You can now change your PS Store region [EU]

thelapsukainen

Saw this picture on Reddit and checked out the store on my own PS4 as well so I can confirm it's legit.

4gtLsP9.jpg

The list of countries/regions include Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom.

No idea if this is only available in EU, maybe someone from NA can check out the store on their console? The store region tab should be between PS Music and Library in the PS Store.

24 minutes ago, Armored Squirrel said:

So I'm confused by this, since UK would use pounds, while most other European countries would use Euros. How would the store compensate for the two currencies?

I'm going to guess that you'll still need a payment method from that country. 

Changed from my default Swedish store to Great Britain just to see what happened.

No search function. Unable to buy anything since GB is not my default store.

Why am I able to browse other region stores but not able to purchase anything?

Every week there's games not available in certain EU countries in the PSN Store update, why not unify the EU PSN Store instead, or even better, a Global PSN Store.

USELESS FUNCTION!!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sephiroth4424 said:

How hard would it be to buy PS points with your currency and then buy whatever you want from any psstore

That's why I don't see the purpose of this function. You'll still need to login on your fake other-region account if you want to buy something.

21 minutes ago, dzstrpc said:

That's why I don't see the purpose of this function. You'll still need to login on your fake other-region account if you want to buy something.

another e-mail and remembering either the same password or something different. i can agree with that.

55 minutes ago, dzstrpc said:

Are you not able to add a new payment type to your account and use the store? I imagine this feature is for those who move to a different country, so maybe you have to completely update your address/payment type before it lets you do anything.

What? No Brexit jokes? \(//∇//)\♡

I wager this new addition to the PSN storefront was done in response to the new geo-blocking regulation of the EU and, therefore, applies to the 28 member states of the European Union. Also to Norway and Iceland (down to EEA agreement?). Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia happen to be missing from my drop-down menu (on the web store) but I don’t know if they have their own individual substorefronts in the first place. 

Sony hasn’t been - and still isn’t - blocking access to other region’s PSN stores in the casual/traditional meaning of the word, but they’ve been trying to redirect customers for years (in a multitude of ways throughout those years, actually):

7-E84910-E-7-DF5-4-B8-C-AA87-29284-EC7-A

So, it’s likely that the new option to change the storefront wasn’t added by Sony to encourage customers from EU countries to go shop in their fellow states’ PSN stores, hence dealing with all matters related to payment is still entirely up to the customer. 

Edited by Fenrirfeather

On 12/15/2018 at 6:37 PM, thefourfoldroot said:

Hopefully just a step along the road to being able to change regions to Asia and US. Perhaps why Sony have been censoring to "global standards". Not sure if I would care to do this with all Japanese material censored though. Little point apart from sales. 

Agreed :D But still it's a step in the right direction :D 

Does that mean we (EU) can buy NA avatars now? I'd really like that Dark Souls: Remastered avatar bundle.

EDIT: You can only change between EU countries and all EU countries have the same things in PS Store. Basically useless function.

Edited by Dark Prince

On 15.12.2018 at 7:06 PM, dzstrpc said:

Changed from my default Swedish store to Great Britain just to see what happened.

No search function. Unable to buy anything since GB is not my default store.

Why am I able to browse other region stores but not able to purchase anything?

Every week there's games not available in certain EU countries in the PSN Store update, why not unify the EU PSN Store instead, or even better, a Global PSN Store.

USELESS FUNCTION!!!

Game owners dont buy license to sell games in psn store in some regions. For example game Invoker is absent in russian store and i cant buy DLC for this game. I cant buy DLC for EndWar cause Ubisoft did not get license to sell it in my store. Sony will lose money from unification