Hard mode glitch "fix"

Terminus124

I'm currently playing the game myself, and have read about this infamous hard mode trophy.  Some of the chapters I've been playing were so difficult with the QTE segments (like the punching bag when Tiffany comes to Lucas' apartment, the boxing match, basketball game, and the one that REALLY irritated me- "The Storm"), that I actually changed the difficulty to easy for some of those real hard segments, and after getting through said part, switch it back to hard.

Yes, I know it would automatically void the trophy, but I just wanted to ask from some people just in case- would switching the difficulty during a certain part in a chapter void the trophy right away, even if you change it back to hard?  Dumb question I know, but before playing this game, I've played David Cage's other games with Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Become Human (his best one), and the QTEs are HORRIBLE.  Thankfully from Heavy Rain onwards, they've become more refined, but man!  I positively loathe how they are in this game.

I don't even see myself getting the platinum for this one, knowing how infamously glitched this hard mode trophy is.  And I'm sure many can agree- Some games aren't worth 100%ing.

• Like 1

Beat the game on Hard mode yesterday - no surprise: no trophy unlocked. Replayed Child's Play one time, while making a mistake and restarting from the menu: no trophy. Tried for a second time, made no mistakes: trophy unlocked. Obviously not sure if having to use a continue/restart actually matters but that was my experience.

So I would definitely agree that replaying that specific chapter should be your first step when the trophy glitches on you. Thanks to whoever found this out.

Edited by DharmaInitiate

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2022 at 6:43 AM, Furyguts said:

I'm currently playing the game myself, and have read about this infamous hard mode trophy.  Some of the chapters I've been playing were so difficult with the QTE segments (like the punching bag when Tiffany comes to Lucas' apartment, the boxing match, basketball game, and the one that REALLY irritated me- "The Storm"), that I actually changed the difficulty to easy for some of those real hard segments, and after getting through said part, switch it back to hard.

Yes, I know it would automatically void the trophy, but I just wanted to ask from some people just in case- would switching the difficulty during a certain part in a chapter void the trophy right away, even if you change it back to hard?  Dumb question I know, but before playing this game, I've played David Cage's other games with Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Become Human (his best one), and the QTEs are HORRIBLE.  Thankfully from Heavy Rain onwards, they've become more refined, but man!  I positively loathe how they are in this game.

I don't even see myself getting the platinum for this one, knowing how infamously glitched this hard mode trophy is.  And I'm sure many can agree- Some games aren't worth 100%ing.

The punching bag, boxing match, and basketball game are not required, because you can pass a level without winning them. In fact, I have never once been able to beat either of these on Hard, and I have the trophy.

For the storm, the sequences are fixed. So a slow and annoying but reliable way to beat this is to play it once writing down every sequence on some paper. Then just play by immediately pausing after each time you hear the "ok" sound, reading the next sequence off the paper, unpausing, and pressing the buttons immediately. Rinse and repeat. As you inevitable automatically memorize some of these, you will be able to do it 2-3 sequences at a time.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My experience might help:

I finished the game in hard mode but the trophy didn't pop, so I was convinced it was glitched. I proceed to repeat the Child's Play chapter several times but again, no trophy. I realised later that the trophy had already unlocked the first time, just when I finished the game in hard difficulty, but the only problem is that it hadn't pop on my screen...

Hope it helps.

• 1 month later...

That trophy and a couple of others did glitch out for me. I beat the game 3 times and still didn't get the difficulty trophy. The first time i played, i went for the options menu in-game and toggle some audio and subtles options. Not sure, maybe it voided the trophy. Tried to repeat "The Child play" chapter after that for 10 times without a result. Then I started the game again, using the same login. Finished it and still it didn't pop. I deleted the game, deleted all the save files, then reinstalled the game, finished it again on a clean slate for a 3rd time and got squat. Then i copied my save files to usb, loaded "The Child play" chapter again. In that chapter i didn't alarmed any guards. After Lucas caused a distraction with a rock, i continued to control him and not Marcus, and went for the next section, where Lucas said that he needs to wait for Marcus. Usually Marcus was the one waiting for Lucas, now i played it the other way around. Not sure if it was important, but after that i got the trophy and a platinum. Trophy poped during the next Oracle cutscene.

