mafia 3

The Witcher 3

Assassins Creed Origins 

Top 5 least favorites:

Killing floor 2 (great game but it's a hell of a grind) 

Driveclub (8 hours playing the same race, with the same car over and over again is not fun) 

Adam's venture Origins (heard it was like uncharted, spend the next 5 hours crying while playing this shit) 

36 fragments of midnight (easy plat, horrible game) 

Little adventure on the prairie (another easy plat, horrible game) 

Favorites

Horizon Zero Dawn: Such an amazing game. This one hit all my "happy gamer" triggers

God of War: Not what I expected, but in a good way

Adventure Time Pirates of the Enchiridion: 100th platinum and as a fan of the show this one was a lot of fun

Bloodborne: Chipped at this one for over a year. Finally clicked and it's probably one of my favorite games ever now.

Nioh: Samurai swords... 'nuff said.

Why did I play these? I feel dirty category

Little Adventure on the Prairie 

Wheels of Aurelia

Jack N'Jill DX

Fullblast

Midnight Deluxe

Favorites:

Marvel's Spider-man

Spyro The Dragon

Donut County

Life is Strange: Before the Storm

MLB The Show 18

Least Favorites:

Goosebumps: The Game

Lego Movie: The Videogame

Energy Cycle

I have earned 13 platinum trophies this year. I am hoping to finish up Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage before the end of the year. Backlog is ever expanding, but I am graduating college in 7 days so it may be a revolving door of unfinished games.  

• Like 1

I took into account multiple reasons why a plat should be my favorite or my least favorite (difficulty, rarity, fun) and came up with this:

Fav:

1. Monster Hunter World - a long platinum trophy and my game of the year

2. Mega Man 11 - It was my first long MM experience and I really liked this game

3. Star Ocean The Last Hope - with 500 hours the longest plat in my collection and I was proud of having the patience to finish it a second time

4. Skullgirls 2nd Encore - I would say, it was probably one of the more difficult I got this year but those difficult combo challenges were super fun

5. Shadow of the Colossus - It was one of the 4 games I platinumed as the first one in the world this year, but definitely my favorite one of them, since I simply love the game

Runner Ups: Unravel 2, Persona 5 Dancing in Starlight, Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Meh:

1. We Happy Few - what an abysal piece of crap this game was, glitchy as hell unfinished game which I hope will never get any DLC trophies

2. Vampyr - 1st in the world again but at what price... I hated 90% of it, combat was fine but all the rest was simply bad... performance, story, gameplay...

3. Guilty Gear Xrd Sign - I love fighting games, that is no secret but the trophies for M.O.M. mode in this game were extremely boring and tedious..

4. Fallout 4 - it wouldn't be as bad but the building stuff was super boring and it felt forced in order to expand the lenght of the story. Building stuff bored me after the first time...

5. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture - a walking simulator without much happening througout the whole 6 hour experience, I could have left the game out and wouldn't have missed much

I have earned 37 platinum trophies this year which sounds ok to me, considered I finished 2 games with a lenght of 330 and 500 hours respectively. I have also managed to finish Shadow of the Colossus, Vampyr, Guacamelee!2 and Soul Calibur 6 as first in the world. I would say my trophy hunting year was quite succesful.

Top 5:

5. MLB the show 18

Satisfying to finally get one after playing the series for years.

4. God of War 

Great game with the right amount of variety and challenge. 

3. A Way Out 

Easy, but had a great time playing through with a buddy. 

2. Nier Automata

Buying trophies with in-game currency was a revelation. 

1. Tacoma 

I had very little expectations with this game but I came away absolutely loving every moment. Because it's a narrative heavy game I avoided looking at the trophy list at all until I had finished. To my surprise the clean up cost me almost no extra time and showed me some cool things I missed. 10/10 must play imo. 

I'll pass on a bottom 5 list because I still loved the other games I platinumed in 2018. Some games are fantastic but just have very plain, by the numbers trophy lists. Marvels Spiderman for example. 

Edited by daPIANIST
Grammar, formating

My top 5 of 2018 plats 

1. Marvel’s Spider-Man

2. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Remastered

3. Wolfenstein: The New Order

4. Final Fantasy 12

5. Assassin’s creed Origins

The worst games I got a platinum in

1. Little Adventure on the Prairie

2. Cars race-o-rama

3. Word search by POWGI 

4. Goosebumps: The Game

5. Dying: Reborn

I know the word search game is just that. But it just would never end. Worst part about it I did it on both the PS4 and Vita. 

Fav

1. Ratchet and Clank PS4

2. The Last of Us Remastered

3. The Evil Within 1

4. Resident Evil Revelations 2

5. Titanfall 2

Least Fav

1. Monster Jam: Crush It

2. Nubla

3. Orc Slayer

4. Albedo

5. Little Adventure on the Prairie

Favorite:

1. Far Cry 5

2. Uncharted 4

3. Detroit: Become Human

4. NHL 17

5. Madden NFL 19

Least Favorite:

1. FullBlast

2. Guardians of the Galaxy

3. Batman

4. Batman: The Enemy of Within

5. The Walking Dead: A New Frontier

I enjoyed all of the “least favorite” games, but if you have a pulse, you get the platinum.

Honorable mention to Life is Strange: Before the Storm.  I enjoyed that game more than I expected!

Edited by djb5f