Monthly Madness 2019 Edition - Even

Vote for December  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Another year Monthly Madness?

• Count me in!
    • Depends on the themes
    • Thanks, I'll pass

Ups, I'm sorry I got a couple of trophies in 2019, but the stats are as it follows:

Plats earned - 39

100% Completed - 40

Completion Rate - 81,40%

So as for this month's theme, I will play Rime, which I earned last year of 2018 :P I'm already halfway the second level (I think it has a total of five). I'm planning to do blind playthrough to enjoy the game, then get all collectibles and misc trophies on my second playthrough.

23 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

You might want to add at least this links to the OP:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Instant_Game_Collection_games_(PAL_region)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Instant_Game_Collection_games_(North_America)

Just actually went through this list and I have more HC games than I thought lol so thank you.

I can also give Infamous First Light, Everybody's Gone to Rapture, Tearaway Unfolded and Ratchet & Clank since I've have them since release (although I will leave some to  @MarkusT1992 and @Dessane discretion since I haven't started three of them.

13 hours ago, eigen-space said:

I'm using Type:Rider for my event in a couple weeks, so probably that. I only have one trophy left, but it's for a "No Death Run" of a level that I've attempted dozens of times....

If that frustrates me too much, I'm probably going with Grim Fandango, 2064, or Heavy Rain. I'll like play more than one qualifying game this month though :)

It was the level with the shooting thing wasn't it? I had to try it several times myself. Sometimes you can glitch the shooting secion. I'm not quite sure anymore how but I think you have to jump to the left the first time it shoot on the minecart thing. If done correctly it just disappears and makes the level a bit easier.

12 hours ago, Briste said:

My only HC option is Space Hulk, which I doubt I'll platinum this month. I bought several games after they were on PS+ for free since I didn't start paying attention to the free games until this year. I've bought Grim Fandango Remastered, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3, Super Meat Boy, Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Addition, and Life is Strange all after they were free but I've yet to play. I also bought several before they were free but already 1f4af.png them. Is it possible to use one of those others or it has to have been bought before? If so no biggie, I have plenty of options for the regular challenge.

You already got your answer but I will put it in the main post later for others.

4 hours ago, Violino said:

You can use any game no matter if you started it or not. For this month's hardcore requirement I'm going to trust that people bought the game instead of getting it from PS+

The next months should be easier to tell if it counts for hardcore or not.

28 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

It was the level with the shooting thing wasn't it? I had to try it several times myself. Sometimes you can glitch the shooting secion. I'm not quite sure anymore how but I think you have to jump to the left the first time it shoot on the minecart thing. If done correctly it just disappears and makes the level a bit easier.

Yeah, that is the exact level. I figured out how to get the glitch to work like 90% of the time, but I always screw up after that part during the "easy" sections... because I'm so excited that I got past the hard stuff :facepalm:

5 hours ago, eigen-space said:

Yeah, that is the exact level. I figured out how to get the glitch to work like 90% of the time, but I always screw up after that part during the "easy" sections... because I'm so excited that I got past the hard stuff :facepalm:

I know that feeling, happend for me as well.

IIRC the hard part takes some time to reach as well what made replaying that level a bit frustrating. But I'm sure you can do it with some practice.

Hey, first Monthly Madness platinum knocked off early in the month with finishing the platinum for Master Reboot, given out by PS+ in Oct 2018. No hardcore since I didn't own it prior (though I had thought about it).  It also gets me the challenge for another event since it scores for me in the New Years Competition. 

Wow, nice to have that out of the way early.  Maybe I'll go for the 4 event games in a month and get that knocked off as well.

Edit: just noticed another challenge, finishing a game you started that month so that's knocked off too. Wow, I'm on a roll this year.

Edited by Kevvik
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Kevvik said:

Hey, first Monthly Madness platinum knocked off early in the month with finishing the platinum for Master Reboot, given out by PS+ in Oct 2018. No hardcore since I didn't own it prior (though I had thought about it).  It also gets me the challenge for another event since it scores for me in the New Years Competition. 

Wow, nice to have that out of the way early.  Maybe I'll go for the 4 event games in a month and get that knocked off as well.

Edit: just noticed another challenge, finishing a game you started that month so that's knocked off too. Wow, I'm on a roll this year.

I was wondering who would post up the first platinum for this event. Congrats mate. Game looks interesting, did you enjoy it?

5 hours ago, Dessane said:

I was wondering who would post up the first platinum for this event. Congrats mate. Game looks interesting, did you enjoy it?

