Monthly Madness 2019 Edition - Even

Vote for December  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Another year Monthly Madness?

• Count me in!
    • Depends on the themes
    • Thanks, I'll pass

Completed my second entry for the month: Batman, which was PS+ January of last year. It also qualifies for challenges:

• Complete a game that counts towards a different PSNP event. (Bingo event)
  • Complete a game that you started this month (started just a few days ago)

I'm really hoping I can get a couple more done to finish the 4 games in a month challenge. This seems like the most likely month for me to be able to achieve that, since I have soooo many PS+ games on my backlog. But, I also finally started on Dragon Quest XI that I got for a Christmas gift, so we'll see :D

9 hours ago, Kittet3 said:

Can I do the HC challenger with a game with no platinum?

Yes you can. Every game that at least grants a :gold: rating also counts for the challenges. :gold: is for 100% completing the base list of a game without a platinum.

I myselfe completed two more games that count for this event.

First there is Soma which was part of PS+ last month. It counts for the following challenges:

• Different event: It counts for Bingo Bonanza
  • Hardcore: I bought it way back in 2016
  • Started this month: started 14th January

The second game is Burly Men at Sea (PS+ tow months ago) A pretty short but also boring game. The first few playthroughts where somewhat interesting but the remaining ones to get the plat where boring to read again and again. These challenges are completed with this game:

• Different event: 10 Things I hate about Games
  • Started this month: Started and finished 19th January.
  • 4 in a month: Together with Guacamelee STCE, Hatoful Boyfriend and Soma
Edited by MarkusT1992
  • Like 3

I thought this was going to be an easy month, but I'm having so much trouble with this theme. At first, I was going to do Dragon Age, but I have no idea if I have 10 or 50 hours left and that's a gamble I didn't want to take. I switched to Sly Cooper, but the arcade machines are proving to be super difficult. I then switched to Rock of Ages but I just know I'll get stuck on the time trials. :dunno: Maybe I should try someone easier like Soma or Master Reboot just so I can say I crossed something off my to-do list.

• Like 1

Cleared a couple more games for the month.

The Jackbox Party Pack 2 (PS3) :gold:  (November 2018)

• Counts towards a different event (10 Things I Hate)
  • Complete a game you started this month

Quite an easy game to clear if you're just aiming for the trophies and if you abuse the pause trick in Bomb Corp. Still, Jackbox games are always a blast if you've got some friends over.

Foul Play  :platinum: (September 2018)

I'm not quite sure why this game got terrible reviews. While unpolished, the fundamentals are there and I personally had a good time with it. If you like beat-em' ups, I would recommend it.

Broken Age  :platinum: (October 2015)

• Complete 4 games within one month (The 3 in this post + Remember Me)
  • Complete a game you started this month

This was a charming adventure game to go through. Really pretty to look at, interesting mechanic with the 2 main characters and not too long to complete. Also a recommendation.

I'm pretty sure that will be all the PS+ games I will complete this month. Already looking at what I will be using for next month's challenge and I'm curious what people have in mind for their selection; especially for the Hardcore requirement.

Also, is it possible to fix my name in the participant list? My username is spelled with 2 K and no C.

Edited by ArtikSkarab
  • Like 2

I did it, 4 games completed for this month. 2064 Read Only Memories, Resogun, Sky Force Anniversary, and the newest addition is Strider. Strider is a reboot of the 1989 Strider so it's essentially a remake of a 10+ year old game. I'll also use this for the Bingo challenge and it was started and finished this month. 

• Like 2

I completed two more games. No new challenges beaten, but I'm listing them anyway.

Transistor (February 2015)

• Counts towards a different PSNP event: Bingo Bonanza
  • The Hardcore requirement: I bought it this month
  • Started this month

SOMA (December 2018)

• Counts towards a different PSNP event: 10 Thing I Hate About Games
  • Started this month

One more and I'll have my four in a month. Hopefully, I can get another one done in a week.

12 hours ago, Kittet3 said:

Is there a specific timezone this event uses for the cut-off?

There will be a post at the end of each month that works as a roll over. From that post you still (officially) have 24h left to finish everything up. I think I will do the post on the last day of a month in the evening. Since I'm in GMT+1 for some it is earlier and for some it's later.

In the past you still were able to submit your games after a few days in the next month.

6 hours ago, ZachGM91 said:

I completed two more games. No new challenges beaten, but I'm listing them anyway.

Transistor (February 2015)

• Started this month

SOMA (December 2018)

• Counts towards a different PSNP event: 10 Thing I Hate About Games
  • Started this month

One more and I'll have my four in a month. Hopefully, I can get another one done in a week.

In case you didn't know, you can complete each challenge multiple times. You'll get an additional star for each game that counts for a challenge.

A fast game you could use is Burly Men at Sea. I finished it in about 5h but with a few hours breaktime. You can do it in 1-2 hours.

Since we are with in a week of February starting and it'll most likely be a clothes challenge, I wanted to start getting some ideas out there. 

The base requirement is a game that involves the ability to change clothes. There are a ton of these out there so fulfilling the basic requirement seems easy. Any game where you can change costumes essentially. Since it doesn't directly effect gameplay, those don't qualify for the HC challenge. So most RPGs come to mind, especially JRPGs. 

With that said, and the HC challenge, I'd imagine any of those games where you get new armor, AND you can actually see the said armor you're wearing, will count. That armour plays a major role after all affecting your stats. So something like Skyrim or Dragon Age for example. 

There are other games that aren't RPGs as well. Akaba Strip is a good example where it's your clothes means life or death with vampires and they can "break" during combat. I got a small game a couple months ago called School Girl Zombie Hunter and that's one I plan on for HC challenge myself. Your skills get stronger the longer you wear the same, um, undergarments as well as the ability to distract your enemies by, eh, stripping down and throwing your clothes at them. Don't judge people. 

