10 Things I Hate About Games, An Event (Event Over -- Badges Distributed)

I feel like Michael Corleone...every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in. I was going to take a break from events for a bit....but I'm going to go with my instincts on this one... saddle up partner! Or just sign me up... yeah let's do that one!

Edited by Briste
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mesopithecus said:

You could use Kingdom Hearts Final Mix for Speed Run, as it has the trophy for beating the game in 15 hours.  Then maybe use Kingdom Hearts 2 (or even 3 as I'm sure it will have a Proud/Critical mode) for Difficulty.

I'm sure you'll be getting Kingdom Hearts 3 on release, as I know you're a big Kingdom Hearts fan ;)

:o Maybe. I mean, I saw the final trailer and it was really dark, it made me wonder if everyone is going to... well, it was scary stuff.

Trophy speculation for KH3 aside, I think the rule for the Speedrun category invalidates the Speedster trophy:

2 hours ago, eigen-space said:

7) Speed Run Trophies -- Ain't nobody got time for that.

Complete a game that requires you to beat a certain boss, level, entire games, etc within a specified time limit for a trophy. The time mechanic must be real-world time rather than an in-game time mechanic (games like Atelier Rorona, Lightning Returns, Persona 5, etc won't count).

If the host of this thread will verify whether the Speedster trophy would count, I would be grateful.

1 minute ago, SuperSmash5U said:

If the host of this thread will verify whether the Speedster trophy would count, I would be grateful.

Yes, that trophy would work as the time scale is real-world time (what I'm trying to avoid is people choosing games where certain in-game actions deplete in-game time... like how a certain side quest may take half a day of in game time regardless of how much real-world time you spend on it). I'll try to re-word that requirement to make it more clear.
And if you need examples of "unpopular" games, I have plenty that have low player counts but were actually really good games... just... not well known :)

12 minutes ago, Kevvik said:

Is a list mandatory prior to entry or can we just fill as we go the way we did with Gaming by Numbers?

A list isn't mandatory, but read Rule #2 in the main post as it has some important information for people who choose not to announce their games ahead of time.

My list might change over time... we'll see. Bring on the MAYO!

Image result for my name is mayo

Category Game Qualifier
EZPZ My Name is Mayo (Vita) 97.93% Completion
Ultra Rare Oh...Sir! The Insult Simulator 3.05% Completion
Platinum-Less Type:Rider  
Unpopular Valthirian Arc: Hero School Story 440 Owners
DLC Ni No Kuni 2 DLC Pack 1: Adventure Pack
Difficulty Horizon: Zero Dawn (DLC) Ultra Hard Completion
Speed Run A Rose in the Twilight Speed Star, +4 others
MP Overcooked Does not play well with others
Peripherals Hidden Agenda PlayLink
Bad Rep Little Dragons Cafe 57 Metascore
  • Like 3

Perfect timing for this since I'm out of work for a couple of months from knee surgery. Sounds like fun so I'll give it a go.

I'll come up with a list soon as I check through my backlog for games that qualify.

11 minutes ago, eigen-space said:

A list isn't mandatory, but read Rule #2 in the main post as it has some important information for people who choose not to announce their games ahead of time.

Not a problem.  

Just to clarify, for the base game completion rate we are talking about trophy rarity, right?  So if the game has a plat it needs to be >80% or <5% to be blessed for the event, not an average completion rate of over 80% or less than 5%?  IE - Hollow Knight has a plat with 3.29% rarity but a completion rate of 22%.  Games without a plat would require to have at least 1 UR trophy to count for #2 similar to the DLC rule?

For #9 (peripherals, and I may be screwing myself here), will a game be considered where the peripherals are not mandatory? For example, games that are compatible with but do not necessarily require VR (such as RE7)?

26 minutes ago, Kevvik said:

Not a problem.  

