Sony: PS4 doesn't have DRM

Lady Lilith

But... but... television! sports! Call of Duty! realistic fish movement! 

wouldn't you guys rather pwn noobz with your bros while guzzling mountain dew and munching on doritos, while skyping, and watching a movie, and watching the superbowl? PS4 just focuses on games, like it's trying to be some sort of... video game console, like  for nerds and gamers, instead of hardcore, red-blooded all American bros

• Like 4

As of right now, it looks like a landslide for sony! They're saying and doing all the right things while Microsoft is just talking about all these stuff that we really don't care about. However, Microsoft has to have something up their sleeves! They've been really successful for a reason. I'm sure that at e3 they'll come out strong. Still, no matter what they announce, I already know what next gen system I'll be playing.. Ps4!

Edited by FU3RTE717

wouldn't you guys rather pwn noobz with your bros while guzzling mountain dew and munching on doritos, while skyping, and watching a movie, and watching the superbowl? PS4 just focuses on games, like it's trying to be some sort of... video game console, like  for nerds and gamers, instead of hardcore, red-blooded all American bros

if you want television go buy a tv set with tv channels

you want to see sports, then go buy tickets to super bowl (???)

it's good sony does this, if they going with drm all the way I wont buy that console, but now when i can buy it i will buy it

xbox one to be a tv i already have tv and a tv box transmiting the channels i want to see, i don't need a console to do that

• Like 1

Sony has already won just by showing up and not being as*holes !!

Great Angry Joe signature bro! Is that from his XBox One rant? Because if it is, its SOOOO appropriate :)

Is this sarcasm?

I think some sort of fee for used games is inevitable in the next generation. I just think Sony is smart enough to make the publishers the villains instead of themselves.

I was thinking the same thing ... still hoping they keep it likte it is now: pay a nominal fee for unlocking online features on used games.

if you want television go buy a tv set with tv channels

you want to see sports, then go buy tickets to super bowl (???)

it's good sony does this, if they going with drm all the way I wont buy that console, but now when i can buy it i will buy it

xbox one to be a tv i already have tv and a tv box transmiting the channels i want to see, i don't need a console to do that

Great Angry Joe signature bro! Is that from his XBox One rant? Because if it is, its SOOOO appropriate :)

Is this sarcasm?

Yes that was sarcasm!

In all honesty, I'm glad to see that Sony isn't going down the same suicidal path that Microsoft is going down. I am also glad that Microsoft's insistence on banking everything they have in the CoD fanbase is causing most of their once loyal customers to start switching over to the PS4. I love how Sony is really focusing on games and how they are really pushing their independent game publishing initiative. But what saddens me is that the Xbox One will most likely sell more than the PS4 because of all that crap they are trying to cram into a gaming console, while the PS4, the console that will focus on games, indie devs, and (hopefully) continue the trend of amazing exclusives will fall to second place in this upcoming console war. 

Edited by HELLHOUND403
  • Like 1

Yes this is sarcasm!

In all honesty, I'm glad to see that Sony isn't going down the same suicidal path that Microsoft is going down. I am also glad that Microsoft's insistence on banking everything they have in the CoD fanbase is causing most of their once loyal customers to start switching over to the PS4. I love how Sony is really focusing on games and how they are really pushing their independent game publishing initiative. But what saddens me is that the Xbox One will most likely sell more than the PS4 because of all that crap they are trying to cram into a gaming console, while the PS4, the console that will focus on games, indie devs, and (hopefully) continue the trend of amazing exclusives will fall to second place in this upcoming console war. 

Hellhound, do you hear that sound? that's you earning +1 respect from me :) 

• Like 1

Valve have DRM on everygame and yet they sell shoveloads of games per hour.

Not a valid argument for or against PS4 ;)

I don't think comparing Valve and PC gaming to console gaming is entirely fair. Valve is so successful because they have DRM that isn't completely intrusive and it was something that was genuinely needed in the PC gaming industry. Piracy isn't nearly as bad on consoles so DRM has no place in my living room.

And honestly, people aren't complaining about DRM in general, they're complaining about the way Microsoft is going about it. If Microsoft implemented something like Valve people wouldn't be as upset, but to require your home console to connect to the internet every single day or you can't play it? That, my friend, is insane and ridiculous. So yes, Sony not forcing you to have internet to play a single player game you bought is a major argument for the PlayStation 4. In my opinion, of course.

Parker

• Like 2

I don't think comparing Valve and PC gaming to console gaming is entirely fair. Valve is so successful because they have DRM that isn't completely intrusive and it was something that was genuinely needed in the PC gaming industry. Piracy isn't nearly as bad on consoles so DRM has no place in my living room.

And honestly, people aren't complaining about DRM in general, they're complaining about the way Microsoft is going about it. If Microsoft implemented something like Valve people wouldn't be as upset, but to require your home console to connect to the internet every single day or you can't play it? That, my friend, is insane and ridiculous. So yes, Sony not forcing you to have internet to play a single player game you bought is a major argument for the PlayStation 4. In my opinion, of course.

Parker

Actually Piracy isn't so bad on PS3 - it was a massive problem on xbox360. Valves success is more due to price rather than DRM, I mean how many were up in arms in regards to second hand games, although most buy digitally anyway ... As long as any DRM is unobstrusive it's fine to be fair. My PSN+ games need to me go online every so often too.

I also think that it is not because Sony say the console will not have built in DRM that it's actually important. DRM is often software based, and why would EA/Activision/UBIsoft not add this kind of thing if they get away with it on the Xbox? They have a tendancy to actually make massive mistakes each time and take it off afterwards. I can't see any reason why that would change.

So end of the day this is Sony making sure they come out smelling of roses after Microsoft made a biggy - the console is capable of doing it and it could be that they decided to pull the plug on that afterward. They are still being very evasive to be fair.

EA removed online passes, that was not because they were being nice...

Sony is doing the right thing, thank you Sony!

Does anyone else find it drop-dead hysterical that M$ had months to capitalize on improving their new console announcement, since PS4 was announced in February, and they still failed in epic fashion?