But anyway, I hope that helps out and any further ideas is always welcome so people can find and play games for the challenge if they so choose. 

@Champ147 Regarding the RPG stuff you said, that's exactly what I was thinking as well. For the hardcore you should see the armor on your character. For the normal requirement it would be enought if you have different armors.

Other games I had in mind for the hardcore requirement were the Hitman games and Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation. If I remember corectly you have to switch clothes in Liberation to avaoid getting cought and it changes what you can do. Hitman should be obvious.

I'll think of some more games as the next month approaches.

18 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

@Champ147 Regarding the RPG stuff you said, that's exactly what I was thinking as well. For the hardcore you should see the armor on your character. For the normal requirement it would be enought if you have different armors.

Other games I had in mind for the hardcore requirement were the Hitman games and Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation. If I remember corectly you have to switch clothes in Liberation to avaoid getting cought and it changes what you can do. Hitman should be obvious.

I'll think of some more games as the next month approaches.

Yup, just as I was thinking. I did post down that you actually have to be able to SEE the armor that you are wearing. That is why I used Skyrim and Dragon Age as examples. And with you mentioning AC3, I guess Syndicate would count as well. You can change your capes that will change your ability or stats if I recall and those capes are all visibly seen on your character while playing. I'm sure there are plenty of other games out there as well that fit in the HC challenge but I was just trying to get the ideas flowing for people. Plus, for myself anyway, I think RPG's for this challenge, and many RPG's can take a while to finish. So mentioning that now with the new month on the horizon can give people the time needed to finish such a game. 

Ok, finished 2 Plus games this month, and a bunch of bonus challenges

Guacamelee STCE

• Complete a game that counts towards a different PSNP event. - used this for the DLC category in the 10 Things I hate about Gaming event
  • Complete a game that fulfills the Hardcore requirement of that month. - I bought this Nov 3, 2014, it was free on Plus May 2015
  • Complete all currently released DLC of a game (games only count once, even if more DLC is released throughout the event). - Completed the Frenemies DLC
  • Complete a game that you started this month - All trophies were earned this month

Escape Plan

• This was in the Nov 2014 free Plus lineup

As a bonus, I have also completed more than 4 games this month (Planet Rix, Rogue Trooper Redux, Atomine, RocketsRocketsRockets, The Wardrobe, Nightmares from the Deep 3 and One Word by POWGI)

So, it seems I won't be able to get Rime's Platinum, so I'll stick by the silver rank this month. Hope next month gets better, even though I will be one week away on holidays, but I will take my Vita will me. Since the next month is about clothing, I will probably complete either Freedom Wars or Senran Kagura: Bon Appétit.

After focusing on other games to start the month i've finally completed my first game that qualifies.

Batman (telltale), it also qualifies me for the following challenges:

Hard Challenge : as i owned the disc version before it was on PS+

Complete a game you started this month:

Complete a game that counts towards a different PSNP event.: i'm using this for one of my squares in bingo bonanza

now to see what else i can finish before the end of the month.

Alright, I think I hit all of my goals for this month, so it's time for an update. I'll keep it short.

Following games were completed: Ultratron, Level 22, Type:Rider, Dungeon Punks, with Dungeon Punks pushing me to the platinum rank.

Also, the following challenges were completed:

• Complete a game that counts towards a different PSNP event (Type:Rider and Ultratron, both for the 10 Things I Hate About Games)
  • Complete a game that you started this month 
  • Complete 4 games within one month

Was pretty close to finishing CastleStorm DLC for the respective challenge, but those last five-star roadblocks turned out a bit too roadblocky for my taste. Maybe one day.

Everyone up to this point should be up to date :) I also fixed up your name @ArtikSkarab

My game this month was inspired by @Briste, I ended up going through Grim Fandango, A great old fashioned game but the tank controls were a bit of a pain. Playing through without a guide was a good decision too.

With next month looking like it will certainly be the clothing option I have managed to prep a plat for that to knock it off on day 1. I've got only a few more minutes left of Steep before I pick up the plat for that month.

• Like 2

I did it! I actually finished a game for the month!

It wasn't my first choice. Or my fourth choice. But it's a game and it counts and that's all I needed. 

I completed Soma, which was the PSPlus game in December. I actually ended up loving it a lot more then I thought I would, especially the ending.

I don't know if I'm eligible for challenges with just a gold ranking, but I did complete the "Complete a game that you started this month" and "Complete a game that counts towards a different PSNP event."

I also learned that I should probably start my game earlier in the month :P For next month, I know I'm going to put a bit of time into Don't Starve which has quite a bit clothing choices in it, but it's a bit of a higher difficulty then I would feel comfortable committing too. Maybe The Escapist: The Walking Dead? I know the first one had some costume changes. :hmm: I'll probably wait and see what others put.

With one day to spare, I beat one more game.

Until Dawn (July 2017)

• Complete 4 games within one month: inFAMOUS 2, Transistor, SOMA, and Until Dawn
  • Started this month
  • Like 1

Hey I did it! :) 
Man this one was so hard to me, but I got this platinum, after 3 playthroughs.

Fallen Legion: Flames of Rebellion (January 2019)

• Counts towards a different PSNP event: 10 Things I Hate About Games;
  • Started this month.

Only now that I see "HCR: Any game you bought before or after it was part of PS+", it just made one game available for me to finish in a couple of hours, maybe I'll try it or notHa, look at me trying to complete things in the last day. Anyway, but this one was enough for me, I even thought I wasn't going to get it.

• Like 2