How Tough?

DrakeHellsing

It's harder than I expected, and probably harder than it should be considering it has a really cool premise that could appeal to more casual platforming fans.

Its entirely beatable but there are definitely some frustrating levels. The early ones really irked me because I didn't have double jump yet and lot of the jumps were pretty tough to make. Then some of the late levels are super long and if you die you have to restart at the beginning of the level.

Edited by tylerh1701
  • Like 2

On 12/15/2018 at 7:09 PM, tylerh1701 said:

It's harder than I expected, and probably harder than it should be considering it has a really cool premise that could appeal to more casual platforming fans.

Its entirely beatable but there are definitely some frustrating levels. The early ones really irked me because I didn't have double jump yet and lot of the jumps were pretty tough to make. Then some of the late levels are super long and if you die you have to restart at the beginning of the level.

When do you get the double jump? I'm on 3-1 (zx spectrum) and I'm struggling on getting one of the pixels. Shoudl I have the double jump by now, or should I keep trying? No youtube videos yet, and all of them are of 'life of pixel' where they have double jump from the start.

EDIT: Nevermind, saw on the PS4 forum of this game that a guy still doesn't have it on 3-6 so I just have to figure out how to get that pixel without it.

Edited by KyonKuchiki

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2018 at 6:58 PM, tylerh1701 said:

You get the double jump on the last level of chapter 3. You can go back to earlier levels and beat them much more easily with the double jump.

Just started playing it today and I wonder, do all levels also have fruits on them? As World 1-1 seems to have nothing secret in there, so not sure if all worlds have fruits.

And yeah, some of these levels, the timing in jumping is a pain, especially hopping over small areas over an enemy, such as a corridor, the hitbox is a pain, but still a neat game regardless.

On 1/3/2019 at 10:25 PM, DrakeHellsing said:

Just started playing it today and I wonder, do all levels also have fruits on them? As World 1-1 seems to have nothing secret in there, so not sure if all worlds have fruits.

And yeah, some of these levels, the timing in jumping is a pain, especially hopping over small areas over an enemy, such as a corridor, the hitbox is a pain, but still a neat game regardless.

Not all levels have fruits. The whole first world doesn't have any secrets except the gems as far as I remember.

• 3 weeks later...

This game is awfully designed. The lack of checkpoints in longer levels (it's just fake longetivity), random movement of enemies (this is the reason why ZX Spectrum level 6 is such a pain to hardcore) and invisible spots with hazards like spikes, fire etc. (muscle memory to the max instead of reflex) are the biggest offenders. It just takes the bad elements from 90' NES games and puts them here, unchanged.

Personally I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone except most dedicated masochists, and even for them there are much better games to play (or wait for The End Is Nigh that is coming this year). Nice music, awesome idea of stages from different eras and two version of game with two different trophy lists don't justify buying it in my opinion (and seriously, I admire people who had the patience to get through this game 2 times).

EDIT: Well, after getting the plat and chilling a bit, I think I was a bit too harsh. After conquering everything game threw at me, I feel it was pretty fun and rewarding game and it's kinda kicked my ass because I wasn't prepared for this type of challenge. It's definitely not for everybody though. I'm also planning to make a short guide to platinum on PS4 version forum.

Edited by sashamence
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2019 at 4:06 AM, sashamence said:

This game is awfully designed. The lack of checkpoints in longer levels (it's just fake longetivity), random movement of enemies (this is the reason why ZX Spectrum level 6 is such a pain to hardcore) and invisible spots with hazards like spikes, fire etc. (muscle memory to the max instead of reflex) are the biggest offenders. It just takes the bad elements from 90' NES games and puts them here, unchanged.

Personally I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone except most dedicated masochists, and even for them there are much better games to play (or wait for The End Is Nigh that is coming this year). Nice music, awesome idea of stages from different eras and two version of game with two different trophy lists don't justify buying it in my opinion (and seriously, I admire people who had the patience to get through this game 2 times).

EDIT: Well, after getting the plat and chilling a bit, I think I was a bit too harsh. After conquering everything game threw at me, I feel it was pretty fun and rewarding game and it's kinda kicked my ass because I wasn't prepared for this type of challenge. It's definitely not for everybody though. I'm also planning to make a short guide to platinum on PS4 version forum.

This definitely has the 1990s vibe to it.

It's closer to the Genesis and SNES titles than it is NES. NES was 8-bit with a lot of very difficult platformers including the Ninja Gaiden games.

But these games pretty much have to have a save feature or some sort of modern convenience just to please the newer generation of gamers. Those old games from the 1990s were not easy, you had to be pretty good to beat a lot of them.

Maybe I'll pick it up.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Spaz said:

This definitely has the 1990s vibe to it.

It's closer to the Genesis and SNES titles than it is NES. NES was 8-bit with a lot of very difficult platformers including the Ninja Gaiden games.

But these games pretty much have to have a save feature or some sort of modern convenience just to please the newer generation of gamers. Those old games from the 1990s were not easy, you had to be pretty good to beat a lot of them.

Maybe I'll pick it up.

Several people claim it's a good return to the past. I have not played much on consoles before V generation (era when I started to play games for real), so I wasn't prepared for a checkpointless ride. And considering your gaming experience, you'll probably enjoy this game more than me. Difficulty-wise I'd compare it to Crash Bandicoot, but beaten blind without checkpoints. A frustrating feat, but manageable and you feel you've improved. There's something in this game that keeps you returning.

Edited by sashamence

On 1/28/2019 at 10:58 AM, sashamence said:

Several people claim it's a good return to the past. I have not played much on consoles before V generation (era when I started to play games for real), so I wasn't prepared for a checkpointless ride. And considering your gaming experience, you'll probably enjoy this game more than me. Difficulty-wise I'd compare it to Crash Bandicoot, but beaten blind without checkpoints. A frustrating feat, but manageable and you feel you've improved. There's something in this game that keeps you returning.

In a way I feel sorry for you guys who weren't able to experience the old classics. The NES and SNES generations had so many epic, fantastic games that are still enjoyable to play today. But of course the N64 era was fantastic as well, Super Mario 64, Goldeneye 007 and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina are some of my favorite video games of all time.

My sister who is 38 years old had a NES and I picked that up from her. My dad in his mid 60s played a lot of old PC games and I picked those up from him in the same fashion. I guess in a sense I was a very lucky kid.

This game is not for everyone. It targets people like myself who grew up on those older consoles. As a guy who grew up on hard, checkpointless rides, this should be a fair challenge.

• Like 2

It has it's problems but I would still say it's worth playing, and worth a platinum run if you like it. I'm not a fan of the cheap difficulty tricks such as the hidden spikes, or enemies suddenly changing direction as you're jumping them. Something like Celeste has much classier design in my opinion without relying on these things. Also hit detection can be somewhat inconsistent, and levels don't have checkpoints. But hey, the concept is fun, some of level theming is actually pretty cool, and the platforming is decent. 

• 3 years later...

In my opinion this game is a solid 6 or 7/10 difficulty, at least on the Vita. The main levels are okay, and I don't even get why someone else mentioned ZX Spectrum level 6 : once you get double jump it's completely manageable. It doesn't remotely compare with the difficulty of some special collection levels, that were pure hell. Most are painfully long and require high accuracy.

The speedrun trophy was a nuisance as well because I needed to shorten my global time by 35 minutes ! It went better and faster than expected though. After going through the special collection, the first levels felt so easy that I was able to be super fast and get the platinum by the SNES levels. I didn't have to speedrun the last levels, thank God.

Edited by JeManquedHygiene