Having a hard time legendary fishing? I can help you!!!

XjaegerbombX

Hello all,

I've read here a lot of you have a hard time fishing. Well, I have some info that will help you that Rockstar doesn't tell you.

Catching & Hooking a fish is easy (R2). But the Legendary Fish can be a hassle. Here are all my tips.

(1) When you've hooked the fish (R2) *immediately* hold R3. See, what the game doesn't tell you is that when the fish is fighting you that it's also spooling the line (going out further). Holding R3 down will prevent the fish from dragging the line out further.

(2) When fighting fish vs legendary fish you can feel the difference on your vibrations & the "tick" sound when reeling in. A faster reel with "tickticktickticktick" means a very small fish, but the big ass fish will always have a "tick.....tick....tick..." even tho you're reeling in super fast. So just keep that in mind.

(3) You've caught your fish, now what? Well never ever "reel-in" when "fighting the fish" -- always wait until the fish is tired. If you see the fish swim left then LS (left stick) right. If it goes right then LS left. Always go the Opposite direction the fish swims. If you have a hard time seeing try 1st person mode. You get a much more realistic approach & can see better.

(4) You've almost got the fish but my fingers are starting to hurt! Well here is a great tip: Left Stick Down. That's right -- LS Down will actually pull the line in more & get you the fish much faster.

Example of everything described.

Cast out. R2 to hook the fish followed by an immediate holding down of R3 and flicking the LS in opposite directions the fish swims. When reelinging in with RS constantly flick down with LS to "pull-in" the fish faster. When the fish resumes its struggle, hold down R3 and use LS again in opposite directions to avoid snapping the line. Keep applying these techniques and you'll have your legendary fish in a matter of minutes.

(5) Finally: and this should be number one but screw it. Always use your Special Lures. You only need one of each type: Lake, River & Swamp. But they're important to have as they will always get you legendary fish.

I've also noticed that if you stand "exactly" where the notation of the legendary fish locations are, you can catch it on a first try. For example, look at this picture I took from the Official Guide:

M5NAZgh.jpg 

I noticed when fishing here I could never get that Legendary Muskie. Always some other damn fish I didn't need and wasted my time/energy. But... If you stand at that EXACT spot that it shows in the picture above, with the Special Lure equipped, you will get it first time.

And that's it. I hope these tips help you. They've certainly been useful to me when fishing so I thought I'd help my fellow trophy hunters out and tell you what I know.

Add me on PS4 if you wanna play RDR2Online: @dokkanexpert

• Like 4

I did all the legendary fish catching today, and I didn't find it a problem, but it took a while before I got the hang out of the fishing.
I love to fish ingame, but I can understand some people find the fishing controls kinda diffecult becasue you need rotate and reel-in with 2 hand in oposite directions.

The one that I did find annoying was that legendary fish at the lighthouse Van Horn trading post.
You have to stand on a rock to be in the right position to catch it, but then you have catched it, and then you need to get the fish off that rock.

Spoiler

And since John can't swim, it took me ages to get off with the fish.

Finally figured out that my horse (Shire) was just big enough to step on the rock with me, put the fish on it, and step of the rock without swimming and not lose the fish.
I kinda found that the hardest part of the whole fishing.... ?

Also I could not get to that location of the map from the topic starter's image.
The rocks where way to slippery over there.

Edited by NL_Sion
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NL_Sion said:

You have to stand on a rock to be in the right position to catch it

You certainly don't have to stand on a "standalone" rock. I caught this particular fish from the coast and just walked to my horse. No issues (with water or swimming) whatsoever. :)

Edited by HusKyCode

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, jackmadrox said:

Yeah but do you press the R3 button in, or just hold it down? That spooling is a bitch, I'm just about to give up on the legendary fish. 

You can pull the fish towards you while spinning R3 flick forward then backwards and spin like mad if you don't cast all the way out most of the time you can catch a fish before the first struggle.

11 hours ago, Lightsp33d1987 said:

You can pull the fish towards you while spinning R3 flick forward then backwards and spin like mad if you don't cast all the way out most of the time you can catch a fish before the first struggle.

I've done that, the line always snaps. I know you're supposed to hold down L3 to drag the fish towards you, and reel with R3, but when the next struggle occurs, all that progress gets undone. I need to know how to prevent the fish from pulling the line out further during a struggle.

1 hour ago, jackmadrox said:

I've done that, the line always snaps. I know you're supposed to hold down L3 to drag the fish towards you, and reel with R3, but when the next struggle occurs, all that progress gets undone. I need to know how to prevent the fish from pulling the line out further during a struggle.

With the bigger fish you can't hold R3 to one side for to long as it will snap so you can try to hold a little then let go but then soon as the struggle ends you want to flick and spin like mad and make progress before the next struggle, It's one of those things it's much easier once you get the technique right you can reel fish in really fast.