PS4 2018 Year Review

SensaiGaia1

Off the top of my head, the top games I played this year (regardless of release date, and in no particular order)

- God of War

- Valkyria Chronicles Remastered

- Rainbow Skies

- Horizon Zero Dawn

- Doom

With Honorable mention to Swords of Ditto.

I wrote this in a different thread but I guess I'll post it here too...

Hmm, this is a really tough one. There were two games that came out this year which I absolutely fell in love with: Monster Hunter: World and Valkyria Chronicles 4.

If I have to pick just one, then I think Monster Hunter just about takes the win. It's a game I wasn't even anticipating - I bought it on a whim with a friend of mine. I look back on the first month or so of its release very fondly. I distinctly remember clocking over 100 hours in a short period of time, yet it felt more like 10. There are very few games I can say had the same effect on me. I still get the urge to go back and play it despite already having the platinum. :D

Valkyria Chronicles 4 on the other hand was a game I had high hopes for ever since it was first announced. The first game is one of my favourites and VC4 is no exception. It was such an emotional roller coaster - a lot of moments where I couldn't help but laughing out loud but also times where I really felt the characters pain and sorrow, even bringing me to the brink of tears myself. And to top it all off, the gameplay was excellent. It was such a great experience and I'm glad I invested in the collector's edition. :)

And screw it, I haven't played that many games at launch this year, so I'll just list my top 5 4 (the ones I feel are worth mentioning).

1. Monster Hunter: World
  2. Valkyria Chronicles 4
  3. Tetris Effect
  4. Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise

And just to be clear, I own Red Dead Redemption 2, but I've only dabbled in the multiplayer, so I don't feel that it would be right to put it on my list anywhere. It seems very good but I don't see myself liking it more than MHW or VC4.

Probably about my top 10 picks
1. Shining Resonance Refrain
2. Spider-Man(Spyro the Dragon Reignited Trilogy)
3. God of War
4. Red Dead Redemption 2
5. Assassin's Creed Odyssey
6. Soul Calibur VI
7. Shadow of the Tomb Raider
8. Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise
9. Sword Art Online Fatal Bullet
10. Detroit Become Human or Call of Cthulhu

Spyro isn't on the list officially since it was my top 10 list probably when I played it on PS1, but it would be the 2nd slot if I included it.
And I haven't quite decided on which game I liked more between Detroit Become Human or Call of Cthulhu yet.

On 12/15/2018 at 1:24 AM, Rafinha_Mikinha said:

God of War

Red Dead Redemption 2

Divinity: Original Sin 2 (haven't finished it yet because my gf isn't as much into it as the first game 1f611.png)

Pretty much same for me, but I still flip-flop on God of War and Red Dead Redemption 2. Would add Subnautica and Dead Cells to round out number 4 and 5.

Spider-man was a quality game for sure, but a little bit too familiar in the Saint's Row/inFamous type games.

My favorite big release I'd say was Spiderman. Liked God of War but not my fav. I just got back into Monster Hunter kind of. I'm still looking to get Dragon Quest XI and possibly RDR2 (though I can wait for that one). Not ps4 related I was into pokemon let's go Pikachu for a bit until I got to the annoying parts and stopped.

The only 2018 releases I played were Detroit: Become Human, Little Dragons Cafe, and Spyro: Reignited Trilogy. Oh and Vampyr but I've not played enough of it yet to reach a verdict. 

I'd say Detroit: Become Human was my favourite as it's the only one I got obsessed enough with to complete very quickly  (the first play-through took me 5 days - and I think I took a 2 day break due to being too busy to play those days) and only one I bothered to platinum before the end of the year. LDC may join it but it just isn't comparable in any way honestly.

Spyro: Reignited Triology is naturally amazing but I feel like the nostalgia is a huge part of that. I've been wanting this to be re-released for ten years (that's around the time motion sickness prevented me re-playing the PS1 titles) and I'm so glad it's finally here. Guess I'm mentioning it here more as an honourable mention. :P 

Since I've played 'older' games this year I have to include them:

Oxenfree
Marvel's Spider-Man
NieR: Automata
What Remains of Edith Finch
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Hitman 2
Remember Me
Far Cry 5
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Castlevania Requiem: Symphony of the Night & Rondo of Blood