It was interesting. I liked the fact that outside of a really basic tutorial, it didn't hold your hand going through. The story was interesting but you really needed the collectibles to flesh it out.  The puzzles weren't too hard to figure out and were fairly straightforward.

The weak spot I felt was the platforming aspect. While you didn't really lose progress, going back to a recent checkpoint, falling off a digital platform that you didn't quite hit right several times took away from the enjoyment sometimes. Jumping didn't feel intuitive, as it often doesn't in first person platforming, which would spoil the atmosphere that had developed. This was especially notable at the end where a trophy required a timed sequence to be beaten by a fair amount and one section of 5 was really the key to the whole thing. A clean run pretty much made the trophy a sure thing while anything short of that would screw you.

Overall though, I liked it, 7/10 from me.

• Like 1

Just finished Comix Zone.

Like many of the other Sega Classics that were released as separate games CZ wasn't a game I enjoyed as it felt quite unfair. Besides losing health when you get hit you also lose health when you have to destroy obstacles with your punches and kicks or when you successfully hit an enemy. Yeah, you take damage when you hit the enemy. :facepalm: Wouldn't it be for the save states this game would be impossible to beat for me. But even with save states it's annoying as there's barely any items to restore health and you only have one life for the whole game. Finishing the game actually takes only about 20 minutes if as it's rather short but it took me about 4 hours in total as I had to save and reload in a constant fashion.

On the good side is the fact that the game has a rather unique artstyle/concept given the fact that the levels consists of several sub-sections which are aligned like comic panels.

The game applies for the following challenges:

• Complete a 10 year old game.
    --> Comix Zone was originally released for the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis in 1995. The PSN-version is the same game only with the additional feature of save states
  • Complete a game that counts towards a different PSNP event.
    --> Will be used for Bingo Bonanza
  • Complete a game that fulfills the Hardcore requirement of that month
    --> Bought the game in September 2014 (image is from the media history) and it was initially part of the European IGC in 2011. 
  • Complete a game that you started this month
    --> Started the game yesterday (January 3rd)

Hope to finish at least one other game for this month but will see if I stick to that or not. 

I could've sworn I'd signed up for this, but it must have slipped my mind... and so did making a note of my stats on Jan 1st.  Good start to the year!

Current, slightly-belated stats:

• Platinum trophies: 43
  • Total 100% completed titles: 55
  • Completion percentage: 46.91%

On 4.1.2019 at 8:09 PM, Crimson Idol said:

Just finished Comix Zone.

Like many of the other Sega Classics that were released as separate games CZ wasn't a game I enjoyed as it felt quite unfair. Besides losing health when you get hit you also lose health when you have to destroy obstacles with your punches and kicks or when you successfully hit an enemy. Yeah, you take damage when you hit the enemy. :facepalm: Wouldn't it be for the save states this game would be impossible to beat for me. But even with save states it's annoying as there's barely any items to restore health and you only have one life for the whole game. Finishing the game actually takes only about 20 minutes if as it's rather short but it took me about 4 hours in total as I had to save and reload in a constant fashion.

On the good side is the fact that the game has a rather unique artstyle/concept given the fact that the levels consists of several sub-sections which are aligned like comic panels.

The game applies for the following challenges:

• Complete a 10 year old game.
    --> Comix Zone was originally released for the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis in 1995. The PSN-version is the same game only with the additional feature of save states
  • Complete a game that counts towards a different PSNP event.
    --> Will be used for Bingo Bonanza
  • Complete a game that fulfills the Hardcore requirement of that month
    --> Bought the game in September 2014 (image is from the media history) and it was initially part of the European IGC in 2011. 
  • Complete a game that you started this month
    --> Started the game yesterday (January 3rd)

Hope to finish at least one other game for this month but will see if I stick to that or not. 

Updated you.

Half of the challenges already completed with only one game. Nice done!

@InfinateEternity You still have to post your starting stats.

I realised I never said what I was working on this month :P I'm working on finally picking up the plat for Rocket League, it's a very chill list and I only had a couple of trophies left (drive 50KM and play online with a friend) one is a grind which I almost finished yesterday and the other just requires boosting. Should be done early this month giving me time to get back into the kingdom hearts series in time for 3 :) 

6 hours ago, Dessane said:

I realised I never said what I was working on this month :P I'm working on finally picking up the plat for Rocket League, it's a very chill list and I only had a couple of trophies left (drive 50KM and play online with a friend) one is a grind which I almost finished yesterday and the other just requires boosting. Should be done early this month giving me time to get back into the kingdom hearts series in time for 3 :) 

Let me know if you need help with something in Rocket League. Playing one game together should be possible even with a probable bad ping.

