Official 'Channel Catfish' Thread -- the 14th Legendary Fish

XjaegerbombX

*Possible Spoilers if you haven't reached the End-Game*

So yesterday I decided to catch ALL the legendary fish. I got a letter from Jeremy McGil & we went to the Rio Bravo river to try to catch the "Legendary Channel Catfish" that weighs approximately 200lbs.

*SPOILERS -- LAST CHANCE!*

The cutscene was amazing & my wife & I laughed so hard. Before what happened had happened I said to my wife, "I really hope this fish just comes outta the water & swallows this guy whole!"

A minute later something funnier happened. Jeremy McGil was pulled into the water by this gigantious fish & nothing but his Special Hat & Spinner were left.

The official guide shows NOTHING about the existence of this legendary fish. However, it is marked on my map now.

Speculations & Theories are that we have all been catfished by Rockstar & Jeremy McGIL (Gil as in "Gill" on a fish). All the fish that *I* caught are on *his* wall as if he caught them. McGil is a bafoon obviously.

However... *SOMETHING PULLED HIM INTO THE WATER* which makes me believe this fish does exist.

I have contacted Rockstar & the guy who replied said that he personally tried and gave up after 17 hours. But he also said he cannot leak any PLOT information.

So why would a Rockstar employee fish for something that doesn't exist? He wouldn't reveal anything other than the fact that he himself tried fishing for it (17 hours???!!!) & gave up.

Another thing I should mention is Jeremy's horse. After the cutscene his horse it unidentifiable. I tried punching the horse but my hands went thru the horse. I tried to Study the horse & nothing. But searching the saddle bags worked but that horse kicked me so hard it killed me.

So lets keep this thread open -- if you have ANY info about this fish please share.

Theories? Speculations? Conspiracies? Post them here! Its better than Reddit at least.

On 12/17/2018 at 0:53 PM, BlackTorito said:

It’s already been said the fish is not catchable, and if you go to the compendium it states 1/1 and completed.

It is a bit of a puzzle, isn't it? The compendium only shows what needs to be completed for 100%, and is not an indicator that all fish have been caught; for instance, only one set of cigarette cards needs to be collected for the 100%, not all 12 sets.

I have "completed" the game (100%). Under my Compendium/Fish it says I have discovered 29/30 fish and the only gap is on page 2 which has all Legendary Fish. The gap is between the muskie and sockeye salmon. 

It seems possible that said fish can and is meant to be caught. If so, I'm guessing that one should use the silver spinner (the bait left by McGil when he caught the fish and then met his demise.

On 12/17/2018 at 1:42 PM, NL_Sion said:

I also have seen this in the weekend, but didn't cattch this one yet.

Now reading this, I wanna be the first to catch it, and post a screenshot of it.
As a master fisher, I am going for it.
Let's make this a challenge!!! 1f60e.png

I admire your enthusiasm, and wish you luck. Frankly, there is so much to do to plat this game that chasing this down is just not that appealing to me. Maybe after I get 70 gold medals and complete the online (and getting rank 50) I'll start chasing down UFOs, ghost trains, vampires and catfish.

2 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

It is a bit of a puzzle, isn't it? The compendium only shows what needs to be completed for 100%, and is not an indicator that all fish have been caught; for instance, only one set of cigarette cards needs to be collected for the 100%, not all 12 sets.

I have "completed" the game (100%). Under my Compendium/Fish it says I have discovered 29/30 fish and the only gap is on page 2 which has all Legendary Fish. The gap is between the muskie and sockeye salmon. 

It seems possible that said fish can and is meant to be caught. If so, I'm guessing that one should use the silver spinner (the bait left by McGil when he caught the fish and then met his demise.

I admire your enthusiasm, and wish you luck. Frankly, there is so much to do to plat this game that chasing this down is just not that appealing to me. Maybe after I get 70 gold medals and complete the online (and getting rank 50) I'll start chasing down UFOs, ghost trains, vampires and catfish.

The vampire is required for 100%. You get the Ornate Dagger.

My fish compendium is 30/30. I looked it up for you: https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/rdr2/compendium/fish

You are missing the Legendary Northern Pike (between the Sockeye & Salmon).

Add me for some Online play; @dokkanexpert

14 minutes ago, dokkanexpert said:

The vampire is required for 100%. You get the Ornate Dagger.

My fish compendium is 30/30. I looked it up for you: https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/rdr2/compendium/fish

You are missing the Legendary Northern Pike (between the Sockeye & Salmon).

Add me for some Online play; @dokkanexpert

Vampire Dagger is not necessary for 100%. Also the fish obviously doesn't exists. But maybe they will insert it throu some patch after a year or two... :D

4 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

There is no gap, the fish is in the compendium and states 100% completed. I have 30/30.

And Rockstar have said is not catchable, I just don’t remember where I read it.

• 3 weeks later...

I dunno, I feel like it is catchable but under extremely specific conditions. there are numerous hints, like the overcast weather and special spinner... may you need to use the special swamp lure as indicated in the official guide even if it's a river... but it is actually listed in the guide with it's weight so that seems odd. then again how freaking big must a 180lb catfish be lol