Is this game good?

I really enjoyed it, and the game brings plenty refreshing ideas to the genre. It definitely does have its issues though, and it's the sort of game you either love of hate.

I'd recommend watching Angry Joe's review if you have 20 minutes spare ;)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I don't read or watch reviews in general, but I've found several of Angry Joe's entertaining (though none have affected my purchases as proven by me owning several of his badly rated games) ^^ Anyhow, Dragon's Dogma is overall good in my opinion, especially with some of the new additions made by the Dark Arisen expansion.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Dragon's Dogma is overall good in my opinion, especially with some of the new additions made by the Dark Arisen expansion.

I go againsta lot of what Joe says because I find very few flaws in this game.  Its one of my favorite RPGS of all time right now.

yes and yes.

Love this game. For as challenging as the game can be especially with the Dark Arisen release, looking over the trophy list, it does seem surprisingly less difficult to attain than other games. It's also a very immersive game with a lot of content... I find myself on a particular quest and get side tracked doing other things along the way. Anyways, working my way to platinum and would definitely recommend the game as well. It's got grit, very reminiscent of Dark Souls/Demon's Souls.

This is one of the best RPGs out there.

If not THE best.

Why?

- most epic battle against a dragon in a RPG ever

- you can shoulder a companion and carry her around while she fidgets with her legs

- difficulty is static

- thats why progression feels rewarding

- when you kill a difficult Boss or Miniboss you feel like ... YEAH I DID IT !!

- animations are the best i have seen in a 3rd person RPG

- Dungeons and Areas are superb

- Lightning and Spell Effects especially in dungeons are superb

- Best Day and Night Cycle ever seen in a RPG

- Items look actually nice

- The Cloaks look really cool

- The Lantern System is pretty cool

- You can fill bottles with water and throw them on Fire-Elementals to reduce their dmg

- Your companions (pawns) are actually quite intelligent and aware of your current quest and give hints or carry fallen pawns to you so you can revive them

- Boss and Miniboss-Fights are awesome, you can climb on bigger ones to target specific body parts, like specific armor-plates on a Cyclops

There are some things that are annoying though:

- especially in the first 5-15 hours the game may seem pretty difficult and frustrating

- companions talk way too much

- companions tend to walk faster than yourself when looting, so they loot the big chest first (which is no problem, cause you have access to their inventory)

- sometimes you wish your pawns away

- the facial expression of your character in cutscenes

- side-quests are a bit boring

For me it is a mixture of Dark Souls and a 3D Version of Baldurs Gate somehow.

I give it a 9.2 of 10

Edited by Cyphron79
  • Like 1

This is one of the best RPGs out there.

If not THE best.

Why?

- most epic battle against a dragon in a RPG ever

- you can shoulder a companion and carry her around while she fidgets with her legs

- difficulty is static

- thats why progression feels rewarding

- when you kill a difficult Boss or Miniboss you feel like ... YEAH I DID IT !!

- animations are the best i have seen in a 3rd person RPG

- Dungeons and Areas are superb

- Lightning and Spell Effects especially in dungeons are superb

- Best Day and Night Cycle ever seen in a RPG

- Items look actually nice

- The Cloaks look really cool

- The Lantern System is pretty cool

- You can fill bottles with water and throw them on Fire-Elementals to reduce their dmg

- Your companions (pawns) are actually quite intelligent and aware of your current quest and give hints or carry fallen pawns to you so you can revive them

- Boss and Miniboss-Fights are awesome, you can climb on bigger ones to target specific body parts, like specific armor-plates on a Cyclops

There are some things that are annoying though:

- especially in the first 5-15 hours the game may seem pretty difficult and frustrating

- companions talk way too much

- companions tend to walk faster than yourself when looting, so they loot the big chest first (which is no problem, cause you have access to their inventory)

- sometimes you wish your pawns away

- the facial expression of your character in cutscenes

- side-quests are a bit boring

For me it is a mixture of Dark Souls and a 3D Version of Baldurs Gate somehow.

I give it a 9.2 of 10

Agree completely with your post. Game is epic. I'm still only on Stage 2 of the main storyline/quests cause I've been grinding a lot of Bitterblack Isle, as well as just exploring Gransys on my own, really enjoying it. Doing a lot of the side quests as well. Game is enthralling. By far one of the best RPGs I've ever played. The best way I can describe this game is like a single player MMO... It has all the elements of an MMO yet it's single player which is effen funktastic!!! AND... I don't know how new or old this news is but I read they are developing a PS Vita version of the game. Just read that today and I'll say, this will be the reason that will make me finally get a Vita if Capcom follows through and releases it. http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/07/dragons-dogma-quest-announced-for-ps-vita

Edited by Altergigo

• 5 months later...