• Like 1

@MarkusT1992 @Dessane if you guys need help with rocket league i dont mind helping either. One tip for the 50km is only use one set of wheels as its a bit of a glitchy trophy and sometimes takes one set of wheels getting to 70-80 km to pop

Finished my first game of the month being Onrush. While Onrush is an decent game, it just gets repetitive way to fast. there are 4 different modes in it and are fairly simple to do the challenges as long as the AI on your team Dont screw you over by doing nothing which happens a bunch. if going for this plat i recommend doing it with friends as its more fun and easier to do.

it also counts towards the challenges: 

• Complete a game that you started this month (January  1st)
  • Complete a game that counts towards a different PSNP event.(Bingo Bonanza)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ampplaca said:

@MarkusT1992 @Dessane if you guys need help with rocket league i dont mind helping either. One tip for the 50km is only use one set of wheels as its a bit of a glitchy trophy and sometimes takes one set of wheels getting to 70-80 km to pop

Finished my first game of the month being Onrush. While Onrush is an decent game, it just gets repetitive way to fast. there are 4 different modes in it and are fairly simple to do the challenges as long as the AI on your team Dont screw you over by doing nothing which happens a bunch. if going for this plat i recommend doing it with friends as its more fun and easier to do.

I only need the latest DLC pack, which I plan to do for the 10 things I hate about games event starting later this month. I was planning to do it with Kevvik.

I'm just offering help for Dessane in case he needs somebody for the "play with a friend" trophy.

Maybe we can team up with 4 people for the Best of the Bunch trophy.

4 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

I only need the latest DLC pack, which I plan to do for the 10 things I hate about games event starting later this month. I was planning to do it with Kevvik.

I'm just offering help for Dessane in case he needs somebody for the "play with a friend" trophy.

Maybe we can team up with 4 people for the Best of the Bunch trophy.

originally was going to do a different dlc for the 10 things i hate about games event but was going to change it to the Club DLC as well so id be down come the 12th to do that

I already have a few games in mind that I could complete for this month, but first I have a quick question. Does it need to be the exact version that's been offered as PS+ game for the hardcore requirement? As an example, I bought the PS3 version of Heavy Rain a couple of months before the PS4 version was available through PS+. Would completing any of those versions now count towards the Hardcore challenge? 

1 minute ago, Lojtana said:

I already have a few games in mind that I could complete for this month, but first I have a quick question. Does it need to be the exact version that's been offered as PS+ game for the hardcore requirement? As an example, I bought the PS3 version of Heavy Rain a couple of months before the PS4 version was available through PS+. Would completing any of those versions now count towards the Hardcore challenge? 

Actually I thought about that quite some time.

I want to play Zero Time Dilema which was free for the Vita. I only have the PS4 version of it though.

Personally I won't use it for this event. But if you really want to use Heavy Rain on PS3 I would count it for you. Technically they are the same ganes.

11 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

Let me know if you need help with something in Rocket League. Playing one game together should be possible even with a probable bad ping.

That would be great actually, I'll flick you a friend request when I'm next on the PS4 and if you're online at the same time as me we can do a quick match.

17 hours ago, Metal Slime King said:

Got 100% completion on PS4 version of King Oddball that I got off PS+. No platinum. Also fulfills the challenge "Complete a game started this month."

Hey mate, congrats. Which trophy would you like to use from it since it doesn't have a platinum trophy

10 hours ago, Ampplaca said:

Got you updated, congrats on finishing your first month for the year.

29 minutes ago, Dessane said:

Hey mate, congrats. Which trophy would you like to use from it since it doesn't have a platinum trophy

Oh, you need to pick a particular trophy for 100% games? I thought it was just worth a gold star or something. This one I guess.

Full of Diamonds
16L713a3e.png

I also got 100% in Darkstalkers Resurrection (PS+ July 2017) today. So this event prompted me to revisit those combo trials at least. :awesome: That game was released in 2013 but it was a re-release of two games released in 1995 and 1997 so I it should qualify for the challenge "Complete a 10 year old game." Although I liked the characters I found the moves really finicky to chain together. Guess I'll pick this trophy since it's the last one I picked up.

First Son of Uros

5Lb93fa9.png

• Like 1

@Metal Slime King with the 100% games you will get a gold rating for the month, You still get the image next to your first game of the month like the platinum level. i'll update you when I get back to my desk and you'll see what I mean

ETA: Challenges only have a platinum grade so I'm afraid those games wont count for the challenges sorry

Edited by Dessane
  • Like 1