'Grin & Bear It' - Weapon Selection, Kill Tips

MightyStewbacca

I need some help or just confirmation on this trophy related to your weapon selection for the post-wrestle animation kill moment.

I've noticed 2 things recently that are kind of contrary to past solution posts on this trophy:

1. Even if I have a rifle/repeater equipped in hand when attacked, after the wrestling & breaking free animation, Arthur will always pull out his main sidearm to fire at the bear. I've seen youtube guides where Arthur uses the rifle to shoot the bear, but those are videos from November, maybe this change was in a recent update?

2. Observation 1 didn't really matter, as I just equipped my Sawed Off Shotgun. After 4 attacks, I always killed the bear either with the first shot or second.

But last night I played and was attacked 3 times, and each time the bear survived both shotgun shells to the face. 

Did anyone else face this on occasion when grinding this trophy? It may just be another bit of luck required to earn it, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything. If you have any other ideas or tips for making sure you get the kill during that post QTE moment I'd appreciate it. 

My main sidearms were upgraded Schofield revolvers with express bullets, and it was only once that I didn't get the kill - that was when I was attacked by a second Grizzly right after the first Grizzly attack that left me with low health. That's six shots to the face/chest, and I didn't even have to aim.

• Like 1

huh, i have my game fully updated and every time i'm attacked i always pull out my longarm, so that is quite interesting. but ive used my sawed off and it has always worked as well. not sure why you're having troubles.

you could try crafting some explosive shotgun shells. i have shot many things with those and i can say that they will blow that bear's head clean off.

Edited by danceswithsloths
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 3:23 PM, MightyStewbacca said:

I need some help or just confirmation on this trophy related to your weapon selection for the post-wrestle animation kill moment.

I've noticed 2 things recently that are kind of contrary to past solution posts on this trophy:

1. Even if I have a rifle/repeater equipped in hand when attacked, after the wrestling & breaking free animation, Arthur will always pull out his main sidearm to fire at the bear. I've seen youtube guides where Arthur uses the rifle to shoot the bear, but those are videos from November, maybe this change was in a recent update?

2. Observation 1 didn't really matter, as I just equipped my Sawed Off Shotgun. After 4 attacks, I always killed the bear either with the first shot or second.

But last night I played and was attacked 3 times, and each time the bear survived both shotgun shells to the face. 

Did anyone else face this on occasion when grinding this trophy? It may just be another bit of luck required to earn it, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything. If you have any other ideas or tips for making sure you get the kill during that post QTE moment I'd appreciate it. 

Just a very very big heads up! I had to do 27 bear attacks before this trophy popped for one small reason: YOU MUST BE ON YOUR BACK WHEN YOU FIRE THE FATAL SHOTS ON THE GRIZZLY!

A few times I got up and then killed it. You *have* to be on your back!

Other tips:

You can kill two grizzly's in the tall trees region, another on a rock overlooking the nearest station, another up north O'Creags (sp?) (it's the ice pond).

Then you can go to Saint Denis via coach, sleep in saloon for 72 hours (72 hours is to reset the spawns & clear carcasses) & train back to the area and do it.

Also, when the bear is coming towards you. Best to avoid running or switching weapons just immediately run towards it. Else, it can swipe you in the face &  instant-kill you.

Anything else let me know.

Edited by dokkanexpert
  • Like 1

You can always check if it was counted or not in trophy page on social club. I am tracking my progress after each kill and I have to admit one of my kills wasn’t counted despite i did everything correctly - downed, stabbed the bear and finished it with sidearm shotgun 

4 hours ago, Sykacz said:

You can always check if it was counted or not in trophy page on social club. I am tracking my progress after each kill and I have to admit one of my kills wasn’t counted despite i did everything correctly - downed, stabbed the bear and finished it with sidearm shotgun 

Nevermind i found the trophies section. I'm 99% for zooologist. ? ? ? 

Edited by dokkanexpert

5 hours ago, Sykacz said:

Same thing happened to me. Has to make one more trip to finally unlock the trophy.

• 3 weeks later...