I failed every unimportant QTE for Carla, Tyler and Lucas. I didn't do any side tasks: basketball and etc. I think it doesn't matter, as long you complete the game.

So for me "The Child's play" and a clean slate profile was the key.

I already played this game on a PC in 2006, i even remembered it quite well. But i didn't realize that these QTE were so bad. I think on a keyboard it plays a lot better. I had to plug in my old PC monitor to be able to keep the pace. For some reason on a TV screen i was always failing every prompt. I didn't memorize the QTE or anything, on a monitor it was ok. The L1/R1 sections were still a pain, though. I was losing them constantly. Had to replay the Oracle fight on a finish line a couple of times because of them.

Edited by nobody815

• 3 weeks later...

I can support nobody815's suggestion.

Did just one playthrough, difficulty set in the options menu before starting, skipped tutorial,

visited the options menu many times during the game to set audio, and never used chapter select.

Lost in boxing, basketball, guitar, etc. Also lost many lives on the rooftop.

Naturally, the trophy did not pop!

I reloaded Child's Play via chapter select, saving over my original save (third/bottom option), nothing happened on my first rerun.

Then on the second rerun, I made sure the guards did not notice me, and when I needed to distract the guard with a rock, I did not switch over to Marcus. First ran across with Lucas, letting the game switch to Marcus, triggering the next distraction scene while still controlling Marcus. So...

Do not switch characters manually during Child's Play,

the game does it for you.

After that I finished the chapter and the Hard trophy popped when loading the next Oracle scene!

Did not have to delete and copy back the save, reinstall the game, move to Ps5 or anything.

Edited by Jolah85

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone's truly desperate and still stuck, I used this video playlist for my playthrough and got the hard mode trophy. Only differences from my playthrough:

1. I didn't perfectly do all of the QTEs; for the trophy-related ones I did quit to the game menu and hit continue to retry.
  2. I unlocked Obsession at a different point and I don't know why. The Dark Omen tarot card didn't appear for me until the second time I played the chapter, but otherwise I just matched their movements.
  3. At one point in Fate on Russian Hills, Lucas glitched through the floor in my game. After a few seconds he reappeared so I don't think it messed anything up.
  4. I did not get Leap of Faith on the first playthrough (I really feel like I should've but the game had other ideas and that's a whole different topic).
  5. My first ending was An Uncertain Fate (I wanted the easiest QTEs on Hard).

Hope this helps someone!

• 4 months later...

well, I just beat the game on hard for the first time (while getting all the chapter-related trophies, which means often quitting the game and hitting continue) and the trophy popped up normally at the end. I also got all the tarot cards on the way. I remember acessing the options menu too but that didn't void the trophy, it seems.

PS: I made sure to not get noticed on "Child's Play" or swap between characters as mentioned by some users above, so maybe that did the trick, idk.

Edited by GanseySargent

• 1 month later...

I can confirm, child's play replaying worked for me aswell on first try. After I tried 10 times or so to replay the last chapter. Thank you!

Edit: While replaying I got caught several times and still trophy popped. So in case, you don't need a perfect run.

Edited by I3arbiQ

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone, after finishing the game on hard difficulty and the trophy not popping up for me, I went to see if there is any fix for the bug, after trying several possible solutions I found on the internet, I think I found the real fix, what worked for me is to reply the "child's play" from chapter select, then I used the third option, the one that says will delete your progress, however, what I think it makes the difference is that when you play you should make sure not to manually change roles between Lucas and Marcus, play as Lucas to distract the guard and then as Lucas go to where he will wait for Marcus, the game will automatically change to Marcus, then keep using Marcus to distract the second guard, then the game will change again to Lucas, finish the level and the trophy should appear in the oracle scene, just an additional note, I got caught by one of the lights, so it doesn't need to be perfect. I hope this helps everyone struggling with the trophy. 

• 1 month later...

holy shit i just unlocked it after i don't know how many years and tries. i used chapter select and chose the 3rd option, i got caught a ton of times since i had forgotten the pattern since it had been a while since i last tried but that means it doesn't have to be perfect, and i didn't manually switch characters which i could swore i had done before but possibly not. regardless, that does seem to be the way and absolutely fuck this trophy