Just to clarify, for the base game completion rate we are talking about trophy rarity, right?  So if the game has a plat it needs to be >80% or <5% to be blessed for the event, not an average completion rate of over 80% or less than 5%?  IE - Hollow Knight has a plat with 3.29% rarity but a completion rate of 22%.  Games without a plat would require to have at least 1 UR trophy to count for #2 similar to the DLC rule?

For #9 (peripherals, and I may be screwing myself here), will a game be considered where the peripherals are not mandatory? For example, games that are compatible with but do not necessarily require VR (such as RE7)?

Yes, it's completion percent (platinum rarity) rather than rate. Non-plat games also have their own completion percent rarity, so they'd use that (ex-- Song of the Deep (NA) has a 15.92% completion percent whereas its most rare trophy is 18.89%); the only time trophies would have to be looked at in the case of a non-plat game is when the game also has DLC, as the completion percentage will get fudged by the addition of the DLC.

For peripherals, the game needs to require the peripheral/accessory. So RE7 wouldn't count. A good rule of thumb on finding games with required accessories is to look at the game on the PlayStation Store. They will mention that the use of an additional device is required underneath the system specifications, whereas games that don't necessarily need it will only mention that it's compatible (for example, Moss mentions that VR is required but RE7 says it's VR compatible). The exception to the rule is if there's an actual trophy that requires the use of the device, even if the entire game doesn't require it.

Edited by eigen-space

Category

Game (With Region/Version) Qualifier
EZPZ Blackwood Crossing Completion 84.4%
Ultra Rare Darkest Dungeon Completion 1.66%
Platinum-Less Papers, Please  
Unpopular Banner Saga 3 281 Owners
DLC Banner Saga 2 DLC Pack 1 / Survival Mode
Difficulty Kingdom Hearts: CoM Proud Player Sora (a ton really)
Speed Run Kingdom Hearts Speedster
MP Rayman Legends First Steps
Peripherals Hidden Agenda Playlink
Bad Rep Space Hulk (Vita)

Metascore 58

Here is my list. Only one I'm not sure about is the peripheral one. Never used playlink. I have the camera thing, so I may change up that game to something that uses that. There's a good chance I can't complete everything...but I'll try!

Awesome idea and thanks for hosting!!

/Edit everything is NA region PS4 version except Space Hulk which is on the Vita

Edited by Briste
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, eigen-space said:

Yes, that trophy would work as the time scale is real-world time (what I'm trying to avoid is people choosing games where certain in-game actions deplete in-game time... like how a certain side quest may take half a day of in game time regardless of how much real-world time you spend on it). I'll try to re-word that requirement to make it more clear.

Thanks for letting me know. I might revise the list later. ;)

I'm shocked you didn't include missable trophies or trophies that can only be done on a NG+.

But count me in.  Won't get the extra special since I don't play MP games ever and don't have any peripherals, but completing 5 should be doable.  I know a good UR pick would be for me to finally get off my butt and do the PS4 stack of Ys Origin since I know that's doable in a reasonable timeframe.

Just now, ladynadiad said:

I'm shocked you didn't include missable trophies or trophies that can only be done on a NG+.

But count me in.  Won't get the extra special since I don't play MP games ever and don't have any peripherals, but completing 5 should be doable.  I know a good UR pick would be for me to finally get off my butt and do the PS4 stack of Ys Origin since I know that's doable in a reasonable timeframe.

Those were both considerations, but it's very hard for people to know if there are missables or NG+ trophies ahead of time if there isn't a guide or extensive forum discussion about it (and also would make my life much more difficult trying to verify that games are OK for categories)... also didn't want to get into the gray area of if games having Chapter Select can't have missables because you can easily go back to a chapter / negates NG+... or if using save slots smartly (like for games that have different character endings) would count as a second play through because *technically* you're only supposed to get one ending per play through.... etc.

Too messy for my tastes :P

I'm glad you're joining up again! I like reading all your commentary on games, and especially interested in what you have to say about Ys since that's been in my backlog for a while now.