Platinum guides/tips/hours

Hey guys. Just seen that MGSV is £6 on PSN right now! 

I've always wanted to give it a go but heard the Platinum was a real slog. 

Anyone know any tips or what the best guide available is and what sort of hours are we looking at. I read someone say the guides are a little bit out of date so thought I'd ask.. 

9 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I played it earlier this year so I can give you an idea of how long it will take.

First, no one lied to you. xD The platinum is a slog and the gameplay gets repetitive IMO due to the generic side missions, which there are 150 total and roughly, 110-120 are generic ones.

The guide on here is fine, as you'll figure out pretty quickly the most efficient way to complete missions and most of the supplies will be found doing the actual side missions. Though Youtube will be your best friend to S-rank all the missions (or even complete some of them for that matter). However, I thought I'd give you my 2 cents on how to tackle this efficiently.

1. First just play through the story and work on maximizing your bonds with D-Dog, D-Horse, and Quiet. Quiet will go up the fastest most likely and the easiest way to increase all of their bonds is to give them commands WHILE in main missions. I will tell you from experience, it hardly goes up in side missions or roaming around the game. Seriously, I did like 20 in a row and D-Dog's didn't budge at all. Don't really worry about your rankings on the first playthrough because it's far easier with better weapons and camo that you get later on through development.
  2. D-Dog will make search, rescue, or capture side missions much easier while Quiet will help with missions that require you to kill/stun a lot of foes. Side missions do not have ranks so abuse the hell out of everything if you have the GMP (the game currency).
  3. Develop, Develop, Develop! This means develop your weapons and your base as much as possible. Don't make yourself go into the red on currency, but be mindful when you have a bunch of GMP sitting around. Weapons also take a lot of time to create, especially later and will only develop with in-game time! This is why you want to work on this early so you a.) have good weapons to use and b.) Are not grinding this towards the end.
  4. There are online missions where you can send your troops to collect items/GMP. DO THIS CONSTANTLY. This is an easy way to earn lots of currency quickly.... Speaking of which...
  5. If you are short on GMP, invade someone else's FOB (available after mission 22 or so) and sneak to the door without being seen. This is so ridiculously easy if you pick a low ranked base as you can literally crawl on your stomach to the finish line while only needing to shoot a few tranquilizer bullets along the way. Doing this perfectly without being seen and without killing will net you like 34,000 GMP in like 5 minutes. Which is over 400,000 GMP an hour. I did a couple of harder ones that netted me 55K to 60K, but these were a little more difficult to pull off and took a little more time (8-10 minutes instead). Anyways, just screw up and find the exit the first time you try this, then literally crawl your way to it. I did this towards the end to develop items quicker and found it much more efficient way of gathering GMP than redoing side missions I already did as those have lots of driving and the loading between them is long.
  6. Get your Hero rank maxed out BEFORE making the nuclear bomb or the platinum will become almost impossible. You need 150,000 cumulative for the trophy, which I got after pretty much playing through EVERYTHING once because I was not stealthy and killed a lot of people. Making the nuke will lower it by 50,000 which is a F+ton of points.
  7. Lastly, plan out which side missions you want to do ahead of time. Exiting the field and reentering wastes so much time. Omg, it's so obnoxious to have to enter/exit via heli all the freaking time to go to a different location, and it annoyed the hell out of me.

Thank you for the time and effort you put in to this man! 

I didn't expect such a detailed, comprehensive answer so I'm very grateful ? I'm going to try and tackle this at some point in the new year and I'll definitely make use of your strategies. I think I'll have to wait for a drought in releases before I take this one on though haha! 

• Like 3